Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If you want to do more serious work on them, that's where it gets retarded. I should find a pic of the procedure for refilling the cooling system in a K1200R.

I like to stress my wife out by showing her this pic and whispering "clutch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

clutchpuck posted:

How

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
When it gets to that point, it's time to pay somebody to deal with it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Premium Bavarian engineering.

nitrogen posted:

When it gets to that point, it's time to pay somebody to deal with it.

Good luck suggesting that to her. You're likely to get a "I don't have a garage for nothing!"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know if I've asked this before but are K1300's terrible mechanically? I really really really want one but not if I have to pay someone else to work on it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You probably should pay somebody to work on it. But why? They ride like 2-wheel Honda Accords.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I don't know if I've asked this before but are K1300's terrible mechanically? I really really really want one but not if I have to pay someone else to work on it.

Only the transmissions, AFAIK, so, yes?

I still really want a K1300R for dumb, post apocalyptic reasons.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Luckily those clutches last a really long time.

Slavvy posted:

They're about the most complicated thing BMW has yet made, which is saying something, and I hear they do have some reliability issues.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm glad my yamaha being simple and having a center stand allows me to do 98% of the maintenence in my carport.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Luckily those clutches last a really long time.

She's at 65k on the original. Isn't that getting into miracle-miles territory?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

She's at 65k on the original. Isn't that getting into miracle-miles territory?

Depends on the type of riding you do, but I've heard of people doing 100k or more on them - the clutches are pretty beefy relative to the size of the bike, and if more time is spent doing long miles then around town, obviously that'll help the clutch last as it doesn't really wear much when it's not slipping.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not sure what the average is for boxers, but on my old K bike, I took the thing apart at like 80k miles and the clutch still had plenty of meat on it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Only the transmissions, AFAIK, so, yes?

I still really want a K1300R for dumb, post apocalyptic reasons.

Like the cockroach, the MZ ETZ will be the only bike to survive the apocalypse.

Any bike that has in the owners manual "Please have a qualified motorcycle mechanic carry out maintenance. If no mechanic is available a local blacksmith may have the necessary tools and knowledge." is a bike that will still be running when the last dentist-mobile is dust.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but I don't want an Ural.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Owning a Ural is kinda like eating MREs for every meal. Awesome for the apocalypse, not very tasty otherwise.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Are they as unreliable still? I really want one but...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They will be forever unreliable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's as reliable as Putin is when he says there are no Russian troops in Ukraine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Collateral Damage posted:

It's as reliable as Putin is when he says there are no Russian troops in Ukraine.
Having worked on them, I can confirm this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Having worked on them, I can confirm this.

Russians or Urals?:confused:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In soviet Russia, biek works on you.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Russians or Urals?:confused:

Russian troops in the Ukraine.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

You seem to have misplaced part of your motorbike.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My stepfather has had a Ural since the mid 90's. He's got about 2,500 kilometers on the clock and has had to rebuild the motor and transmission already. He still loves it and I have no idea why.
I would maybe like it if you could take the side car off but I'm sure you'd need to do something with the final drive on the bike once the drive stuff for the car was removed (shove rags in the hole?).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now when you say he 'had to rebuild' I'm assuming this means that he had to rebuild it so it was decent to ride. I get the feeling that if he had done nothing it would keep limping along forever, never quite ready to die.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The rings broke on a cylinder so it smoked but still ran ok. The trans I think something happened where it wouldn't go into or come out of reverse.

Either way yeah, it probably would have limped along, smoking like crazy, possibly only able to go backward, forever.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bugdrvr posted:

The rings broke on a cylinder so it smoked but still ran ok. The trans I think something happened where it wouldn't go into or come out of reverse.

Either way yeah, it probably would have limped along, smoking like crazy, possibly only able to go backward, forever.

This is a fantastic picture.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Not exactly overheard stupid poo poo, but I made the mistake of reading Reddit regarding that picture of a motorcycle helmet that looks like someone took a belt sander to it.

The Reddit posters came out in full force about those dangerous machines that prove you only love yourself and hate your family:

Did you know that motorcycles are like drugs? Take one ride and you gently caress up your life and the lives of your loved ones. Suzukis: Never even once.

Right, so uh, "Having an easier time to find a place to park in a crowded city" and "Saving gas while having fun" are apparently irrational.

Honestly I know motorcycles get a bad rap and all but holy poo poo these guys are loving wimps. :reddit: "Oh but there's nothing to protect you from when you go flying 70mph on a highway through debris, what then, you monster? What then?"

I don't know, fucker, maybe slow down?

For those of you that hate yourself enough: http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/1j72st/discovered_just_now_that_my_brothers_helmet_from/

In short:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That picture has been going around more than a year, hasn't it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

That picture has been going around more than a year, hasn't it?

Nobody said redditors were smart.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We should all just move on of course, because reddit, but I feel like saying how annoyed I am that so many people won't even consider the factor of appropriate riding behavior and controlling risk. It's either unsafe and you're a dangerous monster for doing it, or you're a manly man for not caring about risks and living life like a manly man. Idiots on both sides of that argument.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Do we still ban for reddit here?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minkee posted:

Do we still ban for reddit here?

Why would you? It's just another forum

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Ban GS500 owners

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We should all just move on of course, because reddit, but I feel like saying how annoyed I am that so many people won't even consider the factor of appropriate riding behavior and controlling risk. It's either unsafe and you're a dangerous monster for doing it, or you're a manly man for not caring about risks and living life like a manly man. Idiots on both sides of that argument.

This but for basically everything everywhere. I don't know if it's always been like this, or if the internet and social media have promoted the idea that one thing = bad, opposite thing = good and there is no inbetween or any kind of mitigating factors. It's like people just want to have a shouting contest about whether blue is better than red or not and don't actually give a poo poo about facts, truth, reality, sense or reason.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I think you hit the nail on the head here. What really goaded me about this whole thing is this perpetuation of the myth that a motorcycle is a toy for rich daredevils with a death-wish. When these people aren't willing to look at a motorcycle as another form of transportation for commuting with its own risks and benefits, and they perpetuate the idea of the danger of riding without considering any sort of statistics, it makes the idea of the motorcycle even more exotic than it was before. That scares the poo poo out of me, because it's a hell of a lot harder to generate sympathy for a guy like Travis Pastrana when he hurts himself compared to the suburban yuppie dad with 2 1/2 kids. My biggest fear is a driving public in America, in "safer" cross-over SUVs, that have a very dim view of motorcyclists and believe that anyone on a motorcycle is just "asking for it".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Because going from one place to another in a vehicle is a chore and they can't understand why anyone would want to do this using a method that is A. more dangerous and B. takes more effort. Anyone who does this is clearly unbalanced in some way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EX250 Type R posted:

Ban GS500 owners

No. This path leads to a barren forum roamed by bands of KLR posters.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

No. This path leads to a barren forum roamed by bands of KLR posters.

Yeah but we'd pretty much only lose one dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Marxalot posted:

Yeah but we'd pretty much only lose one dude.

Since I own a gs550 am I safe?

• Locked thread