Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pincky posted:

Holy poo poo Ted Cruz was in Germany? I live in Hamburg (Northern Germany) and I didn't see any coverage of him! The only coverage about US participation was about Biden!
Maybe I'm not as involved about politics as I thought I am?

Anyway, gently caress Rafael or whatever :P

It's probably because Cruz is a pie-faced fascist shitheel and nobody wanted to run afoul of media laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I haven't counted you out yet, Mitt. You know your country needs you!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

It's probably because Cruz is a pie-faced fascist shitheel and nobody wanted to run afoul of media laws.

Yeah, he and Joni Ernst were there as part of a delegation.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Yeah, he and Joni Ernst were there as part of a delegation.

What possible cause could have been advanced by sending those two to represent them? Some sort of agricultural junket presumably, but still.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

Cruz doesn't strike me as being fascist, he's a different kind of fool.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sullat posted:

What possible cause could have been advanced by sending those two to represent them? Some sort of agricultural junket presumably, but still.

I didn't know they sent fertilizer samples as delegates.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

TheBalor posted:

When's the last time a president or presidential candidate came close to being croaked? All I can think is when Squeaky Fromme had a gun on Gerald Ford in a crowd.

but it didn't go off!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

No surprise, his odds are better than expected:

What do N, H and C mean in this chart? Am I stupid?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

What do N, H and C mean in this chart? Am I stupid?
N = Nate Silver, not sure who the other two are but presumably two other 538 people. It's just their "totally subjective" guts I think.

edit: Harry Enten and Carla Correa

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

pangstrom posted:

N = Nate Silver, not sure who the other two are but presumably two other 538 people. It's just their "totally subjective" guts I think.

edit: Harry Enten and Carla Correa

OK, thanks. I thought they were labeling voter's party or something.

Why are Chris Christie, Scott Walker and Jeb Bush not on this graph? Are they just analyzing underdogs or some poo poo or are those guys "the field"? Because if it's a list of long shots then where's Sarah Palin?

Looking at this list, I'm very optimistic about Hillary's chances if she runs because, my God, that's a lovely list of Presidential candidates. I mean, that's really, really bad. The GOP is going to HAVE to nominate Jeb to have a chance, aren't they? Or is there some dark horse candidate I haven't considered yet?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

Why are Chris Christie, Scott Walker and Jeb Bush not on this graph? Are they just analyzing underdogs or some poo poo or are those guys "the field"? Because if it's a list of long shots then where's Sarah Palin?

Looking at this list, I'm very optimistic about Hillary's chances if she runs because, my God, that's a lovely list of Presidential candidates. I mean, that's really, really bad. The GOP is going to HAVE to nominate Jeb to have a chance, aren't they? Or is there some dark horse candidate I haven't considered yet?
It's the second, "others" chart, the top 5 are on the first chart
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/listen-to-our-totally-subjective-2016-presidential-odds-for-early-february-2015/

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Can people stop harassing Elizabeth Warren, please? She doesn't appear to have any interest in this and I don't blame her. Maybe not every decent person has to be president?

I mean, do YOU want your finger on the button?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

Can people stop harassing Elizabeth Warren, please? She doesn't appear to have any interest in this and I don't blame her. Maybe not every decent person has to be president?

I mean, do YOU want your finger on the button?

Um, all that "harassment" gives Warren more power in the Senate, which Dem leadership needs to give her to keep her out of Hillary's hair.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

If Rick Perry could somehow rehabilitate his image for this go round. We have yet to see if there's anything new behind the "smart guy" glasses.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zwabu posted:

If Rick Perry could somehow rehabilitate his image for this go round. We have yet to see if there's anything new behind the "smart guy" glasses.

He shows up to an event tripping balls, literally leads a Reagan seance on stage.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh, indeed it is and I am a retard. It's still spectacularly lovely field of candidates though. Bush and Christie I can almost tolerate (in the sense that I can understand why someone might vote for them) but when 3 of your top 5 are Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and Rand loving Paul, there's some problems with your field.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

amanasleep posted:

Um, all that "harassment" gives Warren more power in the Senate, which Dem leadership needs to give her to keep her out of Hillary's hair.

You mean the person she's already endorsed?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

You mean the person she's already endorsed?

Yes. They already paid her off for not actually running by creating a Senate Leadership position. Now they need control her use of that position to push the Overton Window too far to the left for whatever they feel is their ideal framing for the 2016 campaign.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

amanasleep posted:

Yes. They already paid her off for not actually running by creating a Senate Leadership position. Now they need control her use of that position to push the Overton Window too far to the left for whatever they feel is their ideal framing for the 2016 campaign.

... Warren didn't want to run. They put her into leadership because they were hoping she could maybe help democrats capture some of the excitement her campaign generated by helping with strategy.

Or, you know, conspiracy theories. Either way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kalman posted:

... Warren didn't want to run. They put her into leadership because they were hoping she could maybe help democrats capture some of the excitement her campaign generated by helping with strategy.

The prospect of Democrats engaging in intelligent political decisions would be absurd on the face of it, yet we face the real prospect of a third Bush trying for the presidency.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jeb Bush's new technology chief has an... interesting Twitter history:

(link)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

(link)

Oh, this is wonderful.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DaveWoo posted:

(link)
:holymoley:

Considering people get fired over this sort of thing in the private sector all the time, I'm surprised that they thought they'd just get away with it by having him delete the tweets.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Dude's facing felony corruption charges that are probably going to follow him for at least a year. No rehabilitating the rick perry image.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Kalman posted:

To paraphrase Weigel/probably Joementum, maybe she's not interested in being commanding officer of the civilizing forces?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The title "Definer of Civilization's Rules and Leader (possibly) of the Civilizing Forces" was bestowed on Newt by Charlie Pierce, based on an actual scribbled note from Newt's House leadership days.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I just wanna take a minute to remind people of this actual press release issued by the Gingrich campaign last time round:

quote:

The literati sent out their minions to do their bidding. Washington cannot tolerate threats from outsiders who might disrupt their comfortable world. The firefight started when the cowardly sensed weakness. They fired timidly at first, then the sheep not wanting to be dropped from the establishment's cocktail party invite list unloaded their entire clip, firing without taking aim their distortions and falsehoods. Now they are left exposed by their bylines and handles. But surely they had killed him off. This is the way it always worked. A lesser person could not have survived the first few minutes of the onslaught. But out of the billowing smoke and dust of tweets and trivia emerged Gingrich, once again ready to lead those who won't be intimated by the political elite and are ready to take on the challenges America faces.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

If Scott Walker somehow threads the insanity needle and becomes the nominee we're in for a real treat. There exists fewer non-punchable pictures of that man than even those of Ted Cruz. It's insane and the only thing better would be for the Cain Train to bust through the wall and win this thing out of nowhere.

DaveWoo posted:

(link)

Why all the hate for sluts? Mr. Czahor have trouble with the ladies in college?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Interesting ad targeting strategy for Christie. Let's see how it works out for him. :munch:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Gyges posted:

Why all the hate for sluts? Mr. Czahor have trouble with the ladies in college?

He and that Chuck Johnson blogger guy should hang out, I think they'd get along famously.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zwabu posted:

He and that Chuck Johnson blogger guy should hang out, I think they'd get along famously.

Chuck Johnson is married, to an Asian woman he'll have you know.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

:holymoley:

Considering people get fired over this sort of thing in the private sector all the time, I'm surprised that they thought they'd just get away with it by having him delete the tweets.

This is party politics we're talking about, you don't get fired from a sinecure.

(multiply by 1000000 when the party in question is the GOP)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Freudian posted:

I just wanna take a minute to remind people of this actual press release issued by the Gingrich campaign last time round:

Former speaker of the house, complete outsider, noted Tiffany Diamond fanatic.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QwertyAsher posted:

Dude's facing felony corruption charges that are probably going to follow him for at least a year. No rehabilitating the rick perry image.

At this rate, I think the single biggest factor deciding the GOP nominee is gonna be "Who isn't in currently in court?"

Freudian posted:

Anyone who hasn't seen this performed by John Lithgow hasn't truly experienced it.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/7qmvog/john-lithgow-performs-gingrich-press-release

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

At this point I have a feeling we may reach peak political ad this season. There's just so much poo poo coming out for everyone to fling at one another. Just pure insanity like the ones from Swing Vote. Just give me pure desperate vote grabbing tactics, republicans. Give me chaos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4HTZTnsztA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-cBsa73jjA

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Are we posting horrible campaign ads? let me get his one in tout suite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byX7FkfMpe0

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

This is still fantastic, but drat if I hadn't already forgotten how much I hated Colbert's loving audience.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duckbag posted:

This is still fantastic, but drat if I hadn't already forgotten how much I hated Colbert's loving audience.

I've sat in there. They made us do it. One guy who refused to laugh was told he'd be asked to leave.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

I've sat in there. They made us do it. One guy who refused to laugh was told he'd be asked to leave.

And the constant "Wooooooooing"? I've seen the audience gently caress up several jokes by bellowing before the punchline landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Kalman posted:

I mean, it's not a conspiracy. Warren didn't want to run, but that doesn't mean that she didn't use party base enthusiasm for her candidacy as a bargaining chip to get a better position in the Senate. It also doesn't mean that putting her in that position didn't have any other benefit to the Dem establishment besides foreclosing a presidential bid.

It also doesn't mean that she won't be pushing Hillary to the left, or that centrist establishment Dems won't try to convince her not to do that.

• Locked thread