Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I hope someone picks Larry Sanders up off the scrap heap and gives him a chance to turn things around. The Bucks probably want to avoid trading him to a rival East coast team, and not many teams in the West need a center. Plus I'm not sure what MIL would want back, a PF maybe?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25061913/bucks-larry-sanders-suspension-not-over-after-10-games
Hopefully he stays in Milwaukee and leads them to an upset over the Cavs. For now he's still suspended. Maybe until he goes to rehab or something, no one's spilling the beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I tend to get NBA Eddie Griffin confused with comedy-movies Eddie Griffin confused with Avery Johnson who was in the comedy movie Eddie about some rando off the street becoming the best Knicks head coach in decades

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Igor Strelkov posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25061913/bucks-larry-sanders-suspension-not-over-after-10-games
Hopefully he stays in Milwaukee and leads them to an upset over the Cavs. For now he's still suspended. Maybe until he goes to rehab or something, no one's spilling the beans.

The Bucks signed Jorge to another 10 day so I'm guessing it will be that much longer at least. What happens if he comes back and puts them at 16 active players? Do they have to waive someone?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Can Cousins or Davis break Kevin Love's record of 47WS without making the playoffs?

The Brow is currently at 26.5WS and Cousins is at 21.3. If NO doesn't make the playoffs next season AD will come close, but I expect them to make the playoffs next year.

Cousins on the other hand is under contract with the Kings until 17-18, so he's very likely to shatter Love's record.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

dokmo posted:

It's like the time that guy got Iverson charged with assault by claiming that AI threatened him with a bulge in his pants.

When I tell my grandkids about Allen Iverson I'm going to start with that.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

WhyteRyce posted:

@MarkSchanowski
Fox Sports Ohio reports Ray Allen will pick his team in the next 10 days & lists Cavs, Wizards, Hawks, Warriors, Clippers & Heat as choices.
Torn between "Ray Allen might gently caress up our identically tall, long-armed defensive bench lineups, also I've always loved Barbosa almost as much as him" and "I really, really want to see Curry & Allen play together before Ray retires".

It's all moot because he's gonna end up with the Cavs anyway.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 9, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Igor Strelkov posted:

There's finally a concrete timeline for Dwight Howard

6-8 weeks was the guess by Dwight, the doctor interjected and said it was basically week by week.

I'm at the point with this where I don't trust anything they say.

Houston don't really have the salaries to make this trade work.

Papanikolaou and Terry, it's actually really easy :confused: That said I'm not sure I want to trade for a man with a crippling pot addiction

dokmo posted:

I know it's fun to say this, but the only person who said anything about Griffin masturbating is the guy whose car got hit, who had an incentive to make it look worse.

I kinda skimmed this thread and assumed we were implying that Blake Griffin's elbows are all messed up because he jacks it too much

chunkles fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 9, 2015

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Faxanadu posted:

I love that man

We need to get Boogie to re-team up with Hassan Whiteside in Miami. Spoelstra would kill himself mid-season, but I'm okay with that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Apparently SlamBall is making a return...in China.
China gets our best...again. :911:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

chunkles posted:

Papanikolaou and Terry, it's actually really easy :confused: That said I'm not sure I want to trade for a man with a crippling pot addiction

You are right that they can make it work. I probably should've said something more along the lines of "Houston would have to gut their bench again to get Sanders, and would then have $33m tied up in 2 centers who can't play together".

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i like my pot addictions like i like my crossfaces--crippling

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/kings/2015/02/09/vivek-ranadive-pete-dalessandro-kings/23125543/

quote:

According to the person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the process, Kings majority owner Vivek Ranadive and D'Alessandro met on Sunday's at the team's Sacramento facility and full backing was given to the team's top basketball executive. Considering D'Alessandro is known to have been leading the way in pursuit of Karl, and also the fact that the two sides were known to be close on contract terms as of Sunday, it would seem to appear that Karl will likely be the coach.

Never thought I'd be glad that George Karl would coach the Kings but I guess that's where we are

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can someone post that other Suns buzzer beater that rattles around and when it goes in all the players instantly deflate on the floor.

No don't :(

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Robin Lopez must be stopped

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12299128&ex_cid=espnTW

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

chest pass to the loving face bitch

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I really wish I was in Dallas tonight so I could be nerdy and get a Mavs Star Wars night shirt.
This page is great and terrible at the same time. "DIRK SKYWALKER...HANTA SOLO...ANAKIN SKYPARSONS...TYSON CHEWBACCA...RONDO CALRISSIAN...R2DEVIN2...RICHARD JEFFERSON-3P0...BOBA FETT AMINU...ADMIRAL CHARLIE VILLANU-ACKBAR"

http://www.mavs.com/star-wars-night-aac-yes-really-happening/

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 9, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

chest pass to the loving face bitch

That's a nice crisp hate crime right there. None of that bounce pass silliness

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spacebump posted:

I really wish I was in Dallas tonight so I could be nerdy and get a Mavs Star Wars night shirt.
This page is great and terrible at the same time. "DIRK SKYWALKER...HANTA SOLO...ANAKIN SKYPARSONS...TYSON CHEWBACCA...RONDO CALRISSIAN...R2DEVIN2...RICHARD JEFFERSON-3P0...BOBA FETT AMINU...ADMIRAL CHARLIE VILLANU-ACKBAR"

http://www.mavs.com/star-wars-night-aac-yes-really-happening/

"a line of storm troopers hold up German 3-signs"

I'm not sure storm troopers and Germans is the wisest association to make

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

whoever chose to make Rondo Lando Calrissian is doing the lord's work

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

also give this man an oscar

https://vine.co/v/OU1whDdjM91

e: i've looped this at least 20 times, thinking about permanently looping it in the background like meatspin when you want to get the view counter up

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I hope someone picks Larry Sanders up off the scrap heap and gives him a chance to turn things around. The Bucks probably want to avoid trading him to a rival East coast team, and not many teams in the West need a center. Plus I'm not sure what MIL would want back, a PF maybe?

Milwaukee needs a Larry Sanders. They cannot let him go. If they do I will drive over to their offices and make them an offer they cannot refuse.

Edit: I'm serious, they need a hardcore ball swatting maniac center right now. Gianis is getting the hang of swatting balls, but Sanders can muscle the dudes Gianis cannot.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2015

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

TheFallenEvincar posted:

China gets our best...again. :911:

I get so happy everytime I see this picture.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Grantland with a piece on Whiteside. Sample size be damned, I love it:

quote:

You’re not supposed to come out of nowhere in the NBA. Player development is supposed to be a painfully gradual process. The league is full of apparatuses designed to ensure it locates, nurtures, and pays all of the world’s most worthy basketball players. There are 30 little intelligence agencies competing against each other to help make sure that guys like Whiteside, who can put up the numbers he puts up, don’t fall through the cracks. Whiteside is exceptional, and lest you think “taking the NBA by storm” is a little hyperbolic, check this out:

Highest PER Since January 1

Hassan Whiteside, 32.0
Anthony Davis, 31.0
Stephen Curry, 29.4
James Harden, 28.9
LeBron James, 28.2

Two years ago, Whiteside was playing in Lebanon. Now, he’s affixed atop the smart-guy leaderboard that could double as the NBA Illuminati Power Rankings.

How in the world does this happen?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/hassan-in-wonderland-the-heat-center-on-his-breakout-season/

Also, it makes me feel really old because Whiteside sees the Miami Heat as an iconic brand because of their past.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 9, 2015

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Hassan Whiteside should have signed with the Bucks. I mean, just look at him, he was clearly put on this earth to play for this current Bucks team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

If Whiteside had been a heatman last year and broken out, do you guys think Lebron would have stayed?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

Grantland with a piece on Whiteside. Sample size be damned, I love it:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/hassan-in-wonderland-the-heat-center-on-his-breakout-season/

Also, it makes me feel really old because Whiteside sees the Miami Heat as an iconic brand because of their past.

I'm glad I'm as old as I am, because this will forever be my brain's answer to hearing the words "Miami Heat"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So if Whiteside has been the best player in 2015, why aren't the Heat winning very much? Clearly, Whiteside is a good player who deserves minutes and all that, but the Heat games I watch he seems to sell out for Rebounds a LOT and crashes the offensive glass A LOT that requires other players to cover transition D. He does finish around the basket really well and he is a super-high motor guy, for sure. But this sorta looks like someone who is getting overrated by advanced stats by a healthy margin. I wonder if he'll be a "pump and dump for assets" guy?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Their transition D isn't that bad though, and I think whatever he's doing to hurt it is probably outweighed by having a dude getting them so many extra chances at points. He is almost certainly overrated and there are sample size issues, but he's been legit really good. That team has the worst point guard play in the league and needs shooting bad.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The New York Times on the Knicks:

quote:

If Anthony wants to contribute something potentially meaningful this atrocious season, he should shut down the knee after next week, let the Knicks’ summer league roster scrap as it did Saturday night and continue to lose, and in doing so enhance the likelihood of landing the No. 1 pick in the 2015 draft.
The fans will survive. If they had any basketball sense, they wouldn’t be there in the first place.

The Mecca!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Igor Strelkov posted:

If Whiteside had been a heatman last year and broken out, do you guys think Lebron would have stayed?

Yes.

Lockback posted:

So if Whiteside has been the best player in 2015, why aren't the Heat winning very much?

I've been wondering this as well. Looking at his numbers, he actually has a negative OBPM. Not sure how that works out, though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Their transition D isn't that bad though, and I think whatever he's doing to hurt it is probably outweighed by having a dude getting them so many extra chances at points. He is almost certainly overrated and there are sample size issues, but he's been legit really good. That team has the worst point guard play in the league and needs shooting bad.

For sure, he's clearly a net asset, that's not hard to understand. He's a great defensive rebounder and that's almost always a huge plus regardless. The question is, why don't you see team success with him? It could just be the effect of an otherwise meh team (though if Hassan was a real all-star level player the Heat should good). With Linsanity you saw the effect with a real good run by the Knicks during that stretch.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Heat have some good talent at forward/center and the worst guard rotation in the league by a mile. They can't get into any sort of coherent offensive set without Wade and he still has some heroball tendencies being the leading scorer on the team. It's been so bad that Tyler Johnson is getting playing time because he can apparently run some semblance of an offense.

I also think the effect of a single all-star big man is overrated in terms of producing wins because that guy still needs someone to get him the ball where he's effective. A dominant guard is going to need less support around him.

nachos fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 9, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah outside of Wade they have absolutely nothing on the wing, I don't know if them being bad has much to do with Whiteside. They lost all their shooting in the offseason and LeBron did a lot to mask their point guard issues.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

nachos posted:

The Heat have some good talent at forward/center and the worst guard rotation in the league by a mile. They can't get into any sort of coherent offensive set without Wade and he still has some heroball tendencies being the leading scorer on the team. It's been so bad that Tyler Johnson is getting playing time because he can apparently run some semblance of an offense.

I also think the effect of a single all-star big man is overrated in terms of producing wins because that guy still needs someone to get him the ball where he's effective. A dominant guard is going to need less support around him.

Why isn't their defense better?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Lockback posted:

For sure, he's clearly a net asset, that's not hard to understand. He's a great defensive rebounder and that's almost always a huge plus regardless. The question is, why don't you see team success with him? It could just be the effect of an otherwise meh team (though if Hassan was a real all-star level player the Heat should good). With Linsanity you saw the effect with a real good run by the Knicks during that stretch.

It's also because the Heat have been reluctant until recently to play him much. The Heat have lost many games in the third quarter because Spo didn't play Hassan at all.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

nachos posted:

I don't agree with this at all. Whiteside is an obvious example. Even with terrible guard play he can still produce.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's also because the Heat have been reluctant until recently to play him much. The Heat have lost many games in the third quarter because Spo didn't play Hassan at all.

But playing him doesn't seem to help either. In games where they played him 28+ minutes they are 2-4, including losses to Minnesota, Milwaukee and Detroit, all games they (on paper) should have won if Whiteside is a all-star level player. Its just weird they find the breakout player of 2015 and it means they lose their playoff spot.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lockback posted:

So if Whiteside has been the best player in 2015, why aren't the Heat winning very much? Clearly, Whiteside is a good player who deserves minutes and all that, but the Heat games I watch he seems to sell out for Rebounds a LOT and crashes the offensive glass A LOT that requires other players to cover transition D. He does finish around the basket really well and he is a super-high motor guy, for sure. But this sorta looks like someone who is getting overrated by advanced stats by a healthy margin. I wonder if he'll be a "pump and dump for assets" guy?

This is all wrong.

They have sucked because everyone has been injured leading to zero consistency. Wade, Bosh, Whiteside, Birdman, McBob, Deng and Chalmers have all been injured. In fact, not a single player on the roster has played in every game this season.

He moves very well for a big guy. Look at this sexy, sexy block: http://www.nba.com/video/games/clippers/2015/01/11/0021400559-mia-lac-play5.nba/

EDIT: Also, in a large portion of that that 2-4 record when Whiteside was playing at an All-Star level, he was still being worked into the rotation OR returning from an ankle injury and only played 24-28 minutes. When he and Wade are on the floor together, the offense and defense are a completely different beast.

PantsFreeZone fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 9, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MourningView posted:

Yeah outside of Wade they have absolutely nothing on the wing, I don't know if them being bad has much to do with Whiteside. They lost all their shooting in the offseason and LeBron did a lot to mask their point guard issues.

Is Deng really that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tae posted:

Is Deng really that bad?

He's definitely slower and less effective. But he's still above average.

• Locked thread