Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Retinue is completely worthless now. I owned enough of England to form Brittania and my retinue never got bigger than 700 troops. Barely enough to fend off vikings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Retinue is completely worthless now. I owned enough of England to form Brittania and my retinue never got bigger than 700 troops. Barely enough to fend off vikings.

Is this new-new? Cause somewhere in there they made it almost entirely based on tech+buildings but I haven't played much since Charlemagne

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Is this new-new? Cause somewhere in there they made it almost entirely based on tech+buildings but I haven't played much since Charlemagne

I dunno. I haven't really played much since charlemagne came out.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i usually get a bunch of archer retinues with a few light infantry ones then make one of my flanks entirely made up of archers with just enough infantry that it doesn't have the penalty

it melts everything on taht side and then the center pretty quickly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I have played ck2 almost 800 hours and I never bothered learning all the esoteric poo poo about the combat. It's not like eu4 where army composition is literally the difference between victory and death.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I have played ck2 almost 800 hours and I never bothered learning all the esoteric poo poo about the combat. It's not like eu4 where army composition is literally the difference between victory and death.

I dunno i dont really like wars in CK2 so i try to win them as quickly as possible so i can go back to managing vassals and watching them murder each other in my empire.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Charlemagne had a massive nerf to retinues. They cost more, you get fewer of them, they take up more points, and they reinforce slower. It was the right thing to do, because they were broken as poo poo. Longbows are still OP though, so Welsh culture is still the way to go. Longbows + Tanistry + Massive Volley makes the game easy as hell.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I tried doing insane mass infantry armies and it works fine. That's what the AI usually does anyway. I guess if you use too much cavalry for your tech group or only cannon or something you can gently caress yourself over. Other than that you can just 50% infantry 50% cannon and win battles just fine. Not as well as if you had some cavalry to flank with though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly the CK2 combat system is fucktarded and they really need to simplify it down. It might as well just roll a d20 based on general vs general's stats or something because it's totally crazy and all the info flashes by so fast even on 1x that it might as well be loving dummy text.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

Honestly the [pre-EU4 Paradox] combat system is fucktarded and they really need to simplify it down. It might as well just roll a d20 based on general vs general's stats or something because it's totally crazy and all the info flashes by so fast even on 1x that it might as well be loving dummy text.

It's too bad the old wiki is down so I can't quote the passage about how they had no clue how naval combat worked in HOI2.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I remembr when I found out about the ultimate army composition in EU4. I was playing as the pope and had gold coming out my ears and was leading crazy assaults against the ottomans where we were outnumbered, but still won because I just cannonaded the filthy turk dogs into dust.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Larry Parrish posted:

Honestly the CK2 combat system is fucktarded and they really need to simplify it down. It might as well just roll a d20 based on general vs general's stats or something because it's totally crazy and all the info flashes by so fast even on 1x that it might as well be loving dummy text.

it's got some interestign ideas but outside of retinues there is pretty much no way to actually influence your army compositon and it's all stupidly hard to find out

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You can click on any page of the Games CK2 thread and there is at least one post bragging about consoling their way to victory with a perfect ruler designed character or someone aggressively extolling the necessity of save scumming.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uhh, no, paradox, I don't want a history sim. I want a narrative about the Celtic Empire rising in 1200 to poo poo on the filthy franks and anglos.

Seriously they only ever play Ireland. I can't even count the number of times I've read 'It only took me till 1400 to form Britannia after I fabricated claims on everything!'

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I get embarrassed when this is what my byz games look like by 1600

Bishop Rodan posted:

I did it! I got Definitely the Sultan of Rum! :turkey:

(Trigger warning: ugly borders)

Somehow Muscovy never went anywhere and ended up being eaten by Novgorod and mega Lithuania. Mega Lithuania was also allied to both Poland and HRE-Brandenburg, which meant that the wars against them were loving brutal. I originally was going for Master of India, but with Muscovy being a non-starter I decided to go for this instead. Overall I'd say it was easier than No Trail of Tears, since the Ottos start out crazy powerful and, while they slow down later, any reasonably competent player can turn them into a hyperpower before then.

I doubt I'll have time in this playthrough, but a goal of mine eventually is to conquer Wien as the Ottos and convert it to Sunni.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only 1800 years of slowly digging through directly to moscow. lol. did he never think to like, i dunno, cripple lithuania's economy instead of just taking one province at a time. like long truce timers dont even matter if they wont be able to put up a fight during the next war.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Pretty astounding when Poland beats you to Wallachia as the friggin ottos.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every time i seen an 1800's screenshot that's even vaguely impressive, it's either a repost or friend of the family Wiz.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

every time i seen an 1800's screenshot that's even vaguely impressive, it's either a repost or friend of the family Wiz.

i see some funny ones on tumblr once in a while

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's the most fail prussia i've ever seen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volkerball posted:

I just gave Ashkenazi's horde culture, and started as the king of Africa. :getin: Think I'm gonna use my invasion CB to crack into Nubia since the Abassid blob doesn't seem to like to go that direction.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

epic...

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's stupid but you have to resign from your liege's council before you can select yourself in a marriage prompt (though you can still marry through clicking the rings icon and picking a woman off the list that appears).

who the gently caress is the retard dev who posts in the ck2 thread, and why the gently caress does he still have a job

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every time a game developer goes 'this is really dumb and we should fix it but' i want to shoot them in the face. games can be frustrating to code but if it's annoying even yourself, maybe its time to fix that thing.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

there was an old mod that basically did that. it was reduced all unit stat differences to almost nothing and let martial score and leader modifiers do the heavy lifting (and martial score factor in more so that casualty rates were normal and battles didnt take 20 years i guess)

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Average Bear posted:

I get embarrassed when this is what my byz games look like by 1600

How the gently caress are you gonna be that small with Ottoman ideas in 1750. christ

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I play really conservative aiming at pretty borders and imposted limits on where I'll expand but other than the retarded Russian tendril that should be what you look like by the time you finish off the Mamluks in like 1510 or so

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

I play really conservative aiming at pretty borders and imposted limits on where I'll expand but other than the retarded Russian tendril that should be what you look like by the time you finish off the Mamluks in like 1510 or so

Some people are pretty legit awful at the game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty bad about getting myself coalitioned all the time but I usually use it as a springboard to take a huge chunk out of my rival and swallow a few lovely weak neighbors that had powerful allies. Someone like that almost definitely never even had a major AE penalty all game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm going to start playing the EU board game with some goons online and holy poo poo while i can see the mechanics look like the videogame's it got a shitton of rules i barely understand. loving frenchmen making big rear end historicals

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i start as portugal but have to change at 1/3rd of the game to russia lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

because portugal gets irrelevant at the 1600s and the game tries its best at being historical as gently caress. the venice dude has to change to netherlands or austria as well

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

its p cool to see where the videogame version takes a lot of the mechanics though. i imagine the first EU played exactly like that

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

its p cool to see where the videogame version takes a lot of the mechanics though. i imagine the first EU played exactly like that

the first eu was an incredible mess and barely playable, so you let me know

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You could say that for nearly every paradox game pre EU4/CK2. I loved EU3 but god drat was it janky

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Average Bear posted:

You could say that for nearly every paradox game pre EU4/CK2. I loved EU3 but god drat was it janky

I lost the disc, but seriously, they had a long way to go to reach even EU3 levels from EU1 and HOI1.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Larry Parrish posted:

every time a game developer goes 'this is really dumb and we should fix it but' i want to shoot them in the face. games can be frustrating to code but if it's annoying even yourself, maybe its time to fix that thing.

probably because it's a big tangled up buggy mess and there are always a million other buggy things to fix, most of which are easier than that one

speaking from lovely game dev experience

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my lovely game dev experience is all from text games so maybe it's harder than i think having to deal with drawing graphics and stuff. idk.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The Old Gods start is so frustrating. The Karlings never ever lose more than one kingdom, the Abbasids don't break up, the Norse are annoying, and the Byzantines never weaken. Its so boring to play as a small power, and starting as big powers is boring as hell. But I want to play with pagans.

the games response is "el stabo!!" :razz: but guess what, no one wants to kill each other and the assassin button is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Average Bear posted:

The Old Gods start is so frustrating. The Karlings never ever lose more than one kingdom, the Abbasids don't break up, the Norse are annoying, and the Byzantines never weaken. Its so boring to play as a small power, and starting as big powers is boring as hell. But I want to play with pagans.

*screeching voice from the Games thread vault* Have you tried console + ruler designer?