Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
They get them whether you click the masks or not. I wish that stuff just auto-displayed since it feels like half the YouTubers I'm watching take a while to figure out you can even click on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Just killed the Hag with my double Hellions, while my occultist and bounty hunter kept getting thrown in the pot.. Is there anything these ladies can't do? :allears:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hellions are great. I am also partial to the chick with a mace, her judgement skill hits anybody for medium damage, and also heals her and has good accuracy to boot.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

ErIog posted:

They get them whether you click the masks or not. I wish that stuff just auto-displayed since it feels like half the YouTubers I'm watching take a while to figure out you can even click on them.

It took me a ton of restarts and playtime before I figured that out, myself :blush:

Edit: When is it a good idea to start teaching heroes adventurers new skills? I have a Vestal that I like, but she doesn't have a skill that I'd like her to have. And are unlocking/upgrading skills better than equipment?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are the devs thinking of adding other classes? Not that I need them, more curious or anything.

I'd like the idea of former adventurers dying or kicked out coming to fight you.

Yes and they are coming during EA, so you don't need to wait for release to see them in action. The next 2 will most probably be Arbalest and Man-At-Arms. The rest of the classes are in the OP

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

It took me a ton of restarts and playtime before I figured that out, myself :blush:

Edit: When is it a good idea to start teaching heroes adventurers new skills? I have a Vestal that I like, but she doesn't have a skill that I'd like her to have. And are unlocking/upgrading skills better than equipment?

Immediately. Skills are the prime reason you take adventurers with you.

My upgrade prioties are: Armour > Skills > Weapons

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there some trick to looking containers that I don't understand? I feel like stacks of books almost always just do stress damage and certain other things blight more often then not. Are certain classes better at looting than others? This aspect is super frustrating; I just want my loot. http://forums.somethingawful.com/account.php?action=logout&ma=404bf95f

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there some trick to looking containers that I don't understand? I feel like stacks of books almost always just do stress damage and certain other things blight more often then not. Are certain classes better at looting than others? This aspect is super frustrating; I just want my loot. http://forums.somethingawful.com/account.php?action=logout&ma=404bf95f

http://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/2utmrd/spoilers_all_darkest_dungeon_curio_interactions/

Here's all the curios and what you may use on them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Skills are super important. At base it lets you play your party the way you want to, but in general you get +5 acc, +1 crit for any skill upgrade, and some like the healing skills get a significant improvement. The jester party buff gets a speed upgrade at the first level upgrade making it amazing as well.

Spending the cash to upgrade your main single target damage ability 1 rank on each guy, and your heal on your healers, will have pretty big payoffs. After that, I would suggest not spending money until you've found a comp of guys you like and want to develop farther. Then make sure you can go whole hog and get them weapon+armor+skill upgrades and have the cash around to heal up bad stuff if needed. Investing halfway and then having poo poo go south probably means that you end up having it be cheaper to kick them out and get a new one, which is frustrating.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Dackel posted:

Immediately. Skills are the prime reason you take adventurers with you.

My upgrade prioties are: Armour > Skills > Weapons

Is to-hit chance simply (acc-dodge)/100?
If so, it seems upgrading weapons give 10%-15% more damage, while upgrading a skill gives 5%-8% chance to hit and 1%crit.
But I guess I'd upgrade the healing and stunning skills first.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Running With Spoons posted:

If so, it seems upgrading weapons give 10%-15% more damage, while upgrading a skill gives 5%-8% chance to hit and 1%crit.

I think chance to hit and chance to dodge are rolled seperately? Because you can have "dodge" and "miss" pop up

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, some of the rank3+ enemy arrangements are real bastards. I had just camped in the ruins and had full health and less than 10 stress on everyone and my first fight after was a Ravening ghoul and two gargoyles who chain crit my group of rank 3s and killed 2 people on the second round. All my attacks up until that point were dodged. Everyone in that group had max rank armor and rank 3 skills for all their important attacks.

I feel like we need a :xcom: for Darkest Dungeons.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Dackel posted:

I think chance to hit and chance to dodge are rolled seperately? Because you can have "dodge" and "miss" pop up

It's possible that they put up "dodge" if the attack would have hit, but the character's dodge pushes it into a miss/dodge.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope the game gets a balance tweak since right now the only viable tactic early on sending suicide teams out to collect loot.

Once you have a decent team the game difficulty becomes much more manageable.

It has really bad crashing problems on mac and annoying glitch in which you can't select the town buildings.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
One thing I hope they expand on or add onto is the stressed-out mechanic and all the little states that characters go into. Having traits that can affect how often a character can devolve into a gibbering hopelessness mess can be really engaging.

Say, a crusader comes in with a trait called "foolhardy". It increase the chance he will either go courageous or hopeless when stressed out while decreasing all other state's chance.

or even more state interactions: an irrational charecter won't take stress damage from an abusive's snide back talk.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

The human mind; fragile, like a robin's egg.

Jfc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I haven't cursed a loud at any recent game, there's something annoying about seeing a grapeshot or other attack miss all three targets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Stupid awful app , ignore this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

The human mind; fragile, like a robin's egg.

That's going in the OP. :allears:

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You will always get at least one level 1 mission.

I currently have only level 3+ missions available in a game with the first 3 bosses killed, and no characters over level 3. :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeathSandwich posted:

Man, some of the rank3+ enemy arrangements are real bastards. I had just camped in the ruins and had full health and less than 10 stress on everyone and my first fight after was a Ravening ghoul and two gargoyles who chain crit my group of rank 3s and killed 2 people on the second round. All my attacks up until that point were dodged. Everyone in that group had max rank armor and rank 3 skills for all their important attacks.

I feel like we need a :xcom: for Darkest Dungeons.

My last adventure, I got hit by two straight crits from a pair of Bandits doing the 'hit your front two' slash attack that knocked my Highwayman to death's door and almost killed my Hellion, and somehow came back from it to finish the dungeon without losses. You gotta wonder what the hell bandits are doing in the dungeon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Willfrey posted:

Hellions are great. I am also partial to the chick with a mace, her judgement skill hits anybody for medium damage, and also heals her and has good accuracy to boot.

The Vestel is a core class since she provides the most reliable healing.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

My last adventure, I got hit by two straight crits from a pair of Bandits doing the 'hit your front two' slash attack that knocked my Highwayman to death's door and almost killed my Hellion, and somehow came back from it to finish the dungeon without losses. You gotta wonder what the hell bandits are doing in the dungeon.

Bandits are, far and away, the most dangerous enemies in the game. It's kinda messed up that I can run into a pack of slavering abominations and think "man, thank god its not a bunch of mundane human robbers."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So where do the skeletons find their stress causing wine?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Running With Spoons posted:

Well no one is perfectly sure what the formula is, or what exactly is going on with it. I know I've seen a multi-hit swing miss the guy with the *lower* dodge and hit the guy with the higher, so I think it might be more complicated than that.

Even so, I'd still take the accuracy option even if it is giving less damage. Just like the comparison between vestral heal and occultist heal, in rogue-likes the more consistent option is almost always stronger. I've found that in general, I'm not needing bigger hits, I'm just needing more hits connecting. Especially because such a big factor in fights is either having a disable/move ability hit, or just getting enemies out of the fight faster.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

etalian posted:

I'm pretty sure they've got goblets full of blood. And I guess the answer is "from that party of lowbies you sent to their deaths last week."

e. how the heck does the party tell the difference between an Abusive hellion and a normal hellion enough to get stressed out by her screaming?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

etalian posted:

Finding your wine turned to vinegar is pretty stressful.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

ZypherIM posted:

Well no one is perfectly sure what the formula is, or what exactly is going on with it. I know I've seen a multi-hit swing miss the guy with the *lower* dodge and hit the guy with the higher, so I think it might be more complicated than that.

There is a quirk, Fated, that provides a chance to turn misses into hits.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm pretty sure they've got goblets full of blood. And I guess the answer is "from that party of lowbies you sent to their deaths last week."

e. how the heck does the party tell the difference between an Abusive hellion and a normal hellion enough to get stressed out by her screaming?

It's from who she's looking at when she's screaming. Hellions are like claymore mines: You want a particular end pointed towards the enemy. If it points towards you, instead, it's a bit scary.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ErIog posted:

I like clicking the masks. It feels like identifying an item in Diablo only instead of asking "is this roll good or bad" you ask "is this a benefit or a sign of Terrible Madness".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RubberBands Hurt posted:

I currently have only level 3+ missions available in a game with the first 3 bosses killed, and no characters over level 3. :(

That's not supposed to happen / is a bug then I think. Screenshot?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is there a glitch related to Dodges that people know about? I feel like whenever one of my heroe's attacks get dodged by the AI any other attack aimed at that AI is also dodged. I could just be unlucky though, this game has taught me how unlucky I really am.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

etalian posted:

I hope the game gets a balance tweak since right now the only viable tactic early on sending suicide teams out to collect loot.

Only viable tactic? Hardly.

I mean, I'm sure it works because adventurers are free until you start investing in them, but I've done quite well and never bothered with something like a suicide squad.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nobody knows how dodges work. It's certainly not a straight percentage chance because enemies with 0 dodge can still dodge attacks, and there's a separate tag for misses so it's not just that the attack's accuracy was under 100%.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, I think fighting with anything less than a fully-lit torch makes it harder to hit enemies.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

enraged_camel posted:

Also, I think fighting with anything less than a fully-lit torch makes it harder to hit enemies.

Low light gives a penalty to hit chance but a bonus to crit chance, so it's kind of a wash.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the whole point of the game is getting you to shout at your computer.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Thanks for this. When it indicates an item like, say, the holy water at a confessional, how do you activate it? Does it happen automatically or do you need to select the item?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Notorious QIG posted:

Low light gives a penalty to hit chance but a bonus to crit chance, so it's kind of a wash.

Honestly, the increased crit chance more than makes up for the penalty to hit chance since crits are ridiculously powerful in this game. The only real downside to running low light is the increased chance to be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, the increased crit chance more than makes up for the penalty to hit chance since crits are ridiculously powerful in this game. The only real downside to running low light is the increased chance to be surprised.

I believe your stress resist drops pretty hard in low light too. I don't have a lot of low light experience but every time I've taken in a four-newbie team without torches they survive just fine but all come back afflicted.