Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Halloween Jack posted:

You're pretty much exactly write. He leaned heavily on the "phobe" in xenophobe. Just a nervous wreck who was terrified of everything.

It really makes you wonder how much of his racism was the result of anxiety and other mental issues, rather than ideology. Certainly there was some of both, along with an overbearing upbringing and good old fashioned 100-year-old zeitgeist. Would he have written the same stories if professional help had been available at the time to treat his phobias?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Siivola posted:

There's the Tianxia setting for Fate Core and the Book of Jade for Ironclaw. Oriental Adventures used to have a China-alike way back in the AD&D ages. Besides those, I'm drawing a blank.

Seconding Tianxia, it's probably one of the best wuxia settings out there until Fengshui 2E comes out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It really makes you wonder how much of his racism was the result of anxiety and other mental issues, rather than ideology. Certainly there was some of both, along with an overbearing upbringing and good old fashioned 100-year-old zeitgeist. Would he have written the same stories if professional help had been available at the time to treat his phobias?

Even Lovecraft's contemporaries at the time thought he was crazy racist. It definitely wasn't just him being a product of the time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Even Lovecraft's contemporaries at the time thought he was crazy racist. It definitely wasn't just him being a product of the time.

Of course not, and I didn't say that. But it probably didn't help.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

We can only hope that 80 years from now, our era won't be judged based on some GamerGater who can't get laid but can write a decent horror story.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Of course not, and I didn't say that. But it probably didn't help.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that you were or anything, it's just that while with some period writers you could look at the era they were writing in and go okay, this is kinda racist buuuut this is sorta how people thought back then, doesn't excuse it but it might explain it.

Not so with Lovecraft. That dude was genuinely mental and racist.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that you were or anything, it's just that while with some period writers you could look at the era they were writing in and go okay, this is kinda racist buuuut this is sorta how people thought back then, doesn't excuse it but it might explain it.

Not so with Lovecraft. That dude was genuinely mental and racist.

When talking about their personal lives, Lovecraft's wife wrote in a letter their trip to New York City. Upon arriving, he realized that there were a lot of minorities around the place in comparison to his rural all-white Massachusetts community and got a genuine panic attack as this realization dawned on him.

I may be remembering this wrong, but there was another letter where Lovecraft shared his opinion on Jewish people. Near the end his anecdote sounded like one of those Internet Tough Guy spiels where he "true story for realsies!" got in a fight with 12 Jewish gangsters at once and won.

Someone once said that if Lovecraft where alive today, he'd most likely be a message board/comments section troll.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 10, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
The more I read about this guy, the more I feel...I can't get angry at him over his racism and xenophobia. He just sounds pathetic and sad.

(Says the guy who's in two different Nyarlathotech games and is apping to a third :v: )

head58
Apr 1, 2013

To be fair, all of us from Massachusetts still do that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lovecraft was a miserable, mentally ill person and I sympathize with his mental illness while still finding his views disgusting. That's really all you can do. When I say miserable, I mean everything about the man's life just feels sad.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Libertad! posted:

I may be remembering this wrong, but there was another letter where Lovecraft shared his opinion on Jewish people.

Oddly enough, he also married a Jew, so go figure.

The rampant mental illness does make you feel some sympathy for him though, yeah. It's kind of why I wonder what he would have been like if he had been more, y'know, sane. Maybe he would still be a flaming racist. Maybe not being mortally terrified of strangers would've eventually led him to temper or extinguish whatever ideological prejudice he had. Not to play armchair psychologist or anything, but being exposed to racist influences and then having your sad, anxiety-riddled brain confirm all those disgusting things about other people probably only entrenched and exacerbated those influences.

And, of course, in the end, he withered away from intestinal cancer and died unknown, impoverished and malnourished at the age of 47. Really the only reason we know about him now is because of August Derleth (and pals) bringing it into the spotlight after Lovecraft's death. It really is sad more than anything, I think. :smith:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

And, of course, in the end, he withered away from intestinal cancer and died unknown, impoverished and malnourished at the age of 47. Really the only reason we know about him now is because of August Derleth bringing it into the spotlight after Lovecraft's death. It really is sad more than anything, I think. :smith:

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It always struck me as genuinely fascinating that the two most eccentric and bigoted writers of the Weird Tales pulps, Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, are the ones who's work took off the most. Yes, they were innovators, but still. In comparison, contemporaries who held much more typical beliefs such as Clark Ashton Smith, Manly Wade Wellman, Seabury Quinn have become obscure, even in cases when their work is arguably superior, such as Smith vs Lovecraft.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oddly enough, he also married a Jew, so go figure.

I swear I read somewhere that Lovecraft considered her to be "one of the good ones" (It was in an ST Joshi book, and the actual quote is that his wife, Sonia Greene, was "well assimilated".)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 10, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

It always struck me as genuinely fascinating that the two most eccentric and bigoted writers of the Weird Tales pulps, Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, are the ones who's work took off the most. Yes, they were innovators, but still. In comparison, contemporaries who held much more typical beliefs such as Clark Ashton Smith, Manly Wade Wellman, Seabury Quinn have become obscure, even in cases when their work is arguably superior, such as Smith vs Lovecraft.

I don't know if Clark Ashton Smith should be considered all that obscure; alongside Howard and Lovecraft he's probably the #1 most referenced when it comes to weird fiction. Still, you have a point, because I'm hard pressed to remember particular stories he's written. With the other two, it's easy to pick out one or two stories you remember quite well (Shadow over Innsmouth, Call of Cthulhu, Tower of the Elephant) that have left particular impressions of what might be considered iconically Lovecraftian/Howardian. It perhaps also contributes that both have left legacies that are strongly associated with their influence - the Mythos and Conan the Cimmerian, respectively - and which are reinforced by generations of imitators and extrapolators.

What I'm getting at is that while it is kind of fascinating, I think it can be explained independently of the views of the authors.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Oddly enough, Howard's racist sensibilities actually waned over the years due to his correspondence with Lovecraft. That's right, Lovecraft was so crazy racist that he got someone born and raised in the American South to take a step back and look real hard at his life.

It's sort of like if Lovecraft was a big crazy sponge of racism, absorbing other people's prejudices by just being so Goddamn hateful that it made them think "am anything I like that?"

That's the true horror of Lovecraft :v:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I was under the impression that Howard wasn't exceptionally racist for his time, at pretty much any point in his life.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

If it's any consolation, as a fellow Californian, snow is something we desperately need right now, at least in the mountains.
Yes please send us your unwanted precipitation.

Plague of Hats posted:

No, the Kickstarter was for 3E. The one that's relatively most available is 2E, as far as I've seen. 1E is lost to the mists of tiny mid-80's vanity publishing.

Actually I have a copy right here. It seems to be 2e with worse layout and no cyber and presumably some other changes but I am not gonna compare these things,

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Could always try digging a canal or something.

Tianxia seems like it's the fastest to pick up, though I never did figure out Fate. Guess I had to start sometime. Thanks!

Same system again if I want something for my other favorite (awful) period of Chinese history, the Warlord Era? AKA the "kung fu gangster commie show".

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
As someone born and raised in Atlanta, the chip the Chamber of Commerce implanted in my palm burns in situations like this until I mention that the American South isn't really all that hideously racist anymore, except for the swamp people*.

*South Carolinians

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I am a huge fan of Seabury Quinn's Jules De Grandin stories as well as Talbot Mundy's adventure stories. I've also always understood that Arthur Ward (a/k/a Sax Rohmer) wrote his Fu Manchu stories in a way that made the great white hero, Sir Denis Nayland Smith, and his allies look as incompetent as possible while the good Doctor always won. Smith's sidekick, Dr. Petrie, seemed far more flexible and less racist in his attitudes and ended up never being completely hosed over.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Libertad! posted:

Someone once said that if Lovecraft where alive today, he'd most likely be a message board/comments section troll.

I can see a modern Lovecraft writing anime fanfiction and having meltdowns in RPGnet OSR threads and it works so well :allears:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Plague of Hats posted:

I was under the impression that Howard wasn't exceptionally racist for his time, at pretty much any point in his life.

It's kind of interesting, because Howard was Irish and proud of being Irish... in early 1900s America, where there was still quite a bit of racial discrimination against the Irish. I'm not saying it's comparable to what some other groups have endured or anything, but you'd think being part of a minority group himself would've had some impact on his beliefs about other ethnic groups.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's kind of interesting, because Howard was Irish and proud of being Irish... in early 1900s America, where there was still quite a bit of racial discrimination against the Irish. I'm not saying it's comparable to what some other groups have endured or anything, but you'd think being part of a minority group himself would've had some impact on his beliefs about other ethnic groups.

what would make you think that? the Irish side of my family, especially those who grew up in dust bowl Nebraska, are the most virulently racist people I've ever known.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm back to thinking about my Persona tabletop RPG.

The main choice I'm stuck on is how detailed I want the combat to be. I know I don't want to go full-on tactical 4e combat with it--that doesn't seem consistent with the Persona feeling. What I'm considering is either cyclical initiative with light tactics (basically 13th Age, with rough zones and breaking up most attacks into discrete powers) or just going all-in on making this a PbtA game.

For any of you who'd want to play or GM a Persona RPG: which seems like what you want out of a Persona game more? Would you want lists of powers to choose from as you level up (Agi, Hama, Brave Blade, Hassou Tobi, all those classic skills) with clear combat turns, or would you want things to be a little more abstracted, with some of the more iconic powers turned into more generalized moves and a more cinematic take on combat? I can absolutely see the appeal of both, and I'm having a hard time seeing which would provide a more "Persona" experience for players.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, a given group's own disenfranchisement has never been a special compass towards empathy for others.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You're forgetting that those groups tended to self segregate themselves so that the only people you would typically see were other people exactly like yourself.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grassy gnoll posted:

As someone born and raised in Atlanta, the chip the Chamber of Commerce implanted in my palm burns in situations like this until I mention that the American South isn't really all that hideously racist anymore, except for the swamp people*.

*South Carolinians

Also Mississippi, also Florida, also

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Look, the southern US has to deal with a poisonous legacy of centuries of institutional cruelty, but Florida's not our fault.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair poo poo is just as bad in the northern US, they just get away without being stereotyped for it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

We can only hope that 80 years from now, our era won't be judged based on some GamerGater who can't get laid but can write a decent horror story.
No worries, as far as I can tell GamerGate people are literally only capable of creative works if they in some way involve overtly attacking minority groups, so they are ensuring their historical irrelevance with every passing moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z65s0fqDw4&t=29s

Also while there is obviously racism in the North, if Lovecraft had been a Vermonter maybe things could have worked themselves out. "These disgusting half-breeds DO have excellent soil conservation strategies...and their maple cakes are beyond compare!" Wait now I am doing one of those comic book supervillains Twinkie ads

Hmm, gonna need an out-of-left-field reference to end this post

Oh Ram and Shyam, what won't you do for delicious Parle(tm) brand Poppins(tm)?

remember you must look for the silver stripes on the package to know you are getting authentic Parle(tm) brand Poppins(tm)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

To be fair poo poo is just as bad in the northern US, they just get away without being stereotyped for it.

At least in the Northwest, to say it's an elephant in the room would be an understatement. More like the cufflinks on the Emperor's New Clothes.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
The talk of weird rpgs on the previous page reminded me of something about myself.

I was raised on weird rpgs.

My first RPG Book? Tri-stat Sailor moon. I infact own most of the Guardians of Order catalogue.

Second RPG i ever played? Rifts.

I think the first D20 game i played was in fact D20 modern.

Other notable rpgs i played were Deadlands, Gurps and Hero System. All of which i played before playing Dungeons and Dragons.

I didnt get into Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition until 3 and a half years after i started playing RPGs.

I have more palladium books than i do DnD Books from multiple editions.

A friend told my school principal at the private christian school i went to that he was concerned i was going to be a school shooter. Because i owned a Spycraft book about guns.

I have actually sat down and played the Robocraft RPG.

Looking back on it, im surprised I ever really got into DnD in the first place. I wasnt incredibly fond of 3rd edition, and until i started playing RPGs online and played 4th edition with Maptools, i was not heavily into Traditional Fantasy RPGs. I preferred most other genres.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Plague of Hats posted:

The DBZ RPG is seriously one of those things you read once to your friends so you can all laugh at it, maybe play it once if you all have free time to smear yourselves with poop "just 'cause", and then you never look at it again. That said, the humor in it can be substantial depending on your friends' grasp of basic game design and also simple math.

EDIT: Sorry for trying to unsell your garbage, EM.

I have a tenuous grasp on basic math and i took a look at that book and said "nope".

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Plague of Hats posted:

Yeah, a given group's own disenfranchisement has never been a special compass towards empathy for others.

I suppose you're right about that.

fosborb posted:

the Irish side of my family, especially those who grew up in dust bowl Nebraska, are the most virulently racist people I've ever known.

Well, in the near 100 years since Howard's time attitudes towards the Irish has thankfully improved. There are racists in every ethnic group though, and I'm sorry to hear your family has a bunch of them.

Anyway let's talk about RPGs and not 80 years dead racists.

Harrow posted:

I'm back to thinking about my Persona tabletop RPG.

The main choice I'm stuck on is how detailed I want the combat to be. I know I don't want to go full-on tactical 4e combat with it--that doesn't seem consistent with the Persona feeling. What I'm considering is either cyclical initiative with light tactics (basically 13th Age, with rough zones and breaking up most attacks into discrete powers) or just going all-in on making this a PbtA game.

For any of you who'd want to play or GM a Persona RPG: which seems like what you want out of a Persona game more? Would you want lists of powers to choose from as you level up (Agi, Hama, Brave Blade, Hassou Tobi, all those classic skills) with clear combat turns, or would you want things to be a little more abstracted, with some of the more iconic powers turned into more generalized moves and a more cinematic take on combat? I can absolutely see the appeal of both, and I'm having a hard time seeing which would provide a more "Persona" experience for players.

I think it would be a shame not to include the iconic skills and abilities from the Persona series, and I would be disappointed with the system if it didn't let me, eventually, just up and Megidolaon a motherfucker. That being said, Persona has always worked on the principle of including almost every permutation of element, damage, area of effect etc. as a separate skill. You have Agi, Agilao, Agidyne, Maragi, Maragion, Maragidyne... repeat for every element. Including the physical ones. On one hand, I expect a Persona game to have those skills, but on the other, it makes some of them feel kind of... mechanical and repetitive, and just having a massive matrix of like, "this is what a [target] [element] [strength] spell is called" sounds really boring.

I've never associated Persona games with deep tactical combat (beyond "hit the weakness to get more turns"), so I think you're right not to go the 4E route. But I also think it takes a bit more specificity than the completely cinematic look, so clear combat turns in some way or another is what I'm leaning towards.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Sion posted:

Some friends of mine would like to play a roleplaying game but they stalwartly refuse to tell me what kind of game they are interested in.

Should I just run DnD and go from there or..?

I have gone with Shadowrun.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Sion posted:

Some friends of mine would like to play a roleplaying game but they stalwartly refuse to tell me what kind of game they are interested in.

Should I just run DnD and go from there or..?

My mostly serious suggestion would be Apocalypse World - the combination of playbooks they pick will tell you what the game is about. (You might want the "bloodless" playbooks - i.e. the ones without the sex moves).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a general design musing on healing and the "15-minute workday": how about just making combats self-contained?

It occurred to me that WoW has undergone many, sometimes major revisions to its mechanics such that every fight almost always starts with the characters at full health and mana and all their abilities readied, but the game doesn't really have a problem with generating tension and difficulty, although all the tension and difficulty is just inside the fights themselves.

If an RPG already does this, I'm probably just missing it, but it seems like it'd cut a lot of the cruft out of things like recharge mechanics and spell availability, and especially the gameplay vs versimilitude tug-of-war of "well why CAN'T we rest here?!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a general design musing on healing and the "15-minute workday": how about just making combats self-contained?

It occurred to me that WoW has undergone many, sometimes major revisions to its mechanics such that every fight almost always starts with the characters at full health and mana and all their abilities readied, but the game doesn't really have a problem with generating tension and difficulty, although all the tension and difficulty is just inside the fights themselves.

If an RPG already does this, I'm probably just missing it, but it seems like it'd cut a lot of the cruft out of things like recharge mechanics and spell availability, and especially the gameplay vs versimilitude tug-of-war of "well why CAN'T we rest here?!"
This is pretty much exactly what I have always done because trying to create a sense of urgency via attrition is near impossible. Players are generally really good about knowing where to "pop their cooldowns" so to speak, and there's really no way to trick them into doing so and keep going afterwards without some seriously contrived poo poo.

It'd be very tempting if I still gave a poo poo about 3e D&D (or D&D in general) to convert every caster to psionic style power points but that would be an assload of work for basically no benefit.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

There is a catch there: namely that the tension is either the product of a build over the duration of the fight or through the fight itself being dynamic and undergoing multiple changes to how it operates. If you have tension in a short sprint, it's mostly due to the fact that there's some sort of aggressive time limit. How do you fit that into a genre where people tend to chastise games for having combats that 'take too long'?

It's also worth considering that in an MMO, players can be regularly pushed to the edge of their capability, because it's easy to pick back up and have another go when the first one fails. In tabletop it's a lot harder to do, because overstepping that boundary means death, and that's at best a much larger time sink.. and rare is the encounter that can be done (or that players want to do) twice.

It's certainly doable, but it's a lot harder to do right than leaning on attrition and resource management to do the dirty work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Yawgmoth posted:

It'd be very tempting if I still gave a poo poo about 3e D&D (or D&D in general) to convert every caster to psionic style power points but that would be an assload of work for basically no benefit.

Unearthed Arcana took a swing at that back in the day: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedSpellPoints.html

• Locked thread