Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

larchesdanrew posted:

TLDR; I think I turned my World of Warcraft character into an NPC.

I got the nostalgia bug and ended up running my own private World of Warcraft server. I was tooling around using GM fuckery to run back through old raids and dungeons, seeing which of the old vanilla raids could be soloed. They designed a lot of raid instances to take full advantage of 25/40 people, but nothing was causing me much of an issue until I got to Chromaggus in Blackwing Lair.

For those who don't play or never experienced this joy of a boss, he randomly places one of five debuffs on a random person every few seconds. Pain in the rear end enough since there was only me and I was catching the full brunt of it, but apparently if you get all five debuffs on you at once you are mutated into an enemy unit and turn on your group. Since there was no group, my character just automatically ran and stood beside the boss until the debuff wore out and the fight started all over again.

This is where it gets weird. Enemies are generally "tethered" in that they have a predetermined distance from where they stand in which they will follow you. If you take them outside of that area, they immediately turn around and run back to where they were and forget all about you.

Since my character was technically turned into an enemy unit, the game decided that I was forever to be an autonomous hero that abides by NPC rules. What I mean by that is that I was, and still am, tethered to stand beside Chromaggus. Forever. If I try to leave the room, I lose control of my character and he immediately runs back to resume his stance beside the now dead boss.

This tethering is not limited to being inside the instanced dungeon either. If I teleport to any area in the world, my character will immediately begin hoofing it back to where it thinks Chromaggus is, even walking through walls, trees, mountains, the ocean, etc.. to get there.

Logging out didn't fix it, reinstalling he game didn't help. My character is cursed to forever be an NPC with dreams of being a hero.

How do you go about setting something like this up? The appeal of WoW for me has always been the world exploration, and trying to peek under the hood and find all the hidden nooks and crannies of Azeroth. I've always wanted to be able to run some sort of private god-mode server on Vanilla WoW so I can just explore without needing to find a raid group of 40 fully-levelled characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

TLDR; I think I turned my World of Warcraft character into an NPC.

I got the nostalgia bug and ended up running my own private World of Warcraft server. I was tooling around using GM fuckery to run back through old raids and dungeons, seeing which of the old vanilla raids could be soloed. They designed a lot of raid instances to take full advantage of 25/40 people, but nothing was causing me much of an issue until I got to Chromaggus in Blackwing Lair.

For those who don't play or never experienced this joy of a boss, he randomly places one of five debuffs on a random person every few seconds. Pain in the rear end enough since there was only me and I was catching the full brunt of it, but apparently if you get all five debuffs on you at once you are mutated into an enemy unit and turn on your group. Since there was no group, my character just automatically ran and stood beside the boss until the debuff wore out and the fight started all over again.

This is where it gets weird. Enemies are generally "tethered" in that they have a predetermined distance from where they stand in which they will follow you. If you take them outside of that area, they immediately turn around and run back to where they were and forget all about you.

Since my character was technically turned into an enemy unit, the game decided that I was forever to be an autonomous hero that abides by NPC rules. What I mean by that is that I was, and still am, tethered to stand beside Chromaggus. Forever. If I try to leave the room, I lose control of my character and he immediately runs back to resume his stance beside the now dead boss.

This tethering is not limited to being inside the instanced dungeon either. If I teleport to any area in the world, my character will immediately begin hoofing it back to where it thinks Chromaggus is, even walking through walls, trees, mountains, the ocean, etc.. to get there.

Logging out didn't fix it, reinstalling he game didn't help. My character is cursed to forever be an NPC with dreams of being a hero.

As their very last act before scuttling the live servers, Blizzard needs to do this to everyone :allears:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MiketheGreat posted:

How do you go about setting something like this up? The appeal of WoW for me has always been the world exploration, and trying to peek under the hood and find all the hidden nooks and crannies of Azeroth. I've always wanted to be able to run some sort of private god-mode server on Vanilla WoW so I can just explore without needing to find a raid group of 40 fully-levelled characters.

A bunch of googling and trial and error, mostly. I ended up running a WotLK server which I'm sort of unhappy with. I'd rather be running Cataclysm, but the search for an actual client is difficult. There's guides all over, but shoot me a PM and I'll share what worked for me because some of it is :filez: territory.

HappyKitty posted:

As their very last act before scuttling the live servers, Blizzard needs to do this to everyone :allears:

I was always a fan of that one superhero MMO where, when the servers shut down, everyone still logged in contorted and their heads went flying up their own butts. The last sight anyone saw from a gameplay perspective was a "Connecting..." window and a sea of heads up butts in the background.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal

larchesdanrew posted:

I was always a fan of that one superhero MMO where, when the servers shut down, everyone still logged in contorted and their heads went flying up their own butts. The last sight anyone saw from a gameplay perspective was a "Connecting..." window and a sea of heads up butts in the background.

it was The Matrix Online

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Does your character start running immediately or is there a chance that someone else could kite you to Saurfang or Bolvar? :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Battlefield 2142 had some extraordinary glitches and goofy physics too, until it got patched to hell and back and sanitized down to a shadow of what it could have been. I'll never understand why features like Titan movement and guided ejection pods were outright removed.

You could always control where your pod flew when you launched yourself out of an APC or a titan, although maybe the physics for it were changed early on to stop pod surfing*, I dunno.

Maybe it was outright removed in the one patch that happened after I stopped playing, but titan movement was already disabled on almost every single server I played on because it was bad. It completely lagged the servers and made fighting on the titans themselves even more laggy and janky. You think rubberbanding is fun, you have to experience it when your entire battlefield is in motion so everything is rubberbanding or randomly falling through the floor. And while it increased the spectacle of titan games because you had these 2 flying turbo carriers in the middle of the map raining fire on their missile silos to protect them, it also made them kind of unfun to play if you actually wanted to play the objective and capture missile silos instead of just chilling on your titan clicking on the ground.

Keeping titans from moving also worked just fine for game balance, because there was always that tradeoff between just holding onto missile silos to win a slow but steady victory or going in for the kill by destroying the titan itself. When the enemy titan would only ever be above their base, you had to go a long distance from the missile silos and your own titan, risking losing the silos or having your own titan get destroyed. Titan mode was glitchy but it's the only thing battlefield's ever done that beats Conquest mode. Great use of 2142's setting too.

*If it hasn't been posted about yet, battlefield 2142 had these little pods you could launch yourself in as an infantry. If you spawned from a beacon you would drop in from space(?) on one of these kickass space pods, and you could launch yourself out of APCs in these pods to get around the map, get on top of buildings, land on a titan (a giant flying aircraft carrier thing), etc. When the game launched there was a bug where you could actually move around in just the right way to make the pod fly in any direction while in midair, instead of following a parabolic arc. People used this to fly all over the entire maps as infantry and generally do things they were never meant to do. So these little pods would just zipping around in the air, slamming into gunships to destroy them and generally breaking the game.

It was patched before I started playing so it's another one of those great Battlefield Bugs I never got to experience, but the stories about it were wonderful.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

It was posted in this thread, but I cant be arsed to look through all 76 pages...

There was a WWF (WWE? I don't follow wrestling) game where a character was just all "peace out", ran off screen, and the camera followed him through the nosebleeds seats and then into space for about 10 minutes. The IRL guys playing it were losing their poo poo. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and more importantly, does anyone have a link? I have no idea what to search for.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

It was posted in this thread, but I cant be arsed to look through all 76 pages...

There was a WWF (WWE? I don't follow wrestling) game where a character was just all "peace out", ran off screen, and the camera followed him through the nosebleeds seats and then into space for about 10 minutes. The IRL guys playing it were losing their poo poo. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and more importantly, does anyone have a link? I have no idea what to search for.

I totally remember this, but I'm not sure exactly what video it is because those games are busted and stuff like that happens a lot.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Think it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MiketheGreat posted:

If you level a single character up past the level that any given piece of content was designed for, you can solo any and all "old" content quite easily, which means you can explore to your hearts content. I don't even have a max level character yet, and I can waltz into hard-mode old dungeons and practically one-shot everything including the bosses.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Because they didn't work and crashed the servers and lagged them to poo poo.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Maybe it was outright removed in the one patch that happened after I stopped playing, but titan movement was already disabled on almost every single server I played on because it was bad. It completely lagged the servers and made fighting on the titans themselves even more laggy and janky.

Titan movement had a ton of problems and I completely get why it was patched; I remember Titan rounds ending in like 90 seconds because someone managed to crash the Titans together in such a way as to let people spawn in the enemy core and blow it the gently caress up. What I don't get is why it was patched out. Surely it would have been feasible to compromise by giving each team a handful of Titan waypoints to allow repositioning the artillery and spawn points, and make the movement a fixed part of the map design? In any case, I definitely don't miss the lag. I was just disappointed to see the awesome floating mobile death fortresses change into basically futuristic bunkers that somebody accidentally built in the sky.

Pod surfing was patched out, and honestly with good reason. But you could still kind of guide the directional movement of your pod within its arc, and my friend and I used to use that to plant it directly on top of people and kill them, or slam ejection pods into enemy gunships and blow them up. Then pod control got nerfed right to hell and you basically moved in a straight line to the ground from orbital drops and gunship ejections, and the APC launches were along a very narrow arc with very little control over where you ended up, meaning the APC driver had to fiddle around finding the perfect place and angle to park before anyone could launch to the enemy Titan or whatever. Of the two mechanics, "being able to control where your pod goes to any extent at all" is the one I miss most. Mainly because my buddy and I had a stunt where we'd jump in the gunship and never use the guns, instead using a practiced dive-bombing move to obliterate enemy aircraft with one person's ejection pod while the other swooped the gunship down to catch them as they fell and repeat the process. That made people pretty loving mad and was probably unintended behaviour, but gently caress it, it was more challenging and more stylish than just lighting everyone up with the ship's weapons :v:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Did they patch out titan movement completely? I only remember them changing it to stop the titan after it's shields went down, but I haven't played it in a long time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Disgusting Coward posted:

They need to just remake 1942 with slightly better graphics/menus and the exact same shoddy engine.

I think BF1943 will be the last good Battlefield.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

We need a Bad Company 3 asap

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Babe Magnet posted:

We need a Bad Company 3 asap

We need Bad Company 2142 asap

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bad Company: Hard Line

Watcha gonna do when they come for you

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, they said there would be a campaign in Hardline. Maybe you're playing a cop out to stop a certain group of ex-military types who are trying to offload some gold to foreign cartels.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, they said there would be a campaign in Hardline. Maybe you're playing a cop out to stop a certain group of ex-military types who are trying to offload some gold to foreign cartels.

Don't get my hopes up man just imagine pursuing a car blasting 50 cent and you look over and its loving B company goddamnit.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Haruharuharuko posted:

Don't get my hopes up man just imagine pursuing a car blasting 50 cent and you look over and its loving B company goddamnit.

i played that game for like 100 hours and I couldn't even tell you what they sounded or looked like. Campinas are not their strong suite.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Haha, yes, thank you! I forgot about the floating people with no seats. Magical.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The best part

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Babe Magnet posted:

Bad Company: Hard Line

Bad Rats Company

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Alien Arcana posted:

Bad Rats Company
Bad Company Hardline : The Pig's Revenge

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This isnt a glitch, its just a feature of Goonmod that is loving hilarious

http://gfycat.com/UntidyNeatGalapagosmockingbird

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHm0S4aWfGk

This happened while I was recording a Dead Space 2 thing.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Basticle posted:

This isnt a glitch, its just a feature of Goonmod that is loving hilarious

http://gfycat.com/UntidyNeatGalapagosmockingbird

How do you make them fall like that? I need that.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Kikas posted:

How do you make them fall like that? I need that.

I was just turning the mutator on and off and edited out the frames while in the menu. Because its in offline mode going into the menu pauses the game so :v:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

CJacobs posted:

Perfection.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Sin Cara is having some issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYBUdIUEzxQ

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Not quite a glitch there. It's just story mode creator but with nobody filling the part of the dude beating up Sin Cara.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Testekill posted:

Not quite a glitch there. It's just story mode creator but with nobody filling the part of the dude beating up Sin Cara.

Presumably that very lack of another dude is the glitch.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Presumably that very lack of another dude is the glitch.

Nah, you can have it so that some roles don't have a person acting it out. So the guy chose a story segment where a wrestler gets jumped in a garage and only had Sin Cara as a person. Because Sin Cara is supposed to get the poo poo kicked out of him, it's still playing those canned animations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Then the ability to choose a segment under those circumstances is a bug.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

haveblue posted:

Then the ability to choose a segment under those circumstances is a bug.

Wrestling games are not held to a high standard of quality.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Silentman0 posted:

It looked indistinguishable from reality to me.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

CJacobs posted:

The way it just loving leaves at the end.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Speaking of Dead Space, does anyone have a link to the video where Isaac becomes "the most powerful pair of legs in the universe" due to getting shot to pieces during a cutscene?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Polaron posted:

Speaking of Dead Space, does anyone have a link to the video where Isaac becomes "the most powerful pair of legs in the universe" due to getting shot to pieces during a cutscene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Hx043D_0E

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silentman0 posted:

WWE games work like Vince McMahon was in charge of them: 15 year out of date engine with a glossy new cover and the Rock, Stone Cold and John Cena are still the most powerful characters. THQ barely changed up their formula after the first Smackdown game for ps1 and the dudes who took over for them just kept the whole thing intact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CJacobs posted:

Was something supposed to happen in this? I didn't notice anything unusual.