Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I wondered if maybe once they started Manziel as the management wanted, Farmer or someone else was texting Shanahan to complain about the plays he was calling for Manziel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

football fuckerman posted:

I wondered if maybe once they started Manziel as the management wanted, Farmer or someone else was texting Shanahan to complain about the plays he was calling for Manziel

To be fair I think all the Browns fans here were complaining about the play that ended his season

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ribsauce posted:

The worst thing about sports is they mean so much to a city and fanbase, but you can get saddled with a horrible owner for 40 years and you pretty much can do nothing about it. It took a lifetime achievement award in racism to get Donald Sterling to lose the Clippers (if 2 billion in cash is even losing hah). This guy can gently caress up the team every 12-24 months for 25 years and still pull in money. The city will still meet whatever demands he makes, the TV money will roll in, fans will still go.....what a business.

All too true. I can't remember the exact quote but I heard on a sports show once that the only people you can't free yourself from (short of dying) are your parents and the owner of your favorite sports team. The margin between "not caring enough" and "caring too much" is super-thin and I think you'll find that all the consensus bad owners fall outside it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

say no to bats posted:

I used to hate how passive Randy Lerner was as team owner. Now I have Snyder Jr. and it loving sucks.

I wonder what flavor of ice cream Haslam would leave on his coach's desk? Rocky road probably.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

"This grinder is great. See, you put the weed up here, put the cap on and you grind it and *unscrewing noise* it fills this chamber. But then you see that screen? Some of the resin that falls off the weed will end up in this chamber at the bottom *unscrewing noise*. Sprinkle a bit of those crystals on this crack cocaine I have here and you have yourself a pretty good bowl to smoke."
*Jimmy grabs pipe and inhales deeply*
"Homeless man... you've made some very good points."

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I was packing my hitter as i scrolled down to that post, hahahha

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

All too true. I can't remember the exact quote but I heard on a sports show once that the only people you can't free yourself from (short of dying) are your parents and the owner of your favorite sports team. The margin between "not caring enough" and "caring too much" is super-thin and I think you'll find that all the consensus bad owners fall outside it.

What's the TFF-approved list of good owners?

I'd say it's probably:

-Eagles
-Giants
-Patriots
-Steelers
-Packers?
-Seahawks?

There's not a lot of good owners.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

axeil posted:

I'd say it's probably:

-Eagles
-Giants
-Patriots
-Steelers
-Packers?
-Seahawks?

Baltimore and ...Indy? I know that last one sounds crazy since the owner is an out of control drug addict, but he seems to delegate running the team to very capable people who draft well and always make the playoffs.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Baltimore and ...Indy? I know that last one sounds crazy since the owner is an out of control drug addict, but he seems to delegate running the team to very capable people who draft well and always make the playoffs.

He fucks his own life up instead of the team.

Feels like a win to me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cucka posted:

I was packing my hitter as i scrolled down to that post, hahahha

:agreed: :birddrugs::hf::catdrugs:

axeil posted:

I'd say it's probably:

-Eagles
-Giants
-Patriots
-Steelers
-Packers?
-Seahawks?

The Seahawks owner (Paul Allen, the richest owner afaik) is pretty amazing at allowing the team to be successful on the football side. He's quick to cut ties with bad coaches and GMs while allowing others the time and freedom to develop. I don't love what he is doing with marketing/finances/blahblahgayshityoualldontcareabout, but my team is winning. That's sort of what matters most, I guess.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 9, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Don't bring up the Maras to Cowboys or Redskins fans but yeah, the Maras are good owners. No complaints and it's nice to have stability and calm there. All the owners are lovely in some way and all of them fleece their fanbase/cities but on a list of bad people the Maras are pretty low.

Steve Biscotti seemed like a quality owner until the Ray Rice fiasco.

I legit don't know anything about the owners for the Chargers/Cardinals/Texans/Chiefs/Rams. Are any of them good, fans of those teams?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Everyone loves Shad Khan for his mustache basically

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I remember Cardinals ownership being criticized pretty heavily for being cheap, but that seems to have gone away in the last 10-15 years.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

axeil posted:

I'd say it's probably:

-Eagles
-Giants
-Patriots
-Steelers
-Packers?
-Seahawks?

No need for the question mark for Seahawks. Paul Allen is legit. As cliche said, there's some marketing / patenting stuff I don't like as well as that he wanted some public funding for the stadium as part of him signing on as owner, but considering what Seattle has dealt with having Howard Schultz blow up the Sonics and the now deceased-owner of the Mariners never attending a single game, and the previous owner of the Seahawks being a massive rear end in a top hat, he's pretty much the best owner Seattle has ever had. he's really done a great job delegating control to his coaches and GM and rarely oversteps his bounds.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Febreeze posted:

Rams. Are any of them good, fans of those teams?

I think buying land in LA and then refusing to negotiate a stadium financing deal with St. Louis probably counts against him in the eyes of Rams fans.

But ask again in 2 years when they are in LA with a new fanbase.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

say no to bats posted:

Apparently the Browns used up all their luck 70 years ago by starting out with the greatest HC in NFL history, a GOAT contender at QB and over 20 years straight of HoFers at RB and other positions. Its just a real loving shame hardly anyone is left alive who remembers it vividly. I guess we are still up on Cubs fans. Not a soul is left who remembers the last time they won poo poo.

I've probably mentioned it before but my father in law was a teenager when they last won the title in 64, and was at the game thanks to winning some tickets through a radio show. At the time they just treated it like another trophy for the pile.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Febreeze posted:

Don't bring up the Maras to Cowboys or Redskins fans but yeah, the Maras are good owners. No complaints and it's nice to have stability and calm there. All the owners are lovely in some way and all of them fleece their fanbase/cities but on a list of bad people the Maras are pretty low.

Steve Biscotti seemed like a quality owner until the Ray Rice fiasco.

I legit don't know anything about the owners for the Chargers/Cardinals/Texans/Chiefs/Rams. Are any of them good, fans of those teams?

Alex Spanos is the "owner" but he is old and has Alzheimers.

Dean Spanos is the de-facto owner of the team and is a good owner in the sense that he hires football people and doesn't meddle in decision making. The big criticism of him is that he is TOO loyal to the people he hires and keeps them around longer than he should (AJ Smith). Also nepotism since all his sons have prominent roles in the organization but it's not been a bad thing.

He has also been EXCEEDINGLY patient in trying to get a new stadium deal done for the last 15 years, and it's wearing thin and his hand might be forced to relocate the team to LA, but I can hardly blame him

Good owner.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Marshmallow Blue posted:

The question is, Do the Browns trade all their picks to get Winston. This would be the best thing. The funniest thing.

Cleveland is the team Winston deserves.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Bob McNair is hands-off probably to a fault because Rick Smith is a terribad GM

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cole posted:

Cleveland is the team Winston deserves.

Agreed. I want to watch him flounder, suffer, burn out, and eventually expire in a Wawa parking lot at age 32, with only five of his original teeth left in his head (and two in his pocket).

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

that seems rude

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Fenrir posted:

I remember Cardinals ownership being criticized pretty heavily for being cheap, but that seems to have gone away in the last 10-15 years.

The son took over and he's been willing to spend money. THe older Bidwell was so cheap he used the ASU stadium for the games.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Add him to the cool owners club or I will loving fight you. :colbert:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

warcrimes posted:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mark owns. All he needs to do is start walking in the middle of whatever the NFL is doing and flopping his dick on the table, and he'll be perfect.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

warcrimes posted:

Your owner has cameltoe? :confused:

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
gently caress, it's like he's the lovechild of Al Davis and Jon Gruden

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

warcrimes posted:

I still have never figured out how this weird awkward looking bastard is Al Davis's son. Young Al Davis was a rebel, and looked the part dressing almost half mafioso, and half greaser. Mark looks like a creepy as poo poo grown man trying to look like a dutch boy.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Kraken posted:

gently caress, it's like he's the lovechild of Al Davis and Jon Gruden

Like?

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
Jerry Richardson (Panthers) is a good owner. The only former player to own a team. I like how he has a close relationship with the Giants. If you're going to model your team after an organization, the Giants are a pretty good one to follow in my opinion. Also, he stays away from known shitheads and won't draft them. Of course sometimes that leads to ridiculous stuff like the "no tattoos" thing for Cam, but I like that the Panthers don't employ guys like Ray Lewis and Perish Cox (Hardy is likely gone from the team).

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Bob McNair is solid. He cares about the team, and lets the football people do their jobs, without second guessing them or getting his hands dirty. Of course, in this case, Rick Smith is the football person in question, but it beats a new GM every two years.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

Jerry Richardson (Panthers) is a good owner. The only former player to own a team. I like how he has a close relationship with the Giants. If you're going to model your team after an organization, the Giants are a pretty good one to follow in my opinion. Also, he stays away from known shitheads and won't draft them. Of course sometimes that leads to ridiculous stuff like the "no tattoos" thing for Cam, but I like that the Panthers don't employ guys like Ray Lewis and Perish Cox (Hardy is likely gone from the team).

lol i hope you didn't stand up to say that or you're out of here

also this http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/lists/the-15-worst-owners-in-sports-20141125/jerry-richardson-carolina-panthers-20141125

quote:

once sneeringly responded to Peyton Manning's concerns about concussions with, "What do you know about player safety?"

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I like Arthur Blank but maybe that's just me since I don't know too much about owners.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
Good Browns Chat.

I personally think Cleveland makes the playoffs last year if Alex Mack stayed healthy the whole season. Crowell and West are decent RBs and would have kept the playaction working well. Hoyer did fine enough with time in the pocket, some lucky not-interceptions aside.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chichevache posted:

Agreed. I want to watch him flounder, suffer, burn out, and eventually expire in a Wawa parking lot at age 32, with only five of his original teeth left in his head (and two in his pocket).

Wawa isnt in Cleveland

He would die at a Sheetz

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Richardson might be one of the biggest shithead owners in the league so lol

(http://deadspin.com/leaked-nfl-documents-while-owner-cried-hardship-carol-5988893)

Nothing will top that Redskins fan defending Snyder being called the worst owners

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 10, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
William Clay Ford definitely was the "care too little" owner and it showed until the last few years of his life. Even then Bill Jr had to call him out on the local news over how much of a fuckup Matt Millen was as GM, so I'm not sure how aware WCF was of his shortcomings. I do feel a little bad that he managed only one playoff win in over 50 years as owner, how do you not just luck into one over that length of time? No idea if his widow does anything with the team or if Bill Jr is the de facto owner now.

Also there's the rumor that comes up here every so often of how the Ford family bought the Lions so WCF could run them into the ground instead of the car company, but I have no idea how true it is.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Chichevache posted:

I really feel bad for Hoyer in all this. Dude was so close to being a hero, only to have the carpet yanked out from under his feet by his own loving team.

I suggest you re-watch the Tim Couch interview after he got cheered by the Browns fans after he got a concussion.

Cliffs: You see a grown man and 4 year veteran QB on the verge of tears because he stuck with Cleveland.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Richardson might be one of the biggest shithead owners in the league so lol

(http://deadspin.com/leaked-nfl-documents-while-owner-cried-hardship-carol-5988893)

Nothing will top that Redskins fan defending Snyder being called the worst owners

:lol: thanks for the link. Got one to the Redskins meltdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hockles posted:

I didn't get to see the video that got posted to the Farthouse thread before it got removed, but here is a video that could be it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6qrW1mdRmQ

:laffo: I forgot all about this video. It got deleted from youtube a while back and I hadn't seen it since. It's such a perfect tragedy that I posted it in the GBS youtube thread back then, when I received my favorite PM of all time.

Subject - Cleveland Browns (holy poo poo) posted:

I just want you to know: I never watch football and know nothing of sports, yet the utter misery that is the Cleveland Browns fascinates me. (This is all thanks to that post you made in the GBS videos thread btw)

I have to ask you: Do the browns not... do warm-ups? Do they not stretch, at all? One of the things I was really baffled by was just the number of torn/sprained whatevers in that video.

Well that and the revolving door management going on 24/7.

I might just watch football thanks to the Browns, so they at least have that going for them. Christ.

• Locked thread