Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

paranoid randroid posted:

So are you supposed to get a positive and a negative quirk after each mission or not? Because I'm still getting that.

Hm. It's supposed to be (seemingly) random. Sometimes positive alone, sometimes negative alone, sometimes nothing, sometimes both. It should be unusual to always get both. Did you start over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just dislike that there's absolutely no personality to any of the characters. If they had some hidden parameters that determined what kind of dialogue they had, or if their chatter at least changed a bit based on their traits, I might actually give a poo poo about any of them. As it stands, one Highwayman is basically the exact same as any other.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

natetimm posted:

I got Syphilis from an ancient tome.

I know some people probably want them to patch silly stuff like this, but I think it makes the game a lot more imaginative. I also liked some guy's story about his Crusader going off on some holy vision quest, and then coming back with syphilis.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The stress-lowering mechanics are basically a grimdark Fantasy version of The Hangover where you try to reconstruct what the hell your people got up to during their adventures and their break time to get so weird. I love it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lotish posted:

Hm. It's supposed to be (seemingly) random. Sometimes positive alone, sometimes negative alone, sometimes nothing, sometimes both. It should be unusual to always get both. Did you start over?

Every character always get both. I haven't started over, because I'm not wild about going through the early game meat grinder again just yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, my healer girl is kind of terrible - she suffers a lot from poor stats and will need a lot of gold to get her skills sorted - but it's hilarious watching her flip out, stomp her foot down and basically tell the group to stop being babies and get its poo poo together whenever someone panics.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm jonesing for some new classes, man. Also, I want some lego sets based on this game. Would own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lotish posted:

I put together my Hag-Hunting Hellions team of three hellions and a vestal and went after the Hag that ate three of my best characters. She didn't even put anyone in the pot, and bled to death from massive damage at the start of round 3. :psyduck:

Hellion team best team. You're gonna have a hard time going back to anything else. (don't)

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Is Occultist the only class that can lower the light level? It's pretty painful to get through fights before reaching Crit+++

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I gave this a shot because my brother has it. It's not what I was hoping for but it's still a ton of fun.

I lost my best guy when he was working with 3 crappy ones. Oh well.

e: What I don't like though is how RNG heavy it feels.

Phssthpok posted:

Is Occultist the only class that can lower the light level? It's pretty painful to get through fights before reaching Crit+++

Yes.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 10, 2015

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

JollyGreen posted:

Are buff skills generally not worth it? Like look at 'take aim' or 'revenge' for example. Any bonuses that you get from them seem like they would be offset by (1)The sacrifice of a round to cast the buff, (2) The extra damage you take by not just trying to burn the enemy down faster. I kinda just feel like mashing heal spells from healers, and the generic melee attacks from any hero, are the best way to play. Trying to get creative doesn't pay off.

I would also really like to be able to see what skills enemies have. It would let me make tactical decisions on how to fight the enemy without having to memorize their skill sets.

The only time I use "Take Aim" is when my Highwayman get's moved into a position where he can't do anything (or if the only way he could do anything would further mess up my party order). I do Take Aim, then move someone so that he can get into position to shoot next round.

Has anyone noticed how the Occultist skill that heals but can cause bleeding actually gets worse as you level it up? At Level 2, it heals 1 to 12 points of damage, and does 2 points of bleeding damage for 3 turns. At level 3, it heals 1 to 13 but does 3 points of bleeding damage for 3 turns. One potential extra point of healing for 3 extra points of damage???

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Buffs are awesome for delaying combat. If you've got 1 weak enemy left, you can just self buff and have a healer patch you up a little.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Night10194 posted:

There's nothing abusive about pulling random teams of murderhobos off the wagon and sending them into a meatgrinder with no pay beyond what's necessary to keep them together enough to keep fighting by tossing them booze and prayer.

Oh, wait. Everything about that is abusive, yes.

Graverobber dialogue suggests they get 25% of the take, actually.

I guess that's why you keep getting fresh recruits even if you're deploying suicide squads!

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's not supposed to happen / is a bug then I think. Screenshot?

(context: no level 1 missions available)

Maybe it's just a really high chance for a level 1 rather then a guarantee?

Technically you can still send in a bunch of level :aaa:s in to churn the mission list I guess.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 10, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RubberBands Hurt posted:

(context: no level 1 missions available)

Maybe it's just a really high chance for a level 1 rather then a guarantee?

Technically you can still send in a bunch of level 0s in to churn the mission list I guess. :aaa:

Weird. I think you should post that as a [bug] on the Steam forums. It's either a bug or an apparent design flaw.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The only time I use "Take Aim" is when my Highwayman get's moved into a position where he can't do anything (or if the only way he could do anything would further mess up my party order). I do Take Aim, then move someone so that he can get into position to shoot next round.

Has anyone noticed how the Occultist skill that heals but can cause bleeding actually gets worse as you level it up? At Level 2, it heals 1 to 12 points of damage, and does 2 points of bleeding damage for 3 turns. At level 3, it heals 1 to 13 but does 3 points of bleeding damage for 3 turns. One potential extra point of healing for 3 extra points of damage???

The bleed is often resisted, so it's not strictly worse. Also I just went in to check and it's still minimum 0 healing for me; if it had a minimum healing of 1 that skill would instantly become twice as good because the only thing worse than healing someone for 0 is bleeding them and healing them for 0.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Teslavi posted:

The bleed is often resisted, so it's not strictly worse. Also I just went in to check and it's still minimum 0 healing for me; if it had a minimum healing of 1 that skill would instantly become twice as good because the only thing worse than healing someone for 0 is bleeding them and healing them for 0.

Not being able to immediately get someone out of Death's Door that round is a huge drawback. If you're prone to rage attacks due to RNG, don't play this class as the main healer!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I wish mission distribution between locations was a little less random. Maybe they could put in a thing where the default location always has 3 quests open, but the others only have 1 quest until you upgrade the roads out to them by paying in Crests or something. Eventually by paying enough you could get 5-6 quests in each area that are guaranteed to be a more even distribution between low/medium/high.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I was going to say some stuff about occultist heal not being that annoying, then remembered I have the trinket that gives +resist chance for -skill chance, which makes his heal instantly way better. If I find another one I'll be sitting pretty, I like it. The reason I like him more than a vestral is mainly because of better offensive/camp options and high crit chance. Basically has some solid back row attacks, and I can throw in a debuff/mark/stab depending on the dungeon and party make-up.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Technically you can still send in a bunch of level :aaa:s in to churn the mission list I guess.

Just send a party with 0 stress in and abandon the quest straight away. You'll only get about 30-ish stress each, which is manageable without hitting up the tavern/church. Then you can see if any lvl1 quests pop up.

ZypherIM posted:

I was going to say some stuff about occultist heal not being that annoying, then remembered I have the trinket that gives +resist chance for -skill chance, which makes his heal instantly way better. If I find another one I'll be sitting pretty, I like it. The reason I like him more than a vestral is mainly because of better offensive/camp options and high crit chance. Basically has some solid back row attacks, and I can throw in a debuff/mark/stab depending on the dungeon and party make-up.

I find the Vestal's ranged attacks to be pretty good, and they add light which is always good. Plus I've lost a guy to the Occultist's heal when it came up zero and the bleed killed the guy :ughh: So I'm always wary now about relying on the Occultist as a main healer.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 10, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Occultists heal just gets worse the further into the game you get. Even ignoring the bleed part, a healing skill having such huge RNG swing is really bad. It can potentially heal huge amounts but you can easily get stretches of bad rolls where next to nothing is healed. And as others have mentioned, healing someone for 0 is a nightmare when they are in death's door. You can still rely on the Occultist to be a healer but you have to realize you're taking a gamble by doing so later on.

Fortunately, the Occultist is a cool dude that brings a lot of neat skills to the table even ignoring his heal. I'd like his heal to be improved a bit but even if it isn't I'm still gonna use him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really wish the Plague Doctor had an actual heal. A Healer with Debuffs/DoTs/Stuns would be awesome and she has such a cool character design that I really want to use her.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Wyrd Reconstruction is great but you should never run him as the main healer. Pop it on your front liner type when they get down to about 60% health and it will treat you right.

Occultist fits well in that third rank slot and he brings a lot of nice utility, especially in the Weald where he gets big bonuses to damage against all the eldrich gribblies. He's probably my favorite class atm.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He's also way cooler than a conventional D&D-type wizard and has excellent taste in headwear and hair care.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Internet Kraken posted:

The Occultists heal just gets worse the further into the game you get. Even ignoring the bleed part, a healing skill having such huge RNG swing is really bad. It can potentially heal huge amounts but you can easily get stretches of bad rolls where next to nothing is healed. And as others have mentioned, healing someone for 0 is a nightmare when they are in death's door. You can still rely on the Occultist to be a healer but you have to realize you're taking a gamble by doing so later on.

Fortunately, the Occultist is a cool dude that brings a lot of neat skills to the table even ignoring his heal. I'd like his heal to be improved a bit but even if it isn't I'm still gonna use him.

The bleed chance on his heal needs to go down as it levels up, yeah, definitely.

That said you can use him as a primary healer BUT you have to be really proactive and heal people a turn or two BEFORE you would have healed the same character if your healer was a vestal. He has to keep the party topped off, he can't wait till there's an actual emergency.

This is a problem in boss fights for obvious reasons.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The bleed chance on his heal needs to go down as it levels up, yeah, definitely.

That said you can use him as a primary healer BUT you have to be really proactive and heal people a turn or two BEFORE you would have healed the same character if your healer was a vestal. He has to keep the party topped off, he can't wait till there's an actual emergency.

This is a problem in boss fights for obvious reasons.

The bleed chance actually increases as you level it up, but I don't think it's actually a problem since your bleed resists will easily outpace it later on. By resolve 5 most heroes will probably have enough bleed resist to be functionally immune to the bleed or close to it.

The actual bleed chances for Wyrd from the files (effects.darkest):
Level 1: 60%
Level 2: 70%
Level 3: 70%
Level 4: 80%
Level 5: 85%

I'm sitting with a cultist right now spamming level 5 wyrds with my two occultists just to check, seems to be pretty much true so far.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anatharon posted:

e: What I don't like though is how RNG heavy it feels.

Yeah, it's a bit too RNG heavy for my tastes too. I keep losing my guys due to unlucky strings of crits. A few minutes ago my Occultist ate two crossbows for 12 damage each. They just shot him back to back on the first round and I couldn't even do anything, which is pretty annoying. Same thing happened to one of my Grave Diggers earlier too.

ErIog posted:

I wish mission distribution between locations was a little less random. Maybe they could put in a thing where the default location always has 3 quests open, but the others only have 1 quest until you upgrade the roads out to them by paying in Crests or something. Eventually by paying enough you could get 5-6 quests in each area that are guaranteed to be a more even distribution between low/medium/high.

Yeah, I'm on week 20 and I literally had my first mission in the Warrens. I'm super low on portraits, which means I can't upgrade my guild, so I have a bunch of level 3 characters with level 2 skills. They're basically too good for level 1 missions and too weak for level 3 missions. :psyduck:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I remembered having some trouble with only level 1 skills, but I think you don't need to be fully upgraded to stand a chance.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Every character always get both. I haven't started over, because I'm not wild about going through the early game meat grinder again just yet.

I started over to see if it made a difference. Still getting both a positive and a negative quirk every time.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I really don't think much of the 'lvl 3 characters and above can't be sent on lvl 1 missions' idea, because going back to areas that used to give you issues and crushing them was always particularly cathartic for me.

As I progressed through my playthroughs I ended up getting an almost-full roster up to just-under level 3, and then pushing them over the edge en masse. Never ran out of low level missions. Still make it more of a pain to level a new character later on though - or at least more of a pain than it needs to be.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My party just had the eat event 3 times within 3 rooms :(

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Rascyc posted:

My party just had the eat event 3 times within 3 rooms :(

I get what they're going for by not making hunger a function of rooms traveled, but you end up with really dumb situations like this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if it isn't already, the chance should definitely scale with "how much distance since the last hunger event"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Basically the eat event happens A LOT if youre backtracking because there is nothing else that can happen it seems?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Oh cool I found some herbs in a treasure chest, I'll go back to that dinner cart and turn it into food. I can just eat the food I have now to make room for the herbs. *starves to death*

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I've started taking the medicinal herbs more often, especially into the weald. I got an entire stack of food from one animal carcass, my party had trail mix for days!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Medicinal herbs are a must buy if you are going into the weald or warrens. You almost always run across something you can turn into a huge pile of food. I always provision with enough food just to be on the safe side, but even then the extra food still helps as extra healing. I really don't like the way hunger works, making it something completely random is just stupid. I don't care if hallways aren't a perfect representation of actual distance traveled or whatever. My guys should not be starving when I just had them stuff their faces at camp a moment ago.

Also the narrator gets REALLY insulting when your guys starve which just makes me more mad :mad:

VVV Cute, relying on the Plague Doctor to do her job. That's a great way to get even more pissed with the RNG.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 10, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There's no way to get a game over yet, is there?

Wyrd Reconstruction is great but you should never run him as the main healer. Pop it on your front liner type when they get down to about 60% health and it will treat you right.

Occultist fits well in that third rank slot and he brings a lot of nice utility, especially in the Weald where he gets big bonuses to damage against all the eldrich gribblies. He's probably my favorite class atm.

He can work as a solo healer but it needs to be in the right setup. I had a Leper tanking with a Plague Doctor who had Battlefield Remedy (to remove the bleed) and a Bounty Hunter.

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, it's a bit too RNG heavy for my tastes too.

I wonder if that's something they want to address or not. Guess we'll see.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What happens if you get wiped by the tutorial bandits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Do the mid-combat speech bubbles annoy the hell out of anyone else? They were cute and funny at first, but after playing for a while, I'm finding that they become especially unbearable when someone in the party reaches 100 stress and gains an affliction. It really, really ruins the flow of combat because you have to wait until they finish talking before you can give orders (or before they carry out given orders), and I've honestly quit to desktop out of frustration more than once because of it.