Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was infinitely superior.

Also way to remind me about Sym-Bionic Titan, jerks :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

They also botched the He-Man reboot.

There was another one?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Lurdiak posted:

There was another one?

I don't know about the last few years, but I am talking about the one from several years ago that vanished into thin air. I never even see it get brought up in these kinds of conversations. I didn't think it was that bad. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't know about the last few years, but I am talking about the one from several years ago that vanished into thin air. I never even see it get brought up in these kinds of conversations. I didn't think it was that bad. :smith:

I think that was mostly a target audience problem. He-man is deep in the 80s, everyone who'd remember him would be far too old to watch cartoons by then. It wasn't a bad show, but big muscly men fighting skeletons wasn't nearly as trendy as 10 year olds with insane hair playing dumb card games.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwVskWCmy_k

That is one big pile of poo poo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Solaris Knight posted:

The saddest thing about Green Lantern the Animated Series is that it didn't sell because of toy retailers getting burned at the movie failing, which is the thing that greenlit the Animated Series in the first place.

Red Foreman dying to save his planet always gets me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I think that was mostly a target audience problem. He-man is deep in the 80s, everyone who'd remember him would be far too old to watch cartoons by then. It wasn't a bad show, but big muscly men fighting skeletons wasn't nearly as trendy as 10 year olds with insane hair playing dumb card games.

I loved the 00 era He-Man because that version of Skeletor was just a humongous dick. Also, unlike the 80s cartoon the design for He Man and Prince Adam were different so He Man wasn't just Adam without a shirt.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

redbackground posted:

Batman fighting against an army of robot animals with his superhero pals is a concept too good for this Batman Unlimited franchise.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
oh my god Master Shake is the Penguin, I can't unhear it.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

TwoPair posted:

oh my god Master Shake is the Penguin, I can't unhear it.

The Drizzle finally found an identity that would make him money.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

He-man is deep in the 80s, everyone who'd remember him would be far too old to watch cartoons by then. It wasn't a bad show, but big muscly men fighting skeletons wasn't nearly as trendy as 10 year olds with insane hair playing dumb card games.
I was, I think, done with my first year of college when it premiered and it was supremely my poo poo. It was a faux anime (as in DBZesque fights) with some attempt to actually use the setting to world build.

Unfortunately CN didnt want an action cartoon that post-teens could discuss on the net at the time.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Dana Snyder as Penguin is pretty solid casting, both animated and in live action.

Also

goldenoreos posted:

Batman fighting against an army of robot animals with his superhero pals is a concept too good for this Batman Unlimited franchise.

Basically yeah. You can have a whole series about an army of robot animals vs Batman and his Amazing Friends, and it'd sell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

goldenoreos posted:

Dear god, that has Toyetic written all over its dumb face.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just accidentally stumbled upon this thread because I saw the Phantom 2040 name in the title, and man was that a weird but awesome show. It made the live-action movie all the more disappointing because it was based on the OLD Phantom.

If you liked the show, you should track down the SNES game. It's one of my favorite SNES games and boy howdy was it ambitious for an SNES game, I feel like it had an equal amount of divergent endings as Chrono Trigger had. Depending on what choices you made, you were locked out of equipment/zones/storylines and could very well make a beeline straight for a bad ending. It had a ridiculously robust inventory of different weapons and equipment, and some pretty great huge boss battles. The ninja rope thing you have lets you get all over the place in the levels, too. The wierdest part about it was the password system which has like 80 components, but I think that's due to the amount of possible path variations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I just accidentally stumbled upon this thread because I saw the Phantom 2040 name in the title, and man was that a weird but awesome show. It made the live-action movie all the more disappointing because it was based on the OLD Phantom.

If you liked the show, you should track down the SNES game. It's one of my favorite SNES games and boy howdy was it ambitious for an SNES game, I feel like it had an equal amount of divergent endings as Chrono Trigger had. Depending on what choices you made, you were locked out of equipment/zones/storylines and could very well make a beeline straight for a bad ending. It had a ridiculously robust inventory of different weapons and equipment, and some pretty great huge boss battles. The ninja rope thing you have lets you get all over the place in the levels, too. The wierdest part about it was the password system which has like 80 components, but I think that's due to the amount of possible path variations.

You know, I vaguely remembered that such a game existed, but you are the first person I have ever seen actually describe it and now I am wondering how more people haven't spoken about the game in general. I mean even bad games get talked about tons. Did people really not like the Phantom that much?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Did people really not like the Phantom that much?

Pretty much.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If you are one of the people who actually do like the Phantom, you should check out Defenders of the Earth, It has the Phantom, Mandrake the Magican and his former sidekick Lothar and Flash Gorden fighting Ming the Merciless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nm_jJBkHtU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

e X posted:

If you are one of the people who actually do like the Phantom, you should check out Defenders of the Earth, It has the Phantom, Mandrake the Magican and his former sidekick Lothar and Flash Gorden fighting Ming the Merciless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nm_jJBkHtU

I didn't even have to click the link before the theme song started playing in my head.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 14, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

redbackground posted:

Uh... excuse me... my eyes seem to be misaligned

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cardboard Box A posted:

Uh... excuse me... my eyes seem to be misaligned

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vakal posted:

I didn't even have to click the link before the theme song started playing in my head.
Its sounds like the singer of Manowar which automatically makes it the greatest thing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The guy who voiced Razer recorded his own epilogue for the character. It basically was Razer runs out of air and dies. The end.

Doesn't he find a differently colored ring and fly away?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Green Lantern ends with Razer flying away in hope that he'll find Aya still alive out in the universe somewhere, and then a blue ring flies into view and follows him.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah that He Man cartoon loving rocked. It started off slow as molasses but once they fleshed out the mythos of the MotU universe it got infinitely better.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Vakal posted:

The lyrics were apparently written by Stan Lee, and while that doesn't need t mean much, you can really hear it. Also, apparently it takes place in 2015.

In any case, all of the King Features Syndicate character as are rad as hell. Especially the Phantom and Mandrake, who are kind of unique as superheroes go.

I do however remember watching a Flash Gordon cartoon growing up, I want to say it was probably by Filmation if I remember the art style correctly, and I absolutely loved it. I generally have a weakness for settings that blend sci-fi and fantasy and have tons of different weird poo poo interacting with each other. It's the sole reason I really dig He-Man too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

e X posted:

The lyrics were apparently written by Stan Lee, and while that doesn't need t mean much, you can really hear it. Also, apparently it takes place in 2015.

In any case, all of the King Features Syndicate character as are rad as hell. Especially the Phantom and Mandrake, who are kind of unique as superheroes go.

I do however remember watching a Flash Gordon cartoon growing up, I want to say it was probably by Filmation if I remember the art style correctly, and I absolutely loved it. I generally have a weakness for settings that blend sci-fi and fantasy and have tons of different weird poo poo interacting with each other. It's the sole reason I really dig He-Man too.

Stan has been writing the King Features Spider-Man strip for like 30-something years. Newspaper Spider-Man should have been on that team.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

e X posted:

The Phantom has the best 'nickname that's not your codename' in comics.

Yes, The Ghost Who Walks is better than The Man Of Steel. Suck it, farmboy. :colbert:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Apparently there was a Phantom mini-series on the SyFy channel within the last several years. I did not know this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

The Phantom has the best 'nickname that's not your codename' in comics.

Yes, The Ghost Who Walks is better than The Man Of Steel. Suck it, farmboy. :colbert:

Annihilus still gets called THE LIVING DEATH THAT WALKS sometimes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Annihilus still gets called THE LIVING DEATH THAT WALKS sometimes.

Better watch out for The Man Who Cannot Die. :smug:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I was this close to buying a box set of the complete Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Would I be correct in assuming If I do this it will be a Good Thing?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I was this close to buying a box set of the complete Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Would I be correct in assuming If I do this it will be a Good Thing?

You are correct. Just be prepared for a bad theme song and ultimately being saddened when you realize it was canceled only so Jeph Loeb could create his precious shared universe of terrible cartoons

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Man Without Fear, Philistines.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

Man Without Fear, Philistines.

Is a close second.

TwoPair posted:

You are correct. Just be prepared for a bad AWESOME theme song and ultimately being saddened when you realize it was canceled only so Jeph Loeb could create his precious shared universe of terrible cartoons

FTFY

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 15, 2015

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

The first season is a pretty good assortment of Avengers stories, characters, and obvious world building (though this takes place in the same canon as the Wolverine and the X-Men TV series which was canceled by the time EMH went on the air and the Hulk VS Wolverine short movie). The plots are mostly resolved with a view tidbits that carry over into season 2.

Season 2 suffers from two things. One is that the show is going to get canceled. There was some ridiculous long delay between Season 1 and 2 and this seems to happen often with Marvel's cartoons. There's always some behind-closed-door bullshit that occurs that causes a huge delay in airing completely produced and finished episodes. And then they get aired and then leak online because they air in New Zeland or whatever and then Marvel is SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tellya, when the ratings suck because so many people have already seen this poo poo on youtube.

So there are sub-plots that were started in season 2 that are either kind of half assed and resolved or quickly forgotten about. Probably the most notable one is the Thor and Gamora sub-plot.

There's also a very distinct shift in tone halfway through season two. Apparently Jeph Loeb loving hates the phrase "Previously on [cartoon]" because he thinks kids are dumb as rocks and can't loving remember poo poo so he just wanted every single loving episode to be done-in-one. This actually causes some plots to go on for several episodes, such as Vision's plot that probably could've been done in a two parter but ended up taking like 1/3rd of 3 episode because everything has to be done-in-one. And then you get these done-in-one plots like Hank Pym's transition into Yellowjacket which is wrapped up way too quickly with a nice little bow on it and it is just unfulfilling. Also Loeb also has a complete hard on for Movie Synchronization so everyone adopts their Movie Outfits. Even though this series already had a Black Nick Fury, he becomes much more Samuel L Jackson like in Season

Also, the finale really does kinda suck.

Season 1 is all kinds of awesome. Season 2 starts out good but they did the best with what they had.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
EMH has Kang which is awesome, and Femshep is Ms Marvel, which is kinda perfect. Though why the guy who played Stark thought that Jack Black would be the voice for him, I do not know.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jennifer Hale voicing a generically "tough" lady is perfect? Sure, ok. That's one way to describe it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jennifer Hale was nice as Black Cat in Spider-Man TAS. :v: Though, this may be nostalgia talking.

Also compare EMH to the crap Avengers Assemble and you'll quickly forgive the crappy parts of EMH.

Avengers Assemble is basically made to milk money off of the movie and make everyone band as poo poo and forgettable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I just like how you could tell AA was an attempt to milk off of the films, but ended up being as completely off model from the movies as EMH. Well nearly. I mean Falcon is a key character in the show and within a season he was completely inaccurate to the films. Woops? Not to mention that Hulk's portrayal is just a more kiddy version of EMH Hulk, and nothing like movie Hulk at all. Thor is also a lot like EMH Thor, just more kiddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I just like how you could tell AA was an attempt to milk off of the films, but ended up being as completely off model from the movies as EMH. Well nearly. I mean Falcon is a key character in the show and within a season he was completely inaccurate to the films. Woops? Not to mention that Hulk's portrayal is just a more kiddy version of EMH Hulk, and nothing like movie Hulk at all. Thor is also a lot like EMH Thor, just more kiddy.

I'm sure Hulk in AA was done so children could "relate" to him or something considering he's pretty much what an elementary school kid would think Hulk would be like.

His catchphrase is "HULK STRONGEST THERE IS!!!!" for God's sake...

At leas Jeph Loeb doesn't get to touch the movies....right..? :ohdear:

• Locked thread