Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just did a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Louisgod posted:

I like Peach and Zelda's throws; literally jump on people with your rear end or fire gun magic with your fingers, respectively.

Peach's rear end is a lethal weapon.

I did always find it strange, though, that Mario doesn't butt-slam people in smash. He's been butt-pouncing on enemies since Super Mario 64.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Fhate posted:

I did always find it strange, though, that Mario doesn't butt-slam people in smash. He's been butt-pouncing on enemies since Super Mario 64.
It would certainly make more sense as a Down B than FLUDD which he used in all of one game, prior to Brawl.

It's awful. Sonic 2006 gets *favorable comparisons* to Sonic Boom.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 10, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Chaltab posted:

It's awful. Sonic 2006 gets *favorable comparisons* to Sonic Boom.

Then those people are idiots. Sonic Boom is terrible, but Sonic 06 is numerous times worse.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

RIP Marth's elasti-arms

Melee Yoshi looks like he was exposed to some weird chemicals in the womb

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Melee Yoshi looks like he was exposed to some weird chemicals in the womb

Yoshi in general looks like that

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
nintendo's smash servers were down so i figured i would do some of smash wii u's classic mode

wow it's bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

nintendo's smash servers were down so i figured i would do some of smash wii u's classic mode

wow it's bad.

This is Sakurai's vision

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ometeotl posted:

Then those people are idiots. Sonic Boom is terrible, but Sonic 06 is numerous times worse.

Sonic 06 comes across like there's nothing that can be done to fix... any of it. Sonic Boom feels like it has potential and it's ALL wasted. But like with a good team you could make that into a good game. I mean visually it's pretty nice (barring the horrible way they handled camera transitioning in the cutscenes). Sonic 06 is jut a mess that can't be saved. I think that's why Sonic Boom is worse. Sonic 06 has no potential. Sonic Boom has potential and wastes it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just want every character to have a guaranteed follow-up after a grab. Marth/Lucina is horrendous on the count that it's both a no-follow up move and extremely low damage. There are grabs that do over 10% without a pummel. At least let an up-throw combo into nair at low percentage.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tae posted:

I just want every character to have a guaranteed follow-up after a grab. Marth/Lucina is horrendous on the count that it's both a no-follow up move and extremely low damage. There are grabs that do over 10% without a pummel. At least let an up-throw combo into nair at low percentage.

If bowser can't have them, then nobody should, in my opinion.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hello Smash friends I have been playing this game lots .

I main villager, got 7th in a 26 man local event with customs on, I could probably have placed higher but I came up in losers vs a training partner who mains palutena which is like a mega hard counter. Another training partner took 2nd! Prize pool was ~£100 for first so decent money!
I made a video from my friendlies play, this is older stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd94cWhiL28 and I'll be uploading a customs based one soon. Longer clips because it shows the quality of the gameplay better and much less rolling.

I think customs are neat, but my reservation was mostly that I'd be wasting my time learning them. That said I really do hope they make it to competitive because the game will be more hype and more characters should be viable, of course having banned customs would suck and really bring it down. Who knows.

I reckon that pushy loid, timber counter and explosive balloon ride are the ones - but I'll get footage for that as soon as tomorrow probably, just need to figure out another inspired song.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IronicDongz posted:

RIP Marth's elasti-arms

Jesus. :stare:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

If bowser can't have them, then nobody should, in my opinion.

Bowser gets an 11% throw so he can't complain about poo poo. :v:

And also his pivot grab range is a foot longer than his arm :v

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
As someone who doesn't care about watching smash played competitively, are grabs like, really overpowered? Or does it require a stupid metagame like wavedashing for marginal increases because Smash Bros is a competitve game guys. Gotta min max yer yoshi's.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Macaluso posted:

Sonic 06 comes across like there's nothing that can be done to fix... any of it. Sonic Boom feels like it has potential and it's ALL wasted. But like with a good team you could make that into a good game. I mean visually it's pretty nice (barring the horrible way they handled camera transitioning in the cutscenes). Sonic 06 is jut a mess that can't be saved. I think that's why Sonic Boom is worse. Sonic 06 has no potential. Sonic Boom has potential and wastes it.
I think Sonic 06 could have been a great game if Sega had given the team the time to actually finish it. Sonic Boom, OTOH, even if it weren't a buggy mess, would still be a boring interminable hand-holdy chore.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

As someone who doesn't care about watching smash played competitively, are grabs like, really overpowered? Or does it require a stupid metagame like wavedashing for marginal increases because Smash Bros is a competitve game guys. Gotta min max yer yoshi's.

This is incoherent lol

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

in a traditional smash brother you hit a button (or two buttons) and you grab a man, and then they are seized and at your mercy. in Smash 4 you can hit three buttons (!!!) to grab a little further, on some of the men and women of smash.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Grabs are fast, hard to punish, and you can do them out of your shield.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Chaltab posted:

I think Sonic 06 could have been a great game if Sega had given the team the time to actually finish it. Sonic Boom, OTOH, even if it weren't a buggy mess, would still be a boring interminable hand-holdy chore.

if they had been given the time to finish it it still would have featured an incoherent time travel plot that culminates into a woman with half of a tan kissing sonic the hedgehog to bring him back to life. the level design would still be trash, the art direction would still be awful, the music would still be aggressively mediocre (except for the character themes), and nothing would make any more sense. the only difference is that it wouldn't be as hilariously glitchy as it is, although given sonic games' history with glitches it would probably still have some funny stuff in there. it's a bad game throughout.

sonic boom: rise of lyric is also a really bad and glitchy game that at the very least has some genuinely funny dialogue and character interaction in the cutscenes (i'm not talking about the lovely repetitive incidental dialogue that happens when you pick up a ring or hit a bounce pad or w/e). there's also lots of evidence that the game was intended to be very different from what we got and there were some behind the scenes problems at the studio that we don't yet know the details of. a better team could have made it into the mediocre licensed platformer that everyone thought it was going to be instead of the hilariously broken mess we actually got.

i love super smash bros.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reiley posted:

in a traditional smash brother you hit a button (or two buttons) and you grab a man, and then they are seized and at your mercy. in Smash 4 you can hit three buttons (!!!) to grab a little further, on some of the men and women of smash.

Pressing three buttons is insanely difficult for me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bowser gets an 11% throw so he can't complain about poo poo. :v:

And also his pivot grab range is a foot longer than his arm :v

his down, forward, and back throws do 12% if they are not stale.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mabels big day posted:

Pressing three buttons is insanely difficult for me.

I wanna play Smash with the Genesis controller

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Reiley posted:

Forgive me for being smash illiterate but what is this about 3 buttons being a different grab? Is this referencing a dash turnaround grab?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
:siren: the amiibo update for Smash 3DS invalidates your replays again :siren:

Also sharing of photos and Mii Fighters too

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Glimm posted:

Forgive me for being smash illiterate but what is this about 3 buttons being a different grab? Is this referencing a dash turnaround grab?

Roll cancelled grabs too

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Just mash buttons

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

:siren: the amiibo update for Smash 3DS invalidates your replays again :siren:

Also sharing of photos and Mii Fighters too

Aside from that, it looks like nothing of value was changed

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharrrk posted:

if they had been given the time to finish it it still would have featured an incoherent time travel plot that culminates into a woman with half of a tan kissing sonic the hedgehog to bring him back to life. the level design would still be trash, the art direction would still be awful, the music would still be aggressively mediocre (except for the character themes), and nothing would make any more sense. the only difference is that it wouldn't be as hilariously glitchy as it is, although given sonic games' history with glitches it would probably still have some funny stuff in there. it's a bad game throughout.

sonic boom: rise of lyric is also a really bad and glitchy game that at the very least has some genuinely funny dialogue and character interaction in the cutscenes (i'm not talking about the lovely repetitive incidental dialogue that happens when you pick up a ring or hit a bounce pad or w/e). there's also lots of evidence that the game was intended to be very different from what we got and there were some behind the scenes problems at the studio that we don't yet know the details of. a better team could have made it into the mediocre licensed platformer that everyone thought it was going to be instead of the hilariously broken mess we actually got.

i love super smash bros.

tl;dr

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

whalestory posted:

Just mash buttons

literally what every pro melee player sdoes

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

thanks bef

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Grab beats shield, shield beats attack, attack beats grab. Some characters have pretty good grabs but no they're not really overpowered. Marth's is sort of a weird case of his standing grab being just sort of ridiculously good but without it he'd be a pretty lackluster character.

Marth being the main example of good grabs tends to get bonked by aggressive playstyles since Marth essentially gains grabs off of bad defensive spacing (conditioning people to block fsmash punishes, then grabbing when they shield to block a nonexistent fsmash), so it's just a matter of understanding what option beats it at any given moment.

Grabs in Smash 4 are legitimately good though because defense is so powerful that in the current meta grabbing becomes the go-to offensive option. This is exacerbated by pummel being a very good way of refreshing stale moves. Of course whiffing a grab is punishable and grabbing isn't always the best option, but that's pretty much its function.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheKingofSprings posted:

Aside from that, it looks like nothing of value was changed

If nothing was changed, then why the gently caress were replays deleted again?

As it is it just feels like a bad joke. "You can finally share your replays! Let us congratulate by deleting them all so you can never actually share them!"

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Shadow Sneak was slightly changed again according to reddit/smashboards, which is why Replays don't work.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

laplace posted:

Shadow Sneak was slightly changed again according to reddit/smashboards, which is why Replays don't work.

You can't do a running or shielding Shadow Sneak anymore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
SONIC TIP:

After knocking your opponent high up, the "traditional" strategy with Sonic is to chase them up there using double jumps and/or spring jump, and try to hit them off the top with U-air or snipe with a b-air or whatever. However, success with this strategy is dependent on numerous factors, such as relative jump heights, fall speeds, and air maneuverability, and is pretty safely countered by predicting Sonic's attack and airdodging or strafing to safety.

Furthermore, "Spring Chasing" (as the above-described technique will henceforth be referred to) is considerably less effective, and less safe, when attempting to fight offstage, especially against high-recovering opponents (i.e. Jigglypuff). If one were to draw a simple diagram of where Sonic's air game and gimp game actually work, it would exclude a good portion of the top-left and top-right corners of the stage.

...that is, until you learn to master that most underestimated of Sonic's abilities: the Homing Attack.

While the Homing Attack's behavior can be idiosyncratic, once you learn the radius for its lock-on and how the attack behaves, it becomes very powerful against opponents, especially against enemies above you. At the percentages when opponents will be recovering from the top corners or from above the screen border, a successful hit with the Homing Attack against offstage or high-above-stage opponents will likely KO! Furthermore, the timing is hard to air-dodge against, especially once you factor in Sonic's ability to reduce the windup time by tapping B mid-move at the cost of a little damage and knockback.

So yeah. Mix up your game and improve your stage coverage by learning how to Homing Attack.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Even if you don't go to tournaments but you like to watch them, cast your vote on whether you'd like to see custom moves legal!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

Even if you don't go to tournaments but you like to watch them, cast your vote on whether you'd like to see custom moves legal!

I voted yes and recirculated it to a bunch of people to do the same.

This absolutely should be the standard as far as I'm concerned.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Maple Leaf posted:

Lmao "excluding those that are banworthy". Since custom moves have had so much tournament time so far, let's go ahead and imply that some are banworthy to skew the results of the poll positively towards "yes".

E: The problem is simply logistics. If there was a single character that required 5000 hrs of game runtime to unlock it wouldn't be used in tournaments until someone found a good way to manage it logistically.

The default custom loadouts project is a great idea like setting the first 8 custom character slots to 1/1/1/1, 2/2/2/2, 3/3/3/3 etc but the moves are still loving aggrandizing and timewasting to unlock. Even on a single 3ds to transfer character builds to Wii U setups.

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 10, 2015

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

SONIC TIP:

After knocking your opponent high up, the "traditional" strategy with Sonic is to chase them up there using double jumps and/or spring jump, and try to hit them off the top with U-air or snipe with a b-air or whatever. However, success with this strategy is dependent on numerous factors, such as relative jump heights, fall speeds, and air maneuverability, and is pretty safely countered by predicting Sonic's attack and airdodging or strafing to safety.

Furthermore, "Spring Chasing" (as the above-described technique will henceforth be referred to) is considerably less effective, and less safe, when attempting to fight offstage, especially against high-recovering opponents (i.e. Jigglypuff). If one were to draw a simple diagram of where Sonic's air game and gimp game actually work, it would exclude a good portion of the top-left and top-right corners of the stage.

...that is, until you learn to master that most underestimated of Sonic's abilities: the Homing Attack.

While the Homing Attack's behavior can be idiosyncratic, once you learn the radius for its lock-on and how the attack behaves, it becomes very powerful against opponents, especially against enemies above you. At the percentages when opponents will be recovering from the top corners or from above the screen border, a successful hit with the Homing Attack against offstage or high-above-stage opponents will likely KO! Furthermore, the timing is hard to air-dodge against, especially once you factor in Sonic's ability to reduce the windup time by tapping B mid-move at the cost of a little damage and knockback.

So yeah. Mix up your game and improve your stage coverage by learning how to Homing Attack.

My favorite thing about the Homing Attack is when Sonics I'm fighting try to use it offstage for an easy recovery, only to plummet to their death because I moved a foot to the right. I like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Lmao "excluding those that are banworthy". Since custom moves have had so much tournament time so far, let's go ahead and imply that some are banworthy to skew the results of the poll positively towards "yes".

E: The problem is simply logistics. If there was a single character that required 5000 hrs of game runtime to unlock it wouldn't be used in tournaments until someone found a good way to manage it logistically.

The default custom loadouts project is a great idea like setting the first 8 custom character slots to 1/1/1/1, 2/2/2/2, 3/3/3/3 etc but the moves are still loving aggrandizing and timewasting to unlock. Even on a single 3ds to transfer character builds to Wii U setups.

You are right, but it also needs to be done just once on a 3DS, and its not like the competitive scene has a shortage of time on their hands. :v:

Additionally, not all of the moves necessarily need to be unlocked, which I think was partially the intent behind the custom moveset project that was started a number of months ago. Some moves are just kind of worthless in their competitive applications or are just worse than the default.

E: and apparently Action Replay 3ds/save editing is now a thing? That makes unlocking customs actually pretty drat easy.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 10, 2015

• Locked thread