Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Centripetal Horse posted:

This is the lesson I think a lot of modern retailers need to learn. There's a reason I don't buy shoes online, and there are plenty of other items that demand to be held and tried on before you make a purchase. It's odd how so many retailers managed to change and adapt as the box store model began to dominate, but can't seem to go back in the other direction. I think a lot of these places could survive if they were to shrink back down to a couple of knowledgeable employees in a strip mall unit, or a small stand-alone.

Maybe the problem is that they aren't interested in surviving. Maybe run-it-into-the-ground followed by bankruptcy is the most immediately profitable and satisfying path.

In relation to Bain? Uh yeah, that's exactly what is profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Centripetal Horse posted:

This is the lesson I think a lot of modern retailers need to learn. There's a reason I don't buy shoes online, and there are plenty of other items that demand to be held and tried on before you make a purchase. It's odd how so many retailers managed to change and adapt as the box store model began to dominate, but can't seem to go back in the other direction. I think a lot of these places could survive if they were to shrink back down to a couple of knowledgeable employees in a strip mall unit, or a small stand-alone.

Maybe the problem is that they aren't interested in surviving. Maybe run-it-into-the-ground followed by bankruptcy is the most immediately profitable and satisfying path.
Management people are basically middle-men. They have no interest in being mom and pop stores. For management to exist the enterprise has to be of a certain size.

If the world was to lose all of its MBA class it would be a richer and better place.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Uber puff piece contains this gem:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The numbers are probably skewed up for effect but owning a car in the most expensive metro in the USA is definitely not cheap. Getting rid of it and using public transit and uber/lyft to fill in the gaps is going to save you plenty of money.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If these numbers are true, and the tone of the article accurately reflects the author's personality, I'm pretty sure you found the living manifestation of the word "twit"

Also :lol: at getting nearly $5k in tickets every year.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Jesus tap dancing Christ I have a bunch of friends who literally don't care where they park and I don't think their yearly tickets combined would reach $5k. Granted, our tickets are cheaper in some areas.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Blue_monday posted:

Jesus tap dancing Christ I have a bunch of friends who literally don't care where they park and I don't think their yearly tickets combined would reach $5k. Granted, our tickets are cheaper in some areas.

If you're budgeting (sort of, her numbers don't add up) for a $500 red light, $172 speeding and droves of parking tickets a month, you'd be drat near coming out ahead hiring a full time car service for that alone.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
In the comments he says he also moved, so he went from a 30 minute commute to a much shorter, unspecified commute distance.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

30 year old dude spends $1k monthly on fast food, doesn't own a fridge, asks people to make a grocery list for him among other things.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EatCheapAndHealthy/comments/2vbf4n/i_was_apparently_not_prepared_to_take_care_of/

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Barry posted:

If you're budgeting (sort of, her numbers don't add up) for a $500 red light, $172 speeding and droves of parking tickets a month, you'd be drat near coming out ahead hiring a full time car service for that alone.

The speeding and red light tickets are a once-a-year deal. Still, pretty ridiculous. I've been driving nearly a decade and I've never run a red light :c00l:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Lblitzer posted:

30 year old dude spends $1k monthly on fast food, doesn't own a fridge, asks people to make a grocery list for him among other things.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EatCheapAndHealthy/comments/2vbf4n/i_was_apparently_not_prepared_to_take_care_of/

I thought I spent too much on food but this guy is in another realm. No fridge is the biggest disaster.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Not a Children posted:

The speeding and red light tickets are a once-a-year deal. Still, pretty ridiculous. I've been driving nearly a decade and I've never run a red light :c00l:

I saw a guy the other day try to beat a yellow before it turned red and as soon as he passed under it, the schadenfreud-iest camera flash I've ever seen went off. Red light tickets in Seattle are, well, not very cheap.

Edit: $2700 in eating out per month :stare: I thought my spending $400/month for two peoples' groceries was high. I can't even

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Alt Take: Dumbass driver let's someone else take the wheel. A Good Article.

Seriously, I've probably driven close to 100k miles around LA and the SoCal freeways and have never gotten in an accident or received a ticket. Its not that loving hard to obey traffic laws and be mindful of your surrounding drivers.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's $2700 over like 3 months.

quote:

I'm not kidding when I say my cabinets are barren. I've never bought a cooking item in my life. It's hard to believe, but i've always subscribed to idea that it's cheaper for one to just buy a prepared meal at a restaurant then go out and buy $20-$30 for stuff to cook some thing.

If I just google "meatloaf", i'm looking at a pound of meat, bread crumbs, a couple spices, eggs, bottle of ketchup. It's a hosed up way to think, but I see that as $3 for the meat, $2 for eggs, kethcup $2, bread crumbs $1... I mean, at this point I just go spend the $12 and get a jimmy johns unwhich.

Yikes.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Gorman Thomas posted:

Alt Take: Dumbass driver let's someone else take the wheel. A Good Article.

Seriously, I've probably driven close to 100k miles around LA and the SoCal freeways and have never gotten in an accident or received a ticket. Its not that loving hard to obey traffic laws and be mindful of your surrounding drivers.

Not saying you are, but generally California drivers are maniacs. It probably doesn't take much to not get a ticket. My ex from Bakersfield would always get on me for going too slow when I've going 10 over on the freeway, and that seems to be the general driver over there. People give like less than half a second of space on the freeway going 90 mph, CA drivers that are tourists here constantly cut people off, etc. I see it in mine and my wife's family too (NorCal and SoCal). It drives me crazy.

Barry posted:

Yikes.

Yeesh that's gross. I've done my fair share of eating out, but nothing to that extent.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Barry posted:

Yikes.
First thing that comes to that dude's mind when he thinks of something to cook is meatloaf. Even if he had groceries it doesn't sound like he can cook so why bother?

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Gorman Thomas posted:

Its not that loving hard to obey traffic laws and be mindful of your surrounding drivers.
VICTIM BLAMING

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2vb71m/i_am_in_the_1_of_student_loans/

quote:

TL:DR- 130k student loan debt, no hope for better job, kid on the way, going to be single income family, is bankruptcy a viable option?

I went to a private college, I thought it would be great on my resume and open a lot of doors for me. Put I was a stupid 18 year old who didn't know any better. I got a degree in something I love, art, which I know many of you will troll on and on about. But the fact is I was always told to get a degree in something you love, so I followed that advice. The school I went to was a liberal arts college, so I did not just study art, I also minored in sociology.

Those four years left me with an estimated 100k in students loan debt from both federal and private loans.

After college I decided to put personal interest before professional and moved back home (western Maryland) so that my girlfriend of 5 years (at the time) and I could get married. We both had jobs and both bought cars. We also took out a credit card to pay for a rather cheap wedding.

I decided to go back to school for a little while and take some graphic design courses. I had planned to pay for it out of pocket, but once we moved into our own place, that became impossible.

I was employed at a warehouse making $30,000 a year ($14/hour with solid 40 hour weeks). That warehouse closed which put me on unemployment for a month until I found another warehouse job that pays exactly the same. Having money to pay for a roof over my head, food on the table, and gas in my car is not an issue.

Keeping personal priorities in mind my wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months. This has unfortunately put her out of work until after maternity leave.

We have considered cutting back to one car so that she can stay home with our son (this saves money on child care and also reduces insurance, gas, and removes a car payment from out bills).

Back to the issue at hand. My students loans Have been racking up interest and now sit at comfy $130k. I all but exhausted my forbearance. Add the 11k credit card and 10k left on my car and 15k on hers, our debit to income ratio is shot.

I have been job hunting for something better ever sense I left school, but there just isn't anything that pays more 35k in my area for someone my age with no experience besides warehouse.
So with a mountain of debt, a family to take care of, and no better job opportunities in site I see no hope of ever tackling my student loans. I know bankruptcy is near impossible, but is it something I should look into and if so, would I really have a chance of bringing my owed debt down to a manageable amount?

This guy is like the poster child for making terrible financial decisions. One after another after another.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Barry posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2vb71m/i_am_in_the_1_of_student_loans/

This guy is like the poster child for making terrible financial decisions. One after another after another.
When you have a poo poo income and a huge debt the only real solution is always to move in with your parents. Even without debt and a kid on the way I don't see how you can make a household work on $30k/yr.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

HonorableTB posted:

I saw a guy the other day try to beat a yellow before it turned red and as soon as he passed under it, the schadenfreud-iest camera flash I've ever seen went off. Red light tickets in Seattle are, well, not very cheap.

Edit: $2700 in eating out per month :stare: I thought my spending $400/month for two peoples' groceries was high. I can't even

Roughly how much are the red light tickets in Seattle?

The numbers seem backwards to me. I've gotten one speeding ticket and one red light ticket. The speeding ticket was $300 after I plead it down to a lower charge, and the red light was in the range of $50 or so.

(Learned my lesson on that speeding ticket, let me tell you that.)

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

Not saying you are, but generally California drivers are maniacs. It probably doesn't take much to not get a ticket. My ex from Bakersfield would always get on me for going too slow when I've going 10 over on the freeway, and that seems to be the general driver over there. People give like less than half a second of space on the freeway going 90 mph, CA drivers that are tourists here constantly cut people off, etc. I see it in mine and my wife's family too (NorCal and SoCal). It drives me crazy.

Nah its true, we're not nearly as bad as New England drivers though! I'll get up to 80 on my commute and still have motorcycles and trucks passing me on the left. I've seen way too many blue tarps being handled by EMS :(. I'm seriously contemplating ditching my car when I eventually move closer to work despite LAs lovely public transportation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The first thing I did when I moved to a city with decent public transport and a grocery store in walking range was get ride of the car. Parking would have been $135 a month, so before even gas, I'm saving like $600 a month (payments, insurance, parking). Best decision ever.

Of course my rent went up by about $250 :smith:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

Having money to pay for a roof over my head, food on the table, and gas in my car is not an issue.

This isn't an issue but given that he's got a combined $26k of credit card debt on top of the car he shouldn't have bought and the giant student loan that he didn't seem to be paying I think he's got no idea he can't actually afford those things.

In part he was a fool for listening to people saying to follow your dream without knowing that these days it leads to crippling student debt. I actually believe that student loan reform is needed. Scrap private loans (we got rid of those long ago in New Zealand) and just have federal loans with rules to avoid people being in debt for their entire life. Before student loan interest was reduced to 0% a scheme was introduced to write off a proportion of interest so that 50% of your annual compulsory repayments would pay the loan principal. For the money being spent US college students would probably be better off getting their education outside of the US as it would cost less.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Renegret posted:

Roughly how much are the red light tickets in Seattle?

The numbers seem backwards to me. I've gotten one speeding ticket and one red light ticket. The speeding ticket was $300 after I plead it down to a lower charge, and the red light was in the range of $50 or so.

(Learned my lesson on that speeding ticket, let me tell you that.)

Between $120 and $150 a pop.

Edit: $124 exactly.

Seattle Times posted:

Seattle has caught thousands of people running red lights in the three years it has used red-light cameras. Violators get a $124 ticket in the mail — the same fine they would pay if they ran a red light in front of a police officer.
But Seattle City Attorney Tom Carr said the city fines drivers $250 for parking illegally in a handicapped-parking zone.

Basically, don't drive like an rear end in Seattle and you'll be fine.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 10, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gorman Thomas posted:

Nah its true, we're not nearly as bad as New England drivers though! I'll get up to 80 on my commute and still have motorcycles and trucks passing me on the left. I've seen way too many blue tarps being handled by EMS :(. I'm seriously contemplating ditching my car when I eventually move closer to work despite LAs lovely public transportation.

I've lived in both and I think California is worse. New Englanders are angrier and more willing to drive unsafely in bad weather, but don't do the tailgating thing as badly. Californians sort of drift all over the place. In New England you're in one lane and you quickly move between them to keep the "transaction short", while californians seem to take a leisurely stroll across the lane divider to maybe some day be in a single lane.

New England also doesn't have lane change orgies like:

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I've lived in both and I think California is worse. New Englanders are angrier and more willing to drive unsafely in bad weather, but don't do the tailgating thing as badly. Californians sort of drift all over the place. In New England you're in one lane and you quickly move between them to keep the "transaction short", while californians seem to take a leisurely stroll across the lane divider to maybe some day be in a single lane.

New England also doesn't have lane change orgies like:

Lol I live at that interchange. It's not too dangerous because the poor design means that area always has traffic! :suicide:

Anyways, bad with money is me, because I live with parents and still spend like 600 a month eating out.

This month is going to be even worse, food budget wise, because valentine's day, anniversary and birthdays.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Stolennosferatu posted:

Lol I live at that interchange. It's not too dangerous because the poor design means that area always has traffic! :suicide:

Anyways, bad with money is me, because I live with parents and still spend like 600 a month eating out.

This month is going to be even worse, food budget wise, because valentine's day, anniversary and birthdays.

I used to live off the 57 in the Placentia/Yorba Linda/Brea area many years ago (its where I grew up)...so I know that particular clusterfuck of an interchange well. Makes me so glad to not have to travel that any more....instead I get to mess with Seattle traffic. It's a trade off lol

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Barry posted:

Remember that scene in Roger & Me, where they're following around the deputy sheriff who's evicting people, and he's in the process of evicting the woman who'd just gotten married?

What he says in that scene has always stayed with me: something like "if you're gonna get married, get married to someone with money. You can be poor on your own, you don't need help to be poor".

I reckon the same thing could be extended to include having a kid when your combined income is $28 an hour.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

cowofwar posted:

First thing that comes to that dude's mind when he thinks of something to cook is meatloaf. Even if he had groceries it doesn't sound like he can cook so why bother?

gently caress this, meatloaf is awesome. You take that back.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Here's the net worth percentile rank calculator. You can enter your age in both boxes and your net worth to discover that you are bad with money. I don't live in the US and recent devaluation of the local currency versus the US has diminished my rank but at least I'm well past 50%.

http://www.shnugi.com/networth-percentile-calculator/?min_age=0&max_age=0&networth=0

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Stolennosferatu posted:

I got into a major accident going through that intersection at night:
1) When I came in off the 57N I overtook some slow people when the 60E lanes merged on the left.
2) Forgot to merge back onto the 57N before they split again.
3) Didn't realize the 57N had already split and ended up going over the median (big bumps, rough patch) at 65MPH. You can see the median here - at night it just looked like the other side of the freeway :argh:.
4) Blew out all 4 tires and my alignment but at least I didn't hit any trees and die :).

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 10, 2015

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Evil Robot posted:

4) Blew out all 4 tires and my alignment but at least I didn't hit any trees and die :).

Great move, dying is bad with money.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I just got a red light ticket. One second too late in a turning lane.

369 bucks.

That's Melbourne for you. If you get 12 demerits in a three year period you get your license suspended. Each offense is usually three demerits.

Hell, they charge you 300 here for going less than 5k over the limit.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Sokani posted:

Eh, it's a one-time expense.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Sokani posted:

I beg to differ. No cost of living, one time payment for near permanent accommodations (albeit not much of a view). Not to mention potential insurance payouts. Taxes can get a bit tricky though. Death is the one thing everyone can afford!*

*Final Sale, no Refunds

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Sokani posted:

Hey, gotta discharge those student loans somehow.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Devian666 posted:

Here's the net worth percentile rank calculator. You can enter your age in both boxes and your net worth to discover that you are bad with money. I don't live in the US and recent devaluation of the local currency versus the US has diminished my rank but at least I'm well past 50%.

http://www.shnugi.com/networth-percentile-calculator/?min_age=0&max_age=0&networth=0

Comparing my results in this to my comparitive results in the BFC net worth survey is kind of jarring

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Not a Children posted:

Comparing my results in this to my comparitive results in the BFC net worth survey is kind of jarring

Haha yep. [Chant] We are the 99 percen(tile)

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I was talking about fitness costs with a couple last night on a double date since we were joking about how the gyms are quiet now. When we broke down our personal budgets for fitness, I was really surprised how expensive some people go with this.

Monthly Fitness Budget for Girlfriend(Student, Part Time) and I (Working Fulltime)
Judo - $70 ($35 a person, free summer training from May to Aug as GF is a Black Belt)
Shared gym membership $22 a month
Supplements (Protein, multi-vitamins) $150 a month

Other Couples' Fitness Budget (Both Students, no jobs)
CrossFit Gym Membership $600 ($300 per person with a personal trainer)
BJJ for the Guy - $120 a month
Yoga for the Girl - $200 a month
Supplements (Stacks from bodybuilding.com) $450 a month

It doesn't surprise me since they go overboard with all their hobbies(anime, cosplay, gothic Lolita), but $1000+ for physical fitness is mind boggling. I guess you can't put a price on mental health recovery if it works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Devian666 posted:

drat. That makes me scared for other people. Mine isn't even… good. :(

• Locked thread