Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Just trying chromecast/plex for the first time.

When I try to stream any videos through plex to my TV, it just sits on 'casting to tv' while the TV says 'ready to cast'.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

edit: Streaming through youtube has no worries. And when I have cast chrome tabs to the TV there aren't any issues either. Just Plex.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Any way to force the Plex pass sync to pickup subtitles? It seems really hit or miss about getting them.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Any way to force the Plex pass sync to pickup subtitles? It seems really hit or miss about getting them.

You mean download them? Use the subliminal addon, the opensubtitles addon was garbage when I tried it.

https://github.com/bramwalet/Subliminal.bundle

Oh nevermind I missed that...Need more coffee.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 6, 2015

Senturion
Jul 29, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Just trying chromecast/plex for the first time.

When I try to stream any videos through plex to my TV, it just sits on 'casting to tv' while the TV says 'ready to cast'.

Any ideas what I have done wrong?

edit: Streaming through youtube has no worries. And when I have cast chrome tabs to the TV there aren't any issues either. Just Plex.

When you say streaming through plex, how are you going about doing this?

I just got a chromecast a week ago and was playing around with it the other day. Logging into the web portal for my plex server in chrome allowed me to cast the same way I would cast a tab in chrome. If you are doing it differently somehow, maybe try that?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Senturion posted:

When you say streaming through plex, how are you going about doing this?

I just got a chromecast a week ago and was playing around with it the other day. Logging into the web portal for my plex server in chrome allowed me to cast the same way I would cast a tab in chrome. If you are doing it differently somehow, maybe try that?

Yeah I'm doing it that way.

Senturion
Jul 29, 2013

EvilElmo posted:

Yeah I'm doing it that way.

Gotcha, well if it still isn't working, my tried and highly unscientific method involves starting and stopping the cast a few times, or turning off and on the chromecast, or a combination of the two. Not sure what it is, but I know when I tried streaming from my phone sometimes I had to start, stop, and restart streaming for it to work.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Hmmm tried that but still nothing. It's weird I can stream the movies from my computer through my phone but not straight from the PC. Weird.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe it's a firewall issue? Check you're allowing Plex to act as a server and receive incoming connections

Also if you're running it over the internet instead of on your home network (by connecting through some web service - I haven't used it but you know what I mean) then your router might be blocking connections, since the requests are coming in on the external IP address through the web service. Might be worth looking into at least!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hughlander posted:

There is a specific naming scheme for them. Are all of yours named accordingly?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200471133-Adding-Local-Subtitles-to-Your-Media

Example: movie.en.srt for english subs, etc.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200471133-Adding-Local-Subtitles-to-Your-Media

notwithoutmyanus posted:

They're found on the server. Just not synced.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Apparently if you're using the Plex app on your Samsung tv you'll be interrupted, while your video is playing, every 8 to 30 minutes with a Pepsi commerical! Samsung really is trying to push the limits between this and the "always listening" accusations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I wonder if Plex will ever support audio books. I'd love a centralized repository of audio books where it remembers every user and where they stopped last.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess Audiobooks could be muxed into a video container with no actual video track (so file size won't be an issue), then just log them as Home Media type and use the existing User system to track positions?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

suddenlyissoon posted:

Apparently if you're using the Plex app on your Samsung tv you'll be interrupted, while your video is playing, every 8 to 30 minutes with a Pepsi commerical! Samsung really is trying to push the limits between this and the "always listening" accusations.

Holy poo poo, is this for real? Remind me to never touch a Samsung.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

just get a amazon fire stick or whatever. The Plex app is much better than what's on the samsung and you can leave the samsung off of the internet

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
How's the XBox One app? I've been thinking of getting PlexPass for it since the XBone seems to handle 60hz HDTV streams really well (while the Chromecast tops out at 30 fps), making it a candidate for One True Box status - does it have a greater ability for Direct Play? Being able to let my wife watch something without my main desktop having to transcode it would be a real plus.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

How's the XBox One app? I've been thinking of getting PlexPass for it since the XBone seems to handle 60hz HDTV streams really well (while the Chromecast tops out at 30 fps), making it a candidate for One True Box status - does it have a greater ability for Direct Play? Being able to let my wife watch something without my main desktop having to transcode it would be a real plus.

I think its better than the roku/fire tv apps, although not quite as good as PHT on an actual HTPC.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Source? My 60H7150 TV doesn't do this. I'm running the latest firmware.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yup, started happening yesterday

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/2va6k9/plex_stops_half_way_through_and_plays_a_pepsi_ad/

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I actually got in to the legal section of smart hub menu in my hu8550 and found 4 or 5 sections in which you could disagree or opt-out of advertisements. Still, the fact that it exists on a 2500 TV pisses me off.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Saw this on that page:

quote:

Ads are enabled by default on recent Samsung (smart TVs) updates apparently.
To disable: press Menu on your Samsung Remote and scroll to Smart Hub > Terms & Policy > Yahoo Privacy Policy. Scroll to “I disagree with the Yahoo Privacy Notice.” and you can toggle the option on to opt-out.

If there any more policies listed within Terms & Policy I would check all of those as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's absolutely ridiculous you even have to do that. I ignore all the smart TV nonsense on my Panasonic (I think at some point they used to run ads in the EPG on it, but I don't watch terrestrial TV more than once or twice a year) but I'm guessing that the Plex app on the Samsung neither costs Samsung a penny, is supported by them in any way, etc but still used as a way of nickel and diming? Reprehensible bullshit, how on earth did they think nobody would notice or care?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Kind of a dumb question, but do people that I have shared my libraries with need to pay for Plex Pass too or is it only me that needs to pay?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

I actually got in to the legal section of smart hub menu in my hu8550 and found 4 or 5 sections in which you could disagree or opt-out of advertisements. Still, the fact that it exists on a 2500 TV pisses me off.

That is completely lawsuit material. Maybe this is why politicians are investigating already.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

diremonk posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but do people that I have shared my libraries with need to pay for Plex Pass too or is it only me that needs to pay?

You can share libraries with anyone, they don't need plex pass. I have plex pass so I don't know if its even required anymore. I guess you could look at the plex pass page.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That is completely lawsuit material. Maybe this is why politicians are investigating already.

I'd be down for a lawsuit. It completely pisses me off that they would even think that is remotely ok on a full price tv and then they bury the ability to turn it off way down in the menu. It's not like a kindle where they sell a discounted "ad-supported" version this tv was full freaking price (not to mention how Samsung participates in the unilateral pricing (cough, cough, price fixing). This would be like buying a Kindle, starting a book and every 8 pages you get a full screen ad for a Taylor Swift album.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

notwithoutmyanus posted:

On what grounds?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

porkface posted:

On what grounds?

I have absolutely no idea but they did add this poo poo in after the TV came out without warning. Is that something?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but what's the best way to watch your own media on a TV when the computer with said media is a floor up?

To clarify, my father-in-law has all sorts of movies, pictures, and music on his computer which is on the 2nd floor of his house. He used to access it all using his son's PS3 who has since moved on to a PS4 which doesn't easily support streaming.

His options:

1) Use the Plex server and access its library through the PS4 browser. Apparently it's not as intuitive as using it the Plex app.
2) Use the Plex server AND a Plex Pass to use the PS4 app. Sounds like his best option but I would have to convince my father-in-law to pay $5/mo or whatever it is.
3) He bought a Chromecast because he thought it would fix all of his problems but to stream local content you need a 3rd-party app AND the computer needs to be by your TV to pause and control the volume and all that. He has an Android tablet and an iPhone but if he remotely accesses his videos from either mobile devices THEN streams it to his TV using Chromecast it will eat up all their batteries, right? When you use Chromecast with Netflix/YouTube your mobile device is just a controller and the video data goes from your router to your TV without going through your phone? Right?

Am I missing something here?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

internet inc posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but what's the best way to watch your own media on a TV when the computer with said media is a floor up?

To clarify, my father-in-law has all sorts of movies, pictures, and music on his computer which is on the 2nd floor of his house. He used to access it all using his son's PS3 who has since moved on to a PS4 which doesn't easily support streaming.

His options:

1) Use the Plex server and access its library through the PS4 browser. Apparently it's not as intuitive as using it the Plex app.
2) Use the Plex server AND a Plex Pass to use the PS4 app. Sounds like his best option but I would have to convince my father-in-law to pay $5/mo or whatever it is.
3) He bought a Chromecast because he thought it would fix all of his problems but to stream local content you need a 3rd-party app AND the computer needs to be by your TV to pause and control the volume and all that. He has an Android tablet and an iPhone but if he remotely accesses his videos from either mobile devices THEN streams it to his TV using Chromecast it will eat up all their batteries, right? When you use Chromecast with Netflix/YouTube your mobile device is just a controller and the video data goes from your router to your TV without going through your phone? Right?

Am I missing something here?

Plex for Chromecast works basically the same way as Netflix. Your PC is the one doing all the heavy work, not your phone/tablet. Your phone/tablet is basically just a remote control.

Depending on how your father-in-law likes to do things, it *might* be easier to return the chromecast and get a roku since that comes with an actual remote and a lot of "older" people find that easier/more familiar. Either that, or wait until the ps4 app comes off of Plexpass (probably in a month or two).

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Plex for Chromecast works basically the same way as Netflix. Your PC is the one doing all the heavy work, not your phone/tablet. Your phone/tablet is basically just a remote control.

Depending on how your father-in-law likes to do things, it *might* be easier to return the chromecast and get a roku since that comes with an actual remote and a lot of "older" people find that easier/more familiar. Either that, or wait until the ps4 app comes off of Plexpass (probably in a month or two).

With the roku, you need to pay for plex pass for the roku app to work. Or you might need to 1 time pay for the roku plex app. Not sure exactly, as I have plex pass.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boywunda posted:

With the roku, you need to pay for plex pass for the roku app to work. Or you might need to 1 time pay for the roku plex app. Not sure exactly, as I have plex pass.

You can just buy Plex for $5 on Roku without PlexPass.

Alternatively, you can install RarFlix, a modified version of the official client with a slightly better UI for free.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Boywunda posted:

You don't need to pay for the Plex Pass to install the Plex Roku app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Boywunda posted:

You just have to pay for the official app on roku, no plex pass required. Or you can use some other alternative like RARflix.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Most of my Plex media is in mkv, but apparently the Firefox native player will only work with mp4s. Transcoding is apparently enabled on my Plex server, but I still get the "this browser can't play this media" message. Is there some extra setting I'm missing?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

annapacketstormaya posted:

Most of my Plex media is in mkv, but apparently the Firefox native player will only work with mp4s. Transcoding is apparently enabled on my Plex server, but I still get the "this browser can't play this media" message. Is there some extra setting I'm missing?

Are you using the experimental HTML5 player?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

When did they start charging for the Plex Roku App? I must've been grandfathered in or something because it was free when I installed.

suddenlyissoon posted:

This would give me great pause before buying a "smart TV" in the future.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

You can just buy Plex for $5 on Roku without PlexPass.

Alternatively, you can install RarFlix, a modified version of the official client with a slightly better UI for free.

When I installed Plex for my Roku stick, I didn't have to pay anything....and I read that it was because I have Plex Pass.
Source - https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201198796-Activating-the-Roku-App

Edit: Re-reading my first post, I worded it all wrong. Either Plex Pass for free Roku Plex app or no plex pass and 1 time purchase of the Plex App

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 11, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

teagone posted:

Are you using the experimental HTML5 player?

That's the intent, yes. The Flash player isn't as good (doesn't fill the entire browser window for whatever reason) and I've removed Flash from my machines since I hate it and they've been having more and more vulnerabilities.

Firefox should be perfectly capable of handling H.264 video now, but it will only work in Chrome. Maybe they need MSE to work (which are still mostly broken in Firefox) for their implementation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Zogo posted:

This would give me great pause before buying a "smart TV" in the future.
Sadly, it's the only option if you want 4K content.