Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Momomo posted:

If there's any real problem with Arc-V, it's this. Yuya is cool, but he hogs the spotlight for like, ever.

It's probably because i've become jaded after 5D's and ZeXal, but to me Yuya is sharing the hell out of the spotlight right now and Yuzu is getting an amazingly high amount of it so far that i'm pretty sure in these 42 episode she's gotten more focus in more meaningful way than every female character in every yugioh spinoff combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't count Yuzu's "duels" against Yuuya and Sora, so her having two duels and some clips of a third in 41 episodes still doesn't seem outstanding. But between her and Masumi there's definitely good, strong female representation happening.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, I forgot that 5D's was Yu-Gi-Oh! Club Mix :allears: that early soundtrack's amazing.

Jack Atlas' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHU7K2mnVg

What's the name of the one song when Yusei first fights Aki and sacrifices Stardust to stop Black Rose Dragon from wiping the field?

E: Aaaaaaaaahhhh why am I watching 5Ds

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 9, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the name of the one song when Yusei first fights Aki and sacrifices Stardust to stop Black Rose Dragon from wiping the field?

E: Aaaaaaaaahhhh why am I watching 5Ds

Because 5Ds is amazing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Because 5Ds is amazing.

I just watched episode 41, I've never even seen an episode with Crow and I already know I hate him because he steals the spotlight from Aki.

Which is unacceptable, Aki owns

E: Yusei also owns

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just watched episode 41, I've never even seen an episode with Crow and I already know I hate him because he steals the spotlight from Aki.

Which is unacceptable, Aki owns

E: Yusei also owns

It's just one of those things that happens when in the end you're a toy commercial (which makes me laugh because 5Ds entire gimmick was 'poo poo we could never possibly sell to the public' in the form of Riding Duels.) I cannot find the direct links anywhere where someone on the staff went over original plans like Demacks backstory, Rua's revenge duel, and Crow's initial status as a villain. But the short of it is yeah, Konami execs go "Blackwings selling EVERYWHERE cause they're so busted! Make Crow more of a protagonist so we can sell more Blackwings!"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am not very happy with Episode 7.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Silento posted:

I don't know how 4Kids got the opening so right when they dubbed Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh, but managed to gently caress up a bunch of their other shows' openings (One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew) so badly.

I have never watched One Piece but thanks to the theme song I am least aware that it's the name of the treasure, and for that I am thankful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

PoshAlligator posted:

I have never watched One Piece but thanks to the theme song I am least aware that it's the name of the treasure, and for that I am thankful.

But do you know its location?

Beef Waifu posted:

I am not very happy with Episode 7.

What was episode 7 again? Oh hey we've just introduced Yuto. The one thing I love about that episode though is that Sawatari keeps trying to act like he's going to get Revenge on Yuya and Yuzu keeps interrupting with basically "FIGHT ME YOU PRICK!"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked that, the part I didn't like is the rest of the episode when I thought Yuzu was gonna duel and Sawatari just gets chumped on by this dude who just shows the gently caress up to show off his dumb cards that counter Sawatari's perfectly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I liked that, the part I didn't like is the rest of the episode when I thought Yuzu was gonna duel and Sawatari just gets chumped on by this dude who just shows the gently caress up to show off his dumb cards that counter Sawatari's perfectly.

Indeed, however it shows you just how bullshit the meta is with no Heavy Storm, Set five indeed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It felt like I was watching a season 2 GX episode all over again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onmi posted:

Indeed, however it shows you just how bullshit the meta is with no Heavy Storm, Set five indeed.

But with people dropping heavy storms on a whim Artifacts become hella OP.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I will say that he's better than he looks, but more to the point, this is Yuzu's first interaction with the actual plot of Arc-V. Yuya will not become involved in this until the 30's he's in fact very good at dodging the plot.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But with people dropping heavy storms on a whim Artifacts become hella OP.

On the other hand it stops that loving "Set 5 End Turn deal with it yo" problem.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I really wish Yu-Gi-Oh was a cheaper game to play competitively.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

On another note, was TV-Nihon the only group to sub season 0? They seem to be the primary group, and, given their track record especially in the world of Toku, I'm hesitant to use them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't know what you mean by that, but yeah, this guy's appearance out of the blue is pretty unsatisfying. Just know that this isn't a Crow scenario, and the guy isn't going to rob anyone of the spotlight.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I really wish Yu-Gi-Oh was a cheaper game to play competitively.

Just forget that it is a physical game altogether, Devpro is just as fun and without having to shell out hundreds of dollars. Unless you really want to be a part of the WCS circlejerk the real thing just aint worth it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Just forget that it is a physical game altogether, Devpro is just as fun and without having to shell out hundreds of dollars. Unless you really want to be a part of the WCS circlejerk the real thing just aint worth it.

I can confirm this. I have something like 5 decks in YGOPro, all of which could not be put together without importing OCG cards from the East. It has all of the advantages of playing the game for real with none of the disadvantages.

On that note, is there any appreciable difference between Devpro and YGOPro?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Better matchmaking and hosting alternatives I think.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

It's just one of those things that happens when in the end you're a toy commercial (which makes me laugh because 5Ds entire gimmick was 'poo poo we could never possibly sell to the public' in the form of Riding Duels.) I cannot find the direct links anywhere where someone on the staff went over original plans like Demacks backstory, Rua's revenge duel, and Crow's initial status as a villain. But the short of it is yeah, Konami execs go "Blackwings selling EVERYWHERE cause they're so busted! Make Crow more of a protagonist so we can sell more Blackwings!"

IIRC the Crow villain thing was Takahashi's idea when he made the design and was change early in development (Crow taking over Aki's spot was Blackfeather popularity)
The Demak stuff is fun: Japan had a huge cult controversy with some cult that made women members basically slaves and Carly's VA was a high-ranking member and people got arrested and poo poo, coincidentally around that time Demak got to show no backstory, Arcadia was removed without a trace and Yliaster was retooled from Cult to future robots club house.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Onmi posted:

I will say that he's better than he looks, but more to the point, this is Yuzu's first interaction with the actual plot of Arc-V. Yuya will not become involved in this until the 30's he's in fact very good at dodging the plot.

I was sort of hoping they would never get around to actually telling him what the hell was going on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

YGOPro never updates on time and is frequently out of date. Apparently the dev (Percy) does ALL of the coding himself and refuses help. This is nice except he's actually using some really backwards way to input the cards and effects which causes him to have to basically do things from scratch every single time there's a new ban list or set. Whenever you ask when an ETA for the next update is, you're told by his fans on the YGOPro forums to just gently caress off and go play a stupid waiting forum game. Also, the older way Percy does things leads to MANY bugs that usually don't get fixed.

DevPro doesn't do poo poo like this and is always on time with updates as they actually use some newer way to update the cards and effects. However, there are so many people using it, it royally fucks up for a day or so after every update. Since you must be online to play it, the servers just take a poo poo for a while until people calm down with logging in to play the new cards/new list. There's much more transparency with the developers and they're not super secret for no reason like Percy is.

Basically what I'm saying is, while YGOPro can be played offline, you will always be out of date and waiting MONTHS for an update (NECH + the new banlist after that took almost 2 months). DevPro is better, YGOPro is crap.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Momomo posted:

I was sort of hoping they would never get around to actually telling him what the hell was going on.

That would have been fun

"Yuya there's-"
"No! I don't care I just want to play card games and make people happy!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

IIRC the Crow villain thing was Takahashi's idea when he made the design and was change early in development (Crow taking over Aki's spot was Blackfeather popularity)
The Demak stuff is fun: Japan had a huge cult controversy with some cult that made women members basically slaves and Carly's VA was a high-ranking member and people got arrested and poo poo, coincidentally around that time Demak got to show no backstory, Arcadia was removed without a trace and Yliaster was retooled from Cult to future robots club house.

So the Demak stuff was probably... not going to be super happy fun time then.

Also the worst duel in 5Ds was clearly Ruka vs that Psychoanalyst guy. It's 2-3 episodes and when streaming the episode for a group drat near everyone either fell asleep watching it or completely ceased to care. It got to the point where people forgot who's turn it was, what turn it was, or if people were even allowed to do that.

And then her next Duel is Demak and it's just as long and pointless when the episode isn't an outmatched Rua who's failed to protect his sister dueling a force far beyond him.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 9, 2015

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
People give GX a lot of poo poo but Jaden (watching dub) is great. Late to the most important exam in his entire life ever? But there's an old lady who needs help pushing her car! :3: Maybe I'm just a sucker for the genuinely nice shounen hero.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a thread somewhere for dueling with goons or can we set that poo poo up here.

What I'm saying is, I'm AntEaterEatingAnt1 on dueling network, add me

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

People give GX a lot of poo poo but Jaden (watching dub) is great. Late to the most important exam in his entire life ever? But there's an old lady who needs help pushing her car! :3: Maybe I'm just a sucker for the genuinely nice shounen hero.

Judai is loving awesome because of one thing, for the first two seasons his mentality is "It's a loving card game and we should all really just have fun." And he lives it, even when things get dramatic he tries to keep a light heart. And while he does get some dramatic moments he remains a genuinely goofy good hearted person trying to do right.

and then loving season 3 happens.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

Yeah, he's a nice guy overall and fights for his friends and is a hero alright. :)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

On another note, was TV-Nihon the only group to sub season 0? They seem to be the primary group, and, given their track record especially in the world of Toku, I'm hesitant to use them.

it's time to learn Japanese, bees

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

it's time to learn Japanese, bees

but that'll take years
can't i just have baal sub it for me

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Onmi posted:

Judai is loving awesome because of one thing, for the first two seasons his mentality is "It's a loving card game and we should all really just have fun." And he lives it, even when things get dramatic he tries to keep a light heart. And while he does get some dramatic moments he remains a genuinely goofy good hearted person trying to do right.

And, even better, that's where 4kids left the show.

So like it's two seasons of "yeah, don't get too uptight about this stuff" and then loving season 3 happens.

And then they leave it with Jaden for all intents loving dead and then we're off to go Cyberpunk with Domino blown to bits.

This franchise and it's localisation is 15 some years of things being utterly bonkers.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 9, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ConanThe3rd posted:

And, even better, that's where 4kids left the show.

So like it's two seasons of "yeah, don't get too uptight about this stuff" and then loving season 3 happens.

And then they leave it with Jaden for all intents loving dead and then we're off to go Cyberpunk with Domino blown to bits.

This franchise and it's localisation is 15 some years of things being utterly bonkers.

Don't forget 5D's ending right in the middle of a story arc too.

Is the Zexal dub still going?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The better question is who cares about Zexel?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Zexal has a surprising amount of fans, that I suspect have been traumtized by the the first seasons and latched compulsively onto Zexal II as a way of coping.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Apparently it beat Kill la Kill in some popularity poll in Japan or something.

Dexie posted:

Don't forget 5D's ending right in the middle of a story arc too.

Is the Zexal dub still going?

It's ending next week, making it the first spinoff to actually have a full dub.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ConanThe3rd posted:

The better question is who cares about Zexel?

I care about Zexal. :(

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

but that'll take years
can't i just have baal sub it for me

i'll mail you all my old shonen jumps and you can read along with the show so you know what's going on

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Onmi posted:

It's not like how the third series of Digimon went all Diet Evangelion on everyone, is it? :ohdear:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

It's not like how the third series of Digimon went all Diet Evangelion on everyone, is it? :ohdear:

Nah, it's just that Jaden becomes a bit less nice to his friends because he gets a new super best friend forever that he kinda obviously likes more than his other friends and some people think that made him a bit of a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No, that was season 4.