Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

uXs posted:

So um, I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

I need/want to do something similar (yes, for a school project), but with other music/video/sound clips. My initial inspiration are things like the Picard song and the 'They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!' videos. We need to combine music with a different art form and something silly like this seems fun to make. I haven't made any music like this, haven't really worked with samples, or made any videos yet, so I'll probably learn a lot doing it! :v: (Hell, I haven't done anything yet and I already learned a lot looking up poo poo.)

I was wondering what your workflow for something like this is?

My idea was that it would be easiest to start with the music, mix some sound clips/samples in it, and then sync up the video where appropriate. Right?

What hardware/software do you use? I bought a small MIDI controller which came with the lite edition of Ableton Live (wanted one anyway and this seemed like a good reason to finally buy one), and I have Lightworks for the video.

Any other tips or tricks or advice is always welcome.

I too wonder. I know there's a VJ-like thing for Max that basically lets you sequence video clips, like it was a video x0x machine (without tuning). I want to do the DJ Yoda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
The Picard song or Taking The Hobbits To Isengard, eh? That's actually one of the things that don't come up that often in this thread. Here's what I can tell from analyzing the sort of things you mention: I think mainly you just piss on a keyboard, then poo poo and piss inside your computer's case, poo poo all over your monitor and then poo poo and piss and vomit onto the source material. Then you shove it all up a dog's rear end in a top hat, wait until it shits it back out and finally upload it to youtube. Those are the basics, although the specific workflow you'll end up with is probably going to be slightly different, adapted to your needs. Finding your own workflow is one of the most important things you'll do as a musician!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh my :ohdear:

I actually have never done anything like that before, so I went in completely blind. The only tool I used was Sony Vegas (a video editor), and I had to read through the manual and google to find out how I could change the pitch of a clip :downs: After that it was all manual copy+paste and syncing it up to the original music track, though I made it a bit easier for myself by
1) finding out the BPM and setting up the timeline so everything snapped to that and
2) made the melody in Live so I had a reference to how many notes to pitch the next clip up/down.

As far as I could find out, that's how most of these are done (it's called YTPMV on YouTube, example), though I bet there are way better ways of doing it with some plugin or visual programming language or something like Max or... whatever.

Sorry I couldn't be of any real help :(

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

VoodooXT posted:

I'm loving dying here. I especially love it when the lead part with the round robin voice allocation comes in. :lol:

I actually wrote a pseudo-round-robin virtual instrument to use for the "serious" piece. I just couldn't use it, it was too painful. I should really find a MIDI copy of Sandstorm (Danstorm) and plug the virtual instruments and drum racks I made into it just to hear the horrible result. I made two or three instruments that way and threw together two drum racks; one for the drum sounds and one for Dan.

Sample diving into that thing the thing that struck me the most was how little variation there was in the sounds other than the tuning. Even one part where he's like "there's square and saw wave" and him switching between settings, but neither sounded like either. Even the sounds I did use mostly were fed through overdrive to make them not all sound like a flat sine wave.

I had to do some tweaking to get the sequences time-mapped; maybe I just suck at Live, but even the timing of that seemed broken. But the tuning really hurt, especially when I tried to make a lead in the upper octaves. Even taking three notes from that one sequence was a tuning stretch.

The drum sounds were okay at least, but I'm guessing you're not getting that much variation in the sounds given the selection I listened to. Those pew sounds weren't bad at least.

The sound I liked the best I used at the beginning and was mostly just a pitched down clip with the rhythmic sections in it from the sound of Dan ineffectually stabbing the buttons. I actually liked that button stabbing sound a lot; it made for a nice fat click sound so I used it in most of the first song.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Startyde posted:

Yo, send it along, I can do that today if you hit me early enough because of snow day. :yotj: synthdrunk at gm.
Tapeheads now send me addresses. ^

Sent.

Artist: snorch
Title: repairman
Blurb: https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I don't know about you guys, but I vote we make "Repairman" the album opener.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Artist: Mr. Avex
Title: Bafficolo
Blurb: http://soundcloud.com/sjoewe

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Ableton can play video clips...

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey the masters sound great!

Artist: field balm
Track: Tunnel Vision
Blurb: https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Your Computer posted:

Oh my :ohdear:

I actually have never done anything like that before, so I went in completely blind. The only tool I used was Sony Vegas (a video editor), and I had to read through the manual and google to find out how I could change the pitch of a clip :downs: After that it was all manual copy+paste and syncing it up to the original music track, though I made it a bit easier for myself by
1) finding out the BPM and setting up the timeline so everything snapped to that and
2) made the melody in Live so I had a reference to how many notes to pitch the next clip up/down.

As far as I could find out, that's how most of these are done (it's called YTPMV on YouTube, example), though I bet there are way better ways of doing it with some plugin or visual programming language or something like Max or... whatever.

Sorry I couldn't be of any real help :(

Nah it's cool, you're helping.

When you're saying 'Max', you're talking about the Cycling 74 thing? Never heard of it before. Looks interesting, but probably overkill for what I need. Still, I could check it out... if nothing else I can advertise it in class, I'll get brownie points for bringing up something cool.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa
I bought an MS-20 a few weeks ago and it's been a lot of fun, but after failing to copy a couple patches, I'm worried there might be something wrong with mine. Is there like a diagnostic checklist out there or something like that?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I want to buy a mixer for some OTB jams with a couple of synths, a drum machine, and some effect pedals. Would I be best off with a gritty old-school mixer (Boss, Tascam, etc.) or should I go for a newer Yamaha, Mackie or A&H model?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

surrender posted:

I want to buy a mixer for some OTB jams with a couple of synths, a drum machine, and some effect pedals. Would I be best off with a gritty old-school mixer (Boss, Tascam, etc.) or should I go for a newer Yamaha, Mackie or A&H model?

What kinda style? For techno or harder styles look for something older, maybe a mackie, that you can drive hard for grit. All the newer cheap stuff works perfectly well if you don't need anything except levels and maybe panning.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I've started writing music again! :eng101:

It's still terrible! :eng99:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Amen brother!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That reminds me...

Buy a laser-cut rendering of the Amen break!

I know it's not technically synths but some of you will definitely appreciate that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

I did rub my balls on a Hi8 during the entire process. The MP3s were made from WAVs so that's fine I'll rar it up and stick it somewhere later today.

Where are the .wavs, Lebowski?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Sizone posted:

Where are the .wavs, Lebowski?

uploading now, it's comcastic!

Oldstench posted:

I've started writing music again! :eng101:
It's still terrible! :eng99:

same, but not writing music

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

:pcgaming1:yo
For what it's worth I enjoy that a lot more than actually making music so if you guys ever want another pair of ears on something feel free to hit me up.
Also get PMs poors gosh

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Plat's 10$ that wouldn't go to more synths.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Last night I finally got a chance to try out using the A4 just to sequence the modular and provide effects. Recording was a bit slapdash because I had work the next morning and I've learned never to assume the patch will sound right the next day. Didn't have the chance to play with parameter locking for this one, just straight sequencing of the main melody and clock for the rest. DPO for the bass, used the Intelligel VCF run super hot through the Springray reverb for the slow melody and the main melody provided by the Rubicon. I'm happy with it as an evening's work trying out the sequence, and I'm just happy I've got more than 8 steps to work with now and will have to use the A4's actual voices as part of it next.

https://soundcloud.com/stillvisions/robot-lullaby

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Startyde posted:

uploading now, it's comcastic!

same, but not writing music

I've been in the middle of switching jobs so same here as well.

On the bright side, I got a huge raise so I can buy more synths to not make music with. :v:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

kuf posted:

I bought an MS-20 a few weeks ago and it's been a lot of fun, but after failing to copy a couple patches, I'm worried there might be something wrong with mine. Is there like a diagnostic checklist out there or something like that?

Sup new MS-20 owning buddies :hi5:

Paired mine up with a new Microbrute and poo poo just owns. Do you have any patches you want to compare? I can try to recreate and throw on Soundcloud.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
reddit_synths.txt

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
:v:

It's a Kevin Smith thing, you've got to be really high to figure it out.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
37 keys, in a row?!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

tfw when you load up your project from late the night before, spend a few hours attempting to eq the harshness out of a snare and realise its a saturator on an exciter setting on the bus causing the issue. I've never even used that setting before. :downs:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

field balm posted:

tfw when you load up your project from late the night before, spend a few hours attempting to eq the harshness out of a snare and realise its a saturator on an exciter setting on the bus causing the issue. I've never even used that setting before. :downs:

I had some issues with monitoring for a while, everything sounded weird and I was convinced my right ear was hosed. Was panning hihats and noticed they completely dissapeared in the right speaker, the tweeter was dead. Turns out it was just lovely design from Alesis and the monitors had started to die a natural death (components getting cooked).

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It is done

hail satan

https://synthgoons.bandcamp.com/album/boner-jamz

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Turned out pretty cool. First 'official' release :v:
Now if I could only do that with my serious music...

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Sizone posted:

hail satan

owns bonez

really liking: flipperwaldt's M1 piano track, stillvisions' and the Bafficolo track. also the synth repair man track obvs. :gizz:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Real pleased with it myself. The end of sinerider's track is loving amazing. Realized, listening to it as I was doing the back cover art and uploading it and stuff, that I don't want to skip any of the tracks , pretty loving remarkable for a kinda random compilation. Sure wish some one had put up the mastered version of intro to boner jamz though, that track really ties the room together.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

mmm, yes
rebuke the synth merchant seven times? I tell you not seven, but seventy times seven

Sizone posted:

Real pleased with it myself. The end of sinerider's track is loving amazing. Realized, listening to it as I was doing the back cover art and uploading it and stuff, that I don't want to skip any of the tracks , pretty loving remarkable for a kinda random compilation. Sure wish some one had put up the mastered version of intro to boner jamz though, that track really ties the room together.

trifling rear end motherfucka

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

So are we taking this over to GBS in ML compilation tradition, or has that place thoroughly gone to poo poo now?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

snorch posted:

So are we taking this over to GBS in ML compilation tradition, or has that place thoroughly gone to poo poo now?

Have you seen that place? It's less coherent than loving 4chan. :negative:

Which is sad, because it'd be nice to have somewhere to post this other than the synth thread. I'm so proud of everyone :swoon:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Says a whole goddamn lot that my favorite tracks are half the album.

Your Computer - Intro to BonerJamz
KYH - Private Dick
Stillvisions - Hot California Nights
Your Computer - On My Way
Xpander - Drive Me Away
Mr. Avex - Bafficolo
Snorch - Repairman

And it isn't that I don't like the others, it's just that the above capture the BonerJamz spirit perfectly and as such have remarkable cohesion. So, good job fuckers.

As far as exposure goes, someone who understands that place could post it to Reddit like the last one. If we're not doing the charity thing, I don't care much either way. I'm just happy this functions perfectly well as an ongoing excuse for me to actually make music.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Awwwww, thanks, dude. :3:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Man, I really am sad I couldn't get anything together really fitting in the spirit. I'm digging so many of these groovy rear end jams.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

So, good job fuckers.

Aww, you're too kind :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

As far as exposure goes, someone who understands that place could post it to Reddit like the last one. If we're not doing the charity thing, I don't care much either way. I'm just happy this functions perfectly well as an ongoing excuse for me to actually make music.

/r/synthesizers would be a good place if y'all are down.