Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Huh, thought that the APs that revisited the scenes from the films was due to that, I could swear Caleb said something about it in an interview.

Anyways, that's incredibly funny because I can't loving stand the books (I should reread them in English instead of Spanish, the prose should be better at least :v:) but I found the movies pretty interesting. I don't mind the differences and I love seeing all the cool characters that didn't get screentime. I think Battle for the Middle Earth 2 did the best mix of movies and books so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

sirtommygunn posted:

First Planet Podcast got spoilers for the Dark Eldar of Zogwort's Curse: http://firstplanet.podbean.com/

Man, what's with all the DE love? Has DE even gotten a bad card yet in these packs?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I really hope the Eldar get an Autarch Warlord next.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Man, what's with all the DE love? Has DE even gotten a bad card yet in these packs?

Well, there's both of their cards from the Gift of the Ethereals pack. The Scourge had a couple bad ones but Klaivex Warleader more than makes up for that.

Of course they got better anyway, since Eldar had no loyal cards in this pack and the only loyal Chaos card is a competitor for worst card in the game.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 9, 2015

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Azran posted:

Huh, thought that the APs that revisited the scenes from the films was due to that, I could swear Caleb said something about it in an interview.

Anyways, that's incredibly funny because I can't loving stand the books (I should reread them in English instead of Spanish, the prose should be better at least :v:) but I found the movies pretty interesting. I don't mind the differences and I love seeing all the cool characters that didn't get screentime. I think Battle for the Middle Earth 2 did the best mix of movies and books so far.

Nah, what he said was that the movies influenced how we all think of some things and his example was Moria. If you ask anyone their quintessential Moria experience would involve waves of goblins, but that's not really what happened in the books, it's just a movie thing. He didn't say anything about rights to the films.

I also hate the books and the prose is terrible in English too. I can't stand how dry Tolkien is.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Azran posted:

I really hope the Eldar get an Autarch Warlord next.

Next one is phoenix lord Baharoth. his card text is just "mobile".

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Epi Lepi posted:

Nah, what he said was that the movies influenced how we all think of some things and his example was Moria. If you ask anyone their quintessential Moria experience would involve waves of goblins, but that's not really what happened in the books, it's just a movie thing. He didn't say anything about rights to the films.

I also hate the books and the prose is terrible in English too. I can't stand how dry Tolkien is.

It's a dense read that takes a lot of effort to keep mentally fluid. On the other hand, listening to it on audiobook is astounding. I can't recommend a good audiobook of LotR enough. Made my commute wonderful and really provided imagery that had escaped me in the past when I'd read (made Tom Bombodil better, made their flight in the night clearer, the geography of Helm's deep made more sense...basically everything was better thanks to having someone speak versus having to read).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ended up playing Mirkwood cycle 4 sphere with some newbs, and I basically hastily assembled "piles of good cards" from the Mirkwood cycle expansions. The only cards I took from another expansion are the Gandalfs from the first hobbit expansion (he's a HOUSE).

Went pretty well, we beat every encounter we played! We didn't play Escape from Dol Guldur or Return to Mirkwood. Ended up being a little easier than I expected because with four players you can all execute to a plan. For example, when fighting trolls, we made Gimli into a god drat fortress while healing him, giving him dunedain defense, citadel plate, unexpected courage, steward for one of his bros, etc. We also gave the lore player enough resources via Theodred and the card that shifts resources to make sure they could draw and search for forest snares.

I think 4 player tends to give the advantage to the players simply because there are more options to push a particular combo; for each extra encounter card, they are less likely cleverly benefit the other encounter cards in the same way that each extra player can benefit that gimli or eowyn or whatever. Imrahil would go off sometimes, too, Legolas always had something to kill, etc.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Searing Brand is arguably not a good card. 3 unpreventable damage for 3c is okay, but the cancellation ability means that your opponent will always get to pick the option that's worse for you. Being able to discard two cards to cancel three damage is almost better then using shields. It's a little improved by the two shields, but without potential Torture synergy I consider it unplayable.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Ended up playing Mirkwood cycle 4 sphere with some newbs, and I basically hastily assembled "piles of good cards" from the Mirkwood cycle expansions. The only cards I took from another expansion are the Gandalfs from the first hobbit expansion (he's a HOUSE).

Went pretty well, we beat every encounter we played! We didn't play Escape from Dol Guldur or Return to Mirkwood. Ended up being a little easier than I expected because with four players you can all execute to a plan. For example, when fighting trolls, we made Gimli into a god drat fortress while healing him, giving him dunedain defense, citadel plate, unexpected courage, steward for one of his bros, etc. We also gave the lore player enough resources via Theodred and the card that shifts resources to make sure they could draw and search for forest snares.

I think 4 player tends to give the advantage to the players simply because there are more options to push a particular combo; for each extra encounter card, they are less likely cleverly benefit the other encounter cards in the same way that each extra player can benefit that gimli or eowyn or whatever. Imrahil would go off sometimes, too, Legolas always had something to kill, etc.

This may be true in Mirkwood, but if you're not playing super optimized decks it can get real hairy in the other cycles. The extra cards drawn combined with surge just gets ridiculous. Then you get things like Archery X and things can get scary as heck.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Some quests really don't play well with lots of players. The first quest in the Fellowship cycle will have everyone constantly making hide tests that will probably gently caress with you for a while if you have lots of players.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

This may be true in Mirkwood, but if you're not playing super optimized decks it can get real hairy in the other cycles. The extra cards drawn combined with surge just gets ridiculous. Then you get things like Archery X and things can get scary as heck.

Does Easy Mode deal with that in any way?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Azran posted:

It removes some of the nastier cards from the encounter deck, and gives you extra starting resources, so it should make it easier, but some quests will always be harder with more players, and some will be easier with more players. It all depends on the quest.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The Watcher in the Water and Redhorn Gate are finally in stock again. Now the only thing I still can't find anywhere is the Steward's Fear.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Azran posted:

Easy mode removes some cards from each quest which means you might see less of some of the really awful cards, but the shrunken encounter deck means you'll cycle through it more quickly. That could be good, could be bad depending on the quest.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I see, thanks.

Also, a small rules-question: some cards like the Ethir Swordsman say "Every character you control". Does it include itself if it qualifies for the effect? (In this case, it is an Outlands character)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If it didn't include itself it would say "every other character" instead so yes it does effect itself.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

If it didn't include itself it would say "every other character" instead so yes it does effect itself.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

Uber Grotesque, Visions of Agony, and Soul Seizure are all bad at least until Urien comes out. Bladed Lotus Rifle is bad until more non-ranged Kabalite units start seeing play. Despise is pretty bad, and Sslyth Mercenary is extremely double-edged at best.

That said, DE did get Archon's Palace and Klaivex Warleader, which are both 5/5 standout cards.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive been trying to get Orks to work recently, and Klaivex is such a massive kick in the dick to the way Nazdrag plays. Very frustrating. Oops, I used an ork kannon to proc brutal on my 7 hp dude IM DEAD

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

New LotR preview! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5362

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What do you guys think of Nightmare decks for LotR? Anyone played the most recent sets for Heirs and the second Hobbit expansion?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
^^ I simply have not reached the point where I need to freshen up the game by making well known quests harder...Who knows when, if ever, I get there.

Seriously can't come soon enough. At least a good part of my excitement is based off the fact I will be finally playing a cycle as it is released haha

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I just really want to see them fill out rangers and dunedain since that's my spirit animal

e: I mean look at this guy, he's going basically "come at me bro" the card

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 12, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The second tactic event they spoiled seems seriously cool and unique. We're just missing Spirit Aragorn and who wants to be King Aragorn will be neutral. :v:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So I picked up the 40K Conquest core box after trying it out. The simple question, is there a way to build up two factions without buying repeats of all the packs, like being able to buy certain cards in quantity's of 3? Or are you stuck buying multiple packs/core sets for stuff you want?

Edit>> I should mention this is going to be more for casual play, not really planning to do tournaments.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 13, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

So I picked up the 40K Conquest core box after trying it out. The simple question, is there a way to build up two factions without buying repeats of all the packs, like being able to buy certain cards in quantity's of 3? Or are you stuck buying multiple packs/core sets for stuff you want?

You need multiple cores, but not multiple packs. Every expansion pack has 3 of every card, so buying only one gets you the max of each card you could ever use in a deck.

But the core has a lot of 1-off cards, so multiple cores is required if you want maximum deck building options.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
You kind of need to buy 3 to have the best kind of decks. 3core also hits the sweet spot of 6 of each neutral (Void Pirate and co.) so you can make 2 fully competitive 2-faction decks.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Slandible posted:

Edit>> I should mention this is going to be more for casual play, not really planning to do tournaments.

Packs come with 3x copies of everything, but there's no way that I know of (aside from trading/eBay) to fill up cards for one faction only. That said, two cores should be enough to make deckbuilding interesting for casual play. I personally like having three, since it gives me the most flexibility and also means I can have two decks built at once with 3x Promotion 3x Void PIrate 3x Rogue Trader (which are pretty good in almost every faction right now).

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Fetterkey posted:

Packs come with 3x copies of everything, but there's no way that I know of (aside from trading/eBay) to fill up cards for one faction only. That said, two cores should be enough to make deckbuilding interesting for casual play. I personally like having three, since it gives me the most flexibility and also means I can have two decks built at once with 3x Promotion 3x Void PIrate 3x Rogue Trader (which are pretty good in almost every faction right now).

It is worth noting that there are a few decks - Eldar really stand out, currently - moving away from 3 of autoinclude of these cards. In fact, I run NONE in Eldorath right now. I may move back to running Pirates/Traders, but they're not needed as much as they were previously.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, agreed. Out of my 3 currently built decks (eldorath, shadowsun, and nazdrag) orks is the only deck that has a bunch of the neutral stuff command stuff. Tau and Eldar are just naturally really solid at command.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, agreed. Out of my 3 currently built decks (eldorath, shadowsun, and nazdrag) orks is the only deck that has a bunch of the neutral stuff command stuff. Tau and Eldar are just naturally really solid at command.

I still would use at least 1-2 each Pirate/Trader in Tau - depending on mileage. If you're running Taudar then you have Survivalist...so maybe 1 each? At this point I'd want 3 more Survivalists before I'd want more Traders/Pirates, lol

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I got in a few basic games of Conquest the other day and I think I've got it down now. The only thing I wasn't completely sure on was some of the neutral cards and Eldar ones with a card or resource icon with +1 on them. I assumed that was they get that bonus if they win during the command struggle only.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's how it works. It's a modifier to the planet's resource icons (and they get blanked along with the planet if the planets icon/s gets blanked), paid out like the ones that are already on there when a command struggle is won. The only difference to the printed planet icons is that they only work for the player that owns the modifying unit.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I bought The Watcher in the Water Nightmare pack on a whim and I'm surprised at how vibrant the print on demand cards are relative to the normal cards. I love the art in LotR LCG but have always found it to be a bit dark and washed out, with details sometimes being lost when you sleeve them. Sort of similar to watching a dark movie on a poor LCD; details on the dark cards are hard to make out.

If they did an alternate art print on demand pack similar to their Aragorn promo that included various staples I would buy the heck out of that. Of course, that would probably eat into sales of the expansions themselves. But maybe they could do the Core set heroes or something. I'd like a more aggro representation of Legolas and Gimli, for example. A rare moment of Gandalf unleashing his limit break would be pretty sweet for an alternate art card, too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm amazed at how... passive I guess Gimli's card looks, even in comparison to mild action poses like Gandalf's or Legolas'.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm imagining alternate art gimli wearing a suit of plate mail with a ring mail jacket on top of it, drenched in blood, doing a one inch punch that explodes a hill troll into a cloud of guts

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

After playing a three player LOTR game with my friends, a really interesting critique came up. We were doing Passage Through Mirkwood and I used the monosphere decks recommended in Tales from the Cards. But they complained about having to keep 2/3 copies of every single card in their deck, citing it was "boring". We didn't have this problem with Conquest where I made sure our decks were full of 1 of-s just for variety, but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm wondering if I should stick to Easy Mode while only keeping 2 cards of each kind of ally on their deck, to improve variety.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Azran posted:

After playing a three player LOTR game with my friends, a really interesting critique came up. We were doing Passage Through Mirkwood and I used the monosphere decks recommended in Tales from the Cards. But they complained about having to keep 2/3 copies of every single card in their deck, citing it was "boring". We didn't have this problem with Conquest where I made sure our decks were full of 1 of-s just for variety, but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm wondering if I should stick to Easy Mode while only keeping 2 cards of each kind of ally on their deck, to improve variety.

The thing about LotR is that most people build their decks for consistency which means sticking to the 50 card minimum deck size and having redundancy in your cards so that you're more likely to know what will be in your hand. You can try building decks with more one of a kind cards but of course you reduce the likelihood of drawing any one of those individual cards. Tales from the Cards has a good post about probability in relation to the game: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/a-note-on-probability/#more-2612

With that information you should be able to decide on ways to put some more variation in your decks without sacrificing essential bits of the deck. And you probably don't have to drop to Easy immediately even if you do make a super inefficient deck. Also, just playing around with different decks will make you guys more aware of what cards end up sitting in your hands all game and which end up being must use cards which will help your deckbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, at some point I want to make singleton decks for LotR since that was fun self-imposed constraint in Magic. Although, the card pool is quite a bit more limited in LotR so it's going to be harder to find nearly identical cards to fill certain staples. But I think you could pull it off, especially if you fudged a bit on some of the cards. Like, keep 3 of Hasty Stroke and Test of Will but only use singletons of allies and attachments etc. Keep 3 of certain bomb cards like Steward.

The problem is that you will sort of be forced into a 'pile of good cards' type of deck as opposed to a deck built around a certain mechanic (like "response on leaves/enters play effects), because the card pool is just so narrow that it's hard to even build mechanically focused decks without the 1 of constraint. I actually think that that might make things *more* samey than decks that are more narrowly focused on a mechanic.