Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006
if i have my way tdome 2 will be vintage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

gang sines posted:

As long as it isn't a requirement to actually own the deck I'm in.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kraus posted:

I can play tonight.

I am actually going to be playing legacy irl tonight. What about tomorrow?

e: actually, I might be able to do it after I get back from irl legacy.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

gang sines posted:

Heavily in favor of this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Can Thunderdome 3 be no b&r list anything goes?

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Voltaic Key is such a useless card, I can't believe people even play it tbh

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lonely Bridge posted:

Man at least wait a couple of weeks for the legacy tournament to taper off before we get the vintage tournament going

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Lonely Bridge posted:

it's so you can keep slash panther on defense, please learn to play the format before commenting on it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

We just need mcmagic to post bad opinions about another interesting format. Or maybe Angry Grimace can step up to the challenge

Well, don't look now but there's some pretty great modern opinions being flung around in the main thread.

jassi007 posted:

As long as it isn't a requirement to actually own the deck I'm in.

I don't even own the deck I'm playing in this (I only have 2 Bayous IRL.)

I'm definitely in for vintage though. I'm 70/75 of my deck IRL, only missing 3 Moxes and 2 Shops. (only :v:)

Let me get it started. Man, vintage is terrible. It's just a format of turn 1 kills. And Yawgmoth's Will? Who cares. It doesn't even do anything.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
hey we still have like seven rounds of legacy guys >:[

although maybe vintage will start along w/ the top 8

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Well, don't look now but there's some pretty great modern opinions being flung around in the main thread.

counterpoint that would require actually playing modern

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

counterpoint that would require actually playing modern

I didn't say it was a good idea, just that we've got the makings of a Modern McMagic Memorial Tournament happening right now.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I must be the only person who likes modern. Legacy is probably more fun, but a lack of people to play against and dual prices keep me for enjoying it as much as I'd like to. I like broken dumb powerful magic, legacy > modern > standard.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

I must be the only person who likes modern. Legacy is probably more fun, but a lack of people to play against and dual prices keep me for enjoying it as much as I'd like to. I like broken dumb powerful magic, legacy > modern > standard.

I like modern too, and it really does have a lot to do with not having anyone locally to play legacy with on a regular basis. I'd play legacy all the time if I could but there is a growing modern scene in my area and it'd way better than playing standard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like Modern as well but my store stopped doing it because they couldn't get enough people to do it on a regular night every week, so now it's all Standard/EDH/Limited. I suggested a couple ways to get people interested in Modern (and it's not like they weren't trying) but I've made it to my LGS maybe three times since last Thanksgiving so I'm sure I'm the problem :v: Not my fault the best job I can find is 45 minutes away and you start weeknight events 30 minutes after I clock out.
Would definitely play Legacy if I could afford it though, I've seen some totally rad decks in this tourney and in the monthly Legacy event they used to do by me.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kraus, if you're ready to go, get in irc or post here or pm me or whatever.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I say 2 headed giant modern tournament where the partners can't use the same deck type.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Would definitely play Legacy if I could afford it though, I've seen some totally rad decks in this tourney and in the monthly Legacy event they used to do by me.

I know I've said it a thousand times in the Eternal thread but I firmly believe anyone posting in these threads could afford to get into legacy. You just have to decide to do it man, pick a deck, start grabbing some pieces one at a time.

It's not like standard, you can take your sweet time grabbing pieces, that cuts the price down a TON there's a huge spread on what a card can cost if you can afford to be patient. People buy list to stores all the time for way less than retail right? The other day I grabbed a Tundra for a friend off a guy for 95 dollars.

I asked him to grade it, he said "I guess slightly played to moderately played" we noticed buy lists ranged between 120-140, I said so we agreed. 130, then we knocked off for condition, like any store would, 104. I offered 95.

"You can mail to someone for 2 dollars, hope they agree with its condition, wait for your check, or eat another percentage on PayPal fees. Or you can take my 95 dollars right here and right now"

Once your out looking for deals, and have the ability to wait until they show up. Its so much easier. At a PTQ once I grabbed a playset of Wasteland for 120 from a dude desperate for gas money when his friend screwed him and the one vendor had already started breaking down.

Every single person I know has said "It's way easier than I expected once I started doing it" A bit after rotation take a look at your binder and compare what you can get now for what cards where at their peak. Standard is the expensive format man, Standard.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 10, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I won in 2.

turns out 4x Leyline of the void 4x Serum Powder really kills manaless dredge.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
DrStab stabbed me in the penis to death.

DrStab: 2
Kraus: 0

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I know I've said it a thousand times in the Eternal thread but I firmly believe anyone posting in these threads could afford to get into legacy. You just have to decide to do it man, pick a deck, start grabbing some pieces one at a time.
I tried doing this with goblins. I got everything I needed except for wasteland and rishadan port, then those cards skyrocketed to be 90% of the entire deck cost, and then deck stopped being a deck.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's not like the Gobbos have plummeted in value or anything some cards like Piledriver are down sure but lots of the other key cards, Lackey, Fetches, and Vial haven't really dropped and are either still staples in other decks or they've still got loads of casual appeal, you could easily trade them for the bodies of another Vial/Port/Wasteland deck like Death and Taxes or Dredge, or loads of other options.

I certainly won't pretend that Goblins disappearing from the meta halfway through you putting it together doesn't suck but it's not like its a deathblow. If I had "everything but the ports" it'd take me maybe a month to turn those into the heart of another deck.

EDIT: It's totally understandable to say "that's a lot of hassle when I could just play modern/standard" Legacy certainly has a barrier to entry and I sympathize with anyone who isn't willing to deal with that. I'm just trying to make the point that if Legacy is a format you want to play, money isn't the only way to overcome the barrier to entry. A bit of effort and patience can get you a long way.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 10, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's not like the Gobbos have plummeted in value or anything some cards like Piledriver are down sure but lots of the other key cards, Lackey, Fetches, and Vial haven't really dropped and are either still staples in other decks or they've still got loads of casual appeal, you could easily trade them for the bodies of another Vial/Port/Wasteland deck like Death and Taxes or Dredge, or loads of other options.

I certainly won't pretend that Goblins disappearing from the meta halfway through you putting it together doesn't suck but it's not like its a deathblow. If I had "everything but the ports" it'd take me maybe a month to turn those into the heart of another deck.

EDIT: It's totally understandable to say "that's a lot of hassle when I could just play modern/standard" Legacy certainly has a barrier to entry and I sympathize with anyone who isn't willing to deal with that. I'm just trying to make the point that if Legacy is a format you want to play, money isn't the only way to overcome the barrier to entry. A bit of effort and patience can get you a long way.

i built legacy delver, because it was within my grasp to get to from modern delver. I got 3 volcanics and 3 forces (had 1) of some trades and a little cash. I'm still sort of surprised they banned Treasure Cruise in legacy, and now i don't really know what I should do. I have modified the deck, but I'm pretty sure it is way worse against a competitive field than it used to be. If goyf see's a reprint this summer and his price goes down some, I have been seriously thinking about just moving my legacy stuff into goyfs lili's and bobs. I'd have the key pieces of every major modern arch type then. legacy was a super fun idea even without a ton of events firing in my local area, but now that the deck is much less competitive I just have these really valuable cards collecting a lot of dust that I could turn into poo poo I can use 2+ times a month. I attend 2-4 modern events a month, realistically I'll attend 1-2 legacy events a year.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Wadjamaloo posted:

I tried doing this with goblins. I got everything I needed except for wasteland and rishadan port, then those cards skyrocketed to be 90% of the entire deck cost, and then deck stopped being a deck.

If you should have learned anything from this tournament, it's that any legacy deck is a deck if you want it to be. People still play Goblins because Goblins is still fun as gently caress and it's plenty possible to win games.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jassi007 posted:

I just have these really valuable cards collecting a lot of dust that I could turn into poo poo I can use 2+ times a month. I attend 2-4 modern events a month, realistically I'll attend 1-2 legacy events a year.

I mean its all about what you want to do. If Legacy isn't something you want to play anymore then certainly get out of it. If you're just not sure right now, then I always advocate patience when it comes to getting rid of expensive staples. I don't know about you but I hear some variation of "Man I traded my Bayous for Bonfire of the Damned" every week at FNM, and at least 100 times at any sizable event (remember in 2012 when Bayou was 50 and Bonfire was 60?) you might not get to play Legacy right now but you never know, maybe a year from now you're in an area with a great active scene, maybe you find a deal and suddenly you've got all you need for a different deck because a playset of Volcs and Forces are waiting at home?

From what I remember you've got a solid Modern Collection, with good options for events, no real reason to go chasing staples, especially since reprints are certainly coming over the next year.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

If you should have learned anything from this tournament, it's that any legacy deck is a deck if you want it to be. People still play Goblins because Goblins is still fun as gently caress and it's plenty possible to win games.
Don't kid yourself, goblins isn't a deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's not like standard, you can take your sweet time grabbing pieces, that cuts the price down a TON there's a huge spread on what a card can cost if you can afford to be patient. People buy list to stores all the time for way less than retail right? The other day I grabbed a Tundra for a friend off a guy for 95 dollars.

I asked him to grade it, he said "I guess slightly played to moderately played" we noticed buy lists ranged between 120-140, I said so we agreed. 130, then we knocked off for condition, like any store would, 104. I offered 95.

"You can mail to someone for 2 dollars, hope they agree with its condition, wait for your check, or eat another percentage on PayPal fees. Or you can take my 95 dollars right here and right now"

Once your out looking for deals, and have the ability to wait until they show up. Its so much easier. At a PTQ once I grabbed a playset of Wasteland for 120 from a dude desperate for gas money when his friend screwed him and the one vendor had already started breaking down.

Every single person I know has said "It's way easier than I expected once I started doing it" A bit after rotation take a look at your binder and compare what you can get now for what cards where at their peak. Standard is the expensive format man, Standard.

I don't play Standard except for the cheapest decks :v: Also I am building a Legacy deck, but it's that mono-white Soldier prison deck that's only $350 and doesn't run any OG duals or format staples so I feel like I'm missing out on The True Legacy Experience, if such a thing exists.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

I don't play Standard except for the cheapest decks :v: Also I am building a Legacy deck, but it's that mono-white Soldier prison deck that's only $350 and doesn't run any OG duals or format staples so I feel like I'm missing out on The True Legacy Experience, if such a thing exists.

Showing up to an event with a janky mono-coloured tribal deck and crushing people whose decks cost more than a car is The True Legacy Experience.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Wadjamaloo posted:

Don't kid yourself, goblins isn't a deck.

If you can shuffle it, it's a deck. Stop being a coward and play games with it. (Ports are kind of narrow but you will never run out of uses for those Wastelands.)

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Lol you're doing it so right, so very right. Shine on man.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Showing up to an event with a janky mono-coloured tribal deck and crushing people whose decks cost more than a car is The True Legacy Experience.

I actually chose to run it in this tourney for some early practice instead of running some deck I'd never be able to afford, and I have to say it's been a lot of fun. I hope I actually get to use it in paper someday.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

At my very first Legacy event, I took my Tempered Steel deck, swapped in some Enlightened Tutors, and went 1-3. The 1 was a real Legacy Affinity deck losing violently to 0-land keeps and the old legend rule between our Mox Opals...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I mean its all about what you want to do. If Legacy isn't something you want to play anymore then certainly get out of it. If you're just not sure right now, then I always advocate patience when it comes to getting rid of expensive staples. I don't know about you but I hear some variation of "Man I traded my Bayous for Bonfire of the Damned" every week at FNM, and at least 100 times at any sizable event (remember in 2012 when Bayou was 50 and Bonfire was 60?) you might not get to play Legacy right now but you never know, maybe a year from now you're in an area with a great active scene, maybe you find a deal and suddenly you've got all you need for a different deck because a playset of Volcs and Forces are waiting at home?

From what I remember you've got a solid Modern Collection, with good options for events, no real reason to go chasing staples, especially since reprints are certainly coming over the next year.

Agree, and that is my current plan. If goyfs got a reprint and lets say dropped to 100 a pop, it might be time to move those volcanics and FoW and become the king of modern :P For now I have a deck and will be hitting up some events this year, so who knows. I just think UR delver is weak. i'd love to transition it into Jeskai delver, we'll see if i can find some Tundra's for a reasonable price/deal at some point this year. I have enough stuff in modern to basically outfit a 8 man FNM. I have UWR everything, u tron, rg tron, affinity, infect minus the nobles, burn, storm, almost all of fish. I could also pick up splinter twins or scapeshifts and play those. I like being able to bounce around the meta.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

LordSaturn posted:

At my very first Legacy event, I took my Tempered Steel deck, swapped in some Enlightened Tutors, and went 1-3. The 1 was a real Legacy Affinity deck losing violently to 0-land keeps and the old legend rule between our Mox Opals...

Mine was me thinking I was going to our weekly Modern night and showing up with Esper Mill. Lost in 2 to Punishing Jund but beat Manaless Dredge 2-0. Game 1 was the most I've ever had to think while playing Mill, but game 2 I hit the turn 2 RIP and that was that :goleft:

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I won 2-0 over lonequid.

lonequid
Sep 26, 2004

Last fighter of the Euro Conversion Resistance League
I don't know why Joe Lossett only ran 2 Plains in this version of the deck, but Wasteland + Liliana hurts.

muon wins 2-0

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

We're playing in a weird meta, out in the wilds of the SCG open series, Wasteland has waned a lot on popularity, if you grabbed a recent Losset miracles list, chances are he has less basics because the list is tuned to that environment.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

i built legacy delver, because it was within my grasp to get to from modern delver. I got 3 volcanics and 3 forces (had 1) of some trades and a little cash. I'm still sort of surprised they banned Treasure Cruise in legacy, and now i don't really know what I should do. I have modified the deck, but I'm pretty sure it is way worse against a competitive field than it used to be.

UR delver with PoPs and lavamancers is still a very strong deck. It has won some scg opens in the past.

lonequid
Sep 26, 2004

Last fighter of the Euro Conversion Resistance League

Ciprian Maricon posted:

We're playing in a weird meta, out in the wilds of the SCG open series, Wasteland has waned a lot on popularity, if you grabbed a recent Losset miracles list, chances are he has less basics because the list is tuned to that environment.

That makes sense; this is from GP Richmond in November. Not that I know how to pilot this deck properly at all, but losing all of my W sources hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

UR delver with PoPs and lavamancers is still a very strong deck. It has won some scg opens in the past.

PoP->Snap->PoP is a pretty solid play.

• Locked thread