Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

did yospos superstar the management really paint this picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i guess they call it the sharing economy because the employees and the customers share the risks while uber keeps the rewards

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJINsfeYhY

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

uber wants to fingerprint new drivers and make them take lie detector tests

lol no it doesn't

they're "initiating research and development" on fingerprinting and lie detector tests. they're not actually going to do those things unless they can come up with a way to do them over a smartphone in five minutes or less

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

uber, pioneers in compromising appel pay

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

too straight. the only funny bit is at the end with tiny TV's

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the COO of everest, katherine krug has abandoned her car for uber rides everywhere

quote:

In 2010 I moved from Los Angeles to San Francisco and thought I had to bring my car with me.

LA, as anyone who's ever heard anyone say anything about LA knows, is a car city. If you're going anywhere, you're going in your car.

And after living there, I was convinced that this truth wasn't limited to any one city. Owning a car was necessary wherever you lived.

My friends placed bets on how quickly I'd ditch my beloved Volkswagen Jetta for a bicycle, telling me about the bike lanes, the BART, and so on. I patiently listened as I jingled my car keys in my pocket, confused why anyone would ever think I'd let go of such control.

When I arrived in San Francisco, I drove to work every day. Having a car was freedom. It was going wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted. But slowly it started becoming a burden, both mental and financial.

That large dent someone anonymously gifted me on my driver's side door? I can't turn my leased car in with that. Do I fix it now or later? Those $68 parking tickets that amassed so quickly? But that's more than the cost of my lease each month! The reasons kept piling up. Skyrocketing gas prices, flat tires, overnight parking, more hit and run gifts, a speeding ticket, smashed windows. That glow of freedom? It was from a bonfire fed by a never-ending stream of my money.

My $271 per month car lease, which had seemed affordable, actually cost much more when I amortized my total expenditures. On average, my monthly expenses looked more like this:

Enter Uber and Lyft. Since giving up my car in October '13 I haven't waited more than 5 minutes from the moment I thought about needing a car to buckling my seatbelt. They hydrate me, tell me great stories, or, if I want, give me the space and time to do that last bit of work before a meeting. I don't look for parking, or worry about gas, or get upset if someone cuts me off on the highway. That's real freedom.

I also use GetAround — a platform that allows people to rent their neighbors' cars when they aren't using them — to run errands for a few hours, or when I want to hit the road for a weekend. GetAround cars are closer by and cheaper than any car rental company by a longshot.

Since giving up my car, I now spend an average of $572 per month on transportation, which comes to $11,352 per year in savings. On top of that, I get back my time, the most valuable thing of all. I save an average of 6.5 days per year — more than a full week! — to focus on the things I want to be doing, rather than serving my car.

Last year alone I used Uber in 17 different cities, including Rio de Janeiro and Manila. There's a chance I'll never own or lease a car again. I'm hopeful that in major cities, the networks of services like Uber and Lyft will swell so that people can get direct rides for the cost of public transportation. Car shares saved me time, energy, worry, and money. Crunch the numbers, and see what they can do for you.

i dunno how this person manages to get nearly $400 in tickets every month, and i feel really bad for the people who's cars she rented with getaround

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think 6 tickets a month is on the high end of normal for busy people in SF.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
don't think you're allowed to be this blatant when abusing h1-bs but i'm not a lawyer

quote:

Information technology workers at Southern California Edison (SCE) are being laid off and replaced by workers from India. Some employees are training their H-1B visa holding replacements, and many have already lost their jobs.

The employees are upset and say they can't understand how H-1B guest workers can be used to replace them.

The IT organization's "transition effort" is expected to result in about 400 layoffs, with "another 100 or so employees leaving voluntarily," SCE said in a statement. The "transition," which began in August, will be completed by the end of March, the company said.

"They are bringing in people with a couple of years' experience to replace us and then we have to train them," said one longtime IT worker. "It's demoralizing and in a way I kind of felt betrayed by the company."

SCE, Southern California's largest utility, has confirmed the layoffs and the hiring of Infosys, based in Bangalore, and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) in Mumbai. They are two of the largest users of H-1B visas.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...tors_picks=true

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wonder how they got the labor cert there

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

the COO of everest, katherine krug has abandoned her car for uber rides everywhere

i dunno how this person manages to get nearly $400 in tickets every month, and i feel really bad for the people who's cars she rented with getaround

uh this is all completely reasonable afaict.

having a car in sf appears to be a complete clusterfuck, and a non-starter if you're planning to actually use it to get around in the city. parking can be non-existent and just finding something that looks like a spot doesn't preclude you from getting a bill for a myriad of parking violations/getting your window smashed in for no reason.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
yeah aside from specifically involving Uber i don't really see the problem, driving in san francisco loving sucks

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

"Don't judge me"

"I'm not racist, but"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

daft punk railroad posted:

yeah aside from specifically involving Uber i don't really see the problem, driving in san francisco loving sucks
i thought the smart play for sf dwellers was a car-rental sharing service like zipcar. walk/bike/metro/bart where you need to go - if you cant then just jump in a zipcar

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

who the gently caress washes their car more than twice a year

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

They hydrate me

who calls it that

gently caress you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wulfolme posted:

who calls it that

gently caress you

you need more synergy. i'll see you in the next scrum so we can talk about your alpha levels.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Wulfolme posted:

who calls it that

gently caress you

poor people drink water

white people get hydrated

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

quote:

SCE said it is helping affected employees with severance, and other benefits, including "job fairs and other possible opportunities with other organizations within SCE."

"SCE does not take this action lightly and it is assisting employees through this difficult period," the utility said.

"hey, anybody want all these workers we just decided were overpaid?"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

triple sulk posted:

who the gently caress washes their car more than twice a year

during summer months I wash the BMW every 3 days, do a one-coat wax touchup on Saturdays, and once a month do a full Dawn strip/detail/2 stage wax

Nobody has any pride in anything any more.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

during summer months I wash the BMW every 3 days,

nice waste of water, hitler

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

during summer months I wash the BMW every 3 days, do a one-coat wax touchup on Saturdays, and once a month do a full Dawn strip/detail/2 stage wax

Nobody has any pride in anything any more.

i take care of my bicycle, monthly lube and such, check the tires every two weeks

the only appearance that i care about is how many stickers i can fit on it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FMguru posted:

i thought the smart play for sf dwellers was a car-rental sharing service like zipcar. walk/bike/metro/bart where you need to go - if you cant then just jump in a zipcar

you still have to park a zipcar, and reserve one, and walk to the spot. we didn't own a car in Toronto, but it involved a lot of taxis even with the major daily commute being on the subway.

SF's public transit is nowhere near good enough to make taxi/uber obsolete, and taxis in SF are impossible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ultramiraculous posted:

uh this is all completely reasonable afaict.

having a car in sf appears to be a complete clusterfuck, and a non-starter if you're planning to actually use it to get around in the city. parking can be non-existent and just finding something that looks like a spot doesn't preclude you from getting a bill for a myriad of parking violations/getting your window smashed in for no reason.

that it's reasonable is pretty terrible

how can people like sf if they're constantly being ticketed for following the rules?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
from what i gather most people's heads are up their own asses about being in san francisco that the terribleness doesn't matter to them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you're not following the rules, you just think you are. the alternative is doing orbits of a 4-block radius hoping for luck to smile on you.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

you're not following the rules, you just think you are. the alternative is doing orbits of a 4-block radius hoping for luck to smile on you.

well four blocks...then five...then six...then every random side street. then you find a spot and debate if you're actually able to fit (ban full-size sedan rentals at SFO plz) or if you're going to be one inch too close to a driveway. then you see someone peeking out of the window and decide it's risky and move on. after passing several areas scheduled for "street cleaning" (lol), you find a spot on a road you've driven down four times just as you hit a solid :30 late for dinner.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

poty posted:

did yospos superstar the management really paint this picture

no its the increasingly strange op (op)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i did have that thought too tho which proves that it must be good

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

and the curb's covered in broken glass which could mean it's a risky spot, but could also mean that the bloodlust of the natives is sated -- roll the dice?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

nice waste of water, hitler

Use of water. Not waste.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Waste is when my ex-tenants youtubed themselves doing ice bucket challenges with a 55 gallon drum, on my water bill. That's wasting water

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

suffix posted:

calling it now: they'll mail you a couple of alligator clips you plug into your phone's audio jack and clip to your nipples while you answer an in-app quiz

that's one hell of a value-add

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

suffix posted:

calling it now: they'll mail you a couple of alligator clips you plug into your phone's audio jack and clip to your nipples while you answer an in-app quiz

sure, but what will they do to the drivers?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Subjunctive posted:

sure, but what will they do to the drivers?

hook up their junk instead to keep the leads free of their arms while driving

safety first

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
my solution to the SF transit problem was to stop having a social life

works for me

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's hard to live at work ever since that one guy at google ruined it for everyone by bragging about it

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

It's hard to live at work ever since that one guy at google ruined it for everyone by bragging about it

think that was aol also he didn't actually work for aol

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

ultramiraculous posted:

well four blocks...then five...then six...then every random side street. then you find a spot and debate if you're actually able to fit (ban full-size sedan rentals at SFO plz) or if you're going to be one inch too close to a driveway. then you see someone peeking out of the window and decide it's risky and move on. after passing several areas scheduled for "street cleaning" (lol), you find a spot on a road you've driven down four times just as you hit a solid :30 late for dinner.

everything in this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
that makes uber sound like the best of a bad situation

in a single overcrowded city so lets spread uber to lubbock texas we are a billion dollar company

• Locked thread