Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Having a 1tb ssd is basically the best thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Don Lapre posted:

I'll let you know what I think on Wednesday after work when I get her in and installed

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don Lapre posted:

I upgraded from a 128GB SSD to a 500GB SSD recently and having a 500GB SSD feels like the best thing in the world. I don't have to janitor it for poo poo.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The fact that you can get nice performing 500GB drives now for $200 or less amazes me.

I don't think I'll ever need a spinny disc drive again.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SouthLAnd posted:

The fact that you can get nice performing 500GB drives now for $200 or less amazes me.

I don't think I'll ever need a spinny disc drive again.

Ah, they have their place, just not in any machine you actually touch. Happy to wait a few hundred milliseconds more to start streaming a video from my NAS, vs replacing all my spinners.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Does the slowdown bug affect the 850 Evos as far as we know?

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006
Quick question: I've read opinions of others saying not to run RAPID on my Samsung 850 Evo in the event that I have a power outage, I could lose/corrupt my data. Is this a real fear that I should worry about? I've only had about two power outages in the past 5 years I've lived here, but should I still prepare for the worst case scenario and just leave it be?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Nuja posted:

Quick question: I've read opinions of others saying not to run RAPID on my Samsung 850 Evo in the event that I have a power outage, I could lose/corrupt my data. Is this a real fear that I should worry about? I've only had about two power outages in the past 5 years I've lived here, but should I still prepare for the worst case scenario and just leave it be?

Get a UPS and you'll never have to worry about a worst case scenario.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Avulsion posted:

Get a UPS and you'll never have to worry about a worst case scenario.

^ This. Best 180 dollars I ever spent

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 9, 2015

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
Are PCI-E SSD's a gimmick or is there any actual performance increases behind them? I'm considering dropping $ on one of those Asus RAIDRs for the gimmick option, and search turned up nothing.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

Duccy posted:

Are PCI-E SSD's a gimmick or is there any actual performance increases behind them? I'm considering dropping $ on one of those Asus RAIDRs for the gimmick option, and search turned up nothing.

I'd wait for a good PCIe NVMe drive to come out that is a reasonable price. If money is no object buy an Intel P3700 right now. Light years faster than any SATA SSD.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr. Ali posted:

I'd wait for a good PCIe NVMe drive to come out that is a reasonable price. If money is no object buy an Intel P3700 right now. Light years faster than any SATA SSD.
"If money's no object, eh? Those things must be pricy. Let me check..."

:stonk: :barf:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You would think they would offer at least free shipping at that price, but nope. 1.6TB of space is pretty sweet though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

isndl posted:

You would think they would offer at least free shipping at that price, but nope. 1.6TB of space is pretty sweet though.
I laughed a lot when I saw that the shipping on the drive that's over 5 grand was only $2 hahaha

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

isndl posted:

They top out at 2.0TB

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Duccy posted:

The RAIDR is just an onboard RAID 0 of SATA drives, its pretty pointlessly expensive for what it is. When NVMe SSDs start to become more mainstream it will be a bigger step up (massive higher random IO etc), but for now at least go for a native PCI-E m.2 drive or similar.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

dud root posted:

Does the slowdown bug affect the 850 Evos as far as we know?

I'm not an expert or anything but as far as I know the issue is an 840 thing only. Certainly my 850pro is going along fine with ~6 months of use on it and I haven't seen any reports of the issue on either 850 version.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr. Ali posted:

But, given that it's only latency that's the bottle neck for most desktop tasks, not throughput, would even that monster SSD provide a noticeable improvement vs an 850 pro on SATA?

For laptops at least, I much prefer some kind of standard format removable / upgradeable storage than the oddball PCIe stuff that apple are now using. M2 should be fine though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Here's a bit of info that someone might find useful.

Samsung Magician can't enable RAPID if you're running the Windows 10 preview. In the minimum requirements table at the bottom of the Rapid mode screen, for OS, it shows "Error in Obtaining I...". Of course, because the UI is stupid you can't actually expand the table column to read the rest of the error message...

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois

BurritoJustice posted:

The RAIDR is just an onboard RAID 0 of SATA drives, its pretty pointlessly expensive for what it is. When NVMe SSDs start to become more mainstream it will be a bigger step up (massive higher random IO etc), but for now at least go for a native PCI-E m.2 drive or similar.

I tried a PCI-E m.2 drive and my motherboard disabled a bunch of SATA ports. It was very irritating, that's why I went looking at the RAIDR. But those intels look way too expense

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Thermopyle posted:

Here's a bit of info that someone might find useful.

Samsung Magician can't enable RAPID if you're running the Windows 10 preview. In the minimum requirements table at the bottom of the Rapid mode screen, for OS, it shows "Error in Obtaining I...". Of course, because the UI is stupid you can't actually expand the table column to read the rest of the error message...

There's an older version that works. Samsung disabled it in an update because they don't want to waste time with support requests for an unreleased OS that's time limited.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

What's a good SSD for an old Lenovo T61 laptop?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Starhawk64 posted:

An Intel 730 or a Samsung 850 EVO or Pro. Just be aware that the 730 draws a bit more power than the Samsungs.

Just because a computer doesn't have the ability to fully utilize an SATA III drive doesn't mean you can't use one in it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 11, 2015

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

You're willing to spend $100+ on a piece of hardware that will postdate every other component in the computer by 8 years? I seriously doubt the hard drive will be your limiting factor there. That said, the Samsung 250 GB 850 EVO is on sale on Amazon for $105 and it's a very nice drive. The 120 GB model is also on sale for $80.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 11, 2015

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

Starhawk64 posted:

I have an 840 evo in my T61, and it feels 1000x snappier despite being ancient.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So after I followed terrible goon advice that SSDs can be installed with other HDDs still plugged in I'm kinda lost.

What I want to do is boot from my 850 and use it for some games while using the rest of my everything on the HDD I have. The problem I've run into when I use the SSD as a boot drive it's a blank desktop at the default resolution and it's unable to access the internet. I've tried to reinstall windows with just the SSD in and still haven't had any success. If I disable the SSD as a boot drive everything is back to normal.

Should I try formatting the SSD and reinstalling windows?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Sedisp posted:

The problem I've run into when I use the SSD as a boot drive it's a blank desktop at the default resolution and it's unable to access the internet.

That sounds like what happens when you install Windows to a regular HDD.

Have you ever installed Windows before? You might just need drivers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sedisp posted:

So after I followed terrible goon advice that SSDs can be installed with other HDDs still plugged in I'm kinda lost.

What I want to do is boot from my 850 and use it for some games while using the rest of my everything on the HDD I have. The problem I've run into when I use the SSD as a boot drive it's a blank desktop at the default resolution and it's unable to access the internet. I've tried to reinstall windows with just the SSD in and still haven't had any success. If I disable the SSD as a boot drive everything is back to normal.

Should I try formatting the SSD and reinstalling windows?

Sounds like you installed Windows to the SSD and then didn't install any drivers. When you unplug your SSD, you're running from your old hard drive that still has all the drivers and such installed.

Your options are to either install all the drivers you need (start with chipset and networking drivers), or just clone the HDD to the SSD (if it fits) and use that.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

That sounds like what happens when you install Windows to a regular HDD.

Have you ever installed Windows before? You might just need drivers.

I've installed windows before just not in years and I honestly can't think of anything I did differently.

e: Alright no idea what I hosed up but reformatted the drive and did the song and dance a second time and it's good. Only question is if there is an easy way import all my browser settings and mumble and poo poo without having to store it on the SSD?

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 13, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Is the SATA port in AHCI or legacy mode? If you installed Windows with the HDD installed it may have put bootmgr on the other drive which is annoying as hell to fix if you ever have to remove the HDD or it dies. Not sure if they fixed this in 8/8.1.

For browsers you can go to bookmarks->Export then manually arrange them on the new install. For mumble settings I think you can just copy over the folder to \Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\Mumble

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 13, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

cisco privilege posted:

Is the SATA port in AHCI or legacy mode? If you installed Windows with the HDD installed it may have put bootmgr on the other drive which is annoying as hell to fix if you ever have to remove the HDD or it dies. Not sure if they fixed this in 8/8.1.

They sure didn't fix it in 8.1. I had that exact problem after forgetting to unplug the secondary HDD doing an install and later killed the boot partition after formatting the platter drive to get it recognized and writable outside of the BIOS.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

cisco privilege posted:

For browsers you can go to bookmarks->Export then manually arrange them on the new install. For mumble settings I think you can just copy over the folder to \Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\Mumble

They haven't fixed it in 8.1 My bootmgr is on a tiny partition at the start of a Spinpoint F1 which means a 20 second reboot instead of 10. I can't be bothered reinstalling and pulling out the HDD to fix it. If there's an easier way to do it I'd love to know?

Next machine I build will be after USB 3.1 with a single SSD boot drive and any extra storage as removables or network shares.

If you use Chrome sync to your google account or in case your profile becomes corrupted and you need to wipe it, export bookmarks to HTML which gives a single page full of indented links. Then just save it on the bookmarks bar and add each one as you visit them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

cisco privilege posted:

For browsers you can go to bookmarks->Export then manually arrange them on the new install. For mumble settings I think you can just copy over the folder to \Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\Mumble

It did do that originally I reinstalled Windows minus the old HDD to rectify this.

Edit: As a new problem it appears that I can't save steam games on the old drive. It immediately says the drive is set to read only.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 13, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sedisp posted:

What? I thought the standard advice was to unplug all other drives when installing Windows.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Verizian posted:

They haven't fixed it in 8.1 My bootmgr is on a tiny partition at the start of a Spinpoint F1 which means a 20 second reboot instead of 10. I can't be bothered reinstalling and pulling out the HDD to fix it. If there's an easier way to do it I'd love to know?
I can't remember the exact commands offhand but you have to use a Windows disc/USB, and in the recovery console you need to rebuild the boot loader (or preferably copy it over) on the correct drive while marking the drive as primary and bootable. It's arcane and dumb and usually easier just to reinstall Windows. Fixboot supposedly does this but I've never had it work correctly.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had absolutely no issues getting the bootloader written to my SSD with Windows 7 on it after the HDD which contained it originally had to be replaced, it took three restarts to the Windows setup image (fast enough if you have it on USB) but that sure as hell beats reinstalling Windows.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

What? I thought the standard advice was to unplug all other drives when installing Windows.

I've been doing Windows installs for about 21 years.

I don't recall ever having to unplug other drives, first.

Do you have some example scenarios where disconnecting drives would be needed?

Even my current Desktop has 3 physical drives. I've done clean installs of Windows 8.1, 8, 7, and Vista to it without disconnecting anything.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Xenomorph posted:

Even my current Desktop has 3 physical drives. I've done clean installs of Windows 8.1, 8, 7, and Vista to it without disconnecting anything.

Some hardware presents problems and causes the installation to fail and error out when multiple drives are attached, which is fairly common as bugs go. When that doesn't happen, sometimes the bootloader gets placed on a different drive than the install target. Neither of these are universal cases, but both are problems solved by just having one drive plugged in during install.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Xenomorph posted:

Just to add more anecdotes - as recently as installing the 10 Technical Preview, it managed to mark my media drive as Active again and I had to go in, unmark it, and scrub the boot partition off the drive to keep it from fighting with my actual installation. Windows doesn't seem to be able to keep its hands off the other drives in my system even though I'm explicitly telling it the drive to install to during the installation process.

By explicitly, I mean my regular habit is to do a clean install, so I wind up straight up deleting the partitions from the OS drive during the installation process and then telling the installer to make a new partition and install itself on the drive. It doesn't seem like there's much wiggle room there for the installer to think that it's okay to put anything on any other drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Doing initial boot and OS install with the minimum amount of parts is just best practice for avoiding issues and easily tracking down any problematic components.

• Locked thread