Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
BULBASAUR gets a free whining pass because he'd actually be putting new FW models to awesome painted hobby use. If he blobbed paint on them or just wanted them for powergaming, he would be destined for a low circle of Nerd Hell.

On the note of things being painted, finally finished my Dimachaeron conversion. Wanted more of a giant Lictor feel than the official model, so I went with that look. The entire main torso, carapace, and tail are all sculpted from clay while the arms were all bashed together from lots of different Nid limbs. Very happy with the final product!

Maw view:

My brother also uploaded photos of all his Ork units in cityfight terrain - they look awesome, so I may collect and share those when it's not 2am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lord Twisted posted:

It astounds me that people can bitch about HH release schedule. 18 legions and they're churning out poo poo every month for this.

Five years ago you were lucky to get like two FW releases a year, god drat.

I think people understand that they can only churn out rules and minis so quickly without it turning into shovelware, but at the same time it really, really feels bad for the people who have to wait literally up to four years (if my dates are right) from the beginning of the series until their legion finally gets something to work with. BULBASAUR sort of has one foot in this category since he actually has rules for his legion but has to wait for models.

Part of it is that they've decided to divide it up by major battles, rather than chronologically--so e.g. the Legions that fought at the Betrayal are the only ones that get anything for the first six months or whatever it was, despite the fact that all the other legions most assuredly existed and were doing something at that time. I can understand the appeal of having a meaty book that focuses on Istvaan or Calth or whatever, but maybe those campaigns should be split apart from the books that build up the legion army lists? I don't really care so much that a book about recreating the Istvaan system battles isn't "for me" as a Thousand Sons player, and I don't mind having the Prospero campaign be years away, I'd just like to be able to brew an army in the meantime.

I think they could have benefited a lot (from the perspective of BULBASAUR, myself, and others like us--fans of the well-developed Legions probably don't have as much to complain about) if they'd spread the releases out horizontally. Give every legion one new toy per release cycle, rather than 3-4 new toys apiece for a handful of legions and cricket chirps for the rest. Of course, this would have required that they shift away from the campaign-based release cycle that they seem to have decided to marry themselves to, as described above.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

oh gently caress off dude this is hardly a hugbox...

lol

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Harlequins are nice. Cool models and all that.

Where are my sister, dawg. I want to get my Immolatin' on.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Not every thread needs to be full on dysentaric pants making GBS threads over every little gripe, real or imagined. There's already one for that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Not every thread needs to be full on dysentaric pants making GBS threads over every little gripe, real or imagined. There's already one for that.

please elaborate how some mild criticism about a release schedule triggers you greatly

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm sorry, I don't speak GBS.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

And then make a base with it.

edit: also those nids are legit :sicknasty: keep it up!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm sorry, I don't speak GBS.

youre very cool

Dump_Stat posted:

Harlequins are nice. Cool models and all that.

Where are my sister, dawg. I want to get my Immolatin' on.

Seriously where the gently caress are sisters plastics?! this poo poo is getting ridiculous

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Moola posted:

Seriously where the gently caress are sisters plastics?! this poo poo is getting ridiculous

Use Eisenkern Valkirs with whatever 3rd party head you like:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Also:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Is this so hard to do, GW? Are plastic SoB really so hard?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

adamantium|wang posted:

That is the only third party power armour I have ever seen that actually looks good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Leo Showers posted:

please elaborate how some mild criticism about a release schedule triggers you greatly

He invented a timeline of releases in his head and is now getting mad that its not been adhered too, and his argument for that is that Forgeworld arent supporting all the players because they've shown new kits for armies that don't have any rules/models yet.

Its bananas.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

It looks more like he assumed FW would be showcasing stuff that already has rules (but not models), and was disappointed they were showing off stuff in the next book* instead of finishing off their backlog of 'units-without-models'.
I completely understand; I was pretty pissed when it took a year and a half years for GW to bring out the Tervigon kit, which was almost as mandatory as having 2 troops and a HQ back in those days.

*I'm assuming the stuff they showed off is stuff from the next book, I don't really follow HH releases

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

He invented a timeline of releases in his head and is now getting mad that its not been adhered too, and his argument for that is that Forgeworld arent supporting all the players because they've shown new kits for armies that don't have any rules/models yet.

Its bananas.

Still more reasonable than literally the entire thread being disappointed in the stormthundereaglehawk and Carl's completely predictable "every one of you are wrong it's totes AWESOM!" response.

On the one hand, you have a guy complaining about FW teasing half or less of a legion in their releases, most notably, not including the upgrade kit to make basic tactical marines. On the other, you have the sort of cognitive dissonance that can only come from sunk cost justification, or a really questionable aesthetic preference.

Sorry Carl, but it looks like a couple traincars slapped together with wings and toggly bits and for the cost that they're sure to charge for one, especially in light of the fantastic looking interceptor shown literally the same weekend, they really dropped the ball on this one.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Sad there's no sign of a Great Harlequin. Wonder if they're going to have an HQ.

New Shadowseer looks awesome, what are you guys talking about?

I didn't say it looked bad, just very similar to the current resin version. For HQs there are still lots of options they could go for, like High Avatar, High Warlock, Master Mime. The first 2 would suggest adding normal avatars and warlocks to the Troupe, and we've not seen any evidence of that.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 10, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The storm bird is awful and looks nothing like its described which is really annoying since I probably would have got one if it wasnt a gigantic thunderhawk.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
there's a plastic sister torso on the immolator kit. Quit your whining Bulbasoes!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

serious gaylord posted:

The storm bird is awful and looks nothing like its described which is really annoying since I probably would have got one if it wasnt a gigantic thunderhawk.

The fuselage looks reasonably close to how I've always imagined it, which was as a larger, slightly sleeker Thunderhawk. The wings just needed to look a lot more elegant.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

The fuselage looks reasonably close to how I've always imagined it, which was as a larger, slightly sleeker Thunderhawk. The wings just needed to look a lot more elegant.

The description of it in the first horus heresy book just made it seem like a gigantic armoured drop ship like in Aliens. But I guess thats what imagination and vague descriptions do. Everyone thinks its supposed to be something different.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cataphract posted:

there's a plastic sister torso on the immolator kit. Quit your whining Bulbasoes!
Then there's even less excuses for them still having entirely metal infantry models.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

koreban posted:

And a realistic scenario would look like:

SCOUTS VS CRONS

Your scenario doesn't account for the extra attack and BS of the Scout Sergeant, nor chucking a Krak Grenade at 'Crons (it you're gonna assault, you may as well do this as you'll be within 8"). Can't be bothered mathing it myself though but it's a reasonable chance of a dead cron (especially if you're Salamanders and master craft that grenade!).

Also I run CCW Scouts because I have old models and they look cool.

The Mhara Gal looks pretty nasty. Could be fun to run against a Daemon player.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

adamantium|wang posted:

This looks fantastic. Yours? Are those Statuesque heads?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The Mhara Ghal would also pretty much mulch whole Grey Knight squads, too - assuming you can get it close enough to proc that S5AP2 autohit.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

The Mhara Ghal would also pretty much mulch whole Grey Knight squads, too - assuming you can get it close enough to proc that S5AP2 autohit.

This. I don't think I've ever seen such a charp, cut-and-cry "you're near this guy, you're DEAD" rule. Even those pariah assassins need to hit a psyker to insta-kill him, but this guy is basically deleting whole units just from being close!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

That is the only third party power armour I have ever seen that actually looks good.

I just wish it wasn't perpetually out of stock.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I like that the Dreadnaught is fleet and can completely move through terrain along with its insta gib field.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Hollismason posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and predict Chaos Daemons or Chaos Space Marine, as the next codex after the mini supplement of Harlequins ( which are amazing miniatures btw and cannot wait to add to my Dark Eldar).I'm a little frustrated by the Necron codex, as I'm having to buy a lot of units that previously were just garbage, but otherwise super happy about it.

You should ignore any internet post that talks about super competitive builds and super meta games and any bullshit like that, there's nothing wrong with having a strong army and army build but it always drives me insane when people are like "competitive 40k" and some units are definitely more powerful than others but saying there's a "meta" to 40k is loving weird.

Like 40k has like a championship or pro circuit like Magic the Gathering. Hell most of LVO is just the same 150 to 200 people ever single year playing against each other and so is Adepticon, with a few stragglers that come in or one off it.

There's no such thing as competitive 40k and any one who says otherwise is lying.

There's 40k tournaments at cons and different places but it's not like this huge organization that runs it and has player rankings, rules, FAQs, qualified judges etc..

jesus christ you are dumb as hell

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Phyresis posted:

no I'm pretty sure he's right brb fielding hormagaunts and pyrovores at my GT

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Phyresis posted:

You taking his posts seriously is pretty dumb too, dude

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

serious gaylord posted:

The description of it in the first horus heresy book just made it seem like a gigantic armoured drop ship like in Aliens. But I guess thats what imagination and vague descriptions do. Everyone thinks its supposed to be something different.

Well the key is that it's supposed to look super sleek and cool to make you think "oh man mankind has really declined since the golden ages of the Crusade" and I don't think it really does that. It was a chance for them to step a way a little from the super square aesthetic of the Thunderhawk, which is presented as a cheap stopgap model, and most other SM fliers. You already sort of saw that with stuff like the Storm Eagle, which has more curves.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The upcoming Harlequin stuff is where I imagined the trend of mini-codexes would go when I heard about it and it's finally here. I might have to incorporate this into my Exodite eldar/dark eldar mix plans now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mange Mite posted:

Well the key is that it's supposed to look super sleek and cool to make you think "oh man mankind has really declined since the golden ages of the Crusade" and I don't think it really does that. It was a chance for them to step a way a little from the super square aesthetic of the Thunderhawk, which is presented as a cheap stopgap model, and most other SM fliers. You already sort of saw that with stuff like the Storm Eagle, which has more curves.

I agree totally, if anything this Storm bird looks like they've taken a thunderhawk and bodged it to carry more stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm selling a frankly ridiculous amount of Warhammer merchandise, books, etc in SA-Mart. Take a gander at what's available, there's hundreds of minis for sale. Lots of old codexes and army books and stuff, too, and a bundle of old Imperial Armour books as well.

(also non-GW stuff by the boatload but hey)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's a bit odd, but a new 40K FAQ has appeared on the GW site. Odd because the FAQs are now housed on the Black Library site, which still has the old version.

e: looks like they are all up on the GW page if you search, when did that happen? Also, DE, Orks and SW also got updated last month. Fairly minor issues by the looks of it.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 10, 2015

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

koreban posted:

Who uses CCW scouts

For 55 point minimal troop units outflanking or as bodies for an HQ delivery from a raven they are way better then bolter scouts. For infiltrating or bodies in a landspeeder then yes, bolter is better but both of those uses require more of a commitment.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

It's a bit odd, but a new 40K FAQ has appeared on the GW site. Odd because the FAQs are now housed on the Black Library site, which still has the old version.

e: looks like they are all up on the GW page if you search, when did that happen? Also, DE, Orks and SW also got updated last month. Fairly minor issues by the looks of it.

Minor?

The soul trap got nerferd again, Instant death of multi wound characters only confers +1S now. What bollox is this ?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

serious gaylord posted:

I agree totally, if anything this Storm bird looks like they've taken a thunderhawk and bodged it to carry more stuff.

I completely agree too. I was expecting a bigger (wider, longer, but not much taller) Storm Eagle but with the Fire Raptor's sleekness. Instead we got what looks kind of like a chunkier, scaled down Star Wars prequel star destroyer ("Venator"?).

Edit: a couple of pages ago, someone suggested removing the dorsal fins/engines and the fins up at the front. That would make it look way better, but still a little clunkier than I envisioned.

Edit again: let me be crystal clear, I think it's uglier than the Stormraven and Stormtalon. I actually like the Thunderhawk and Storm Eagle and I love the Fire Raptor, so I am not a garden variety SM flyer hater. I just really dislike the way that thing looks.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The DE FAQ fucks the Shadow Field.

• Locked thread