Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

So you're saying don't bother downloading that torrent?

edit: yep confirming that torrent has malware

Yeah, the stickied thread marked "Call of Warhammer 1.5 torrent" is the one people are complaining about being compromised. No idea why its still stickied on TWC.

"RoDG 1.5 easy and pain free installation" is the one that worked for me.

I'm actually fairly impressed with this mod. Decent models, piles of units, voices in the campaign and battle map (of varying quality. I'm assuming they ripped some from other games?).

Then again the last MTW 2 mod I played was the one with Cookie Monster fighting Predator so the bar ain't exactly high.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
Are there any decent tutorials on how to actually play and control the Total War games in combat? I totally understand the thought behind strategies like hammer and anvil, keeping archers in front and having them move back when enemies charge, etc. It's actually getting the game and units to not play like molasses that kills me. I've tried Midieval 2 (including the LOTR and Hyrule mods), Napoleon, Rome 1 and 2, and Shogun 2 and everything just seems to fall apart into huge globs of units where nothing matters in practice. It takes like 10 seconds for any unit to react to my orders, half the time they won't (can't?) retreat if they're in melee with even a single other enemy unit on the edge of a fight, and I swear half the time my archers or siege weapons won't fire even though they have ammo, seemingly have a clear shot at the target, and I'll wait 30+ seconds.

In my latest attempt to play, I've started the different tutorials for the vanilla Shogun 2 game. I get my army massacred in the advanced siege battle because I have no idea how to engage the enemy. The siege units are so inaccurate they're worthless, the cavalry do nothing because it's a castle, if I try and scale the walls in a single area I get massacred and I can't even gain a foothold if I spread them out, and the ninja seems pointless because it dies as soon as I capture a single tower or entry point on the map. Likewise in the basic naval battle, it tells me to try and board with my heavy bune... But it is literally being kited around by every ship, even when they're seemingly running aground on the beaches.

If nothing else the games are neat for filling every army slot up with as many soldiers as possible and watching tens of thousands of people fight, but I can't actually play the game and I haven't found and decent videos or forum topics here or elsewhere to actually help. Maybe the games just aren't for me?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ederick posted:

Are there any decent tutorials on how to actually play and control the Total War games in combat? I totally understand the thought behind strategies like hammer and anvil, keeping archers in front and having them move back when enemies charge, etc. It's actually getting the game and units to not play like molasses that kills me. I've tried Midieval 2 (including the LOTR and Hyrule mods), Napoleon, Rome 1 and 2, and Shogun 2 and everything just seems to fall apart into huge globs of units where nothing matters in practice. It takes like 10 seconds for any unit to react to my orders, half the time they won't (can't?) retreat if they're in melee with even a single other enemy unit on the edge of a fight, and I swear half the time my archers or siege weapons won't fire even though they have ammo, seemingly have a clear shot at the target, and I'll wait 30+ seconds.

Can your computer actually run the game? Units should react within a second, especially in the newer games.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ederick posted:

In my latest attempt to play, I've started the different tutorials for the vanilla Shogun 2 game. I get my army massacred in the advanced siege battle because I have no idea how to engage the enemy. The siege units are so inaccurate they're worthless, the cavalry do nothing because it's a castle, if I try and scale the walls in a single area I get massacred and I can't even gain a foothold if I spread them out, and the ninja seems pointless because it dies as soon as I capture a single tower or entry point on the map.

I find it very helpful to watch people play a game that I'm trying to learn. Have you checked out Youtube or Twitch videos of the games that interest you (ie a shogun 2 vanilla LP)? It gives you a really good idea of how people organize their units, where they position them, when they issue orders, and what they might be doing differently than you in general. Then you can try some of the stuff you see them do and is working for them.

If you're asking for pointers, lots of folks seem to watch heirofcarthage, he plays Tokugawa in Shogun 2 vanilla here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQVodJKAkI0

As for the tutorial, are you targeting the castle gates with the siege weapons? While they can be inaccurate at hitting units, generally they can breach 2-3 gates before running out of ammo, which is mainly what you use them for. The other thing they are great for is knocking down arrow towers that would otherwise shoot up your guys.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Aaand there's the secret. Cavalry is usually useless on siege offense in Shogun 2, and siege units are totally pointless in that game (except for Fall of the Samurai, and they're the best).
Send your units to burn down the gate, and head in that way.

And your units shouldn't be that slow, but think of positioning your units as setting the course for the battle, and making small adjustments along the way. The big part of is is putting everyone in a place, so they can charge in and do their thing when needed. Put a couple of real tough killers on the end of a line so they can break the enemy and wrap your line around.

And if your archers aren't firing, it's possible that you have them on skirmish mode, which makes them attempt to run away and create distance between enemy units. In theory, your archers would run away from a melee unit firing potshots and kiting them across the map. In practice? You're better off just parking them behind your melee units and having them focus fire on things you can kill (other archers, cavalry, units with low armor). They also like to be totally formed up and ready before they fire, which might explain some of the delay ("Hold on guys, Carl dropped his arrow. Let's wait until we're all ready and fire at the same time, it will look awesome!")

Look up how to use "guard mode" too (in the pre-Rome 2 games)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The vanilla Shogun 2 siege tutorial is essentially worthless and exists solely to show off the new features like capture points, hero units, artillery, ninja units, etc. You actually want to vastly outnumber your enemy to assault a castle. And you'll usually only fight ones that have 2 or 3 tiers at best most of the time.

You can literally quit the mission and it will reward you with a victory there, so don't feel too bad the game gave you the wrong poo poo to attack a fortification with.

I would recommend you just jump into the campaign with an easy start clan like Shimazu or Chosokabe. They even have someone you're at war with to start off so you can take a turn or two and make your army bigger and then attack. Or just attack.

Guard mode mostly fixes units snagging on another by changing their behaviour, but disengaging is always risky because your men won't be in combat while theirs are. You just have to spam move orders to get them moving somewhere and trying to get them to ignore combat, that's just the fact of it for most of us. It's been like that since as far back as I can remember.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

alex314 posted:

Yes. It has it's problems, but I really like the movie. Scenography is beautiful, and compared to other Japanese movies battles have amazing scale. Battles had up to 800 horses and up to 3000 extras. I guess only this one and the one with Tom Cruise have Total War sized battles in them.

If I remember right, this movie has the record for the largest ever cavalry charge put to film with only live action horses.

I want some more old fashioned war epics like these being made. Just go into Russia and hire out 14000 reserve soldiers to reenact Waterloo like the Christopher Plummer movie.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sober posted:

The vanilla Shogun 2 siege tutorial is essentially worthless and exists solely to show off the new features like capture points, hero units, artillery, ninja units, etc. You actually want to vastly outnumber your enemy to assault a castle. And you'll usually only fight ones that have 2 or 3 tiers at best most of the time.

It's been a while since I've played S2 but I remember archers being crazy effective against units in castles. Just position them so they aren't in range of any tower and they will slaughter anyone foolish enough to go into their range with their deadly ballistic arrows of doom! It's crazy archers have same range despite different shot trajectories. Even when your archers duel enemy archers that have walls and roof above their heads your archers aren't that bad off, since you can focus couple units on one enemy one.
It was really annoying in S2 - defending fortifications against enemy that had only 33% more soldiers was tiresome. Of course AI quirks could go any way, some battles were one sided slaughters, while others (thanks to wall scaling ability of every units) were massive bloodbaths..

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Ederick posted:

Units shouldn't be taking more than a second to respond unless they are already engaged (such as in combat). They can mill around a bit when you order units in blocks though, depending on exactly what sort of move order you have given (like rotating a line 90 degrees).

If your units are in melee, you will need to use the run command (double click move order) to get them out and often use it multiple times to slowly disengage the unit. Note that this will substantially increase the casualties you take and if the unit is heavily committed it is basically impossible without decimating the unit. This is by design, but as Sober said, it can be annoying as hell.

Quirks with archers? I've got a post for you here.

Ederick posted:

In my latest attempt to play, I've started the different tutorials for the vanilla Shogun 2 game. I get my army massacred in the advanced siege battle because I have no idea how to engage the enemy. The siege units are so inaccurate they're worthless, the cavalry do nothing because it's a castle, if I try and scale the walls in a single area I get massacred and I can't even gain a foothold if I spread them out, and the ninja seems pointless because it dies as soon as I capture a single tower or entry point on the map. Likewise in the basic naval battle, it tells me to try and board with my heavy bune... But it is literally being kited around by every ship, even when they're seemingly running aground on the beaches.

The siege and naval tutorial are incredibly bad to the point of being completely worthless. You are attacking a Citadel which is higher than anything you will encounter for 95% of the game. Most of the fortifications you need to take are literally a stone wall around a single courtyard. In addition, it has capturable buildings which literally don't exist in single player. Don't worry about not being able to do the siege tutorial successfully, you have an army that you will literally never field and should never field.

In Shogun 2 vanilla, you literally should never build or use siege weapons. They are completely superfluous and amazingly bad at siege. Cavalry, based on mobility and morale shock are, unsurprisingly, not great when attacking a fixed position with defenders who fight until the death.

For taking fortifications, you should burn down gatehouses and push through there and along the walls once the enemy is engaged with your forces. Your objective is to try to open a gatehouse and get the rest of your army in. It can be worthwhile hitting along multiple fronts to achieve this, but the general idea is to try to give your units unrestricted access into the fortification. Try to think of it like a puzzle. Remember that units climbing walls will lose ~7.5% of their total numbers for every concourse of height they have to climb. Tall walls can be pretty suicidal for this reason.

Ninja are a tricky unit to use because they are really designed to do "lock the gate" style attacks where you lure the enemy out and then shut them out of their own central keep. Ninja don't take losses climbing walls, can climb twice as fast and have stealth on a cool-down. They are fun, but don't feel bad about not being able to make them work, they are super niche.

Naval units get a lot easier to understand once you realise that you need to use lighter, faster ships to box in the enemy for your heavier ships to board rather than just saying "Heavy Bune, board that ship!", since the AI is very good at working out it can just run away. Heavier ships have a pretty heavy ranged compliment, so there is no need to rush to board. Do things like keeping your admiral behind your heavier ships to force enemies to either come close to your heavies to take out your admiral or to leave you with the benefit of your admiral for the entire fight. Remember that you can board with a lighter ship to delay the enemy while your big ship comes online and then cancel the boarding on the light ship and boarding with the heavy ship as well. Think of naval fighting in Shogun 2 like you think of land fighting. You wouldn't give a heavy infantry unit an order to engage a bow cavalry unit and then get frustrated when they could never engage. Once you learn the ships it will all make more sense. The basic ships are super easy to get to grips with as well.

Ederick posted:

If nothing else the games are neat for filling every army slot up with as many soldiers as possible and watching tens of thousands of people fight, but I can't actually play the game and I haven't found and decent videos or forum topics here or elsewhere to actually help. Maybe the games just aren't for me?

Well, this thread is a pretty good resource for learning how to play, but I also have an LP running that has, if nothing else, a whole bunch of battle videos of land and sea for you to cut your teeth on and hopefully help everything click. You can find it here.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I loved really a lot Shougun 2. Played too much i guess, so i cannot stand it anymore. However Empire never caught my eyes.

For Rome 2, i started by hating it because of the bugs. Several patch later, and several mods later, i'm just loving it. As now is my favourite

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Ederick posted:

I feel like I'm in the same place as you are. This game has been difficult for me, because the controls are unlike any other game I've ever played. For instance, I never realized that when you single click an attack order it causes the unit to walk towards the target, and only charges when it's close enough (you have to double click the attack order to get it to charge from the get go). One thing that has been helping me a lot is that Heir of Carthage has recently been releasing a beginner's guide that goes through all the basic battle controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4VGZNERflE

He recently released a third part of the guide, so I haven't watched it yet, but the first two parts were amazingly detailed and helpful. I would recommend to check it out if you are having trouble with controlling your units.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do I win an economic victory? By the time I'm anywhere near large enough to have the required settlements, everybody hates me and not even my client states want to trade with me for 50k+, do I need to be playing a satrapy creating faction?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ederick posted:

One thing that might be useful for managing your dudes is using unit groups (default key G). For example, you can select all your archers, press G, and they will become unit group 1. You can press 1 and that group will be selected all at once, and when you give them a move order they will remain in formation. When I play in large battles, I like to have all my archers in group 1, my left flank in group 2, center in group 3, right flank in group 4, and then cavalry and special units just sort of hang out. This will allow you to move large elements of your army and easily reposition them while maintaining formation.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

A couple of years ago I was you guys. Then I was browsing the LP forum one day when some jerk named shalcar made a Shogun 2 LP and taught me how to play the game. Seriously that thread was all I needed, the other thing being practice. Battle has its flow and it's not very micro intensive. The key is selecting and placing your units in the beginning, then marching them to the fight with only minor adjustments to respond to enemy movements. A basic starter engagement has you with 2 ashigaru units up front, they're your anvil. Behind them, archers, behind that, commander. To the side of the ashi and a bit behind, a katana unit. You move forward, engage the front line with your ashigaru (charging if youre downhill, packed up tight spears up formation if cavalry charged, etc), while bringing the sword unit around the unit the ashigaru are engaging with your general behind on your strong side as the archers soften the enemy up. More units bring up more tactics, but most battles will be a variation on this. 80 percent of the fight is army formation and composition. As you've seen, when 2 units are fighting, it's hard to get them to move unless you retreat them, so you must commit to your line, as it breaking usually spells trouble. There's no substitute for experience however, it took me quite a few starts before i won my first game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asehujiko posted:

How do I win an economic victory? By the time I'm anywhere near large enough to have the required settlements, everybody hates me and not even my client states want to trade with me for 50k+, do I need to be playing a satrapy creating faction?

In Rome 2?

You basically achieve the military victory but delete just enough ships so you won't trigger the win and then you try to complete whatever absurd parameters the cultural and economic victories order you to do.

It's kinda stupid how your vassals don't get a relations improvment after beign vassalised. Instead of being useful tools for your expansion and trade they just become passive-agressive neighbours.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Well, given that it's currently hotter than Satan's arsehole down here at the moment and it's giving me a cracking case of writer's block for the LP, I figured I would create some basic videos for playing Shogun 2, both in battle and campaign map.

For those of you that have questions about playing the game, what would you like to see answered? It can be as specific or as generic as you like. What areas are causing you the most confusion and what sort of answers were you hoping for?

I'm positive that if you have questions, then other people reading my LP will be having those same questions, so it would help improve the quality as well as generate some additional content for everyone.

A few examples of things you might want to see could be: Basic battle commands (what double clicking does, how to withdraw a unit from a fight, the basics of the charge mechanic), more advanced topics (moving a force with cohesion, deploying a force that is combat effective, switching deployment styles based on battlefield condition etc.), unit matchups, campaign basics, province building basics etc?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I've never really understood the exact effects of charge as a stat. I'll improve it on cavalry and nodachi as much as possible, just because that seems like something to do, but haven't really explored or thought about it mechanically in terms of "does this cap out effectiveness at some number" or "would improving melee damage in general make the charges even better" and such. I think I've also seen people float building your charge units in armor blacksmith provinces instead of weapon or charge since the idea, as I remember it, is that having more of the unit last through the charge and into the next one is overall better than improving any singular charge. But, even with all this theory, I've yet to see a video comparing the effects of all of them.

Basically, stat stuff. Also, a video explaining what the preferred button presses/action sequences for different things are would help a ton, I'd think, especially in respect to charges. Oh and something that took me months of play to learn: you can drag your bow/gun units out along the castle walls.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Decus posted:

I've never really understood the exact effects of charge as a stat. I'll improve it on cavalry and nodachi as much as possible, just because that seems like something to do, but haven't really explored or thought about it mechanically in terms of "does this cap out effectiveness at some number" or "would improving melee damage in general make the charges even better" and such. I think I've also seen people float building your charge units in armor blacksmith provinces instead of weapon or charge since the idea, as I remember it, is that having more of the unit last through the charge and into the next one is overall better than improving any singular charge. But, even with all this theory, I've yet to see a video comparing the effects of all of them.

Its really up for debate. If you're using no dachi, you are really meant to use them kind of like cav that can survive in melee for a little bit longer. Get them on a flank and charge into an enemy that's engaged. Break off once they hit and let them catch their breath. Do it again. Repeat.

They're also fantastic for engaging units that have already been worn down by archers, as the first charge will likely rout them. I always up the charge stat, seems to get a few more kills upon a charge. They can replenish after the battle.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
A couple months ago I stopped playing Total War, which is to say M2, the only game in the series I've tried. It had to do with the fact that, being Egypt I spent a lot of time doing nothing, and I also recruited several units the use of which either inevitably lowered my leader's reputation or got the unit killed. Then I took a look at the British expansion, and the lack of religious discrimination was at first appreciated, but I soon found nationalism even more taxing on my modern mind. Which made me think. Why don't this kind of games give you the option to be what you actually are - a time traveler (at least in thought). Sure, players can pretend that they live among these bigots, or even treat it all like a game of numbers. Still, I can't help feeling a bit limited by not being able to use my main advantage - lack of dumb hateful opinions and prejudices.

Anyway, my guess is that I could restart the Egypt campaign and there wouldn't really be any problems without assassins as long as I stay on easy difficulty? I'd enjoy also not having to recruit diplomats, but I understand that's an option that became viable (if I may put it like that) only in later titles.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Play Shogun 2, especially Rise of the Samurai. Everyone has the same religion, no outside influences, etc..

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

supermikhail posted:

A couple months ago I stopped playing Total War, which is to say M2, the only game in the series I've tried. It had to do with the fact that, being Egypt I spent a lot of time doing nothing, and I also recruited several units the use of which either inevitably lowered my leader's reputation or got the unit killed. Then I took a look at the British expansion, and the lack of religious discrimination was at first appreciated, but I soon found nationalism even more taxing on my modern mind. Which made me think. Why don't this kind of games give you the option to be what you actually are - a time traveler (at least in thought). Sure, players can pretend that they live among these bigots, or even treat it all like a game of numbers. Still, I can't help feeling a bit limited by not being able to use my main advantage - lack of dumb hateful opinions and prejudices.

Anyway, my guess is that I could restart the Egypt campaign and there wouldn't really be any problems without assassins as long as I stay on easy difficulty? I'd enjoy also not having to recruit diplomats, but I understand that's an option that became viable (if I may put it like that) only in later titles.

Game takes place in the Middle Ages, it's not going to be some liberal cosmopolitan paradise.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The point of the series is literally total war.

Your main advantage isn't that you're a 21st century progressive person, it's that you know about Alexander, Cesar, Khalid Walid, Mehmed II and Napoleon and you want them to blush at how powerful you are :colbert:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

That has to be the weirdest criticism of a total war game I've ever read and I've been occasionally reading TWC since like 2008

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I wouldn't even call it a criticism exactly. I understand that it makes historical sense for a historical game to be set up like that. What's real is that I felt rather uncomfortable when I first booted up Britannia, because of the way nationality (or whatever it's called) replaces religion. I guess it's a bit of a tangent towards my idea of a game which would take full advantage of the player's time-traveler status. :allears:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm a normal guy from a multicultural area and I still play strategy games like Hitler II

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
As a way of further clarification, I'd like to testify that I don't think Total War is the devil's device to destroy our youth, pervert our morals, and bring about the end of the world.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait for Attila and spreading the holy word of Father Sky Tengri to the degenerate stone tent dwellers.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

supermikhail posted:

I wouldn't even call it a criticism exactly. I understand that it makes historical sense for a historical game to be set up like that. What's real is that I felt rather uncomfortable when I first booted up Britannia, because of the way nationality (or whatever it's called) replaces religion. I guess it's a bit of a tangent towards my idea of a game which would take full advantage of the player's time-traveler status. :allears:

Well it's not just that it's historical it's that it's not a nation building simulation, it's a battle simulation - the larger strategy game on top provides context for those battles and can be fun in it's own right but really the game isn't about developing a civilization so any comparative lack of hatefulness you might have compared to medieval rulers is kind of irrelevant to what the game is about.

There are certainly other historical strategy games where you can develop a peaceful and tolerant trader nation or whatever, but that's kind of out of place in Total War.

Also keep in mind if you were a time traveller and went back to medieval France and told everyone they should just be friends with the Muslims and to stop burning heretics and vote for their rulers so on, they'd probably just call you a witch and murder you on the spot.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 9, 2015

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I'd suggest EU4 of CK2 theres plenty of countries where you can play the diplo/trading game. But yea, Total War is about gobbling up your neighbor. Feeling morally superior to the AI in the total war games seems really awesome and I wish I was capable of it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I'd suggest EU4 of CK2 theres plenty of countries where you can play the diplo/trading game. But yea, Total War is about gobbling up your neighbor. Feeling morally superior to the AI in the total war games seems really awesome and I wish I was capable of it.

CK2 is pretty murder oriented even if you are in a trading republic. EU4 can definitely be pretty peaceful but depending on what part of the world you are in you can still easily get dragged into some nasty conflicts. But if you really want to spend time finding the best ideology for the people of your country and making your economy work and avoiding war and generally trying to be a modern enlightened ruler and all that, I'd go with Vicky2.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
The civilization games have plenty of non military options too.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, yeah. Some dissonance here, I guess. :downs: I'm totally for fightin and conquerin, but religious and ethnic intolerance doesn't stand with me. Murder the man in the city over there but murder him as an equal, capable of the same feelings and deserving of the same rights as you! :downs:

I reckon instant battles and such are about as much fun, and also provide means to avoid blind hipocricy?

Earwicker posted:

Also keep in mind if you were a time traveller and went back to medieval France and told everyone they should just be friends with the Muslims and to stop burning heretics and vote for their rulers so on, they'd probably just call you a witch and murder you on the spot.

Well, if I don't look like a complete idiot here yet, I was thinking more if you were put straight onto the ruling stool, or the regular strategy situation of a force of nature guiding rulers. I mean, it's not like your population always loves you anyway, so you probably could get away with a bit of top-down tolerance.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

supermikhail posted:

Well, if I don't look like a complete idiot here yet, I was thinking more if you were put straight onto the ruling stool, or the regular strategy situation of a force of nature guiding rulers. I mean, it's not like your population always loves you anyway, so you probably could get away with a bit of top-down tolerance.

Rulers of medieval states still often had to obey religious authorities, and refusing to deal with the heretics in your backyard or join up on the march to retake lands from the infidel is going to look pretty suspicious and turn your vassals against you pretty quick. Even if you were the Pope, trying to start imposing modern social values out of nowhere would most likely result in a very popular new Antipope coming into power and poison in your next breakfast.

Plus in a society where rulers inherited their position by birth, completely insane people coming into power was more common and could be dealt with before their insanity spread to the entire country - and that's probably how you'd come across.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 9, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

The French wouldn't lose much sleep over befriending Muslims, seeing how tight relations were between France and Ottomans :v:

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait for Attila and spreading the holy word of Father Sky Tengri to the degenerate stone tent dwellers.
Even better, burn every single settlement in the game to ashes and destroy every single tribe in existance.

Attila will allow you to go on a genocidal rampage and allow you to kill literally every single living human that isn't your tribe.

You can go super-Hitler.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh! That reminds me, what's the timeframe for Attila? It's not going to run into the 7th century, is it?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mans posted:

The French wouldn't lose much sleep over befriending Muslims, seeing how tight relations were between France and Ottomans :v:

I was referring to the medieval period, during the time of the Crusades and when the Song of Roland was still popular etc. The Franco-Ottoman alliance didn't start until the 16th century

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh! That reminds me, what's the timeframe for Attila? It's not going to run into the 7th century, is it?

Nope it's all 6th as far as I know

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Attila starts ca. 395CE and goes for about 70-75 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

I was referring to the medieval period, during the time of the Crusades and when the Song of Roland was still popular etc. The Franco-Ottoman alliance didn't start until the 16th century

Ah fair enough, we were talking about Medieval 2 so my bad.

supermikhail posted:

Oh, yeah. Some dissonance here, I guess. :downs: I'm totally for fightin and conquerin, but religious and ethnic intolerance doesn't stand with me. Murder the man in the city over there but murder him as an equal, capable of the same feelings and deserving of the same rights as you! :downs:

I reckon instant battles and such are about as much fun, and also provide means to avoid blind hipocricy?

But you're still beating the snot out of them because they're in your way. The cultural or religious changes are secondary events.

Just pretend people are converting to your culture because you're such a good king. Run low taxes on all cities and build brothels on all of them. Let your family members in said brothel infested low taxed cities so they develop traits that turn them into drunken fratboys who just care about having fun with the commoners.

Peace through superior alcohol and booze.