Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

KGworks gauge clusters with Revlimiter gauges: Worth the couple hundred bucks? I'm considering it in the very near future.
Adam makes good stuff, I've seen his work in person and can vouch for it. The KG Works clusters are worth it for sure, but I would personally pair with some used AWD or current RS Products offerings.

Bottom line from the charcoal canister is VTA. Unplug it and clip it someplace so it isn't flopping around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Looks like I'm a miata owner now. 94 m-edition, 140k miles. Slight grind into fifth gear if I do it too fast but otherwise everything else is great!

Coming from driving automatic sedans my whole life, this thing is incredible.

Very nice, reminds me of my NA! :3:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Looks like I'm a miata owner now. 94 m-edition, 140k miles. Slight grind into fifth gear if I do it too fast but otherwise everything else is great!

Coming from driving automatic sedans my whole life, this thing is incredible.

Man, my jealousy for the California environment increases tenfold every time I see a car with this many miles look this good. nice pick, although I would personally try to get rid of that gold

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah the gold accents look cheesy but otherwise nice find.

Also those giant aftermarket lip spoilers are overkill and make the front of NAs look funny.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Anyone else get kinda tired of DDing a miata? I feel kinda old because of it but lately I've been feeling like going back to my focus hatchback. This time it'd be a manual instead of that awful dct they put in those. It was a comfortable and super useful car and I miss it a lot. My NC is a fun car and drives very athletically, but sometimes I wish I could just kinda...relax. I feel like I'm wasting such a nice car in a stop&go commute every day. I can't afford to have both, and don't really want to keep up on maintenance on three cars.

The last time I tried to do a nice fun ride I was so put off by all the traffic and noise in Houston. It's like I can't go driving in the nice old spots anymore, the whole countryside is being paved over. I was just...over it. It takes a minimum of an hour drive from where I live to get to a nice driving road (FM1488) and it's such a short little thing anyway. I'd rather spend my time in the sun on my back porch with my wife and drink a beer instead of more goddamn driving in this poo poo city. I loved the idea of this car but the implementation has left me cold.

I dunno, any goons fall out of love with their miatas?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Taco Box posted:

Anyone else get kinda tired of DDing a miata?

I'm feeling it right now, but that's mainly because I can't drop the top while it's cold out. Another month and I'll probably be loving every minute of it.

An issue popped up on mine yesterday, it appears that my left rear brake caliper is sticking. Is this a common issue? Is there an easy to free it up, or do I just need to bite the bullet and order a replacement?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Taco Box posted:

Anyone else get kinda tired of DDing a miata? I feel kinda old because of it but lately I've been feeling like going back to my focus hatchback. This time it'd be a manual instead of that awful dct they put in those. It was a comfortable and super useful car and I miss it a lot. My NC is a fun car and drives very athletically, but sometimes I wish I could just kinda...relax. I feel like I'm wasting such a nice car in a stop&go commute every day. I can't afford to have both, and don't really want to keep up on maintenance on three cars.

I loved mine until I had an episode of claustrophobia in it. It didn't help that I never really fit in the first place.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I sometimes think about a car with more space or power, like a FoST or a 370Z. But then the weather gets nice, I drop the top and remember how much I love my NC. I am only 5'9" though, so the car feels perfect to my dimensions. I also mostly drive in stop and go traffic, so I get the idea of "wasting" the car in such pedestrian driving, but then I remember "it's just a drat Miata! gently caress it!" I think I could only trade my Miata for a Porsche, and that would definitely be a waste in my commute.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Taco Box posted:

If it wasn't for living in Florida and having the top down 90% of the time I probably would get tired of it, the convertible part of a Miata is a big factor for me. As far as driving it to it's potential, yeah it's tough living in urban sprawl trying to get a fun drive out of it, and sometimes I feel like it's a waste, but even in an urban environment it's still more fun to drive than most cars.

That being said, lately I've been thinking about selling it to get a supermoto, but I doubt that will ever happen :v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Your commute is what you make of it. I do 10 miles for mine and if I want to turn my brain off I just ride out the freeway. If I am feeling more up for it there are several alternate routes I can take that will let me have a little fun with it.

Houston is a big as hell place and there are a ton of random little roads here and there that were laid down to bend with bayous and are mostly ignored by heavy traffic.

What really got at me was how bad it used to flood in medium to heavy rain at my old place and constantly worrying about water coming up into the cab and the associated mold/rot problems.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ethanol posted:

Man, my jealousy for the California environment increases tenfold every time I see a car with this many miles look this good. nice pick, although I would personally try to get rid of that gold

Seriously, those shining, intact body panels are a thing of beauty. After 10 years of Wisconsin winters, my miata has almost no clearcoat left, the bumpers are faded, and no panel is free of rust.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Taco Box posted:

It was a comfortable and super useful car and I miss it a lot. My NC is a fun car and drives very athletically, but sometimes I wish I could just kinda...relax. I feel like I'm wasting such a nice car in a stop&go commute every day.

Well, I don't think the miata is uncomfortable, but it's certainly not useful. I mean, uncomfortable to me is when I drove the Lotus Elise before picking the miata. Holy poo poo. That was the definition of discomfort. Totally worth it though if you have 30k lying around for a track toy.
When's the last time you drove another car? I had this happen all the time in my jeep, I would get super tired of it until I drove a 'normal' car, then I would hop back in the jeep and feel like I was driving something quite special. I haven't owned the miata quite long enough to get sick of it yet.

GOD IS BED posted:

I also mostly drive in stop and go traffic, so I get the idea of "wasting" the car in such pedestrian driving, but then I remember "it's just a drat Miata! gently caress it!" I think I could only trade my Miata for a Porsche, and that would definitely be a waste in my commute.

Same, except instead of traffic, I have salt and snow. Just have to remember, this car was about the same price as a civic. Still, I wouldn't trade this car for anything right now except maybe, just maybe, a cheaper miata+a cheap pickup (both of which I could be much more punishing on) instead of one newer miata as my DD.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ethanol posted:

When's the last time you drove another car?

My wife's car is an automatic mini cooper (r56, non s) and I love that stupid little car. I can't wait till it shits the bed in a typical BMW fashion. Anyway, it reminds me that most cars are way loving underbraked. I can get so deep into corners with the NC that I have to say whoaaaa nelly when I drive other stuff. The mini also shows me how loving gutless the non-turbo ones are. I feel like I have to cane that poor car to get it to move at all. For just farting along in traffic that car's pretty swell and very comfortable. I just wish I'd had a focus with a manual... Nice torque with a stick shift is pretty good.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Taco Box posted:

I owned an NA as my only car for 4+ years a while back. While I did not fall out of love with the car, I did fall out of love with it being my only car. It was easy to put up with the downsides when I was in college/fresh grad, but it started to wear thin as time and life went on.

In the Northwest it's awesome to have a Miata from about June to October where you can have the top down 90%+ of the time in temperatures that rarely stray from 60-90F. There are some nice days scattered through the rest of the year, but a soft-top convertible is largely kind of a bummer from like November to May since you make a pretty big trade-off in noise and insulation to have the drop top. Incidentally, the same part of the year that it's awesome to have a Miata it's also awesome to have a motorcycle...

It's also a pretty big limiting factor for going hiking, biking, skiing, etc. when it's your only vehicle. Sure, you can kinda-sorta do it as long as you aren't trying to go with anyone, and I did, but it's just generally a hassle. I don't need an SUV, especially as a DD, but I needed something with a little more utility.

So I switched and got an E46 coupe. Not as sharp as a Miata (not much is), but still a fantastic driver's car and day-to-day comfort is so, so much better. The trunk is sizable, the rear seats fold down, and while you wouldn't want to do a 10 hour road trip in the back seat it can fit 4 normal sized non-hambeast adults reasonably comfortably for a couple hours. And despite having a 3L engine with 2 more cylinders and 100 more horsepower it gets about the same gas mileage as my NA did - better, in fact, doing all-highway. My E46 is an awesome DD, and I have my motorcycle as a pseudo-replacement for the Miata.

For a while owning 2 cars was simply out of the question, but it's becoming a possibility now. I toss around the idea of getting a beater utility/outdoors vehicle like a Forester or 4Runner or something like that, then picking up another Miata or similar car. Maybe getting rid of the bike to do so. For the moment I'm waiting to see how the ND shapes up before making any moves...

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 9, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I also used to DD an E46 coupe. A 325ci with a 5 speed manual. I didn't do my homework and bought someone else's problem that was neglected. It was an awesome car to drive and a horrible car to own. 2/10, wouldn't do again.

I totally agree with actual life activities being a hassle. I installed a hitch on the miata to take my bike places with me and we've gone running using my car a few times. As you say, it's a hassle. Visiting friends in San Antonio is also a hassle too since it's such a loud car and it get such lovely milage.

I guess I'm just a different person than I was in my 20's. I'm 40 pounds lighter and like all the activities that made me that way :v:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I also own an E46 (330i sport package mt). My only gripe with it is that its too quiet and every little squeak or rattle drives me insane. My first miata sounds like a vacuum under part throttle and a jet engine under full throttle. I couldn't deal with it as a daily, but I never fell out with it.

My other two Miatas are broken. Here's one before it was broken.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

destructo posted:

I also own an E46 (330i sport package mt). My only gripe with it is that its too quiet and every little squeak or rattle drives me insane. My first miata sounds like a vacuum under part throttle and a jet engine under full throttle. I couldn't deal with it as a daily, but I never fell out with it.

PRETTY.

More pictures?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I have an e46 as well (M3) and I split my driving and autocrossing between it and my miata pretty evenly. I probably DD the miata a bit more because I like keeping the M3 clean. I like them both but if I had to give one up it'd be the miata.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

destructo posted:

this miata is so masculine it should be called a miato

I'll stop now

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Apparently when goons "outgrow" Miatas they buy E46s.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have an e46 wagon and want a miata, regression and senility go hand in hand right?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Guinness posted:

Apparently when goons "outgrow" Miatas they buy E46s.

I graduated from an MR2 to an E46. Kinda similar.

e: and the last car I looked at before I plunked down for the E46 was a Miata.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Taco Box posted:

Although I have a different vehicle for the Winter now, back when I used to drive a Miata year-round and even now when I drive mine the rest of the year I've always thought that they're never tiring/boring to drive except in lovely weather or traffic. When you can drop the top, and just flog it, it's a great car to drive, every time. When it's cold and/or rainy and/or rush hour, yeah, it's kind of tiring, but that's not the car's fault.

Guinness posted:

Incidentally, the same part of the year that it's awesome to have a Miata it's also awesome to have a motorcycle...

I have my motorcycle as a pseudo-replacement for the Miata.

This, a thousand times! The only thing I've found to be more liberating than driving a Miata is riding a motorcycle (although I've never flown an aircraft, so that's probably in the same league. :iiam:) I can't really justify 3 vehicles, though, 2 of which would be reserved for the exact same perfect-weather days within half the year.

Guinness posted:

And despite having a 3L engine with 2 more cylinders and 100 more horsepower it gets about the same gas mileage as my NA did - better, in fact, doing all-highway.

Taco Box posted:

it's such a loud car and it get such lovely milage.

Why does the Miata get such poor fuel mileage? It's such a tiny, light car with a small engine, but my NA got ~26 mpg year-round and my MSM gets ~24-25 mpg. Is it just the way I drive it? (That is, WOT and shifting at the redline. :D)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I get around 30 mpg in my NB, a little worse if I'm flogging it the whole tank.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

24mpg average here, drive it hard. :getin:

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I just test drove a Miata and holy poo poo the day my S2000 kicks the bucket I will be banging at the doors of the Mazda dealership to give them my money.

Roadsters. :syoon:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Thanks dudes, but I can't take the credit for that one. If you GIS "scrat miata" you'll find all the pictures you could want. I am friends with the original builder of the car who sold it to me after a series of tragic incidents (Track Dog Racing managed to blow up a naturally aspirated built motor in less than a thousand miles). It's getting a VVT ITB swap sometime this summer. Maybe in running shape at best late this year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Also, I've been DDing a miata for about 10 years. When I was in college it worked great and suited my needs, but it's becoming less workable as I age.

When I started lifting weights I had to remove the door handle to make room for my growing legs, and now it's still a squeeze because the steering wheel is too big.

Additionally, I herniated a disc this year and because I'm 6'4", the seating in the Miata forces me to sit in a position that is now pure agony. I'm convinced that the car is slowing down my rehab. I think if you're young, healthy, and your proportions fit the car it is a fine DD. Don't, however, get it as a DD if everything's not perfect because there's nothing worse than commuting in a car that is hurting you.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Sup fellow hairless gorilla. At 6'4" and 270lbs I get stared at whenever I enter or exit the vehicle. I keep telling myself I'm just going to toss the driver's seat, bolt the seatbelt to the floor, and use a boat cushion for my rear end. We actually tested this on a lark one day and the seating position was perfection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I drove my Miata for like half an hour yesterday and today my hip is loving killing me again. It's possible the car actually is the source of my pain.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

At 5'10" the car is roomy and comfortable. :v:

My replacement Japanese owners manual arrived today!

I'm actually surprised how patronizing it is. It's mostly a list of stuff you shouldn't do. Like, don't park near fires!*

For any kind of maintenance stuff they just tell you to take it to the dealer.

Hey manual, what if I wanna work on the car by myself?

"You'll get hurt!"
Well yah, but that's kinda half the fun, isn't it?

*Unfortunately it actually says don't park with your rear to inflammable objects, as your exhaust may set them on fire.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I thought it said don't drive your miata to klan rallies.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I drove my Miata for like half an hour yesterday and today my hip is loving killing me again. It's possible the car actually is the source of my pain.

Uh oh you better sell it. I'll give you 2k for it since it's an Indiana car now.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Why does the Miata get such poor fuel mileage? It's such a tiny, light car with a small engine, but my NA got ~26 mpg year-round and my MSM gets ~24-25 mpg. Is it just the way I drive it? (That is, WOT and shifting at the redline. :D)

I would love an answer to this. My NA was getting 24 mpg in the summer (now 21 mpg with winter tires). Driving like an rear end or conservatively doesn't seem to make much difference.

I don't get it. Previous car was a Civic of the same vintage, and it got 34 mpg no matter how I beat on it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The BP is a lovely motor and it's in open loop fueling past 4k. The gearing doesn't do any favors, either.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The BP Kia I had did 30mpg in town all day long, mostly to do with gearing sure, but the BP is hardly a lovely motor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got really great mileage out of the 93 Escort GT I had back in the day, high 20's at least.

leica posted:

Uh oh you better sell it. I'll give you 2k for it since it's an Indiana car now.

You can have the car for $2K if you pay for my hip replacement.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't you have Obamacare to get a new Obamahip?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Don't you have Obamacare to get a new Obamahip?

Tell you what, you give me one your hips and we'll call it even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Even though it's small and light I don't think the miata's coefficient of drag is very good (top down especially), the gearing has you at 4k on the highway and it's an old rear end engine.

:shrug: