Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Evil_Greven posted:

Looks like video changes another outcome.

Some guy got pulled over on his scooter and they stepped out with batons, so he was afraid and fled. He's on a loving scooter so of course they caught him.

Then they beat the hell out of him, alleging he had assaulted them and his injuries were from the fight. Fortunately, the poor guy's girlfriend tracked down a surveillance video that shows the whole thing,

Now he's clear of all charges, awarded $200k for pain and suffering, and these cops are getting charged.
Philadelphia is like the Florida of police departments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Did they pull him over? When I watched that video, it looked to me like they hit him with their car.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ImAMinister posted:

Did they pull him over? When I watched that video, it looked to me like they hit him with their car.

They did.

Those two cops have that "serial killer" look to them. I wouldn't be surprised if someone stumbled upon a body or three.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That seems like an awfully good resolution to that situation overall, with him getting a settlement and the cops getting arrested and charged.

What is amiss?

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Vahakyla posted:

That seems like an awfully good resolution to that situation overall, with him getting a settlement and the cops getting arrested and charged.

What is amiss?

The fact that it happened at all?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

peengers posted:

The fact that it happened at all?

And the fact that it takes video evidence of wrongdoing to turn "resisting arrest" and "assault of a police officer" into "beaten for fleeing cops using who were using the threat of violence from moment 1"? Or the fact that it took two years after the man's arrest for anything to come of it, because his girlfriend hunted down the footage that no one on the cops' side even seemed interested in finding to investigate the "official" story?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah you can't say the system works when it took a private citizen to do the actual investigation that found the real criminals.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Sounds like that system works perfectly well. Just not for us.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

What is amiss?

I have a question for you. After you read the article, what in the whole processes stood out as "good" to you? Not talking about the outcome/resolution. I'm talking about the whole processes before the officers were brought to justice and this guy went through hell for 2 years.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

Yeah you can't say the system works when it took a private citizen to do the actual investigation that found the real criminals.

So you're saying the system works!

I'm not sure why we have a chosen a system in which only unquestionable video evidence dug up by a private citizen can force the cops to actually investigate two of their own for instigating a confrontation and beating an innocent man then charging him with crimes for his own beating, but as we can see this system inarguably works!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

tezcat posted:

I have a question for you. After you read the article, what in the whole processes stood out as "good" to you? Not talking about the outcome/resolution. I'm talking about the whole processes before the officers were brought to justice and this guy went through hell for 2 years.

Considering the usual course of similar situations, I'd call this an overall win. Considering that the DA and the Chief of Police are both trashing the cops in their speeches, I'd call that a pretty good outcome compared to the way the strangler of Eric Garner or Darren Wilson were defended.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 8, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Considering the usual course of similar situations, I'd call this an overall win. Considering that the DA and the Chief of Police are both trashing the cops in their speeches, I'd call that a pretty good outcome compared to the way the strangler of Eric Garner or Darren Wilson were defended.

Despite the outcome, which is as good as it can be given the circumstances, you specifically asked what is amiss.

Can you really not see the issue at hand? Do you really see nothing wrong with the entire ordeal?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Taeke posted:

Despite the outcome, which is as good as it can be given the circumstances, you specifically asked what is amiss.

Can you really not see the issue at hand? Do you really see nothing wrong with the entire ordeal?

I asked "what is amiss" by meaning that the outcome seems deceptively decent when compared to other current similar events. I'm silently expecting these cops to be reinstated or some poo poo.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

I asked "what is amiss" by meaning that the outcome seems deceptively decent when compared to other current similar events. I'm silently expecting these cops to be reinstated or some poo poo.

Ah, sorry, I see now you meant it as a quip towards the unexpected good outcome and not towards those that question the process that preceded it. It's been a long day and I'm bad at catching humor when I'm tired.

I agree though, the outcome is almost too good to be true. Here's to hoping it's the start of a pattern of improvement. (Who am I kidding?)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Looks like Drinking Arizona Iced Tea while black isn't actually a crime, how about that, glad we got that sorted out.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/02/case-dismissed-man-aggressively-arrested-video-drinking-iced-tea-public/

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Here's a tip: If you have an elderly relative who recently underwent heart surgery, and you can't get in touch with them and are worried that they may be in trouble, maybe don't ask the police to do a welfare check.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Maybe you still should, you know.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Depending on where I live I might just have craigslist do that poo poo

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

g0del posted:

Here's a tip: If you have an elderly relative who recently underwent heart surgery, and you can't get in touch with them and are worried that they may be in trouble, maybe don't ask the police to do a welfare check.

When I call up the local gangs to check up on my elderly relatives they don't shoot them :can:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

g0del posted:

Reminds me of the guy who called the cops on his 16-year-old son who stole his pickup for a joyride to scare some sense into him and the cops shot the kid dead.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Radish posted:

When I call up the local gangs to check up on my elderly relatives they don't shoot them :can:

This is the first time in recent memory that this thread has made me happy.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Xibanya posted:

Reminds me of the guy who called the cops on his 16-year-old son who stole his pickup for a joyride to scare some sense into him and the cops shot the kid dead.

"Hi, 911? I'd like to report a felony".
"But not really, oh...".

Untagged fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 9, 2015

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Either you call them for some trivial issue and they kill you or they show up for a seriously violent issue and they kill you. Or you need them and they don't show up and the bad guy kills you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
here is my foolproof retirement plan

-become a dog breeder
-get a shitload of expensive dogs
-compete in shows, win
-get a bunch of pedigreed rear end dogs
-build a kennel attached to your home
-get insurance on all the expensive rear end dogs
-swat yourself
-cops kill all the dogs
-collect insurance and sue the police
-retire

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Either you call them for some trivial issue and they kill you or they show up for a seriously violent issue and they kill you. Or you need them and they don't show up and the bad guy kills you.

There ain't no bad guy. There ain't no good guy. There's only you and me, and we just disagree.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

-become a dog breeder
-compete in shows, win
-swat yourself
-cops kill all the dogs
-retire

Make sure after the call to the police you let the dogs loose in your house to ensure they are killed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

-become a dog breeder
-compete in shows, win
-swat yourself
-cops kill all the dogs
-retire

Also, and this is IMPORTANT, Don't be anywhere near your home during the actual swatting, and to be safe make sure you don't come back for at least a few days. Also installing a poo poo load of discrete security cameras ahead of time isn't a bad idea either.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This American Life focusing on policing for the next two weeks. Haven't finished listening to it, so no idea where they're really going yet.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
man they're going to have a hell of a time figuring out whether or not to press charges

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/larry-hostetter-texas-sheriff-police-shooting

"for the crime of killing a police officer, you are sentenced to five days in the county jail. thank you for your service, you vile murderer"

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
It's getting to be darkly hilarious.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Xibanya posted:

Man, gently caress people who do that poo poo. The cops are not Super Nanny to come swoop in when you're sick of dealing with the entitled little poo poo you raised.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ImAMinister posted:

Sounds like that system works perfectly well. Just not for us.

It works perfectly fine for the people who it's supposed to.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It doesn't. There is an illusion of that, though.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think Superman would spend a lot of his day protecting people from the police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Man, gently caress people who do that poo poo. The cops are not Super Nanny to come swoop in when you're sick of dealing with the entitled little poo poo you raised.

Instead they swoop in and kill a kid! Lol why are you always missing the point

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Reading PINAC gets me mad every single day.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Feral Integral posted:

Instead they swoop in and kill a kid! Lol why are you always missing the point
My child has misbehaved! Should I parent them? That could lead to eye contact and perhaps even meaningful dialogue. *Audible gasp* No, it is the cold blooded enforcers of the state who are best suited to remedying this situation. Surely their demonstrated propensity for responding to every situation with maximum violence could not possible combine with my child's extremely poor decision making skills and general contempt of authority to produce an undesirable outcome.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Some dad in the kids for cash thing had set him up on drug charges to try to scare him straight, and it sent the kid on some for-profit juvenile detention saga that ended in the kid committing suicide. Yeah, smooth move there.

http://citizensvoice.com/news/father-of-suicidal-man-in-kids-for-cash-case-i-basically-framed-him-1.1109065

quote:

"I basically framed him with my buddies," Kenzakoski said Tuesday.

Kenzakoski, a 44-year-old Bear Creek Township man employed in construction, said he planted drug paraphernalia in his son's truck about seven years ago, leading to his initial appearance in juvenile court. Fonzo alleges her son's assignment to a juvenile camp on the paraphernalia charge started him on a tortured path through the juvenile and adult court systems that culminated in his suicide last June.

I can't imagine the thought process behind it, but there's rich people sending their kids to extraterritorial camps for talking back, so some parents have some strange views on how to care for their children.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Some dad in the kids for cash thing had set him up on drug charges to try to scare him straight, and it sent the kid on some for-profit juvenile detention saga that ended in the kid committing suicide. Yeah, smooth move there.

http://citizensvoice.com/news/father-of-suicidal-man-in-kids-for-cash-case-i-basically-framed-him-1.1109065

I can't imagine the thought process behind it, but there's rich people sending their kids to extraterritorial camps for talking back, so some parents have some strange views on how to care for their children.
Everyone who doesn't know what was happening with WWASPS ten years ago should take this opportunity to school themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

He trusted his cop buddies and didn't think they would let the system screw him over. That was the thought process.

• Locked thread