Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Smiling Jack posted:

Mortabis is a living example of the Dunning-Kruger effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Psion posted:

For someone who has, in this very thread, posted repeatedly about family who served and your own claimed government employment

None of my family has served and I never claimed they did. I worked for the Federal Reserve board, which is governed differently than just about every other agency.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Red Crown posted:

Well, the community in question could make a concerted, multi-year effort to reform itself and the wider service could recognize its needs and adapt its promotion and selection proc-ahahahhahah :unsmigghh:

Who am I kidding, even if the CSAF decided he wanted to reform that community, the effort wouldn't outlast his tenure. The US definitely didn't strike the right balance on terms for service chiefs, there's only so much you can do in four years. I'm sorry to see yet another smart O-3 leaving the military because they have to do that tour (the surface Navy has a similar problem).
But we made a new medal, just for them! (Of course pilots get it too.)

The real issue is that, "Go live underground, in North Dakota, while getting repeatedly buttfucked by MAJCOM Stan-Eval. You will still never make General." remains a tough sell.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

BIG HEADLINE posted:

(this is a dated image, by the way - there aren't any active missiles at Grand Forks and Whiteman anymore, but there are still B-2s at Whiteman, which still makes it a valid target)

I'd hope the Russkies would nuke Grand Forks on principle - both for the ND thing as well as the fact that Global Chicken flies out of there.

Also Whiteman but thank god they've already got a valid reason because I'd rejoice for Knob Noster to be wiped off the map.

Greataval posted:

And there is nothing wrong with that. I was enlisted and got out at E-5 so i did not deal a whole lot with our MX officer on 2nds.I just remember on occasion when they would ask about aircraft Mx issues and eyes would glaze over. I Never knew much of the officer side of business.

There's nothing wrong with that until that officer is a Capt/Maj and actually making decisions that matter, except it's about things he doesn't know the first loving thing about and the Chief/SNCO who should be telling him he's an idiot is too much of a butt-shark to tell him how he's wrong.

I've just described 90% of what is wrong with AF mx, as a community.

Red Crown posted:

Alright, that makes a lot more sense to me now. Sucks that you'd have to take such an awful tour to get back to something good.

And thus you see why like I said, I'm getting out.

Because the "something good" really isn't that good.

Red Crown posted:

Well, the community in question could make a concerted, multi-year effort to reform itself and the wider service could recognize its needs and adapt its promotion and selection proc-ahahahhahah :unsmigghh:

Who am I kidding, even if the CSAF decided he wanted to reform that community, the effort wouldn't outlast his tenure. The US definitely didn't strike the right balance on terms for service chiefs, there's only so much you can do in four years. I'm sorry to see yet another smart O-3 leaving the military because they have to do that tour (the surface Navy has a similar problem).

The AF is seeing this in the RPA aircrew community as well. They were planning on just kind of shrugging it off and being like "yeah whatever a bunch of guys are punching because it sucks, we're dropping to 55 or 45 or whatever CAPs anyway so who needs those clowns, we'll keep bringing Lt's in who want to fly robot planes and poo poo"...except Operation Bomb ISIS happened and turns out going below 65 CAPs is a pipedream. poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo, let's throw money at the problem!!! That'll fix everything!!!

Until it doesn't, then you're left with a bunch more money spent and still in the same manning hole you were in before.

Also in all honesty the issue with me getting out isn't that tour, it's just the mx community in general. Hence why I'd be punching regardless, it's just the likely possibility of doing a nuke tour means unless a miracle happens I'll be 3-day opting when that assignment to Minot/Whiteman/F.E. Warren comes through next year.

Also also the idea of figuring out a way to offer monetary incentives for assignment has been floated before many times in different venues. If executed correctly it would actually probably work. The problem is that in order to execute it correctly it would require a) a literal act of Congress, b) people to be willing to accept a change in the paradigm of how military pay works (observe the screeching any time questioning of anything to do with military compensation comes up and you'd see about how well this would go over), and c) the military assignment system to be competent.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

Same basic reason complaining about the USPS losing money is loving stupid.

Why's that stupid? Yes it's Congress' fault, but that doesn't make the complaint less valid.

And you CAN in fact compensate people more to fill positions that are harder to fill...this is how everyone does it, even the military, they just aren't allowed to do it with salaries for exceedingly stupid reasons so they try and find other ways. It's not rocket science...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
What's the free market solution to charging hamburger hill?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hauldren Collider posted:

Why's that stupid? Yes it's Congress' fault, but that doesn't make the complaint less valid.

Because the USPS's job is to provide affordable postal service to everyone, regardless of geography. "Make money" is not among it's mandates, because it's a service. Nobody expects NASA or the CIA to turn a profit.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 10, 2015

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

What's the free market solution to charging hamburger hill?

It''s not a "free market solution" any more than the fact that we actually pay soldiers at all. Soldiers get extra combat pay, right? Why are you being so obtuse?

PittTheElder posted:

Because the USPS's job is to provide affordable postal service to everyone, regardless of geography. "Make money" is not among it's mandates, because it's a service.

That is arguably a stupid job.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In the military, unlike the private sector, you can go to jail or face other restrictions and remittances of basic freedoms and pay for not doing your job instead of just being fired or sued. This of course affects pay scales.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

In the military, unlike the private sector, you can go to jail or face other restrictions and remittances of basic freedoms and pay for not doing your job instead of just being fired or sued. This of course affects pay scales.

You're still being obtuse. You get paid all sorts of things in order to encourage you to do something pretty undesirable. You get a GI bill. You get Tricare. You get lots of stuff I don't know about cause I was never in the military. Point is, the military does ALL SORTS of "free market" stuff to get people to sign on. Saying that you'll pay people more to do stuff people don't wanna do is totally reasonable, and I have no idea why you guys don't get this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's only stupid to the extent that it's kinda dated. It's not even close to the stupidest thing in the Constitution.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

It's only stupid to the extent that it's kinda dated. It's not even close to the stupidest thing in the Constitution.

I'm not gonna argue with that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

You're still being obtuse. You get paid all sorts of things in order to encourage you to do something pretty undesirable. You get a GI bill. You get Tricare. You get lots of stuff I don't know about cause I was never in the military. Point is, the military does ALL SORTS of "free market" stuff to get people to sign on. Saying that you'll pay people more to do stuff people don't wanna do is totally reasonable, and I have no idea why you guys don't get this.

The military pays based on rank rather than position with a tiny handful of exceptions, such as combat pay, drill sergeant pay, language proficiency in very specific jobs, and other rare circumstances. This is hammered home from day one. Trying to balance special pay for every job deemed undesirable would be dumb, particularly when taking into account geographically undesirable locations. If the only thing motivating you is money never sign up, tia.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

The military pays based on rank rather than position with a tiny handful of exceptions, such as combat pay, drill sergeant pay, language proficiency in very specific jobs, and other rare circumstances. This is hammered home from day one. Trying to balance special pay for every job deemed undesirable would be dumb, particularly when taking into account geographically undesirable locations. If the only thing motivating you is money never sign up, tia.

OK, so the military doesn't give special pay...except when it really needs to. This seems to be making my point for me. I never said that pay should be the only motivator for the army, but let's be serious, how many fewer people do you think would sign if there were no GI bill, or how many people wouldn't re-enlist if you didn't get a vested pension benefit? Come on. Sure, money isn't the only motivator for serving, but it is A motivator.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Is it now? Perhaps because it provides a service other than "make my cousin's company rich"?

The USPS delivers its service non-stop for affordable prices and good reliability. And is mandated by the constitution.
It's actually a pretty sweet federal agency.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sure, money isn't the only motivator for serving, but it is A motivator.

Yeah, there's no unpaid volunteers in the military. But if you want to see the gigantic difference between free market value for what the military does vs. actual compensation paid to members of the military for those jobs, look at the millions of words spent bemoaning how much contractors got paid for GWOT jobs.

There are, in effect, almost zero free-market forces within the military other than the very basic "I get paid if I join up."

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Is it now? Perhaps because it provides a service other than "make my cousin's company rich"?

The USPS delivers its service non-stop for affordable prices and good reliability. And is mandated by the constitution.
It's actually a pretty sweet federal agency.

Yes, it is still arguably a stupid job. There is an argument to be made that this should be left to the apparently much-hated free market. It is a totally reasonable argument. There is also an argument to be made that it is essential that everyone receive government-subsidized mail delivery as a means of communication. In the past this was far more compelling than the former, but I believe it is becoming less so now. Whether or not it is still compelling is worthy of debate, in my view. I get the sense people here do not agree with me, but I think I'm being pretty reasonable.

If you believe anything about modern economics (basically so long as you aren't literally Marxist) you recognize that the entire economy is based on the idea that making a company rich makes everyone rich. That's not an extreme libertarian viewpoint, that's literally the foundation of modern economics. Much like Newtonian mechanics it is not a perfect theory but it generally works well in practice. I'm sure someone will come along and try to slay me with some exceptions; I point such naysayers to my previous sentence.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

If you believe anything about modern economics (basically so long as you aren't literally Marxist) you recognize that the entire economy is based on the idea that making a company rich makes everyone rich.

There we go. Jesus Christ. Will it trickle down, would you say?

In case it has any relevance, I am a literal marxist.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, there's no unpaid volunteers in the military. But if you want to see the gigantic difference between free market value for what the military does vs. actual compensation paid to members of the military for those jobs, look at the millions of words spent bemoaning how much contractors got paid for GWOT jobs.

There are, in effect, almost zero free-market forces within the military other than the very basic "I get paid if I join up."

Really? Cause I hear all the time about people doing things like signing up to be an officer because they want to be paid more, or joining because they needed to pay for college, or re-enlisting because of the good health insurance or good re-enlistment bonuses, or because their particular job gives them valuable training and so on and so forth. I also know plenty of people who would have served but decided not to because they would be forgoing significantly more cash in the private sector. I'm sure most if not all join up for patriotic reasons as well and that may be part of why they don't get paid as much as contractors. That doesn't change the fact that if you increased the pay that soldiers get, you'd increase the number of people who want to be soldiers. And if you increased the pay that particular hard-to-fill jobs get, more people would want those jobs. As shown by the fact that the military actually does this for certain extremely hard to fill jobs.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

why did mortabis buy a second account

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Yay, now I get accused of being a DL. That's what you get for trying to be polite to Marxists. Whatever. I'll go back to lurking. Here's airplane pictures, why I lurk the thread in the first place. For the record, I think the only thing I have in common with Mortabis is being a conservative.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 10, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Well ok, I guess my point is that they need to aim their blame at a more appropriate target. It's not really the USPS' fault. They wouldn't be a great corporation, but they sure as poo poo wouldnt be losing 1-2B a month if they had control over ANY of their finances.

You really are mortabis, aren't you? What you don't get is that poo poo goes through CONGRESS FIRST. The services don't have a lot of leeway. Everything they do related to compensation has to be mandated (GI Bill) or authorized (tuition assistance) by Congress before the services even look at it.

Edit: People are picking on you because you're making high school debate class arguments with literal experts in the fields being discussed. You're arguing military compensation with people who lived on it for years. I worked for several years in the underbelly of the postal service. Etc.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 10, 2015

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
No, I'm not mortabis. You can go through my post history if you don't believe me. But I am going back to lurking.

I agree with you by the way, it is Congress being dumb, but I feel like if Congress were less dumb it'd be a reasonable thing to do.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah, if you enjoy jerking off with the invisible hand.

"Seems like a common sense thing to do"

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I agree with you by the way, it is Congress being dumb, but I feel like if Congress were less dumb it'd be a reasonable thing to do.

See my comments above..even if we get past the act of Congress phase, it would never work because:

- People would have to view military pay, across the board, in a completely new paradigm (i.e., people would have to accept getting paid a lot less from a base pay perspective if they got somewhere "good")

- It would require the military assignment system to actually be forward thinking and want to match people up based on expressed preferences (I want to go somewhere "less desirable" for more money/I want to go somewhere "more desirable" even though I know it means less pay) as opposed to the current system of "BEEP BOOP FACE GO INTO SPACE YOU CAN'T GO THERE IT'S BAD FOR YOUR CAREER BEEP BOOP". And that's never, ever, in a million years going to change.

e: Yes I know the way to get desirable assignments is to work underhanded bargaining with your assignments team but that just proves my point

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Hauldren Collider is a friend of mine from high school who reads this thread because I pointed it out to him, that's why he's acting possessive and defensive and poo poo.

e: like I promise you I would not register an account just to post in the Korra thread.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 10, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well that fits. Personally I don't mind debating with people no matter how wrong they are, as long as they're able to not flip their poo poo and start namecalling. So I actually don't have a problem with him, he seems to at least be receptive to what people are telling him...he's just coming from a ridiculously pie-in-the-sky, "look guys all the pieces could fit together easily if we just do ___" outlook.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

Well that fits. Personally I don't mind debating with people no matter how wrong they are, as long as they're able to not flip their poo poo and start namecalling. So I actually don't have a problem with him, he seems to at least be receptive to what people are telling him...he's just coming from a ridiculously pie-in-the-sky, "look guys all the pieces could fit together easily if we just do ___" outlook.

Yes and I agree that talking about what would happen if Congress didn't do dumb poo poo is academic. Your point with the post office is spot on; it's unprofitable because of things like being forced to keep offices open that serve 5 people and a cow in Nowhere, Montana.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And furthermore, I would posit that it is more important that those five people and their cow have some basic level of connection to the rest of the country and the rest of the world than that the Post Office turn a profit.

Not sure what this has to do with Minot being a shithole and anything to do with missiles being where careers go to die, but there we go.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VikingSkull posted:

I turned this one on at about here one night when I woke up sick as a kid. Not fun.

The latter half of Threads - or just the part after the attack scene - will rob you of sleep for at least a week.

Dead Reckoning posted:

But we made a new medal, just for them! (Of course pilots get it too.)

The real issue is that, "Go live underground, in North Dakota, while getting repeatedly buttfucked by MAJCOM Stan-Eval. You will still never make General." remains a tough sell.

So in other words, missiles are to the Air Force as helicopters are to the Navy in terms of chances of making flag rank.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 10, 2015

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

If you believe anything about modern economics (basically so long as you aren't literally Marxist) you recognize that the entire economy is based on the idea that making a company rich makes everyone rich.

Wait, did the last 6-7 years not happen to you?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OhYeah posted:

Wait, did the last 6-7 years not happen to you?

He's not out of undergrad yet. The economy always seems 'simple to understand' before you (or your new family) have been put in a position to be hosed by the swings. That tends to cure people of libertarianism rather quickly, albeit temporarily, as it has a tendency to flare right back up again once the trouble has passed.

Just to put in my 2c I'm graduating with a Computer Science/Statistics double degree in the spring.

Can't wait to hear the Randian rebuttal.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 10, 2015

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Hauldren Collider holds a belief that is unfortunately shared by many others, however there's a lot of evidence that says that the Free Market simply does not work as advertised and has never been taken seriously anywhere in Europe, and even in the USA it's losing much of its support. It was a revolutionary thing in the XVIII century but an untamed free market economy is the closest thing you get to a nazi dystopia.

Anyway, he's still young and hasn't studied economics at all.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The latter half of Threads - or just the part after the attack scene - will rob you of sleep for at least a week.

Threads is loving brutal. Yes! Work camps and deformed rape babies for everyone!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I leave for loving twelve hours, and my beloved Cold War thread is full of strawmen and poorly articulated arguments about economic theory.

Post more cool poo poo, less slap fighting about whether Marx or Smith had the bigger cock.

MIM-14 Nike Hercules, in various stages of arousal.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

mlmp08 posted:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't sort of exactly why Warrent Officers exist? Or is that just more about incorporating specialized expertise into the chain of command?

e: not that that applies to the problem of filling officer positions for unpopular MOS, obviously.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 10, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you believe anything about modern economics (basically so long as you aren't literally Marxist) you recognize that the entire economy is based on the idea that making a company rich makes everyone rich. That's not an extreme libertarian viewpoint, that's literally the foundation of modern economics. Much like Newtonian mechanics it is not a perfect theory but it generally works well in practice. I'm sure someone will come along and try to slay me with some exceptions; I point such naysayers to my previous sentence.

I'm pretty sure you'll find a fundamental component of market theory is that competition is the force which keeps profits down and is what ensures that the value generated by a company gets passed onto the population at large. A company getting rich does nothing except get the company owners rich. It's the constraints on companies getting rich that enrich everyone else.

This 'competition' thing might be a reason to think about State monopoly services in different terms than private enterprise.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

And Lo, we saw that "conservative shitposter bingo" was completed on this day. Methodically the steps were taken of "freemarket!", "I'm being reasonable", "MARXISTS!" and finally "gently caress you guys for not agreeing with me I can't handle competing viewpoints so I'm outta here".

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Jeez, you guys. I'll post some more words about the JA 37 avionics. I was sitting on this for so long because I thought that when they got to the radar the entire thing became so nerdy and impenetrable to a layman that it deserved some further explanation and background (such as how the meetings with Hughes they're talking about are significant because Hughes was working at the F-15C's radar at the same time, so the JA 37 and the F-15C shared the same basic ideas in the dawn of real-time digital radar signal processing, but were developed in fundamentally different directions from a higher level perspective, which is actually really loving interesting) but I never really got around to writing that. Still, anything to drown out these awful posts, so have some more raw translation I had sitting around, the bit before they get into talking about the radar. Warning: Swedish chest beating ahead.

Earlier posts in the same series (may be helpful for some background):
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 3.5 (about JA 37's intercepting SR-71's, not about avionics)

quote:

Moderator: I'd like to return to the discussion regarding the user interface system. Are there some parts we've forgotten or should discuss further? The systems are interconnected. I'll start with Leif this time.

Leif Åström: Okay. We've been talking a lot about the background, how the different devices worked together. And the sum of all this for the pilot, that could be that you saw a target on your tactical indicator, you caught it with your own radar. With a few simple touches, a few button presses, you could choose the desired target, choose your weapon, a radar or IR guided missile. Unlock the seeker, fire your weapon. It was breathtakingly easy to work the system. In a lot of other (foreign) systems that I've had the opportunity to compare with, you have to do a lot of configuration, you have to set the appropriate radar mode and weapon mode and so on. You suddenly realize that we had gotten pretty far with this, even on this level.

Then, if we start looking at the short-range modes, where you have shortcut functions immediately accessible on the throttle, you don't even have to let go of the stick or throttle, you can just keep flying the aircraft and set both radar and weapon modes right there. That's the explanation, I'd say, as to why the JA 37 is so competitive. The user-friendliness. It's not just that you have very good technology, it's that you make it possible for a human to use that technology in a simple way. And that it all works in extremely stressful situations such close-range air-to-air combat. The fact that JA 37 was relevant all the way from the 80's until it was retired in the 2000's, that's largely thanks to its user-friendliness and the good balance between different systems.

Oh, and I'd like to return to something we talked about earlier. You asked earlier if I could give an example of foreign reactions the aircraft, and I recalled one. We had an American general visiting, I think he was the equivalent of our Air Force chief of staff, or something on that level. And he said to someone next to him, I think addressed to his aide: "Take a good look - that's the best fighter in Europe you see there". He actually used just those words, and that was an American general who said something like that. Of course, I don't know if they're always up to speed on everything, but that was the kind of respect we had on the other side of the Atlantic.

Moderator: You mentioned that it was very easy to work the cockpit systems. Was there no other foreign aircraft that was as easy to fly?

Ulf Frieberg: I'll field this one, since I was there from very early in the user interface development. My view is that most others were far, far behind us. They hadn't really understood that it was the pilot who should decide what kind of workload was manageable, and then make sure that the test pilots were successful in getting that message across to the system engineers. That was the big thing, and the test pilots were not trusted with that kind of responsibility for many years, elsewhere in the world. But that has changed and today they are.

Moderator: So if I put this in very oversimplified terms, you could say that the JA 37 was the aircraft equivalent to an iPod, if you're looking at the user interface?

Leif Åström: Yes, I think you could say that. And I, who got in a few years later and have seen the end result and been able to compare it to how it's done in the MiG-29, in the F-16, in the F/A-18 and others... Without mentioning any specific aircraft, a frequently reoccurring thought has been "how do you manage to make something so simple this freaking complicated"? That way, I've come to the conclusion that we were further ahead than I could ever have imagined back then.

Moderator: Bengt's waving over there.

Bengt Sjöberg: I have a few short words to add regarding one more diagram. I don't need to talk a lot about it, it's just that the pilot was in the center of it all, as the headline says. You see the boxes with the different system components, where every component has an integrated presentation interface that connects to the pilot, who needs to work with all of this. You can also note the communications link to the command and control on the ground. You had to cooperate with the air combat controller during fighter missions, and we worked a lot on that cooperation. When we got started on the JA 37 project, we got a bunch of long lists from the old dogs who had flown the 35 all the way up to 35F, and the they said "Here's a long list of problems. Never, ever repeat these mistakes". We worked through these lists systematically and checked every item. In the 35, the pilot workload had been way too high during missions. I remember one of our test pilots who said "Guys, keep in mind that once I put the flight helmet on my IQ goes down by 50%." With that in mind, we were constantly trying to get rid of every detail that could be a distraction. The central programmable logic was very important, since we could divide the system into straight, simple function chains (or at least we hoped they were straight and simple).

We had various simulator stations, both for testing and for development. We had a pure PM (Presentation and Maneuvering) simulator where one of our best known biotechnologists worked a lot on the buttons and levers. The radar control panel and the radar maneuvering in general were his babies for a while and we had to wrangle it a lot in the MIG 70 group. Doors were slammed, and there was a lot of arguing. But in the end a controller grew out of it, you can see it in the pictures of the cockpit. If you look down at the left side panel you can see the throttle lever there. There's also a horizontal hand controller with various buttons and knobs, and underneath that there's a radar panel with different buttons and knobs. And we tried to simplify all of this as much as possible. Then, as Leif Åström mentioned, there was a lot of buttons added to the stick, which we tried to squeeze in while wrangling with the "base aircraft" people who were used to having a lot of other functions there, radio controls and trim controls and whatnot.

We also had several other simulators, other than the PM simulator that is. The main development simulator, which was developed near the end of the AJ period and then became a given during the JA 37 era, was what we called SYSIM, the SYstem SIMulator. The fact that it was necessary we learned hard way from the day when we, in the alpha rig for AJ 37, installed an ordinary chair and some oscilloscopes that represented the instrumentation. And then we put Ulf Frieberg with a control stick on the chair. And we discovered that we had to disconnect all the hardware devices, accelerometers, air data sensors, angle of attack sensor. We couldn't use those, we had to simplify the simulation.

Ulf rejected the entire arrangement as unflyable. And we realized that he was right, it wasn't workable. We started thinking about it and came to the conclusion that we had invest a lot more effort in simulation, we had to work with a lot of different simulation models. The aircraft and all of its dynamics had to work in the simulation, and we started with building a real cockpit. Eventually SRA got involved and provided various "life-like" presentation devices that we could add. And of course we had to emulate a lot of actual aircraft devices, especially the computerized ones.

For example, there was a lot of work done on trying to generate sane input signals for the radar stuff, in order to make the simulated radar work like it did in on a real aircraft. The presentation devices eventually became the same as in the real aircraft, of course. The central computer too, and so on. Then we started to try to run all of this together in SYSIM with all the software and everything, until it worked. And then we involved the pilots. Every button, every knob, every single instrument was subjected to trials in the simulator and in a cockpit mockup. Long trials which were documented in writing and then conclusions and decisions in the meetings with the PM group.

In the end, you could sit in SYSIM and fly complete fighter missions. Over the years the simulators became better and better at mirroring the aircraft's characteristics in an accurate way. The flight controls were pretty good, and they were increasingly perfected into the JAS 39 era. SYSIM was our most important development platform. Eventually the flight trials became more of a verification, a confirmation that SYSIM was sane. Sometimes defects in the simulation were found and then we had to fix the modelling. But as I said, it was one of our most important development stations, and we had a lot of discussions there, since you could stand behind the pilot and literally look over his shoulder and see what he was pointing at.

-- coffee break --

Moderator: And we're back. I figured I'd let a member of the audience ask a question. Bertil Wennerholm.

Bertil Wennerholm: I was at FMV for many years, I was head of the avionics bureau for a few years in the mid-90's which most likely didn't have much of an impact on the JA 37 design. It was more the work of my friends and coworkers that did it. After retiring, though, I've become a historian and that makes you pretty mean. After listening to all this talk about how good the JA 37 was, I'd like to ask if it was good enough? The reason for my question is, of course, that we fielded a lot more aircraft of earlier generations. In the 50's we had a fighter force of about 600 aircraft, peaking in 1957 with 760 fighters. In 1990 when most of our fighters were JA 37's, we were down to 200 fighters. At the same time, during those intervening years the threat level rose significantly. In the 50's and 60's Soviet fighters hardly had the range to reach large parts of the country. But in the 80's that had changed significantly with the MiG-23's and MiG-27's, and thus I'm asking what the strength ratios were like against this fighter threat?

Moderator: Who dares answer that?

Gunnar Lindqvist: It's a difficult question you're asking. Once we had 55 squadrons, and then later as you said 200 aircraft. You were talking about the JA 37, right?

Bertil Wennerholm: Yes, and the J 35F.

Gunnar Lindqvist: Man has a hard time learning from experience. You can't learn from the experiences of others, and a lot of the time not even from your own experiences. And what happened in 1939, that's just fairytales for the people who make the decisions today. Simply put, it's taking a risk. They figure it's not necessary to invest in a good military defense. Now we're supposed to have four squadrons of fighters, that'll be enough. Enough for what, asks the man with some historical background. But that's a greater political risk, they have different priorities.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
What in the name of gently caress, Sweden of all countries had 760 fighters at one point?