Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The lil tofu bits and peanuts are the best part of granny sauce imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

GrAviTy84 posted:

If I cook a steak indoors I set off my smoke detector for pretty much an hour straight even with all the windows open and fans on them

I used to do the same thing so now I have to disconnect the detectors before I throw the beef down.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you guys handle wok related poo poo, wear long sleeves because hot splashing oil sucks. Don't be like those wife beater wearing restaurant dudes with scars and callouses over the arm and hands.

Think they all burnt their finger tips as well.

Oh and toss with 2 hands. You can get pretty bad RSI.

In terms of less offensive after-cook smelling meats, seems like chicken is the way to go. Add mushrooms or green veggies to soak up the grease

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Hey, I think I'll contribute to this thread again!

Mapo Tofu

One of the most well known dishes out of Sichuan province, firey hot, aromatic, and absolutely delicious. If you think you don't like tofu, you've never had this before. I mostly follow Fuchsia Dunlop's recipe with a few changes that I will mark.

Ingredients

1 block bean curd (She doesn't say what kind, I prefer silken for this application), cut into cubes
3 cloves garlic, minced
equal amount of ginger, minced (she doesn't have either garlic or ginger, I think they are sorely missing from the recipe)
3 scallions, sliced thin on the bias
1/3 lb of beef (she says beef, I prefer pork)
2.5 tbsp Sichuan chili bean paste
1 tbsp fermented black beans, lightly crushed
1 cup stock of your choice, chicken is fine
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp light soy
1/2 tsp roasted Sichuan peppercorns, ground
dash white pepper
cornstarch slurry
toasted sesame oil or chili oil (optional, she doesn't use it, I think it rounds out the dish a bit)
1 tbsp minced Sichuan pickled vegetables (optional, she doesn't use it, I think it brightens the dish considerably)
ground dried hot peppers, to taste, I like about 2 or 3 ground chile japones (this is quite spicy)

In a hot wok, add a bit of neutral oil, swirl. Heat till just barely smoking, add ground meat, stir fry breaking the mince into small clumps. Add garlic, ginger, sichuan peppercorn, ground chile, white pepper, and black beans stir and allow to get fragrant. Add bean paste, tofu, soy sauce, and stock. Bring to a boil, and add enough cornstarch slurry to make the sauce glaze the tofu. Serve garnished with scallions.

Thanks for the recipe! For the fermented black beans and sichuan chili bean paste, I have a bottle of this: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Kum-Kee-Ground-Sauce/dp/B00FZH2OWK in my pantry. Is this either of the bean sauces you mentioned? Or do I need to go hunting for other pastes/beans? If the bean paste isn't right, can I add chilis to it instead of buying a new bottle of chili bean paste?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

One of these days my wok will be as black as that and I will have a house with an outdoor range so I can really have some fun.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Kind of weird but can anyone recommend a book about historical Chinese cooking techniques? For instance I know that stir fry requires incredibly powerful heat but how was that achieved before pressurized gas? Stuff like that. I might be a huge dork.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Kind of weird but can anyone recommend a book about historical Chinese cooking techniques? For instance I know that stir fry requires incredibly powerful heat but how was that achieved before pressurized gas? Stuff like that. I might be a huge dork.

One of my cookbooks explains it... pretty much as you suspect, they just sat on huge clay stoves with hot coals heating up the woks. If I had to guess, today's expectation of "perfect" wok-hei didn't really evolve until the invention of the gas cooker.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
This is going to sound silly, but please bear with me. How do you wash your rice? Do you just put a cloth in a strainer and run water through, or what? I just bought a big bag of rice from Carrefour, with plans to start making more local dishes at home.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

shaitan posted:

One of my cookbooks explains it... pretty much as you suspect, they just sat on huge clay stoves with hot coals heating up the woks. If I had to guess, today's expectation of "perfect" wok-hei didn't really evolve until the invention of the gas cooker.

That's cool, anything is really interesting to me

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

shaitan posted:

So, basically a kamado / big green egg?

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

You can still get pretty good Wok Hei with a coal fired wok- the smokiness from the coals also plays a part.

There's a very big and renowned Pad Thai place in Bangkok that uses coal fired stoves only, and they achieve good Wok Hei.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

YF19pilot posted:

This is going to sound silly, but please bear with me. How do you wash your rice? Do you just put a cloth in a strainer and run water through, or what? I just bought a big bag of rice from Carrefour, with plans to start making more local dishes at home.
I use the old japanese method. Put rice and water in a bowl. Mix. Carefully pour out the starchy water. Repeat a few times.

If you own a fine mesh stainer you can just use that without a cloth.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I remember those Chinese charcoal stoves growing up in Malaysia.

They look like little clay chimneys. If you want to give it a shot, I think you can improvise one out of a clay pot. Or order one online.

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stove_Thailand.jpg

Edit: if you want to pump up the heat in the traditional Chinese way, and this will work for a charcoal BBQ too, get a big fan (traditionally made from palm fronds) and fan it like crazy. I mean, people used to smelt iron this way, so there is definitely potential for serious wok hei.

Edit2: if you want to be a lazy rear end American, experiment with a blow dryer or leaf blower.

ascendance fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 8, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

YF19pilot posted:

Put it all in a fine mesh strainer, run water through it while working the rice with one hand.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

I am lazy and buy more expensive CalRose that says on the bag that you don't need to wash it.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pookah posted:

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

And yeah, those cubes are tiny fried tofu cubes and they are spicy , crunchy (or sometimes chewy) and also delicious.
LGM black bean sauce is also excellent, but in different circumstances - this recipe is p. good:

http://jonoandjules.com/tag/laoganma-black-bean-sauce/

Also a very nice dumpling sauce I found somewhere or possibly invented is 3 parts light soy, 2 parts Chinkiang vinegar, I part (or more) LGM chili crisp, plus maybe a pinch of soft brown sugar.

Thanks, that was really helpful....now I need to but the black bean version as well!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Biomute posted:

I made dry-fried chicken today. It was pretty weird and tasted like bacon. While I do love chili bean sauce, I think I prefer this cooking technique for beef, with a sweet sauce.

Anyone have any good recipes with chilli bean sauce? I loving love the stuff but don't find many recipes using it. Especially chicken (and is it used with noodle stir fries at all?)

It's probably just a case of substituting oyster for it in a regular stir fry, but then at what point would you add it?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

ascendance posted:

I remember those Chinese charcoal stoves growing up in Malaysia.

They look like little clay chimneys. If you want to give it a shot, I think you can improvise one out of a clay pot. Or order one online.

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stove_Thailand.jpg

That's basically a kamado without the lid. It fits the wok better than North American kamados where the wok tends to disappear into the stove.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

shaitan posted:

Those coal burning ones actually put most gas burners to shame with heat output. Can easily get up to four digits no problem.

Popular wok hack is to cook on a charcoal chimney.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Those coal burning ones actually put most gas burners to shame with heat output. Can easily get up to four digits no problem.

Popular wok hack is to cook on a charcoal chimney.

Yeah you guys are correct, I was thinking that that setup wasn't common in your typical house like how it can be today... but I guess coal/charcoal setups like that were probably cheap enough to maintain. I'll go digging around my cookbooks and see what the story I read was.. I believe it was from the book "Breath of a Wok"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They still cook on charcoal chimnies in back alleys all over China. It'll give you cancer but so will the rice so who cares! :shurg:

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shaitan posted:

Yeah you guys are correct, I was thinking that that setup wasn't common in your typical house like how it can be today... but I guess coal/charcoal setups like that were probably cheap enough to maintain. I'll go digging around my cookbooks and see what the story I read was.. I believe it was from the book "Breath of a Wok"
Growing up in Malaysia, we had an open air kitchen out back, with a large gas burner and a charcoal stove. The latter was very rarely used. We also had an electric range with an oven in the indoor part of the kitchen, which was very rarely used. This was in, at least in my memory, a good sized 2 story townhouse.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

shaitan posted:

I have this book, it's pretty neat and well worth reading

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

BraveUlysses posted:

I have this book, it's pretty neat and well worth reading

Yeah it was my first introduction into Chinese cooking and taught me a lot of the basics.

I've been to China a few times this past year for work and its always nice impressing clients with my limited (but apparantly impressive for a westerner) knowledge of traditional Chinese food :)

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Most street vendors and a lot of people outside of the cities are still not using gas in China just because of how cheap coal is.

Coal here is usually crushed into a powder and then pressed into these pellets to maximize surface area and speed up the burning process. The result is an incredibly hot fire that creates its own convection currents to increase the heat even more.

These pellets cost about .8 jiao (13cents) or so and burn for about an hour or more providing enough heat to cook an entire dinner.

http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/travels/china_carbon/china_carbon.html

It is only in the new highrise apartments and big cities with tougher pollution controls that people use gas over coal.

PS dude makes awesome fried noodles

Edit: This technology actually came from Japan, but don't tell the Chinese that !

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 10, 2015

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Holy crap! I had no idea they used actual coal dust to cook with. I wonder what that does to smoked meat?

Neat pellet design though. It's giving me impure thoughts about hacking my kamado to cook tandoori.

Or smelt iron.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Mom made steamed grouper last night. It was pretty good and didn't cost too much money. It was too small for the restaurant.

and Vegetable stew. But she threw in some salted pork liver sausage in it as flavouring.

Yeah, it's a teflon wok:ohdear:

caberham fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 10, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That looks more enamel than Teflon

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Aero737 posted:

Most street vendors and a lot of people outside of the cities are still not using gas in China just because of how cheap coal is.

Coal here is usually crushed into a powder and then pressed into these pellets to maximize surface area and speed up the burning process. The result is an incredibly hot fire that creates its own convection currents to increase the heat even more.

These pellets cost about .8 jiao (13cents) or so and burn for about an hour or more providing enough heat to cook an entire dinner.

http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/travels/china_carbon/china_carbon.html

It is only in the new highrise apartments and big cities with tougher pollution controls that people use gas over coal.

PS dude makes awesome fried noodles

Edit: This technology actually came from Japan, but don't tell the Chinese that !

China loves coal and has loved coal forever

One time I was doing what you do on Wikipedia and reading up on cooking with briquettes and found the section re: China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briquette#Use_in_China

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham posted:

Yeah, it's a teflon wok:ohdear:

I'm like, 99% sure that's ceramic coating which is PTFE/PFOA free for precisely the reasons why teflon is bad. Also looks more like a saucepot in profile than a wok.

edit: like dis one: http://www.amazon.com/Vinaroz-Aluminum-Ceramic-Coating-30-Cm/dp/B004GTN6I4

teflon coating is black and sparkly and I've been seeing all the cheap nonstick woks getting replaced by ones similar to this at all the asian markets around here.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 10, 2015

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So what happens to a ceramic coating at high temperatures? It's safe?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nickoten posted:

So what happens to a ceramic coating at high temperatures? It's safe?

It's safer to higher temps. I think in the 800 range. I think it delaminates from the base metal higher than that. Certainly better than teflon from a health POV, probably fine for a home burner, probably not fine for a coal or high intensity gas burner.

as per Teflon though (and enamelware like Staub/Creuset/Lodge/Cuisinart) it's more than just the material, it's also the process of manufacture. Some will be better/more durable than others.

also durability. You're not gonna be thwacking metal wok spades at either, but that's not really that big of a deal.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 10, 2015

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

That sounds great. I'm actually in the market for a secondary wok that I can put all the vinegar and boiling water into that I want without worrying about re-seasoning or anything like that. Would you recommend that one from Amazon for lower heat cooking? I'm *this* close to ordering it. I mean, I have a teflon frying pan for eggs and what not, but it would be nice to have something deeper.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

If you're boiling or using it lower temperatures, why does it need to be a wok vs a regular pot?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nickoten posted:

That sounds great. I'm actually in the market for a secondary wok that I can put all the vinegar and boiling water into that I want without worrying about re-seasoning or anything like that. Would you recommend that one from Amazon for lower heat cooking? I'm *this* close to ordering it. I mean, I have a teflon frying pan for eggs and what not, but it would be nice to have something deeper.

I don't have first hand experience with ceramics, just what I've read, but this one says safe to 850F

http://www.amazon.com/GreenPan-CW000385-002-Dishwasher-Thermolon-Non-Stick/dp/B00JJGZS62/ref=pd_sbs_k_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BDF81KYAWZ9D399RNQF

I also like that the handle is all metal so it can get oven/broiler duty. Maybe someone with irl experience can rec a better one.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Adult Sword Owner posted:

If you're boiling or using it lower temperatures, why does it need to be a wok vs a regular pot?

I'm still in school so I like reducing the number of pots and pans I have for different purposes. If I could find something like the non-stick Japanese wok I used to use (kinda looked like this http://www.amazon.com/Amore-Kitchen...rds=ceramic+wok but probably had teflon), I could use it for a pretty wide range of purposes.

Plus, some Caribbean dishes involve frying aromatics and meat, then adding a bunch of water to boil the meat the rest of the way. I use a relatively light wok-like deep aluminum (I think?) pot for this, but if I could do this with a nonstick pot it would be nice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nickoten posted:

I'm still in school so I like reducing the number of pots and pans I have for different purposes. If I could find something like the non-stick Japanese wok I used to use (kinda looked like this http://www.amazon.com/Amore-Kitchen...rds=ceramic+wok but probably had teflon), I could use it for a pretty wide range of purposes.

Plus, some Caribbean dishes involve frying aromatics and meat, then adding a bunch of water to boil the meat the rest of the way. I use a relatively light wok-like deep aluminum (I think?) pot for this, but if I could do this with a nonstick pot it would be nice.

what about stainless clad Al? http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Standar...inless+clad+wok

not nonstick but guaranteed not to chip or flake like teflon/ceramic might.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

That also seemed like a good choice. Is chipping and flaking a concern if I primarily use bamboo spatulas though? I mean I have some strong metal spoons that I like using with Caribbean cooking but I'm pretty accustomed to the bamboo stuff at this point.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Go with stainless for your basic pots and pans. A decent set will be 100-200, which is pricey when you're in school, but you only need one set ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm like, 99% sure that's ceramic coating which is PTFE/PFOA free for precisely the reasons why teflon is bad. Also looks more like a saucepot in profile than a wok.

edit: like dis one: http://www.amazon.com/Vinaroz-Aluminum-Ceramic-Coating-30-Cm/dp/B004GTN6I4

teflon coating is black and sparkly and I've been seeing all the cheap nonstick woks getting replaced by ones similar to this at all the asian markets around here.

Pretty sure they were talking about the big Teflon wok with the steamed fish in it right above the picture of the ceramic pot.