Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This was my favorite panel, showing what happens when you overclock a cyborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

This page is just incredible - the sheer amount of motion the artist conveys, and how the lines direct your gaze through the page. Manga at the top of its craft.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
That reminds me, last chapter had one of my favorite character moments in the whole series.

Context:

Blizzard of Hell is the #1 B-Class hero and she has come to recruit Saitama to her team and keep him under her rank. He won't of course because being a hero has nothing to do with forming alliances and having ranks and such. She responds by attacking him as hard as she can. He of course just brushes her attacks off while lecturing her about what it really means to be a hero. Suddenly their fight stumbles into the middle of the fight between Genos and Sonic (the guys fighting above) just as Genos lets out a huge blast directly at them. This is the next page after the blast clears:

If it's not clear what's going on, he positioned himself to protect Ms. Blizzard who was strenuously attacking him for no other reason than her own assholishness and insecurity from the blast. It's a perfect "This is what this character is all about" moment, and is badass without being just excessive violence.

Edit: The excessive violence of the Genos/Sonic fight is loving awesome though.

choobs fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 10, 2015

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The ninja is a guy right? Just really bishonen-y.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The previous page also had Saitama on the other side of her, he moved around her to absorb the blast faster then she can react to.

And yeah, the girly ninja is "Speed of Sound Sonic":lol: and his being very svelt is a running gag. Basically what I'm saying is go read Onepunch Man.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MH Knights posted:

Yep. About half the thread assumed otherwise for a while until we were proven wrong.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I tend to hate when comic book punches and movement lack oomph, and it's probably because I read too much manga when I was younger. I remember specifically loving the sensation of power and speed in Murata's work.

The Flash should be drawn like Eyeshield 21. Superman's punches should look like Saitama's. It's not for everyone but would totally be my poo poo. Japanese artists can be really great at making it really look like normal human shaped beings are super powerful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

MH Knights posted:

I really, really, really wanted Speed of Sound Sonic* to be a girl for a really long time, because the character is pretty sexy and appealing (at least to me, and I don't even like manga/anime) and the art was just coy enough to let me believe that - at first. And gradually he's drawn in situations where that's harder to make yourself believe until welp, sorry reader your gay :gay:

*yes that's really his name, and people make fun of him for that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

choobs posted:

If it's not clear what's going on, he positioned himself to protect Ms. Blizzard who was strenuously attacking him for no other reason than her own assholishness and insecurity from the blast. It's a perfect "This is what this character is all about" moment, and is badass without being just excessive violence.

More to the point, he does it without making a big deal out of it or even realizing it, which goes hand in hand with what he was just telling her.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Chinaman7000 posted:

The Flash should be drawn like Eyeshield 21. Superman's punches should look like Saitama's. It's not for everyone but would totally be my poo poo. Japanese artists can be really great at making it really look like normal human shaped beings are super powerful.

I remember reading Eyeshield 21 and being so blown away by the art that I just HAD to watch the anime.

Big mistake, I tell anyone who is at all interested to skip the anime and just read the comic. I will forever be amazed at how Murata was able to convey motion and speed better than an entire team of animators.

seriously, it was loving terrible

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'll stick with "understanding what the gently caress is supposed to be happening" over dynamism, thanks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dunno seems perfectly clear to me :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What's not to understand here

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The words on the pages explain everything!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Flesh Forge posted:

You do realise this is the equivalent of looking at a comic book cover like this one and complaining that it's too hard to read. Because this is a cover, hence the issue number and title slapped on there in big, bold letters that you'd think nobody would be able to miss.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Aww sheeit is it time for manga vs comics again that's my favorite one

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a cover page of some sort

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

You do realise this is the equivalent of looking at a comic book cover like this one and complaining that it's too hard to read. Because this is a cover, hence the issue number and title slapped on there in big, bold letters that you'd think nobody would be able to miss.

:thejoke:

Also that is a baller cover and you should have posted it inline you schmoe

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

We can dream can't we?

Btw if you're saying you wouldn't read a Murata drawn american comic you're the most boring person alive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Of course Murata is great, I'm just saying I wouldn't trade the western style and all its flaws for the manga style and all its flaws. If Spider-man looked like Blame!! I would be loving lost trying to read it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Of course Murata is great, I'm just saying I wouldn't trade the western style and all its flaws for the manga style and all its flaws. If Spider-man looked like Blame!! I would be loving lost trying to read it.

Oh no I can agree with you! That's twice this year at least I am gonna lose it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's already been done and except for a few rare exceptions it's been loving awful.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Not saying Western stuff needs to be anime, just that there are tricks and techniques that could (and have been by some artists) learned and adapted from the very best creators across cultures, like Murata or Oda of One Piece fame.

I am not advocating the Marvel Mangaverse ok.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The Marvel Mangaverse was about as far from actual manga as you can get, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chinaman7000 posted:

Not saying Western stuff needs to be anime, just that there are tricks and techniques that could (and have been by some artists) learned and adapted from the very best creators across cultures, like Murata or Oda of One Piece fame.
I could be wrong on this, but isn't the reason some of that poo poo is hyperdetailed because the artist has as much time as they need to get the art right? They're not on a tight schedule to make sure the next 20 pages of BATSUMON get to the printers, right?

I'm under the assumption One Piece guy retreat to the Drawcave and ink out his next volume even if it takes a year because the fanbase is there. Or am I totally ignorant on the Shounen Jump side of things?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
:allears:

That's basically the complete opposite of how it works, except for the part where a guy like Oda won't get fired if he needs to take a week or two off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fuego Fish posted:

That's basically the complete opposite of how it works, except for the part where a guy like Oda won't get fired if he needs to take a week or two off.

:what:
I know that Japanese artists are super dedicated to being timely, but I always assumed that was a Japanese Efficiency thing and not, like, we need double-page splash for TittyFighter Shiver: DoubleDestructionDash Demolition IN TEN MINUTES MANG.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It's detailed because the artist who is named on the cover only draws the important parts of the book. Assistants draw backgrounds and other things like that.

Fuego Fish posted:

Yeah I also don't think Oda has taken more than a couples weeks off since 1997

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

At least as far as shonen series go, I believe they publish weekly installments for Shonen Jump and it would be very unfortunate for them to miss a week.

Big name mangaka also famously have teams of uncredited art assistants that help them stay timely.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There are cases like Yoshihiro Togashi who has been very ill for years now and goes on hiatus constantly. He'll put out a couple chapters every few years but his series will never lose its spot in Jump until he dies or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This Mangaka talk really drives home how much of a flaming oval office Piro was when MegaTokyo was getting big in the early 00s.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 10, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Doesn't Oda sleep like 4 hours a night with his schedule?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Senor Candle posted:

It's detailed because the artist who is named on the cover only draws the important parts of the book. Assistants draw backgrounds and other things like that.

Yeah I also don't think Oda has taken more than a couples weeks off since 1997

Oda takes breaks a lot for a WSJ mangaka. In contrast Murata Yuusuke never took a single week off in all 300-odd chapters of Eyeshield 21's run.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Oda takes breaks a lot for a WSJ mangaka. In contrast Murata Yuusuke never took a single week off in all 300-odd chapters of Eyeshield 21's run.

I'm not sure he's taking breaks I always see those as the chapter just not being done since they usually announce it before hand when it's a scheduled break. Also Oda is doing writing and art so it's not really fair to compare their workload. I do think Murata is the better artist though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

At least as far as shonen series go, I believe they publish weekly installments for Shonen Jump and it would be very unfortunate for them to miss a week.

Big name mangaka also famously have teams of uncredited art assistants that help them stay timely.

While the assistants don't get credit on the book it is a useful career path to get a foot in the door.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

While the assistants don't get credit on the book it is a useful career path to get a foot in the door.

That's what they tell PAs in Hollywood.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Oda started as an assistant for the Rurouni Kenshin guy. Pretty sure a lot of the bignames nowadays started off as assistants.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

Doesn't Oda sleep like 4 hours a night with his schedule?

Just like Margaret Thatcher.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

That's what they tell PAs in Hollywood.

It's also what a lot of freelance artists and writers get told. They're being "paid in exposure".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Oda started as an assistant for the Rurouni Kenshin guy. Pretty sure a lot of the bignames nowadays started off as assistants.

Yeah, but compared to how many assistants that didn't?