Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly the tribal update mostly just made CK2 insanely frustrating to play in the earlier start dates. It's cool that you can do stuff like muslim/pagan republics now but it's insanely frustrating to slowly upgrade your stuff over a century or so to the point where it's comparable with a random duchy in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
like this is what its been for 100 years. http://imgur.com/iWRPQl8

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's what most of my 769/867 games look like. I rarely play outside of the fringes of the map because everything else is just waiting to have the Catholics smash you for fun or get rolled by the Byzantines or Muslims.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i had a pretty great time as poland around the time soa came out, but the tribal thing hurt it pretty bad

i started another one around wol but dropped it when i found out about the levy bug and just never went back

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tribal stuff like putting advisors to give you free troops and poo poo are cool but the rest isn't

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I doing Hamburg right. I make 90 a month off of Lubeck and 40 off of the English Channel. Netherlends, Hesse, Saxony, and Bavaria are all my vassals. Three of them are electors but I'm going to eat them anyway because I don't give a gently caress about the HRE since everyone except for Austria is insanely weak.

Austria/Castille/France are allies of course, but PLC and Ottos are my allies. England is too but for some reason there's some kind of weird rebel stack in Sweden and England that have kept them thousands in debt for centuries. England only has Norway and Sweden for allies. Do you think I should break alliance and go gently caress them up for the trade power or what?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
thats a really ugly mod setup there

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

I mostly only like the transparent part and the thick border.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Theres a version without the white text

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

Theres a version without the white text

I like it better than black

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Average Bear posted:

The Old Gods start is so frustrating. The Karlings never ever lose more than one kingdom, the Abbasids don't break up, the Norse are annoying, and the Byzantines never weaken. Its so boring to play as a small power, and starting as big powers is boring as hell. But I want to play with pagans.

the games response is "el stabo!!" :razz: but guess what, no one wants to kill each other and the assassin button is gone.

935 start

No Karlings, Muslims are hella fractured (Persia especially has a bunch of fun starts), Norse are beginning to Christianize but still a lot of pagans around. It's a really fun bookmark and the dude who made it has been real aggressive about balancing it. Plus there are some merchant republics in the Indian ocean if that's your thing.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

tribal stuff like putting advisors to give you free troops and poo poo are cool but the rest isn't

Tribes loving suck, such a wasted opportunity

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

Games loving loves the white text version and i could never figure out why.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Elders React: Games

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
pellisworth and pitttheelder are the only people that know what they're talking about and they should post in this thread

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

abuse culture. posted:

pellisworth and pitttheelder are the only people that know what they're talking about and they should post in this thread

That lp dude that starts with V is good too and there are a few others.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

The texture of national borders there lifts my hackles in a primal way that I can't adequately articulate.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Effectronica posted:

I lost the disc, but seriously, they had a long way to go to reach even EU3 levels from EU1 and HOI1.

EU2 was so epic because the manual had out of date info even compared to the unpatched game even though it was a fairly long paperback style manual

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
okay i havent had a successful fabricate claim in nearly 50 years at 20% per year/month(???)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
This old gods start is much more satisfying. After the standard karling thunderdome, one inherited loth, east Francia, and Bavaria while losing Italy to elective. They formed the HRE, then lost the karlings. West Francia is the only karling holding left, with the capets of all people fighting to usurp it from them

I love it when games turn out historically on their own

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Some goon had a good idea for doing Kingdom of david as the tulunids, since I was getting tired of slowly building my way up to taking over Ethiopia and then getting bitch slapped by the fatmids. Having the mamluks as your own personal Varangian guard ftw.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Too bad owning Egypt made jihad fire in 900 and now I have to deal with 2 Sunni holy orders.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:troll:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Finally got around to doing Kingdom of David. Started as the Tulunids in 867 and used the mamluks to holy war my way down to Semien and converted immediately so I could use Jewish holy wars to keep my MA nice and high. Even though I controlled all of Nubia, Abyssinia and Egypt for most of the game I was never nearly as strong as the Abbasids and had to pick my fights with them very carefully. The Mamluks were pretty much key to not getting steamrolled. I think my best tip for doing it is to NOT butter up the Abbasids. Let them think you are weak since they don't account for the Mamluks and after you crush them in a defensive war (with buff vassal troops) turn around and holy war them back.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also I noticed that you lose the ability to have PAssover when you take the duchy of Jerusalem.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Has anyone ever managed to kill the great white beast? I made all my rulers take Hunting and the closest I got was seeing the beast across a ravine which made me get the hunter trait.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Nice Black Jew gaming advice... And I'm not talking about The Wiz!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Has anyone ever managed to kill the great white beast? I made all my rulers take Hunting and the closest I got was seeing the beast across a ravine which made me get the hunter trait.

I imagine it's like .5% of happening because I've never gotten it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Tulunids are actually Sand Nigs, but my heir when I finished up was black because of all the nubians and ethiopians in the realm.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Average Bear posted:

I imagine it's like .5% of happening because I've never gotten it.

I can;t see the mtth in the event files.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I got a few of the other WoL achievs just by trying out the lifestyle a single time.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You probably can't actually catch it then. It's about the chase and how you grow along the way

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wonder what the hidden options for this are:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Oh, it's just different devils for cynical/depressed. I saw fenrir in a viking game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The thing I decided I like the most about WoL is that it adds flavour even to the lovely bad religions like Jewish.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The thing I decided I like the most about WoL is that it adds flavour even to the lovely bad religions like Jewish.

This is nnot a FYAD lite. Do not post this trash.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i enjoy that coalitions late game transform into more of a reward than a punishment

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also i'm sure its for a good reason, but i really hate that if you want to make a client state and release it, they will hate the gently caress out of you. i gave you guys independence, what the hell.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I have killed the great white beast. Not in way of life though. And I think it was a stag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

also i'm sure its for a good reason, but i really hate that if you want to make a client state and release it, they will hate the gently caress out of you. i gave you guys independence, what the hell.

When you can't add to a client state because it's not contiguous with your borders<<<