Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gotta make those retro side panels somehow man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
You can't even get proper angle grinder sparks from wood, though!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lynza posted:

Yeah but the flying sawdust can make for some pretty sweet shots of the totally sweet cafe racer we're building.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is there nothing these people will not ruin? Even wood? Wood???

Even wood.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22467510

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Lynza posted:

Just have to carefully insert nails into the boards

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I watched someone dodge death by inches this morning.

Lane-splitting in rush hour down the motorway I come up behind a girl on a scooter with no gear on, moving between the cars at around 1km/h faster than traffic and generally doing really dumb frustrating poo poo. We got to a patch where traffic sped up to around 80km/h, her behind a car in the fast lane and me behind her. One of the vagaries of Auckland's desperately senseless motorway design is that in certain spots the fast lane will come to an abrupt halt while the other two/three keep moving at normal pace for several hundred meters. We came to just such a spot with her literally a meter away from the back bumper of the car. At this point we're basically walking while the center lane is continuing as normal.

I then watched her wobble slowly into the center lane, no shoulder check and no mirror check. This was immediately followed by the loudest engine braking I've ever heard as a dual-trailer semi loaded with logs slammed on his brakes to avoid annihilating her. I genuinely thought she'd get struck, it was the closest near-miss I've ever seen in person. The truck only dodged her by a few inches because the truck driver swerved to the left, presumably risking clipping the cars on the other side

It really freaked me out because in the span of twenty seconds I could've gone from admiring her legs (don't wear short shorts on a scooter jesus christ) to picking up minced bodyparts. I feel sorry for truck drivers. A momentary lapse in concentration on a bike just kills the rider; trucks kill other people and there's often nothing they can do about it because of people's fuckwit behaviour. That truckie, with his lightning reflexes, is my hero.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Lane-splitting in rush hour down the motorway I come up behind a girl on a scooter with no gear on, moving between the cars at around 1km/h faster than traffic and generally doing really dumb frustrating poo poo. We got to a patch where traffic sped up to around 80km/h, her behind a car in the fast lane and me behind her. One of the vagaries of Auckland's desperately senseless motorway design is that in certain spots the fast lane will come to an abrupt halt while the other two/three keep moving at normal pace for several hundred meters. We came to just such a spot with her literally a meter away from the back bumper of the car. At this point we're basically walking while the center lane is continuing as normal.

I then watched her wobble slowly into the center lane, no shoulder check and no mirror check. This was immediately followed by the loudest engine braking I've ever heard as a dual-trailer semi loaded with logs slammed on his brakes to avoid annihilating her. I genuinely thought she'd get struck, it was the closest near-miss I've ever seen in person. The truck only dodged her by a few inches because the truck driver swerved to the left, presumably risking clipping the cars on the other side

It really freaked me out because in the span of twenty seconds I could've gone from admiring her legs (don't wear short shorts on a scooter jesus christ) to picking up minced bodyparts. I feel sorry for truck drivers. A momentary lapse in concentration on a bike just kills the rider; trucks kill other people and there's often nothing they can do about it because of people's fuckwit behaviour. That truckie, with his lightning reflexes, is my hero.

Dunno how it is overseas, but truckies seem to be the most road-aware users around, probably because a fuckup on their part means people get smashed. Some people just don't respect the mass of a 16 wheeler.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

Dunno how it is overseas, but truckies seem to be the most road-aware users around, probably because a fuckup on their part means people get smashed. Some people just don't respect the mass of a 16 wheeler.

In the UK a massive amount of lorry drivers are bikers too, I guess if I had to lug 40 tons around all day I'd want somethng as small and quick as possible to ride at the weekend.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Slavvy posted:

Lane-splitting in rush hour down the motorway
girl on a scooter with no gear on, moving between the cars at around 1km/h faster than traffic and generally doing really dumb frustrating poo poo
a patch where traffic sped up to around 80km/h

Yikes, gently caress that.
Not necessarily dodging speedy death, but I did avoid a door this evening;

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
People will do that on purpose around here.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Where the hell does that happen? Live not even in hell traffic of Los Angeles have I ever seen that happen

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wrote off my NC30 VFR400 thanks to a woman doing that so she could get something from the boot for her kid. At a red light with three lanes and hundreds of cars lined up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

People will do that on purpose around here.

They better not get a chance to do it twice.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Had a car veering left and right into both outer lanes in a 70 zone. Got up to the side of it, of course chick was texting. Beeped, shouted at her to put it down, she kept doing it. Shouted that she's going to kill someone driving like that, still keeps doing it. loving idiots should get banned from driving for life with that kind of disregard for others. I'm literally questioning whether I should get a gopro and take this poo poo to the cops when I see it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Get a gopro regardless whether or not you're intending to take it to the cops (here they would just laugh at you)

But seriously, video evidence esp in case of an accident is undeniable. That's originally why I got mine.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I don't know about all the other states, but here in Oregon it's a massive ticket if you're caught texting/using a phone while driving. I would love to see stricter punishment for it, frankly. Don't know how many times I've seen some idjit swerving around, gently crossing the lanes, their goddamn smartphone inches from their stupid, stupid faces.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Lynza posted:

I don't know about all the other states, but here in Oregon it's a massive ticket if you're caught texting/using a phone while driving. I would love to see stricter punishment for it, frankly. Don't know how many times I've seen some idjit swerving around, gently crossing the lanes, their goddamn smartphone inches from their stupid, stupid faces.

I had to bite my tongue today as some lady complained on the phone about my city passing a hands free law. She was upset that they were taking away her ability to check her email and drive.
:argh: YOU ARE EVERYTHING I HATE :argh:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It doesn't really matter what the penalty is if the cops don't enforce it. Even if it was a $20 ticket, I bet a lot of people would stop after they got caught.

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd use my GoPro to catch as many people texting as I could, then upload their picture to a twitter/tumblr/whatever blog. Probably not worth the legal battle when someone gets mad at you for putting their picture on the internet though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a $400 fine here. Texting while driving remains undented.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

It's a $400 fine here. Texting while driving remains undented.

I'm pretty sure you could make the punishment something insane like "immediately crushing the car of the guilty driver" and people would still do it, convinced they wouldn't be caught. If they did get their car crushed, they'd be in Grandma's car tomorrow doing the same thing.

lovely people will always do whatever they want with no regard to others. In the US the anti-drunk-driving billboards all used to be about DUI drivers killing people, killing kids, etc. Now, every one I see is about costing the driver money (e.g. "You just blew $10,000" with a picture of a man taking a breathalyzer test). It's pretty obvious that the marketing organizations realized that assholes don't give a flying loving poo poo about literally ruining another person's life, so you have to make it about them and their finances to try to scare them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How do you enforce texting while driving though? Yeah, the initial law change will sweep up all the really dumb fucks who hold the phone up where you can see it but this just selects for people smart enough to hold the phone below the belt-line of the car and drop it in the door card as soon as a cop appears. It's pretty much impossible, which is a shame.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're vastly overestimating the average person.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Slavvy posted:

How do you enforce texting while driving though? Yeah, the initial law change will sweep up all the really dumb fucks who hold the phone up where you can see it but this just selects for people smart enough to hold the phone below the belt-line of the car and drop it in the door card as soon as a cop appears. It's pretty much impossible, which is a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8a249J9KYY
Featuring a couple of people who were holding it in their lap and others trying to hide it when they realise the guy on the bike is a cop.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I remember right after CA enacted a hands free law I saw a bike cop in the lane next to me look down directly at a oblivious girl texting. She was so oblivious she didn't even notice when he looked away and throttled off.

When the cop can't even be arsed to pull over the cute girl and at least give a warning, you know the law is relegated to DUI/vehicle search excuse bullshit.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Not sure why tickets are given when a car is stopped. It seems a bit ridiculous to fine someone for texting when the worse that will happen is a bit of traffic congestion.

Sure it's irritating as gently caress to be behind someone who's got their nose buried in their phone when the light goes green, but horns are made for a reason.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Because they're still driving/in control of the car? And if they're doing it while stopped, you can bet that they probably check/talk on the phone while moving.

e: Is that the Australian bike cop from Perth vid? If so, you can get done for DUI if you're asleep in your backseat of your car with keys in your possession or in the ignition. They're super harsh on a bunch of odd driving rules over here.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

They just enacted hands-free legislation here in Austin, and they put in an exemption for when the car is stopped.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
In Canada (Newfoundland) the texting law is rather stupid. Since they can't prove what you were actually doing, the offence is essentially "holding your phone". If a cop sees you holding a phone at all (or anything that looks like a phone) then you're on the hook for a reasonably hefty ticket.
The stupid thing is if you're holding an ipod touch for example (and can prove it), gps, or any non-network connected device then there's no ticket. In addition (I believe), if your phone is say in a dash mounted holder it becomes a weird grey area.

Since 95% of the police vehicles on the road are chargers/taurii it really is as simple as holding your phone below the beltline, yet somehow in a one week blitz last week something like 400-500 people were still busted, it blows my mind.

The real downside of this law that I don't think many people consider is that people who are hellbent on texting while they drive (I *have* been guilty of this in the past, only under the safest of circumstances though - no traffic, straight clear road with nobody on the sidewalk etc) will now often hold their phone in their lap and look down instead of holding the phone up in line with their view of the road.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I dunno. It seems a bit too harsh.

I'm all for driving safety, but I've not noticed a plague of motorists accidentally jamming the accelerator while stopped because they're distracted. They just kinda sit there.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I got backed into last week at a stoplight. The dumbass in front of me tried to put their car in park while they were texting but actually put it in reverse, let off the brake and had no idea they were rolling backwards. I was sitting on my horn for a good 20 solid seconds before they realized what was happening. There wasn't any damage since I saw it coming and got in reverse myself, but people are loving morons so I have no problem with zero tolerance using cellphones in cars.

If poo poo's so important that you have to use your phone right loving now, then it's important enough that you can waste the the time it takes to pull over and stop while you use it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

DMVarea.txt. This place is a fuckin cornucopia of the phone-iest drivers in the country.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

No. 6 posted:

Not sure why tickets are given when a car is stopped. It seems a bit ridiculous to fine someone for texting when the worse that will happen is a bit of traffic congestion.

Sure it's irritating as gently caress to be behind someone who's got their nose buried in their phone when the light goes green, but horns are made for a reason.

Car stopped in traffic. Guy texts. Thinks traffic goes while finishing text, lets off the brake. Crunch, he's just sandwiched the biker that was in front of him.

Touching a phone of any sort should be banned from driving, period.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Day Man posted:

They just enacted hands-free legislation here in Austin, and they put in an exemption for when the car is stopped.

Washington's is awesome. Driving with a cell phone to your ear: infraction. Driving while holding the phone in front of you with speaker on: a-ok.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
To me, any of this new legislation is redundant because most states have laws already that include reckless or distracted driving. Just charge them under those and who cares if you get 4 points on your license from a reckless. Adding more laws about where you can be holding a phone and how is just too much. My stereo is dead so I listen to podcasts thru my phone and sometimes I hold it, an infraction in some states apparently!

Last week I saw a woman chatting away on her phone and tailgating a school bus @ 65mph. I saw this clearly because I was in the back of the school bus. I had the kids around me all try to get her attention and pretend to be talking on a cell phone all exaggerated like. She didn't seem to notice.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
gently caress me am I sick of winter. I even avoid the CA forums because I miss riding so much. It will be neg digits this weekend and I'm not talking Celsius.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mandatory cell phone jammers in every car.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

gently caress me am I sick of winter. I even avoid the CA forums because I miss riding so much. It will be neg digits this weekend and I'm not talking Celsius.
With you there, internet person. The past three weeks have been fairly lovely in general and I'd really like the option of riding without having to cut open a tauntaun for the return trip. I need it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Same. I've put together some winter gear I got cheap on closeout in the last month, but I'm still missing boots and gloves, so.... not this winter, I guess :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

To me, any of this new legislation is redundant because most states have laws already that include reckless or distracted driving. Just charge them under those and who cares if you get 4 points on your license from a reckless. Adding more laws about where you can be holding a phone and how is just too much. My stereo is dead so I listen to podcasts thru my phone and sometimes I hold it, an infraction in some states apparently!

Last week I saw a woman chatting away on her phone and tailgating a school bus @ 65mph. I saw this clearly because I was in the back of the school bus. I had the kids around me all try to get her attention and pretend to be talking on a cell phone all exaggerated like. She didn't seem to notice.

Someone call SVU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Barnsy posted:

Car stopped in traffic. Guy texts. Thinks traffic goes while finishing text, lets off the brake. Crunch, he's just sandwiched the biker that was in front of him.

Touching a phone of any sort should be banned from driving, period.

Good point. I concede and agree.