Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also still liking how at Yuuhei Bakugou is only vaguely impressive despite his quirk due to his lovely attitude, where Midoriya seems to have the respect of his entire class because he's humble and nice despite being very obviously one of the most powerful kids in the class. If this was any other shounen he'd still be the picked on nerdo and somehow no one would believe he had super powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KoB posted:

Its better than all the FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCYFUCKs in this comic for children :shrug:

Not really? That's pretty appropriate language for him.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Not really? That's pretty appropriate language for him.

I think its stupid to change the tone so much.

Your "appropriate tone" is based entirely off their "localization" and not the character itself. I'd rather it be true to the original work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, again, comic for children.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fabricated posted:

Also still liking how at Yuuhei Bakugou is only vaguely impressive despite his quirk due to his lovely attitude, where Midoriya seems to have the respect of his entire class because he's humble and nice despite being very obviously one of the most powerful kids in the class. If this was any other shounen he'd still be the picked on nerdo and somehow no one would believe he had super powers.

I liked that the teacher called him out for acting like an 8 year old immediately instead of letting it continue

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Valentine's, of course. It's fun to see these characters doing random stuff.

(Apparently Momo's holding seaweed)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, again, comic for children.

To be perfectly fair, how many children will actually read said unofficial translation of this comic for children?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

To be perfectly fair, how many children will actually read said unofficial translation of this comic for children?

We were talking about the differences between the official translation and the fan translation, weren't we?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyte posted:

Valentine's, of course. It's fun to see these characters doing random stuff.

(Apparently Momo's holding seaweed)

The picture is incomplete without a mixing bowl or spoon floating in the air.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing that whatever he's doing isn't going to work and he won't get the headband back. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm just not feeling like it's going to happen.

edit: Maybe he'll unintentionally kill Todoroki by caving in his skull.

Either he ends up with the headband of team Endo-Ectothermic or in the struggle both headbands get destroyed. I'm betting on both headbands getting destroyed and Bakugou destroying all the others in his rage attack. With everyone at zero an alternative scoring method will have to be used. Copycat pushed the envelope way to far, Bakugou ain't the type of guy you needlessly taunt.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

We were talking about the differences between the official translation and the fan translation, weren't we?

Yeah. And because the intended audience of the fan translation is presumably a bunch of adult nerds I don't mind the use of swear words.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gyges posted:

Either he ends up with the headband of team Endo-Ectothermic or in the struggle both headbands get destroyed. I'm betting on both headbands getting destroyed and Bakugou destroying all the others in his rage attack. With everyone at zero an alternative scoring method will have to be used. Copycat pushed the envelope way to far, Bakugou ain't the type of guy you needlessly taunt.

If you destroy all the formations then the headbands won't matter right? They would need to be reformed to make points count.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't know how you can see Bakugou, read him cursing up a storm, and think "No that doesn't fit at all." Kid is like the angriest fictional character I've ever seen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It doesn't really bother me as much as say, the random cursing in One Piece scans does, because it's Bakugou and because that fits him. But of course it's not gonna be in the official translation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's cursing fits him really.

Also, I hope copycat kid doesn't touch Midoriya. I have a feeling that wouldn't end very well for him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hoping a defeat at this juncture is finally what it takes to shake Bakugou out of being an unapologetic rear end all the time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Hoping a defeat at this juncture is finally what it takes to shake Bakugou out of being an unapologetic rear end all the time.

Why would you ever want that? Bakugou is the best BECAUSE he's an unapologetic rear end all the time.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Man, thinking about it, Copy's a huge double-edged sword in this setting. Many quirks have pretty big limitations or drawbacks that the users themselves are familiar with, but someone with Copy may not know them instinctively. Sure, some quirks are pretty straightforward in their use, or simply toggle between on and off, but something like Deku's quirk could kill him if he doesn't know that you can't push it. :stare:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tlarn posted:

Man, thinking about it, Copy's a huge double-edged sword in this setting. Many quirks have pretty big limitations or drawbacks that the users themselves are familiar with, but someone with Copy may not know them instinctively. Sure, some quirks are pretty straightforward in their use, or simply toggle between on and off, but something like Deku's quirk could kill him if he doesn't know that you can't push it. :stare:

Is Copy guy also the guy who was going around stealing everyone's stuff without them knowing?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

tlarn posted:

Welllll All might said that depended on your physiology.
But yeah he might try to super charge his entire body and end up as a bowl of jelly orbiting the earth.

But what if he mixed Eijirou's(hardening) and Midoriya's?

Ytlaya posted:

Is Copy guy also the guy who was going around stealing everyone's stuff without them knowing?

Yup.
Look at his smug face, he cant not be.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But yeah he might try to super charge his entire body and end up as a bowl of jelly orbiting the earth.

He cant use two at once.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

He can, I think, only use one power at a time, but he's surrounded by so many quirks right now that he can discard and draw in quick succession.

Which also means that in say, a one on one fight, he might actually be at more of a disadvantage, since the opponent could run down the clock until he can no lonfer match them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TriffTshngo posted:

Why would you ever want that? Bakugou is the best BECAUSE he's an unapologetic rear end all the time.

Because if he just stays an rear end for the length of the manga it'll eventually overstay it's welcome and he'll become the new Sasuke - with the manga rewarding him for repeatedly making terrible decisions and being a gigantic rear end in a top hat while the audience (here at least) grows more and more weary of it. Having him learn to reign in his anger a bit and when to let things go, while he stays kind of an angry rear end in a top hat in general would be far more enjoyable.

Also, I'm pretty sure All Might tasked Deku with winning every stage to announce himself to the world, not just winning overall, so I can't imagine him losing because Deku's drive (and the mangas in general right now) is not just meeting, but exceeding All Might's expectations and becoming a worthy successor to him.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 10, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The difference between Sasuke and Bakugou is that while they are both assholes, Bakugou hasn't really been rewarded for it. His classmates don't respect him all that much, and in the Heroes vs Villains test, he was punished for being an rear end in a top hat by having it be the reason he failed. I agree that it's for the best if he mellow down eventually, because he needs to realize that he's in the big boy pool now and he's not the hot poo poo he thought he was.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yup.
Look at his smug face, he cant not be.

I wonder how his quirk allowed him to steal from people without them noticing. It's certainly an extremely powerful quirk (even if you acknowledge its downsides it still allows him to put up a good fight against almost anyone, especially if he's in a team with other heroes who he can borrow from freely), but I'm not making the connection between it and people mysteriously losing their headbands without noticing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He hasn't been rewarded for it yet, but if he's to remain relevant for the remainder of the manga (and I think we all want that right now), then it's going to have to start rewarding him eventually. What would be worse would be for the manga to continue to not reward him, while trying to push him as important to both Deku and the events of the story because he'd eventually just become a bad joke going that route. I'm aware a good middle ground would be for the best, but if Bakugou never learned while the story did start rewarding him, even occasionally it would be veering in to that Sasuke territory. Especially if Deku continues to view him as both a friend and rival.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TriffTshngo posted:

Maybe if he'd earned it, or had some other endearing qualities. As is, he's a spoiled brat who won the superpower lottery and uses his special position in society to belittle everyone beneath him while despising anyone better than him.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
UPDATED QUIRKS OF CLASS 1A

KNOWN QUIRKS

Yaoyorozu Momo (Vice-President)

Kanji - 八百万百
Translation - Eight Hundred (八百) / One Million (万百)
Figurative meaning - Versatility / Endless possibilities
Quirk - Creation: Ability to create any inorganic organic or inorganic object (so long as it's not a living thing), so long as she understands the object's atomic configuration.
Weaknesses: Creation of large objects destroys her clothes (although she can just make new ones). Primary provider of fan-service. Main focus of Grapeboy's attentions.

Asui Tsuyu (Frog Girl)

Kanji - 蛙吹梅雨
Translation - Frog (蛙) / Rain (雨)
Quirk - Frog form. Does anything a frog can. Makes sense!

Uraraka Ochako (Gravity Girl)

Kanji - 麗日お茶子
Translation - Her name comes from ウラビティ (uravity), グラビティ (gravity) without the "g", making Ura (麗, urara), bi (日, that can also be read as ka), tea (茶, read as cha).
Quirk - Zero Gravity
Weaknesses: Becomes nauseous if she overuses her ability. Pouts when Midoriya praises other girls.

Mineta Minoru (Grapeboy)

Kanji - 峰田実
Translation - Fertile fields (峰田) Berry (実)
Quirk - Sticky Grapes
Weaknesses: Bleeds from head if he overuses his ability. Incorrigible pervert.

Bakugou Katsuki (rear end in a top hat)

Kanji - 爆豪勝己
Translation - Explosion (爆) / Pride (豪) / Victory (勝己)
Quirk - Explosion
Weaknesses: Big mouth and bigger ego writes cheques that his abilities can't always cash.

Todoroki Shouto (Icyhot)

Kanji - 轟焦凍
Translation - Roar (轟) / Burned (焦) / Frozen (凍)
Quirk - Fire and Ice
Weaknesses: Daddy issues at least the size of Prince Zuko's. Refuses to use the flaming half of his abilities as a matter of principle.

IIda Tenya (Emergency Exit)

Kanji - 飯田天哉
Translation - His name comes from 韋駄天 (read as Idaten) meaning "great runner".
Quirk - Engine
Special move - "Reciprocating Burst": A moment of ultra-speed at the cost of immobility afterwards.
Weaknesses - High speed does not come with high agility.

Kaminari Denki (Lightning Boy)

Kanji - 上鳴電気
Translation - Thunder (上鳴) / Lightning (電気)
Quirk - Static Buildup
Weaknesses - Overuse of his power turns him into a moron for several minutes.

Kirishima Eijirou (Akumetsu Boy)

Kanji - 切島鋭児郎
Translation - Cut (切) / Sharp (鋭)
Quirk - Hardening
Weaknesses - Least flashy Quirk in the class. Quirk is not unique to him (see TetsuX4). Actually respects Bakugou for some reason.

Jirou Kyouka (Earphone Girl)

Kanji - 耳郎響香
Translation - Ear (耳) / Resonance (響)
Quirk - Earring Jacks

Aoyama Yuuga (Navelgun Boy)

Kanji - 青山優雅
Translation - 優雅 (Elegance)
Quirk - Navel Laser
Weaknesses - Stomach collapses if he uses his power for more than 1 minute at a stretch.

Hagakure Tooru (Invisible Girl)

Kanji - 葉隠透
Translation - Hidden (隠) / See-through (透)
Quirk - Invisibility
Weaknesses - Quirk is incompatible with the wearing of clothes.

Shouji Mezou (Tentacle Replicant Boy)

Kanji - 障子目蔵
Translation - His name comes from "壁に耳あり障子に目あり" "walls have ears, doors have eyes".
Quirk - Replicant Tentacles

Ashido Mina (Ant Girl)

Kanji - 芦戸三奈
Translation - Reed (芦)
Other possible word-play - Ashido sounds like "acid"
Quirk - Ant-form, including formic acid? Something that can dissolve concrete. Probably an acid attack of some sort

Tokoyami Fumikage (Bird Boy)

Kanji - 常闇踏陰
Translation - 闇 (Darkness) / 陰 (Shade)
Quirk - Flight and stealth / creation of darkness and shadows? Sentient shadow-bird
Weaknesses - Shadow-bird is stronger but more unruly in darkness, and docile but weaker in bright light

Sero Hanta (Nondescript Tape Boy)

Kanji - 瀬呂繁太
Translation - His name is a pun on "セロハンテープ" (serohantēpu) meaning "cellophane tape".
Quirk - Sticking things to other things? Shoot out sticky tape from his elbows

UNKNOWN QUIRKS

Satou Rikidou (Thick Lips)

Kanji - 砂藤力道
Translation - 藤 (Vine) / 力道 (Force )
Quirk - Enhanced strength?

Kouda Kouji (Rock Boy)

Kanji - 口田甲司
Translation - Mouth (口)
Quirk - Swallowing things?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 10, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

Maybe if he'd earned it, or had some other endearing qualities. As is, he's a spoiled brat who won the superpower lottery and uses his special position in society to belittle everyone beneath him while despising anyone better than him.
Or he's just a different take on Todoroki. Instead of an rear end in a top hat overbearing father pressuring him, he's putting pressure on himself because his quirk is so good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

Because if he just stays an rear end for the length of the manga it'll eventually overstay it's welcome and he'll become the new Sasuke - with the manga rewarding him for repeatedly making terrible decisions and being a gigantic rear end in a top hat while the audience (here at least) grows more and more weary of it. Having him learn to reign in his anger a bit and when to let things go, while he stays kind of an angry rear end in a top hat in general would be far more enjoyable.

Well sure I mean obviously he should have some character growth, I just meant I don't want him to do the shonen rival thing of starting off hostile and eventually just being buds with everyone because that kind of ruins what's unique about him compared to your Sasukes and Piccolos and the like.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TriffTshngo posted:

Well sure I mean obviously he should have some character growth, I just meant I don't want him to do the shonen rival thing of starting off hostile and eventually just being buds with everyone because that kind of ruins what's unique about him compared to your Sasukes and Piccolos and the like.
Funny enough DBZ is still one of the best series for heel-turned-face characters. Piccolo and Vegeta are two of the best characters in the series and both are handled in a completely different way.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

At the beginning Midoriya and Bakugou were both heavily, incredibly representive of their respective shonen tropes, Shy boy protagonist and overconfident brat rival, So I can see the concern over either, though concern over midoriya might be misplaced since its plenty obvious hes not going to stay the same.

But Bakugou has already started to slowly break that mold. Hes always going to be an ambitious, egoistic hothead because that is a cornerstone of his personality but the way he interacts with the world and others is definitely going to change.

Pre-yuuei Bakugou would definitely not have worked as well as he does now in the horse match.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 10, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TriffTshngo posted:

Sasuke was never best buds with Naruto though, at least not that I recall - though I never did finish the last 10 or 20 chapters of the manga (gave up after Kakashi got new eyes from a ghost if I recall, should finish it sometime for the sake of it). And if Bakugou is going to be anyone in Dragonball, it'll be Vegeta - eventual acceptance of his relative strength to the main character and all. He's really not all that unique a character, even just confining it to shonen stories.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how his quirk allowed him to steal from people without them noticing. It's certainly an extremely powerful quirk (even if you acknowledge its downsides it still allows him to put up a good fight against almost anyone, especially if he's in a team with other heroes who he can borrow from freely), but I'm not making the connection between it and people mysteriously losing their headbands without noticing.

It's probably the quirk of someone on his team, which he or they can use mostly at will. If he wasn't such a gloating rear end about it he actually would have succeeded in creating maybe the strongest team and outright winning. He seems to be the Bakugou of class B, with everyone else in his class currently wishing he hadn't decided to be so showy about showing up class A.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This thread is making me hate this manga.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Bad Seafood posted:

He always seemed to be well on the path to be a super villain instead of a hero. Given the setting, picking on someone with no quirk would be like someone in our world flipping over people in wheelchairs and mocking them for not being able to walk.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm now all caught up on this, and it is rad. Also anyone hating on Bakugou is dumb. He's every bit as good as the rest of the characters. About the only character who's kind of weak so far is Momo, really. It's not really that she's the fanservice character, because I think that's handled reasonably well and it feels like she owns it well enough, but more that her design is just pretty normal in a series with people like Tsuyu, Bakugou, birdman, ant girl, and Grape. That being said, she hasn't really had any screen time outside of fights, so I'm not too worried, but she doesn't have a personality or look that is really attention grabbing outside of the obvious. It's cool that her training montage was studying, given her quirk, but that's not as funny as ear plug weightlifting, etc. Hopefully she'll become something more than just a generically cool and competent side character.

Also Grape is going to lose his poo poo if he ever meets Mt. Lady.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

Also Grape is going to lose his poo poo if he ever meets Mt. Lady.

Especially since Mt. Lady has no qualms about using fanservice to get what she wants (like free takoyaki, which she's shown eating in the same chapter).

Echoing my love for Bakugou.

Also I have no problems with the fangroup's translations, since the only one who appears to be cussing with impunity is Bakugou, and I feel like it works given the guy's personality. Also I just love the phrase "I'm mad loving calm." It's beautiful.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly high school kids can have incredibly foul mouths, if anything the only unrealistic part of this is bakugou being the only one :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

A Bystander posted:

The one-shot from 2008 that the story was based on got posted: http://bato.to/read/_/303021/boku-no-hero-academia_by_fallen-angels/1

Midoriya as an adult with a different name and an occupation as a salaryman.

I remember this when it was printed in the last volume of Oumagadoki, and then when Snipe made it in that group shot in Academia it was a fantastic callback.