Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's more like the movie Maximum Overdrive with 50' bricks of SPAM instead of trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Error 404 posted:

You mean like Slaves went "haywire" when they were emancipated?

Well closer to the slaves learning to talk and read/write. They were stills slaves during the second rebellion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Shoggoths did nothing wrong. Also they are adorable and friendly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's really easy to have Shoggoth lords as the real bad guys with tragic/sympathetic normal shoggoth or proto-shoggoth underlings. Specifically one could have the lords' human shapes be the gift of some dark god they struck a deal with. Humans with their concrete form and distinct tissues are monstrous in the extreme to shoggoth culture, but such is the price of power.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sion posted:

Some friends of mine would like to play a roleplaying game but they stalwartly refuse to tell me what kind of game they are interested in.

Should I just run DnD and go from there or..?

I don't know if you've already decided but I think this idea is a pretty good one:
https://bankuei.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/one-hour-roleplaying/

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

i thought shoggoths are ancient biological machines gone haywire. are they a metaphor for some grotesque bigotry as well?

Reading between the lines, the shoggothim are capable of intelligence and eventually decided to throw off their chains, leading to the final destruction of the Elder Thing civilization underneath Antarctica. Unfortunately, the posthypnotic control signals they implanted remain, which is probably why the Deep Ones have one in Innsmouth and how it's possible to summon and control one. It's also possible to construct an exegesis of Danforth's closing rant to figure out why the Elder Things proceeded to have everything go wrong for them, but I don't think it's really necessary.

Elfgames posted:

Or how about the fish people are just captureing and mutating people(or maybe it is willing who wouldn't grow some gills for enough money and power?)

Horror should be, in my mind, willing to break out of the conservatism it's generally associated with.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

My dream was always to get multiple recursive games going with the old Shahrazad card from Arabian Nights.
4x Shahrazad
4x Spellweaver Helix
Nx Sorcery with buyback

Have fun being the biggest bastard this side of a tuned Stasis deck.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Yawgmoth posted:

4x Shahrazad
4x Spellweaver Helix
Nx Sorcery with buyback

Have fun being the biggest bastard this side of a tuned Stasis deck.

Include 4x Burning Wish and/or Research/Development to increase your chance of successfully creating recursive subgames within subgames. The comprehensive rules even specifically say you can fetch cards from the main game in subgames, including cards on the stack (like the currently resolving Shahrazad). This method also enables you to create recursive subgames in Commander. If you can resolve a Hive Mind before casting Shahrazad in Commander you pretty much just win your playgroup forever, by which I mean they will never want to play with you ever again.

E: Cast Through Time helps too.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 9, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So guess who the only person who came into the office today is? :v:

Guess who had to drive an hour to get here?

Guess who decided to print gaming PDFs only to find out that the printer's not working?

:suicide:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Evil Mastermind posted:

Guess who decided to print gaming PDFs only to find out that the printer's not working?

Muahahahahaha......... Muahahahhahahahahha....... Actually, in all seriousness if its anything like Boston and its three feet of snow on the ground what were you thinking?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

Muahahahahaha......... Muahahahhahahahahha....... Actually, in all seriousness if its anything like Boston and its three feet of snow on the ground what were you thinking?

I live in Rhode Island and work in Connecticut. The snow stopped here before I even woke up this morning, and we got maybe three inches.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Evil Mastermind posted:

I live in Rhode Island and work in Connecticut. The snow stopped here before I even woke up this morning, and we got maybe three inches.
Well aren't you special with your lack of snow and your perfectly clean streets.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well aren't you special with your lack of snow and your perfectly clean streets.

I didn't say they were clean. I'm just glad we didn't get more real snow because we have no place else to put it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, Connecticut's still getting snow. It hasn't stopped yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, Connecticut's still getting snow. It hasn't stopped yet.

Really? I'm in New London and there's none here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm closer to Hartford and at least when I last checked it was still coming down over here.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Is this the part where I feel bad for living in Southern California? :smith:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yes. You are a fucker that should feel bad.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Davin Valkri posted:

Is this the part where I feel bad for living in Southern California? :smith:

Something something Tool lyrics
Something something Arizona Bay

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes. You are a fucker that should feel bad.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

I didn't say they were clean. I'm just glad we didn't get more real snow because we have no place else to put it.

There's always Rhode Island. I mean it's not like anybody actually uses it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Only tangentially related to the snow: did anyone ever convert Eclipse Phase to a system which isn't terrible?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There's always Rhode Island. I mean it's not like anybody actually uses it.

I live in Rhode Island, and I'm still using it. :mad:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Are you like, the custodian?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Are you like, the custodian?

I prefer the term "Keeper of the Keys", thank you very much.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have heard several delightful "commuting an hour to find all the people with shorter commutes are not actually here" stories today.

And my wife is supposed to be interviewing a state away today (Vermont -> Massachusetts), and was going to go in on Saturday to make sure the storm did not stop her from arriving in a timely fashion ... but they called her on Saturday to be like "hold on, maybe we will cancel the interview" ... Sunday ... "oh, hold on, maybe we will cancel" ... Monday morning 6:30, "O.K. head on down here!" :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quarex posted:

I have heard several delightful "commuting an hour to find all the people with shorter commutes are not actually here" stories today.
I honestly wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't a ~50-mile drive one way. Unfortunately (jokes aside) the tech job market in RI is pretty bad.

quote:

And my wife is supposed to be interviewing a state away today (Vermont -> Massachusetts), and was going to go in on Saturday to make sure the storm did not stop her from arriving in a timely fashion ... but they called her on Saturday to be like "hold on, maybe we will cancel the interview" ... Sunday ... "oh, hold on, maybe we will cancel" ... Monday morning 6:30, "O.K. head on down here!" :(
Hopefully she's going somewhere that isn't getting any snow.

In actual gaming discussion:

potatocubed posted:

Only tangentially related to the snow: did anyone ever convert Eclipse Phase to a system which isn't terrible?
Yes, there's a Fate version in playtest right now.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I live in Delaware, and the thing about snow here is that by and large we don't get it. Or at least not much of it, if it ever sticks.

That doesn't stop the loving locals from panicking every time a snowflake appears, as if the things had fangs and could suck blood. (Those who've moved here generally don't panic - it's just the locals, who should be used to it by now.

My sympathies on having to deal with actual snow, however.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Error 404 posted:

Something something Tool lyrics
Something something Arizona Bay

"Goodbye you lizard scum!" - Bill Hicks

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think I'm going snowblind. How can everything be so bright white while it's still snowing.
I'm pretty sure the frost giants are using it as cover to march on Albany and seize the state government.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

NGDBSS posted:

I live in Delaware, and the thing about snow here is that by and large we don't get it. Or at least not much of it, if it ever sticks.

That doesn't stop the loving locals from panicking every time a snowflake appears, as if the things had fangs and could suck blood. (Those who've moved here generally don't panic - it's just the locals, who should be used to it by now.

My sympathies on having to deal with actual snow, however.

So Delaware is the east coast version of oregon/Washington?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly as a regular sufferer of snow I prefer it to the weird freezing rain/snow mix we tend to get through most of December. With snow the big plows and the early commuters clear it out by 7 am or so, but freezing slush rain will stick around for a full day or two causing car crashes.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Error 404 posted:

So Delaware is the east coast version of oregon/Washington?
Sort of? I mean, we do actually get snow according to NOAA, and it's somewhat colder than the Pacific Northwest in winter, but even New Castle County (which is northernmost, and farthest inland) doesn't really have the same snow problems that Maryland/Pennsylvania/New Jersey get. Somehow we're in the northern end of the humid subtropical band that extends from the American Southeast.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

NGDBSS posted:

Sort of? I mean, we do actually get snow according to NOAA, and it's somewhat colder than the Pacific Northwest in winter, but even New Castle County (which is northernmost, and farthest inland) doesn't really have the same snow problems that Maryland/Pennsylvania/New Jersey get. Somehow we're in the northern end of the humid subtropical band that extends from the American Southeast.

Yeah, I mean, we get a foot or so every few years, but on average we don't get a whole lot. That blizzard put maybe an inch of snow in my driveway.

Delware goons :whatup:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Rockopolis posted:

I think I'm going snowblind. How can everything be so bright white while it's still snowing.
I'm pretty sure the frost giants are using it as cover to march on Albany and seize the state government.

It would be a positive change for the state.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys would probably poo poo bricks if it ever snowed on the 4th of July.

Just another day in paradise.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

You guys would probably poo poo bricks if it ever snowed on the 4th of July.

Just another day in paradise.

Where do you live that it snows on 4th of July? Because yes, there is a decent chunk of America that would poo poo bricks if it snowed in the middle of Summer.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Evil Sagan posted:

Where do you live that it snows on 4th of July? Because yes, there is a decent chunk of America that would poo poo bricks if it snowed in the middle of Summer.

Don't Northern Hemisphere-shame, silly man! :cheeky:

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Evil Sagan posted:

i think its proper name is "chill penguin's stage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Evil Sagan posted:

In America's high five. It doesn't often, but it has before. We had snow in June this year, so I dunno what to tell you.

• Locked thread