Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

A lot of people who gave this episode huge reviews are insisting that all this was "to show how the zombie virus works when you're bitten."

They did that poo poo with Shane. All he hallucinated/saw was a zombo flesh-eating orgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'm not going to reiterate every single point as to why this was a lovely episode that everybody has rightfully pointed out, but I do wonder:

where the gently caress was Karen?!

You know, the lady Tyreese fell in love with?

The lady whose death he went all kill-crazy over?

So kill-crazy he almost beats Rick to death?

So crazy over that (the wiki for "The Grove" ep says) 'Tyreese reveals to Carol that he dreams of Karen every night'

Where his openly-stated desire for revenge is a significant plot arc for several episodes with Carol, Rick, and Ty leading up to his big "moment" of forgiveness?

I mean, if this is supposed to be some big emotional vignette of internal thoughts where the gently caress was she? I like the Govenor as much as the next guy, but Tyreese and G barely interacted. Why the hell would he be there and not her, whose life and death basically defined almost all of Tyreese's development for most of the series?

Christ. Maybe Karen's actress read the script beforehand and decided to bail. I wouldn't blame her.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
With the exception of the "look at the flowers" episode I've been kinda meh on this show for a while, mostly because it seems dedicated to being different from the comics just for sake of being different and the story really suffers because of it. That said, I really liked this episode. Tyreese was becoming a softer, less aggressive character which isn't as much fun to watch but kind of made sense after he forgave Carol. But he was still living in a zombie apocalypse. Soft people become zombie food, not survivors.

This episode did have one hilarious nod to the comics, though. I won't spoil it but holy poo poo I was laughing my rear end off.

e: Also it appears that the voice on the radio Tyreese hallucinates was actually Andrew Lincolin speaking in his native accent. That's kind of neat.

T3hRen3gade fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 10, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I don't think "more comic book like" is the solution to this shows problems.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

socialsecurity posted:

I don't think "more comic book like" is the solution to this shows problems.

If they hadn't diverged so much Andrea wouldn't have become the cringe-inducing zombie fodder she became so I dunno, agree to disagree I guess. Certain logistic issues pop up too, like the actor who plays Carl is physically growing up WAY too fast (much like Bran Stark in Game of Thrones) but I don't want to turn discussion into a "show vs. comics" debate so I'll stop comparing them. Just wanted to throw in my two pennies.

This show doesn't suck. It isn't an award-worthy masterpiece by any means (maybe for the makeup, but even then they're starting to use more and more CGI... uhg) but it's not a terrible way to spend an hour watching TV. This episode wasn't as terrible as people are making it out to be is all I'm saying.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
The episode ended in Tyreese being scalped.

Why did they scalp him?

Looks like the rest of the season is about some dog lunatics.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Never opening this thread again. This is the best TWD has ever been and if you all had your way it would be mindless violence every episode instead of mature storytelling.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Never opening this thread again. This is the best TWD has ever been and if you all had your way it would be mindless violence every episode instead of mature storytelling.
This is not very subtle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

But this is exactly what it is though. This isn't a very mature show.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

But according to this thread, every episode is the worst episode and we're just tacking them onto the list of "worst show ever"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You have to have mature storytelling!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Governor recapping the current episode in PowerPoint = brilliant, mature storytelling.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

LadyPictureShow posted:

My favorite instance of this was in season two. Andrea was derping along through the woods, and this zombie just sneaks out from behind a tree at her. (AND she should have been able to see it as she approached the tree)

E: Just re-watched it. They buried Tyreese with his beanie on, then it's on the makeshift grave marker??? Did they get halfway through burying him then go 'no wait this cross needs a personal touch!'?

That and he had no head trauma. What's to stop him from rising? Very sloppy quality control for that ep.

Lycus posted:

Well, I started watching again because people said the latter prison arc was entertaining and it was, and the Terminus arc was entertaining so I kept watching. So I'm comparing my entertainment/quality level strictly with those parts, not Season 2 when I quit.

The new show runner(whose name escapes me) built up some really solid good will with the great prison/governor resolutions and handling of Terminus. Also, bringing back Morgan, though like someone else, i'd love if he just follows the group and never catches up with them. Ever. But the hospital storyline was poo poo and this start isn't the best start to the second half, but I'll at least watch the rest of this season.

CelticPredator posted:

Oh yeah, garbage episode though. But hilarious. I loved every second of that mediocre David Lynch viewed through a freshman film student scene. The projector lol.

So glad they could let student director Greg Nicotero shoot his mid term at our expense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

You have to have mature storytelling!

Tracks going into a tunnel mean that there are people loving just off screen. Pretty mature imho.

Anyway, I wish TWD would become more mature. I nearly groan every time an episode slips into the mandatory "let's show some more retard zombies now" stage.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

A lot of people who gave this episode huge reviews are insisting that all this was "to show how the zombie virus works when you're bitten."
... but everyone is already infected?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

warcrimes posted:

That and he had no head trauma. What's to stop him from rising? Very sloppy quality control for that ep.

I think it was implied Michonne stabbed him. After they pulled him from the car when he died, she did that 'unsheath katana a li'l bit' thing.

Neophyte posted:

I'm not going to reiterate every single point as to why this was a lovely episode that everybody has rightfully pointed out, but I do wonder:

where the gently caress was Karen?!

You know, the lady Tyreese fell in love with?

The lady whose death he went all kill-crazy over?

So kill-crazy he almost beats Rick to death?

So crazy over that (the wiki for "The Grove" ep says) 'Tyreese reveals to Carol that he dreams of Karen every night'

Where his openly-stated desire for revenge is a significant plot arc for several episodes with Carol, Rick, and Ty leading up to his big "moment" of forgiveness?

I mean, if this is supposed to be some big emotional vignette of internal thoughts where the gently caress was she? I like the Govenor as much as the next guy, but Tyreese and G barely interacted. Why the hell would he be there and not her, whose life and death basically defined almost all of Tyreese's development for most of the series?

Christ. Maybe Karen's actress read the script beforehand and decided to bail. I wouldn't blame her.

Like I said before, I could kinda justify EVERY other hallucination EXCEPT Beth. My buddy said 'she popped up to further her singing career'. Cannibal redneck, Bob, the girls, even the Gov, I can accept; but you're going down for the count and you don't hallucinate your sis or the lady you loved? C'mon son!

Though big ups to cannibal redneck guy. IDK, but I liked his performance. (what the heck was his name???)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 10, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Michonne clearly sighed.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Episode was good. Well as good as any episode of this show which improves every season without ever becoming particularly good somehow. But good in relative terms. Ya. Know.

This thread. So much hate in ur hearts. Let go.... let go

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm not one of the people hate watching the show, but I can say that episode was really loving dumb.

I don't want jammed in zombies. I do want a show where someone can clear a 90 seconds walk in under like 10 minutes to get help, or that knows how to scream if they get pinned on that 90 second walk. I do want a guy repeatedly shown to have been able to slaughter hordes bare handed to be able to stop ONE loving ZOMBIE. I do want main character deaths to further the plot or be interesting.

This episode delivered none of those things.

Remy Marathe posted:

Especially when at this point everyone has tons of experience stabbing things in the head, and it wouldn't have hurt the arc one bit to have her actually successfully kill Dawn with scissors to the temple before getting her own head blown off at the same time.

It sounds like it's not meaningful deaths you want, but a show that uses good writing to make the deaths a plausible consequence of plausible motivations, and uses it to further develop the character's story, or otherwise entertain. I can't disagree but after 4.5 seasons of this show I don't understand why in god's name you would look for it here. It's not a smartly written show. It does have zombies and is slightly more entertaining than midget reality TV.

If Beth had a gun/knife and wanted to kamikaze Dawn, it'd been really loving dumb but at least had a motivation.

I really don't know what in loving hell she was trying to do stabbing her with tiny scissors that probably wouldn't cut your fingernails.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 10, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Hatewatching is dumb. In relative terms, I simply did not enjoy that episode like a Season 4 or Terminus arc episode. In relative terms, I thought it was bad.

In relative terms.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 10, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I "get" what they were going for with this ep but it just felt incompetent and pretentious.

They should just fire all the writers and give Vince Gilligan this show.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Tyrese could hulk out like the best of them, but great men fall all the time when the heart aint in it anymore

Just some real life examples...
*American Hero Chris Kyle killed hundreds, perhaps thousands, of enemy soldiers from distances as far as the eye could see. Yet died to a friend from as close as the hands could feel.
*Brutual boxer Mike Tyson lost his title and win-steak to a nobody after his brutal wife bested him in court, and the court of public opinion
*Infamous conquer Khal Drogo remained undefeated until his death, brought about by infections even I could fight off

The show is really bad about teleporting zombies, but the issue was all on him this time getting sullen before clearing the bathroom, allowing the kid to sneak up on him. Meanwhile the same happens again while he's hallucinating, which fits again since he had pretty much resigned himself as a dead man walking. So he half heartily fights it off until the part where he shoved his bit-rear end-arm in its mouth to escape. Which was cool.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know where they're getting that. The episode was bullshit trippy BEFORE Coach got bit, and not one of the voices in his head was encouraging him to move out and attack anything. I would have been OK with watching a survivor get bit, then fade from themselves to zombie madness, but that isn't what happened here at all.

They're just making excuses for making a poo poo student film.

We got a very brief Zombie pov when Shane turned, it was nothing like what Tyreese experienced and was actually a little cool.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm not one of the people hate watching the show, but I can say that episode was really loving dumb.

I don't want jammed in zombies. I do want a show where someone can clear a 90 seconds walk in under like 10 minutes to get help, or that knows how to scream if they get pinned on that 90 second walk. I do want a guy repeatedly shown to have been able to slaughter hordes bare handed to be able to stop ONE loving ZOMBIE. I do want main character deaths to further the plot or be interesting.

This episode delivered none of those things.

Except Tyrese's arc is about him becoming increasingly non-violent and unable to deal with being in the world that he's in. He shows weakness when he shouldn't and that's his downfall. If it had come completely out of nowhere then I'd think it was dumb (As it is, it's not ideal either) but it's a track with that character that they've been laying for a while. The big theme of the show is about how you adapt to the life and keep going, then what happens when some people can't. Tyrese is essentially a badass who still has a conscience about what he's doing and he lets that get to him. He comes undone because he's basically dreaming and is caught off guard. I don't see the problem with that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Tyrese could hulk out like the best of them, but great men fall all the time when the heart aint in it anymore

*American Hero Chris Kyle killed hundreds, perhaps thousands, of enemy soldiers from distances as far as the eye could see. Yet died to a friend from as close as the hands could feel.

Chris Kyle was literally full of poo poo, and a complete rear end in a top hat, who was getting rich off of flat out making up stories ever since he got back from the war. Eventually he apparently pissed off an even bigger rear end in a top hat. Go google him, unless you believe he really fought Jesse Ventura in a bar and went Punisher on Katrina.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

*Brutual boxer Mike Tyson lost his title and win-steak to a nobody after his brutal wife bested him in court, and the court of public opinion

Or he just passed his prime.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

*Infamous conquer Khal Drogo remained undefeated until his death, brought about by infections even I could fight off

When dark magic and poisons are involved in an infection, I don't think that's a will to live thing.

DrVenkman posted:

Except Tyrese's arc is about him becoming increasingly non-violent and unable to deal with being in the world that he's in. He shows weakness when he shouldn't and that's his downfall. If it had come completely out of nowhere then I'd think it was dumb (As it is, it's not ideal either) but it's a track with that character that they've been laying for a while. The big theme of the show is about how you adapt to the life and keep going, then what happens when some people can't. Tyrese is essentially a badass who still has a conscience about what he's doing and he lets that get to him. He comes undone because he's basically dreaming and is caught off guard. I don't see the problem with that.

Against people. Not zombies. He literally slaughters zombies wholesale on numerous occasions. But he can't bring himself to even kill the very worst person he could find.

All of it would have worked better if he was killed by a human, not a zombie, including the mocking "I told you it'd be you and the kid." Then, it'd really have been Tyreese's weakness that got him killed - maybe he could have come across a child soldier in some warlord's army, given what we saw around the town, that could have fatally shot him. In the show's universe, he'd still turn, but suddenly his hesitation to act and his mindset after would all actually work.

But it wasn't a person. It was a zombie. And he has never showed even a tiny amount of remorse about bashing the skulls in of zombies, no matter their age. He stopped going on runs because he couldn't take losing people.

Long story short, it was NOT his character's weakness that killed him but the fact the actor needed to get off the show and the writers don't have much imagination.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 10, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

*American Hero Chris Kyle

:laffo:

Oh man, I needed that. The night shift takes its toll but that will get me through this week.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

MariusLecter posted:

:laffo:

Oh man, I needed that. The night shift takes its toll but that will get me through this week.

the whole post was great tbh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite part of the episode was Beth's song. I got a real John Darnielle vibe from it and it makes me wonder if she herself picked "Up the Wolves" as the song to play when she and Daryl burned the cabin.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Against people. Not zombies. He literally slaughters zombies wholesale on numerous occasions. But he can't bring himself to even kill the very worst person he could find.

All of it would have worked better if he was killed by a human, not a zombie, including the mocking "I told you it'd be you and the kid." Then, it'd really have been Tyreese's weakness that got him killed - maybe he could have come across a child soldier in some warlord's army, given what we saw around the town, that could have fatally shot him. In the show's universe, he'd still turn, but suddenly his hesitation to act and his mindset after would all actually work.

But it wasn't a person. It was a zombie. And he has never showed even a tiny amount of remorse about bashing the skulls in of zombies, no matter their age. He stopped going on runs because he couldn't take losing people.

Long story short, it was NOT his character's weakness that killed him but the fact the actor needed to get off the show and the writers don't have much imagination.

For me it was pretty clear that he's completely tired of violence and more than that ground down by the life they're part of. It's not violence on humans or on zombies but being violent altogether that he comes to resent. I can't remember because it's before the break, but doesn't he just not kill the walkers outside the prison and then not kill them in the prison? He's having his doubts about being in the world he's in, and doesn't want to be in it anymore.

And I don't think you can go throwing 'facts' around when Chad Coleman gave an interview to say how shocked he was that they decided to kill him off and that the decision wasn't his.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The show is really bad about teleporting zombies, but the issue was all on him this time getting sullen before clearing the bathroom, allowing the kid to sneak up on him. Meanwhile the same happens again while he's hallucinating, which fits again since he had pretty much resigned himself as a dead man walking. So he half heartily fights it off until the part where he shoved his bit-rear end-arm in its mouth to escape. Which was cool.

this post rules

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm the high school attempt at being artistic in a show about zombies. :lol:

Crap episode with poo poo character building which is why the first part was so good this year.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

When you lose interest, for whatever reason, you're less quick to forgive logistical flaws than otherwise.

This episode lost a lot of people's interest, and used zombie "cheats" (ninja silent, stronger than normal when they need them to be) to kill a main character an episode after they used other logistical "cheats" to kill another. You don't have to demonize people that don't agree with the quality of an episode to try to be more "right"; the difference is just that it lost some people's interest more than others.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That makes sense. I guess that's why I loved that episode because the logistics and technical aspects of the zombie apocalypse never bothered me. The zombie kid getting Tyrese was effective for me thematically and emotionally.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Houses have always - well a lot of times - been magical, dreamlike places in this show. They are a chance for characters to go back "before", not only before the plague, but before in themselves emotionally, or for them to experiment with wished for alternate realities.

Two examples before this show: Carl and Michonne's experience in the house with the creepy paintings and Darryl and singer-girl's experience in the morgue-house.

When Tyrese went into the house he entered a realm where his past and inner self became more real and he obv strongly identified with the pictures and the boys room. Maybe the zombie kid was Tyrese killing himself for becoming what he had become. (killing the zombie with a symbol of american imperialism was no accident)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 10, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just waiting for the episode guest directed by Wes Anderson. Eat poo poo, art haters!

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
The thing that most bugged me about this episode is that after years of the group not being able to travel more than a few miles without somebody dying, somehow they made it roughly 600 miles to Richmond without incident? Not only did they fail by not showing us any of that journey, they failed worse by not even telling us about it. No dialogue about the trip, no mentions of problems - or alternatively, of how miraculous it was that they made it there without problems. Granted, they could do all this later in upcoming episodes, but I thought it was a failure of this episode - the first episode after a mid-season break - to not make any effort at all to bring viewers up to speed on such a major change in the location and overall plot.

During one season premiere (before the prison, I think?), didn't they come back and explain that the group had been traveling for months during the winter and were still within a few miles of where they had been the season before? Yet here, between two episodes, they made it farther in a couple of weeks than they previously had in months/years?

And they immediately made this miraculous trip to Richmond because a random new guy told them to, when previously how long did they debate and delay the trip to take Eugene to Washington despite having been with those new guys for quite a bit longer and having more reason to trust them and go with them?

I just have trouble buying it, because it defies the internal logic and rules that the show has been setting up for years. If they can jump a few hundred miles without any explanation whatsoever when previously we've been beaten over the head with how hard it is for them to travel (and survive) even a few miles, what's to keep another episode from opening with Rick and Michonne strolling through vineyards in Italy?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's pretty funny that they didn't encounter anything of value in that six hundred miles too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sith Happens posted:

The thing that most bugged me about this episode is that after years of the group not being able to travel more than a few miles without somebody dying, somehow they made it roughly 600 miles to Richmond without incident?

I actually really liked that because it was like, hey, even in the zombie apocalypse sometimes you have a good day. It would have only taken them a day or two to go that far and it's not really that unreasonable in this show that they found two vehicles that would run for a day or two and that they got lucky and avoided all the rape and cannibal prisons along the way.

Also maybe it's a sign that people and zombies are dying out and the world is paradoxically getting less dangerous now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

It's pretty funny that they didn't encounter anything of value in that six hundred miles too.

There is nothing of value between Atlanta and Richmond, trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should do a webisode of 20 hours of Rick driving 30mph on I85.

• Locked thread