Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flowinprose posted:

Lay them flat on their tummy and apply a little bit of pressure to the top of their butt to keep them from moving. It is much easier to restrain them with your off-hand in that position.

Have you ever been in the same room as a two-year-old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

BonoMan posted:

What can you do to relieve a 6 months old congestion? She's got a cold (or a resurgence of her RSV) and while she's in fine spirits she is super congested. I try to suck it when I can but man she fights that thing like I'm coming at her with a knife.

You can use adult Afrin for three days.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I remember hearing on TV that a common way to do it in Greenland is to just put your mouth on their nostril and just suck it out manually.

Remember, spit don't swallow!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Papercut posted:

Have you ever been in the same room as a two-year-old?

I know you're being sarcastic, but yeah I have a 3 year old son.

I never had any problems with keeping him still while taking a rectal temp using the method I described. If I had him laying on his back, though, he would kick the poo poo out of me and would've potentially injured himself while in the process of taking his temp.

:shrug:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
For us it helps that when we're at the point where we feel it's neccessary to take her temperature, she's generally so knocked out by the fever that even though she's mad as hell, it's easy enough to keep her still enough to take a super-quick temperature reading - thank god for digital thermometers that beep after just a few seconds.

Happy to report that we're on the mend, though! Her Mothersday gift to me was eating more for breakfast today than she ate all yesterday, and all in all she ate more actual food today than she's eaten combined since she started feeling poorly on Thursday afternoon. She's been subsiding on hot cocoa, cuddles and youtube videos for three days now, but today she had enough energy to play a bit, and she wanted to be tickled and laughed as I chased her! Oh man, I didn't realize how much I'd missed the sound of that :)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Volmarias posted:

It's the opposite, Europe is 220V while Murcah is 110V.

The voltage doesn't much matter, it's amperage that will kill you. Either way these things all sound like 'things kids do' and not 'wow failure of care'.

Werner-Boogle posted:

Please use rectal thermometers. Studies across all of Europe have found that ear thermometers have an uncertainty of +/- 1,5 degrees Celsius. I am a doctor, and if a nurse has only taken a temp in the ear I always ask them to redo it rectally. You just can't trust them, even though they are very convenient.

I can understand why, medically, you need to be more precise. However, the decision-making I do with a thermometer doesn't rely on more than 1.5 degree precision. 37.5ish, no fever, 39ish and acting 'sick', HM, maybe time for Tylenol, approaching 40ish, ok time to call the doctor. We have a rectal one somewhere but haven't taken it out in years. For basic decisions in an otherwise healthy child I don't see what you gain from the extra precision vs the convenience and comfort of an ear one. Being able to take a temp without stressing a child is often valuable vs getting it exactly right.

Heck, I go to a clinic for an infusion every month and the nurses there (as well as docs at the related clinic) seem to think an ear therm is good enough to make sure I'm not having a reaction to my drugs or other issues.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The voltage doesn't much matter, it's amperage that will kill you. Either way these things all sound like 'things kids do' and not 'wow failure of care'.

Unless a person's resistance drops in half just from crossing the pond, that voltage difference is going to have a very significant impact on how much amperage they experience.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I have no idea why you'd have problems? I got one from walgreens (aka generic pharmacy) that does rectal/mouth/underarm (hopefully not all at the same time :v: ) and it does a reading in about 2 seconds under the arm and is accurate as hell. It's as accurate as my wife's basal thermometer.

I haven't the slightest loving clue. Either I'm pointing it the wrong way or something. The digital I took in my mouth and the ear came up the same. It's really drat weird. Maybe I have some anti-thermometer field around me right now or something. The ear one, however (The cheap one from Rite Aid) is uncomfortable as poo poo in the ear, so it will probably be returned.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno if the 230v we get here is really that much more dangerous when you looked at how many people die from it in the end, but I might just be talking out of my rear end. My unsupported notion is it doesn't seem to be a problem and we can skip all of that having both 110 and 220v outlets, we just have the one outlet. Well actually I lie, in most of europe, UK excluded, we also get 400V 3-phase as part of the standard residential package. As someone with a workshop and tools I don't know how my US counterparts manage without it, I'd riot in the street and call for revolution. But it's probably quite dangerous to get shocked by.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I have the Exergen forehead scanner and have found it to be very accurate, but it's biggest selling point to me is how easy it is to use on a sick kid. I didn't expect much because of the price but of all the ones I've tried it's closest to rectal digital temp. I think brand matters here--I had a cheaper brand's version of it (bought when my son threw the first Exergen in the toilet) and it was terrible. Everyone I tested it on as 98.4. It still does, I just checked before posting this!

I also have the stick in the ear ear scanner type and I've never been able to successfully use it on my son, he freaks the gently caress out and screams and thrashes. I try them all on myself to get an idea of how well they work/how to use them and it was kind of uncomfortable, and it's not accurate enough for me to fight to use it when I have the Exergen. 99% of the time I'm taking his temp alone, so rectal is a last resort. When he was a tiny newborn I used it because I was nervous because he was, you know, a tiny newborn and fever was terrifying (luckily was only after vaccinations, he only got proper sick the first time recently at about 18 months thankfully).

That said, I agree with whoever upthread said they can't imagine a situation at home with an otherwise medically unremarkable child where knowing EXACTLY the temp is necessary to make a decision one way or another. I (for once) had the presence of mind to take his temp when healthy to have an idea of how the scanner reads "normally" and that helps too I think, but who am I kidding it's usually 4am when you have to use one for the first time and you're wondering why the tabletop registers as 98.4 too.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
You are of course right about how knowing the exact temp might not be super important. I wanna reiterate though, that ear temp can vary 1.5 Celsius from the rectal temp, so your child measuring 38.5ish might actually be rocking 40 and that's a different beast. But you all sound pretty reasonable so I guess I can trust that you know the difference between when to take your child to the doctor and when to just keep them at home.

Ear temp is just sort of a pet peeve of mine. Someone mentioned nurses taking his ear temp for medicine reactions - nurses love ear temp because it's super convenient, but if I was in charge of the clinic I'd definitely have them so rectal temp. Only thing you can trust, I think.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

BonoMan posted:

What can you do to relieve a 6 months old congestion? She's got a cold (or a resurgence of her RSV) and while she's in fine spirits she is super congested. I try to suck it when I can but man she fights that thing like I'm coming at her with a knife.

The Nosefrida is amazing and works better than any bulb aspirator I've found. It's a tube that lets you suck the snot out (there's a filter).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ah both kids are puking now. Last night Daniel started vomiting a lot, probably all he'd eaten that day. Today David started puking too. I had hoped it wasn't a bug but it seems like it is.

Daniel also kicked so much in his sleep that he kicked out on of the bars on his kiddy bed. Heard a loud crash and went to look and there he was, sleeping and his foot outside the bed and the side bar lying on the floor.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ah both kids are puking now. Last night Daniel started vomiting a lot, probably all he'd eaten that day. Today David started puking too. I had hoped it wasn't a bug but it seems like it is.

Welcome to daycare.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Funny thing is their first day is tomorrow, they've only been a few hours total before to get used to the place.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Funny thing is their first day is tomorrow, they've only been a few hours total before to get used to the place.

Kids can lick a lot of stuff in a few hours, and I guarantee you every inch of that daycare has been licked by a germridden child. During pick-up I turned my back on my kid for half a second, and when I turned back, she was licking the snot off another toddlers face :barf: But I've found that I don't get sick myself half as much as I expected - my immune system seems to successfully fend off most of the things my kid brings home.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Speaking of daycare, just a curiosity question for parents with older kids. Did they seem to get less sick in grade school etc. because they got everything in daycare?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Speaking of daycare, just a curiosity question for parents with older kids. Did they seem to get less sick in grade school etc. because they got everything in daycare?

It is scientifically proven

I'm sure there are plenty of other studies (and anecdotal evidence) that you can pull up as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This weekend Arthur started telling us he wanted to peepee and asking "Out!" (of his clothes we presume) and then we put him on the toilet like five times this weekend and he did it every time except for one when he was must stalling to avoid a nap. He's only 19 months so we were pretty floored. I bought a new toilet seat with a kids seat on it he can fit on, he likes it!

Is this early or about normal? I didn't even know he could tell when he'd have to pee or be able to control it. How long should we stick with this arrangement before trying another step?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
My wife and I do ear temp and if it is high we follow up with under arm temp. It seems to work pretty well. If the kid is already sick we just go straight to the arm.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

greatn posted:

This weekend Arthur started telling us he wanted to peepee and asking "Out!" (of his clothes we presume) and then we put him on the toilet like five times this weekend and he did it every time except for one when he was must stalling to avoid a nap. He's only 19 months so we were pretty floored. I bought a new toilet seat with a kids seat on it he can fit on, he likes it!

Is this early or about normal? I didn't even know he could tell when he'd have to pee or be able to control it. How long should we stick with this arrangement before trying another step?

I think it's normal, my parents told me I was toilet trained by 1.5 years and hardly wore diapers anymore. And hinting it was time to get a potty and start training ours. Which sorta just escaped our minds.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

amethystbliss posted:

The Nosefrida is amazing and works better than any bulb aspirator I've found. It's a tube that lets you suck the snot out (there's a filter).
Seconding Nosefrida, only complaint is that the price is kind of silly for what it must cost to make them. Those bulb things are borderline useless.

Most kids will still try to prevent you from suctioning their sinuses with every last ounce of their being, of course.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

greatn posted:

I don't think there is any normal with potty training. We started both our boys at 6 months, just sitting them on the potty and playing with them, praising them if they went. My oldest boy was potty trained by 2 years. My 18 month old just isn't making the connection at all. My niece refused actively until her mom just asked her, around 4 years old, Lauren when are you going to use the potty? She said "this weekend mommy." and that was it.

Feel lucky, the sooner I never change another diaper the better.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It looks like Jasper isn't growing as fast as he should be for a toddler. He's sort of almost plateaued out at around a year and a half and is now in the 10th percentile (He was in the 95th as an infant). I'm 5'8" and his dad is 6'5" so we're not short people. Anyone have experience with taking a child to an endocrinologist? The doctor said something about checking his bones to see if they're maturing too fast or something. I'm feeling slightly guilty it might have been something I did because I had to be on methimazole while I was pregnant and was slightly hypothyroid as well.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

greatn posted:

It's probably on the early side but not abnormal or anything :)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Alterian posted:

It looks like Jasper isn't growing as fast as he should be for a toddler. He's sort of almost plateaued out at around a year and a half and is now in the 10th percentile (He was in the 95th as an infant). I'm 5'8" and his dad is 6'5" so we're not short people. Anyone have experience with taking a child to an endocrinologist? The doctor said something about checking his bones to see if they're maturing too fast or something. I'm feeling slightly guilty it might have been something I did because I had to be on methimazole while I was pregnant and was slightly hypothyroid as well.

We were just there on Friday following up my son's most recent tests! A Bone Age Scan is super fast and easy - it's an x-ray of his hand and wrist. Those images are then compared to standard images - they are looking at the thickness of the growth plates. You get results back that say things like "Bone age: 7years, 7 months. Actual age: 7 years 3 months." There will probably be a battery of blood and urine tests as well just to get baselines for everything and make sure everything is within normal range. My kid also does DEXA scans (bone density imaging of the pelvis and hips), but that is because he has pre-existing hypercalcemia...or had it anyway, kids with Williams Syndrome pretty much all have it in infancy and grow out of it over time. She orders blood and urine every 6 months to his growth hormone levels, thyroid, calcium:creatinine ratio, etc.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How long do the xrays take? Making any 2 year old sit still is difficult. He didn't freak out over his small blood draw to check his iron/lead or his shot but he had a full on tantrum about me holding him and his hand for a few minutes so he wouldn't mess with his band aid.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alterian posted:

How long do the xrays take? Making any 2 year old sit still is difficult. He didn't freak out over his small blood draw to check his iron/lead or his shot but he had a full on tantrum about me holding him and his hand for a few minutes so he wouldn't mess with his band aid.

Put candy in their mouth. My 3 year old would do almost anything for a lollipop. He LOVES getting a haircut because he gets a lollipop. he talks to the hairdresser for 10 minutes about lollipops while they cut his hair.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Alterian posted:

Like no time at all. Liam had one done as part of a study we went to, it was literally "Here, sit on my lap and stick your hand in here! We're done!" When we do them at Children's Hospital, it's in the regular radiology department so maybe...2 or 3 seconds between when they put the kid's hand down and when they press the GO button on the machine (they have 2 techs, one to position the kid and then take 2 steps back and the other who just sits in the booth and takes the pictures as soon as tech 1 steps back). We try to schedule them for when my husband or mom can be available to help because it works better to have them stand there with him and basically hold him still. I keep telling the techs I'm fuckin' DONE with babies but they still don't love it when I'm in there. I do recommend going somewhere that specializes in pediatric imaging, they're far more equipped to deal with the getting poo poo done FAST and fun and here's a sticker or twelve okay bye.

My kid has a lot of health issues so there are lots of visits for various specialties with weird testing. We practiced for this by playing games - like the FREEZE! game and the "I'm giving your arm a hug with this totally non-threatening blood pressure cuff that is totally for sure not trying to kill you, isn't it super silly!" game. It wasn't not so much role-playing the doctor visit as it was just making a game that we played in all different settings and circumstances, so when I asked him to do it at the doctor, he didn't realize was because Something Was Going On That Was Weird And Scary.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That's a good idea. We were already playing by making faces in the mirror of opening our mouth and sticking out our tongue and having fun measuring our head with the tape measure. Maybe I'll make up a keep your hand still game.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Put candy in their mouth. My 3 year old would do almost anything for a lollipop. He LOVES getting a haircut because he gets a lollipop. he talks to the hairdresser for 10 minutes about lollipops while they cut his hair.

Might try that, we had to cut our 3 year old's hair while he was asleep.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My brother, his wife, and their two kids (18mo and 6yr) are coming in to town this weekend. They are from rural Kansas.

I have spare convertible car seat and a backless booster. They don't plan to bring any car seats. Obviously the 6 y/o in the backless and the 18mo in the convertible. If it were my 18mo/old it'd be rear facing for sure, but when I assured my brother that the convertible will accommodate rear-facing for the youngster, he indicated they don't want to rear face, they front face at home so we can just front face. I mentioned that rear facing was safer at that age, and he dismissed it right off.

I'm not a car seat evangelist, I know they're blood relatives but I don't really care what they do at home. When I'm the one tooling around I feel like I have more of a responsibility if we get in an accident and we kill the 18 mo old.

Curious to know what others would do... demand we rear face, or let it go and front face (they'll only be here 3 days)?

Assume the 18mo old is within the front-facing tolerance (height, weight, age).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My car my rules? I make people buckle up when they ride with me when they don't otherwise wear seatbelts..

Tough situation :-/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What does your auto insurance company say? Will they cover an incident where a child was not secured properly?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's probably fine. They're legally within the size weight restrictions for front facing, even though it's not the optimal arrangement, it's perfectly legal and that's what the kids are used to.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

What does your auto insurance company say? Will they cover an incident where a child was not secured properly?
The child will be secured properly (i.e. within the rule of law) either way.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

gently caress - just discovered our standing freezer died, and took a 3 month supply of milk with it. Thing was really warm, so it probably stopped working at least a week ago. At least we made it over a year, and we were going to wean anyways...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Kids have been at daycare for 1.5 hours now, wonder how it goes :ohdear:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

photomikey posted:

Assume the 18mo old is within the front-facing tolerance (height, weight, age).

The problem with front-facing babies and toddlers is the strain a collision (even a small one!) puts on their neck. Even if he's a big 18 month old, his head size to neck strength ratio won't magically be less out of whack. Every recommendation I've ever seen, is that children should be rear facing until at least 2 years of age, and as long as it's possible after that. It's not untill they're approaching 4 years old that their head is more in line with the rest of their bodies.

I think the best thing to do, would be continuing to try to teach your brother why rear-facing is so much safer for such a small toddler. Just laying down the law and saying "my car, my rules" will keep the kid safe while they're visiting, but his neck is still going to snap like a twig if they get into a collision back home and he's front facing :(

What a lovely situation. Disagreements with relatives about child management and child care is always tough, but it's way worse when the kids actual safety is at stake. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If your town/county has a car seat inspector, maybe give them a call. I'm sure they'll say the recommendation is two years as well (mine did when I checked on when to switch). Might help with the discussion if you to can say the inspector told you.

Kids have been at daycare for 1.5 hours now, wonder how it goes :ohdear:

They've probably licked everything by now.