Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

KaneTW posted:

FFXIV raids are really fun, mostly because 8 people is a nice number and you don't have to deal with the dickbaggery that's 20 people for mythic (rip 10man raiding).

Downside: clique drama galore as people move from one LinkShell to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

KaneTW posted:

FFXIV raids are really fun, mostly because 8 people is a nice number and you don't have to deal with the dickbaggery that's 20 people for mythic (rip 10man raiding).

I will counter by saying that doing a tightly tuned 40 man raid encounter with 39 other great players (system daemons, 3% or some poo poo on gloomclaw) was one of the most enjoyable things i've ever done in an mmo and the 40 man lfr molten core was a joke compared to that.

I mean, I still did the latter for my lovely hats, but I dunno, sense of accomplishment and all that. It was almost worth dealing with other guilds poaching our members for over a month and trying to recruit for the best (read: least loved) class of all time.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 3, 2015

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

I switched to FFXIV around the time we had a lot of people quitting during Storm Legion and yeah, its an amazing game. Plenty of content for everyone without forcing you to grind out the same dull rep faction over and over forever.:negative:

Did that get any better with the new expansion? Grinding Torvan Hunters and those new Dendrome ones was just the worst, most vanilla WoW feature ever.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Zoness posted:

I found this image and I will treasure it forever or until this thread / my bookmarks die.

Huh, last I saw that truck there was a dude loading it full of dead bodies.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Maybe seeing Archeage go down like Hindenburg will put some sense in Trion and make them try to go back to their old ways of being a good company :v:

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

RottenK posted:

Maybe seeing Archeage go down like Hindenburg will put some sense in Trion and make them try to go back to their old ways of being a good company :v:
I doubt it. They made a killing off of AA with all of the people dropping $200 or whatever for early access.

Which is really the problem, MMOs are springing up for quick bucks because a large portion of the community only plays them for a short time regardless of anything.

They're designed to be MASSIVELY multiplayer and then everyone leaves because the game sucked and then you don't have the amount of people you need for it not to suck when they fix it a few months later. I think the relatively simple fix would be to downsize raids (FFXIV) or find a way to scale content so you can take something like 6-12 people along and be roughly the same, to mitigate some of the inevitable drama when people can't get in.

Also weekly locks are terrible.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tom Powers posted:

They're designed to be MASSIVELY multiplayer and then everyone leaves because the game sucked and then you don't have the amount of people you need for it not to suck when they fix it a few months later. I think the relatively simple fix would be to downsize raids (FFXIV) or find a way to scale content so you can take something like 6-12 people along and be roughly the same, to mitigate some of the inevitable drama when people can't get in.

Also weekly locks are terrible.

These are the same arguments i've seen everyone recycle and having gone through all of these games I don't see them being objectively better one way or the other - weekly locks on loot have to exist in one way or another, you're going to have drama cutting people from your raid one way or the other.

You can pretend that these things that would solve every problem with any mmo aren't in place because devs hate their players but what it comes down to is if you start downshifting your content targetting, like trion did with rift (albeit convoluted a bit with the microtransaction store), you'll just hasten the decay of your playerbase. The stupid class warfare mmo debate keeps going on but it comes down to that mmos need to retain players who can't do all the content while having challenging content to retain skilled players because have you seen a typical lfr in wow holy poo poo. Alternatively one could do away with raids altogether, that's definitely a factor out of many that keeps Eve alive, but the demand for raids is there in some capacity, so there's going to be an mmo that has raids.

Downsizing raids also isn't a perfect solution because a raid is a delicate balance of tuning for difficulty and forgiveness. More players enables easier tuning and the existence of more classes/playable archetypes per encounter (for example good luck not having 3 clerics available for a 10 man group for GA progression or 6 clerics for a 20 man roster, and while 6 of any class was normal for rift, 6 active members keeping 2 raids going was a tough sell because that involved people learning roles that didn't translate to 20 mans). Another problem here is since each player's responsibility is higher, it's tougher to maintain a bench on a low roster because you're expecting your benched players to immediately know what's going on, whereas on a 20-man encounter you can delegate a greater variance in degree of responsibility and ease people into the content. I'd also loop this back to the massively thing - why keep the size of content lower when the game is intended to be played by a large population of players? What's the point of there being millions of subscribers if I only see 7 other people at any moment?

I won't pretend to know what the panacea is, but I know what doesn't work, from experience, and that at some level the issue with games isn't specific talking points like raid size or accessibility or whatever but an overall ability to retain players - as a studio needs to have players for the income to maintain a fast development staff. MMO players on average are very fast to latch onto perceived flaws in a game (wow shamans at wod release lmao) and if a publisher/maker isn't moving fast enough to satisfy these demands no matter how asinine they are it's going to pile up into a loss of subs.

Also when people say weekly locks are terrible they often point to wow but the lock system for wow mythic raids is just as restrictive as rift's system.

Anyway this is a lot of words to say that rift was bleeding players from a couple of mistakes / possible poor decisions which led to actual poor decisions that led to more players being bled.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 3, 2015

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Zoness posted:

Downsizing raids also isn't a perfect solution because a raid is a delicate balance of tuning for difficulty and forgiveness. More players enables easier tuning and the existence of more classes/playable archetypes per encounter (for example good luck not having 3 clerics available for a 10 man group for GA progression or 6 clerics for a 20 man roster, and while 6 of any class was normal for rift, 6 active members keeping 2 raids going was a tough sell because that involved people learning roles that didn't translate to 20 mans). Another problem here is since each player's responsibility is higher, it's tougher to maintain a bench on a low roster because you're expecting your benched players to immediately know what's going on, whereas on a 20-man encounter you can delegate a greater variance in degree of responsibility and ease people into the content. I'd also loop this back to the massively thing - why keep the size of content lower when the game is intended to be played by a large population of players? What's the point of there being millions of subscribers if I only see 7 other people at any moment?

Flex raiding is such a game-changer in this regard; it really needs to become mandatory in the way that automated PvE matchmaking became mandatory 6-7 years ago. It gets rid of the bench problem because you don't have one anymore - everyone can raid every night, particularly in something like Rift where any given character can always fill 2-3 roles. It forces a certain amount of design rigor because you have to sit down and think about how your scaling works, so you have to set hard targets on things like DPS, HPS, tank mechanics. As far as I'm concerned it has no downsides - except that you have to have your poo poo together on the technical end to make it happen. And no one seems to have their poo poo together these days except for Blizzard and Yoshi-P.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So having had a couple days to 're-learn' the game, a question:

Since every class (calling, whatever) can fill every role now is there really any effective difference between them other than what gear they use/how they look?

I wish there was a simple list out there somewhere that was basically "OK, this is how warriors heal. Clerics heal like this, mages heal like THIS" repeat for DPS/tanking/support.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

Flex raiding is such a game-changer in this regard; it really needs to become mandatory in the way that automated PvE matchmaking became mandatory 6-7 years ago. It gets rid of the bench problem because you don't have one anymore - everyone can raid every night, particularly in something like Rift where any given character can always fill 2-3 roles. It forces a certain amount of design rigor because you have to sit down and think about how your scaling works, so you have to set hard targets on things like DPS, HPS, tank mechanics. As far as I'm concerned it has no downsides - except that you have to have your poo poo together on the technical end to make it happen. And no one seems to have their poo poo together these days except for Blizzard and Yoshi-P.

You pointed out the main downside to flex - it severely limits design space when a lot of boss encounters are already rehashes of previous groups of mechanics. If you 'overtune' some bosses relative to the rest of the instance or imbalance them by specs you get the highmaul problem where you still have to bench players on heroic imperator to meet checks. Opening up the dimensions by which players can minmax games makes it more difficult to make things legitimately challenging across the board, which is a reason it's not a concept that extends to mythic difficulty raids.

WarLocke posted:

So having had a couple days to 're-learn' the game, a question:

Since every class (calling, whatever) can fill every role now is there really any effective difference between them other than what gear they use/how they look?

I wish there was a simple list out there somewhere that was basically "OK, this is how warriors heal. Clerics heal like this, mages heal like THIS" repeat for DPS/tanking/support.

This is for lvl 60 stuff but wrt healing:

Warrior healers could only heal groups (i.e. lacked strong tank heals at a raid level) and lacked strong mitigation cooldowns (they had a handful)

Mage healers have the highest overall throughput and a degree of flexibility in group vs single target healing but lacked mitigation cooldowns - they were often used as dedicated tank healers with some added/moved around for group healing depending on encounter phases

Cleric healers have 2 mitigation souls (one shields, one for tank linking), one high single target throughput soul, and one group healing soul with a variety of cooldowns - purifier, defiler, sentinel, and warden respectively (yes cleric healers were absurdly in demand)

Rogue Healers were overpowered on release because lol the guy who designed them (they were designed to do single target but they ended up doing everything)

SL raids were designed to be healed with one purifier, one defiler, a chloro or two, at least a warden, and maybe a sentinel on a couple of fights. Any heal spec can handle a 5 man expert.

As for DPS every class is designed to be able to do both ranged and melee dps at a competitive level.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 3, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So apparently even though the wardrobe system is pretty cool (I've seen better, having to actually keep extra gear around for looks is a little clunky, but I've also seen a lot worse) you can't actually change how your weapon/offhand looks? Lame. :mad:

Also they added in the ability to race switch, which is cool! I really want to be a Defiant Dwarf Mage (:black101:). Unfortunately it costs 2400 credit things to change race (and then you have to pay more to actually get a face you want instead of a random one). :negative:

Still playing around with mage builds, current fixation is a chloromentalist (chloro healing + elemental pet + lots of instant damage in a macro). :downs:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

WarLocke posted:

So apparently even though the wardrobe system is pretty cool (I've seen better, having to actually keep extra gear around for looks is a little clunky, but I've also seen a lot worse) you can't actually change how your weapon/offhand looks? Lame. :mad:

Also they added in the ability to race switch, which is cool! I really want to be a Defiant Dwarf Mage (:black101:). Unfortunately it costs 2400 credit things to change race (and then you have to pay more to actually get a face you want instead of a random one). :negative:

Still playing around with mage builds, current fixation is a chloromentalist (chloro healing + elemental pet + lots of instant damage in a macro). :downs:

You can switch your weapon appearance but you have to buy a transmog gem for it with Rfitbux, it's not freely done like the armor is.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I wanna try the chloroharbinger that people mentioned earlier in the thread, but still not sure if I wanna buy the souls packs. Plus it turns out I'm having a lot of fun as a bard too. What's the best rogue leveling spec? I had something called a "Magic Bullet" role that someone previously gave me a couple of years back, but no idea what it's supposed to be and google-fu fails me. I do have macros which indicate that one of my builds had riftstalker for mobility and bladedancer for melee damage/AE though.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Solo rogues tend to have lacking sustain, which is why dropping 4pts in Tactician (SL) for Curative Engine is just insanely efficient for any leveling build. Another thing you really want is the Planar Attunement life leech weapon enchant (death T2?) in at least your mainhand, it's a lot of self-healing per second.

I really like playing 61 Bladedancer, 11 Riftstalker, 4 Tactician which was a superb spec for SL leveling back when I last actually knew something about Rift, it worked quite admirably for NT also. I think a more conventional 51/21/4 is known as slightly worse damage and a lot better survivability, where my build's better DPS with more leeway in rhythmic action timings is personal preference. You have great AoE burst which only goes at full speed for 12 seconds out of 30, BD's biggest endgame weakness, but this is more than enough to AoE stuff down solo. There's a bunch of finesse and fine tuning to play the build well and you have a lot of buttons to press, which may or may not be a positive.

Many people swear on NB/RS/Tact which reportedly doesn't really work that well in the lower levels.

RS/Assasin is a safe, reliable Tactless build.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 4, 2015

Biskies
Jan 24, 2004

Instead of wanting to be an astronaut when I grew up, I wanted to play with guns.
My character is Omgwtfbees. I'll be asking for a ginvite in game, thanks! :)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I started over on the Guardian side because Reasons so if someone could toss an invite to Ehlianna I'd appreciate it.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Invites caught up.

I didn't know WoW had a flex-raid thing now. I suggested this to Rift game a while back. The major problem I had / saw continually with raiding was it was all exclusionary and detrimental to social aspects of MMO at every turn. Have 23 logged in, sorry 3 random people, we can't use you today. Already done that raid instance, sorry you can't make up the raid that is short one person, so 19 sit on their asses. Absolutely need X clerics for that instance, sorry mage/warrior/rogue you're over geared but we need a cleric because nothing else will do.

I like the idea of that no loot if you've done the instance or looted from a previous one. Its a good way to allow people to participate with the online buddies rather than keep them out.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Decairn posted:

I like the idea of that no loot if you've done the instance or looted from a previous one. Its a good way to allow people to participate with the online buddies rather than keep them out.

That's how WoW does it for their flex raiding, because who cares if you stack a roster with the best players to carry people through the easier content. Unfortunately, you will need different difficulty modes for that to really work.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So the 'Druidicar' setup is kind of ridiculous.

Druid gives you a 25% damage shield that's off the GCD, a bunch of instant-with-cooldown melee attacks for macroing, a teleport-behind-target ability, and a pet. Then you add some Justicar into the mix and suddenly all your attacks are healing you and you are generating Convictions that you can spend on more healing. The zero-point Sentinel soul I just have for the one instant heal.

You even get a spammable hammer spin for AOEing.

I did a couple rifts with Desync earlier and he claimed I was doing top DPS, just teleporting behind dudes and swinging a big hammer into their balls while my satyr friend said bad things about their mothers. :allears:

e: It's also stupid easy to play, it's only 5 buttons at my level (teleport, debuff, AoE, single-target macro, self-heal macro)

e2: Forum post with spec info, possibly outdated but it's not like I'm worrying about optimal raid DPS right now so whatever.

e3: Oh man apparently the Reparation talent in tier 2 Justicar allows your Salvation to also heal your pet? :aaa:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 6, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Please, clerics are way more broken than that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMIrM-pqpzk

That water is -supposed- to instantly kill you.

If you're playing a cleric you should just do whatever Ahov says to because at this point if he's stopped caring about minmaxing clerics in rift i can't imagine who still does. I hope Morek sees this and gets a good laugh but realistically that's where the top end of the game has been for months.

I miss you morek ole buddy

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 6, 2015

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I did a couple rifts with Desync earlier and he claimed I was doing top DPS, just teleporting behind dudes and swinging a big hammer into their balls while my satyr friend said bad things about their mothers. :allears:

Yeah on the waves with the big mobs you were topping charts, I thought it was funny since you were only 18 and only had a few skills.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

WarLocke posted:

e3: Oh man apparently the Reparation talent in tier 2 Justicar allows your Salvation to also heal your pet? :aaa:

This was a lie and now I'm sad.

e: The Rift forums aren't useful for general (non-level-cap) guides. Since I've done a few random dungeons with goons I figure I should probably figure out a healing setup so I don't have to use my dumb soloing spec as a random DPS. I guess I'll play around with Purifier/Sentinel/Warden in the morning. They're the big heal/shields/HoT souls right?

Also should probably come up with a pvp spec, guessing Inquisitor for ranged DPS there maybe.,..

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 7, 2015

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

WarLocke posted:

Too late, I'm onlready on Deepwood as Jhaele the Bahmi Mage. So far skeleton pet + DoTs/life leech + token squirrel CC seems to be working pretty well :unsmigghh:

very cool. i made the mistake of leveling up my cleric as a warden. i literally made it to level 50 before i got yelled at for leveling up as a "only useful in a 40 man raid" soul. also a good thing that i did 90% of that leveling in warfronts.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

WarLocke posted:

If Mechwarrior Online can have a goon revival, Rift sure as hell can. :colbert:

you should also start playing that with me!

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

WarLocke posted:

This was a lie and now I'm sad.

e: The Rift forums aren't useful for general (non-level-cap) guides. Since I've done a few random dungeons with goons I figure I should probably figure out a healing setup so I don't have to use my dumb soloing spec as a random DPS. I guess I'll play around with Purifier/Sentinel/Warden in the morning. They're the big heal/shields/HoT souls right?

Also should probably come up with a pvp spec, guessing Inquisitor for ranged DPS there maybe.,..

seriously go balls deep with inquisitor/ cabalist soul and a sentinel/ warden soul if you're playing cleric. eventually if you want to melee dps you do a shaman/ something build i think.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

liquidfire posted:

seriously go balls deep with inquisitor/ cabalist soul and a sentinel/ warden soul if you're playing cleric. eventually if you want to melee dps you do a shaman/ something build i think.

Yeah I tried Cabalist/Inquisitor/Justicar (0-point Justicar just for Salvation) a little tonight and it seems pretty freaking awesome. Gonna give it a real whirl in the morning.

I need to buy the Storm Legion souls so I can try Cabalist/Defiler/Justicar - crazy AOE, tank 'pet', all those reactive heals, AND heals based on outgoing damage? :getin:

Questions about transmogrification: Can you cross weapon types with it (ie, have a mace that looks like a sword)? Can you make a shield look like a totem offhand? I basically want shield stats with a cleric's one-handed mace but have it look like a blade and book. :science:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

As a Cleric I had a mace 'mogged to look like a sword, but I am not sure what the offhand restrictions are. I heard you can put a weapon graphic onto an offhand totem, to give the illusion of dual-wielding, but I haven't tried / don't know what the animations would look like.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

As a Cleric I had a mace 'mogged to look like a sword, but I am not sure what the offhand restrictions are. I heard you can put a weapon graphic onto an offhand totem, to give the illusion of dual-wielding, but I haven't tried / don't know what the animations would look like.

You can mog any one hander (including offhand/totem) into any other one hander although im not sure about shields. I dual wielded swords all the time

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hey the guild quest is done, somebody needs to turn it in or whatever so we can get another. :spergin:

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I thought it was set for everyone to turn in and get another now. The only thing you cant do is change the current quest.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Decairn posted:

I thought it was set for everyone to turn in and get another now. The only thing you cant do is change the current quest.

Oh where do you turn it in then? I found some guild quests in Sanctum but I was told only the leader coul accept them or something?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
So we're on Deepwood? Might have to come join the goony fun if things are getting active again.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Oh where do you turn it in then? I found some guild quests in Sanctum but I was told only the leader coul accept them or something?

There should be in a quest guy in the guild dimension somewhere.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

i will give trion a :bravo: for the questing content in the expansion. i went 60-65 without patron and finric is okay in my book. finric is like a shark dog.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rianeva posted:

There should be in a quest guy in the guild dimension somewhere.

Guild... dimension... ? :iiam:

e: Bought the Storm legion soul pack tonight. The Defiler pet... thing... seems almost like cheating, jesus.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 10, 2015

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Guild... dimension... ? :iiam:

Quite honestly one of the best dimensions in the game. Go take a ride on the slide!

EliteNewbie
Jun 11, 2003
I've been playing this a bit recently, would like to join the goon guild for some fun times. IGN: Elitenewbie

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I played like 20 minutes of Nightmare Tide and uninstalled out of general boredom, should I give it another go?

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

Deki posted:

I played like 20 minutes of Nightmare Tide and uninstalled out of general boredom, should I give it another go?

nah. read a bunch of books and try to work more hours before spring starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Don't exploit in Rift, or you might have to... publicly apologize! :downs:

• Locked thread