Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Leal posted:

Same. I have like 30 dwarves, none with combat skills, I got nothing for arms and 60 goblins fully armed and armored show up (and are always led by a master marksmen who could kill my entire fort by himself). slayrace goblin, hopefully in 2 seasons I'll have my army up to snuff to play fair.

I thought you had to hit 80 dwarves by default before sieges happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought you had to hit 80 dwarves by default before sieges happen?

Well ambushes, which often have enough combatants in them they may as well be a siege.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Ambushes have some min pop requirements as well now that I think of it, something like 16.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always embark with a Mechanic, and either a Carpenter and/or Glassmaker depending on whether the embark has sand and/or trees. Large, serrated green glass discs and Spiked wooden balls each get 3 attacks per swing in a weapon trap, and it is easy to poo poo out hundreds of them; plus, they are great for training since they have the highest base value (126) of any item type in the game. A small 5-wide corridor with a clear path through the traps seems to work wonders: even against armored goblins and things like minotaurs and giants, a single weapon trap with 10 spiked wooden balls is enough to incapacitate or outright kill, since that is 30 shots at the RNG to roll a collapsed lung or pulped skull. You want a high-skills carpenter and/or glassmaker for Masterwork-quality beds and furniture anyway, so why not put their training regime to use defending the fortress?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

If you want something to repeat endlessly, it wouldn't need a workflow limit at all, just set it to repeat.

Right. The issue here is that I want workflow, because I have an auto-melt stockpile and several other things that I don't want to give up.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Right, I want it too but it isn't working so

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am today finally satisfied with my understanding of the military system in 40.x and am now ready to begin instructing the goons. This post is devoted to archery training.

First of all, I will reference Mechanixm's Archery Training Primer and give a shoutout to /r/MechGuides as a great place to go for learning about barracks, burrows, logic, stockpiles, and presumably more topic as the fancy strikes him. He uses animates GIFs and still shots to illustrate a step by step of exactly what he does and its results, which makes it great especially for his series on stockpiles. Even if you do not want to use Quantum stockpiles, his explanations of routing logic are great, and after reading his series on stockpiles you will know how to actually set up an sand bag stockpile, an auto-melt stockpile, and so on. Reading his posts and reverse engineering what he did allowed me the opportunity to figure a lot of this stuff out, so take a look!

Part 1: Getting Dwarf to Shot Bolt

If you are like most people who try to set up an archery squad, then you have given up on it because poo poo flat does not work. You have probably tried every combination of squad activity, furniture items, equipment assignment, and so on, to no avail. If you have not suffered through that, then great; because, I am going to save you from having to do so! Rather than just give you an image of what works and explain how to set it up, I am going explain to you why it works the way it does. This section assumes you have looked at Mechanixm's Archery Training Primer, linked above.

Checklist:
• Archery dwarves are NOT assigned ANY of the following labours:
. ◘ Hunting
. ◘ Mining
. ◘ Woodcutting
• Archery dwarves are in a military squad
• Archery dwarves have access to military equipment:
. ◘ one backpack per dwarf
. ◘ one quiver per dwarf
. ◘ one flask or waterskin per dwarf
• Archery squad has crossbows assigned and available
• Archery squad has ammunition assigned and available
• Archery squad training schedule features multiple "Train, 1 minimum" orders per month of training
• Archery squad is set to Active/Training or whatever you have named your training military alert
• Archery targets have been built and designated as archery ranges
• Archery ranges have been assigned to the archery squad(s) for training
• Archery ranges are properly sized to allow dwarves to train

We will begin with an image from the MechGuide primer, demonstrating a basic layout:

This is from the section "Sizing the Archery Ranges," where Mech tells you something that is easy to overlook but very important: "Notice how I don't make it the size of the entire room. Leave a 1 tile wide path to be used later." This is a mistake that I made several times while trying to make my own training rooms, and only ever noticed when I was using an outdoor archery range.

This is from the section "Let the Training Begin," where Mech demonstrates a properly functioning archery range. You have 100% training participation, at least at the beginning.

The significant thing to notice about this image and the prior image is the position of the dwarves relative to the designation of the archery range. Dwarves will stand on the tile furthest from the archery target, within the designated area of the archery range. That is a huge deal! If you have your archery range sized to fully fill the room, then you are telling the dwarves to stand inside the wall tiles. Such a design will result in the squad coming in for individual combat training and maybe one or two dwarves will occasionally shoot off a bolt or two from the doorway, but they will mostly ignore the archery ranges. Properly sizing your archery ranges and the room which contains them means that you need to have a walkable, straight line path of at least one tile beyond the furthest point of the designation. Done properly, archers will line up to fire just like in the picture.

Here is an image from my own fortress which uses the exact same method. You can tell where the edge of my archery range designation is, because that's where the marksdwarves are lining up to shoot. Unless you give them months off in between training months, you will never likely see 100% training participation beyond the first month but they will all train. This setup will take the Novice and Adequate marksdwarves you get as Hunter migrants and turn them into Elite Marksdwarves over the course of about a year and a half. But there exist faster ways!

Part II: Live Fire

If you are like most of us, then you start out your fortress with dwarves that build functional things and add craftdwarves later if at all; and, it probably frustrates you when instead of your Adept Weaponsmith a migrant fisherdwarf gets a strange mood and becomes a legendary craftsdwarf. Well, let me clue you in on some wonderful advice: woodcrafters, and to a lesser extent bone carvers, are now your very best friends. You definitely want one, entirely because the change from 34.11 to 40.xx included a revision to how projectile ammunition performs against various targets.

Prior to the militia captain running up and beating the thing's head in with his copper crossbow, The Giant Hamster endured seven pages of being shot at by Elite Marksdwarves using high-quality bone and wood bolts and suffered only minor bruises and tears. Unlike prior versions which effectively modeled bolts as high-speed warhammers—bone and wood bolts used to easily pierce iron armor on goblins to the point that metal ammunition was superfluous—the current version treats them more like training weapons. If you embark in a savage biome, such as Joyous Wilds or Untamed Wilderness, then you will likely be afforded the opportunity to watch your dwarves chase around giant or humanoid versions of animals whose large size lets them absorb dozens of shots before succumbing to exhaustion and the inevitable melee crossbow bash to the head. As shooting a live target gives four times as much experience per shot as shooting an archery target, and dwarves will actually stay on task while executing a kill order, this is obviously the preferred way to train so long as you fight things that are not individually a threat to your group of archers; i.e., stay away from elephants, tigers, and other large predators or otherwise notorious murder beasts.

But even this is inefficient, you say. With that kind of design, you're at the mercy of your biome animal list which might spawn nothing but ravens for years! That is true, and not only that but there also exists a non-zero chance for your dwarves to get hurt while running around the wilds even if it is not by the thing they're shooting: an errant beehive or kea can easily cause your Elite Marksdwarves to dodge off a cliff, or random variations in path finding might lead your dwarves to trying to climb a waterfall to get to their target. There is an even better way!

To the left and one z-level up is the archery range. If you are not familiar with the Phoebus tile set, that thing on the right is a building destroyer-proof airlock that is 20x5 tiles, with fortifications carved into the walls north and south of it. This design has been done to death on the Wiki as part of an entrance corridor, and while it is a great isolation chamber for your entrance it is also the very best archery training method I have so far found. Goblins, especially elite goblins, wearing iron armour are virtually impervious to bone and wood bolts in the current version. If you can trap a cyclops, giant, minotaur, ogre, troll, or some other large thing with thick skin in it, then all the better! The design accommodates a dozen or more dwarves stationed on either side of the shooting gallery.

Let me know if there is any issue with getting marksdwarves to train that I have not yet covered in this post. I will edit it as I discover and resolve problems.

Next post will be about making hybrid melee-ranged units that actually use both weapons! :)

Addamere fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 10, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Neat, it never occurred to me to just stick all the archery targets into one small area, I always built 5x8 or so lanes separated by walls (still might because it looks good). Good to know that you don't have to do that though.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

Granted I love DFHack for some of its other functions as well - I blatantly cheat if a goblin siege shows up year one and I have no remorse over it at all, I like that other people play this game as an ironman restarting sim but personally I'm not interested in that.
Have you considered... closing the doors and locking them out? There's nothing saying you have to fight the goblins each and every time they come by.

Personally, I just use them as ballista target practice and ignore them otherwise. My dwarves are usually FAR too busy building a home between second and third cavern layers to care about surfacers, and the longer the siege hangs around, the longer I get between migrant waves. Given I typically only need a workforce of 20-30 dwarves to be both self sustaining and capable of digging/smoothing/constructing poo poo fast, having more time between migrant waves is absolutely fine by me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Getting all your poo poo secured and indoors in under a year is sometimes a pain, granted it's absolutely possible for pretty much every combination (even MDF) but still sometimes it's a bit hectic.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
It really isn't. I usually get it all inside before the end of the first month. And this is without using quantum stockpiles, or setting up a drop shaft next to the wagon and throwing it all down the hole (Though this is my preferred method when I decide that I want to start building really deep). Just use the hallways for temporary stockpiles while expanding the digs.

I usually use the first ten months of game to clearfell a bunch of forest, do some pre-emptive river rerouting and digging out stuff that needs dug. by the time the first caravan arrives, I usually have enough mechanisms and crafts to buy out whatever I damned well please to make up for any resource shortfalls.

I spend the next few years digging a proper fortress deep down and when the time is right I have my dwarves dismantle the upper fort and migrate down into the deep one, then fill the first one with interesting traps while leaving a pathway for a wagon to go right through it and down into the deep fort proper because I really can't be stuffed operating a depot so far from my fort.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ahahaha it never occurred to me to drop all my poo poo down a hole, that's hilarious.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Workflow is actually working fine for me. There's been only a single instance of a non-workflow, repeating job suddenly getting ignored, and on investigating it that turned out to be because it had somehow been set to use completely invalid materials, despite me never using the job-material command or gui on it. I didn't have any further problems after clearing those.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A little by the way about "icy wind" etc clouds (pretty sure this applies in vanilla to, in evil biomes): if there is any sort of constructed overhang, your bridges and other buildings covered by that will be OK.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh, hey, I nearly forgot. Everyone is familiar with the thing with almost all animals being enormously gigantic? Turns out that's just the description fizzling out, they're actually perfectly normal in all ways.

Get rid of the BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH stuff in the creature raws and everything's neat and fine. That one's multiplying the final value all wrong when combined with the others. It's okay if it's the only one you use, like with snakes or something. Mix it with HEIGHT and BROADNESS stuff and it all goes mad.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 10, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
For people who are experiencing sudden crashes, you might be hitting the same bug I was last night. If you attempt to build anything over any part of a tree (even foliage), the game crashes. It's a known bug.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

scamtank posted:

Oh, hey, I nearly forgot. Everyone is familiar with the thing with almost all animals being enormously gigantic? Turns out that's just the description fizzling out, they're actually perfectly normal in all ways.

Get rid of the BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH stuff in the creature raws and everything's neat and fine. That one's multiplying the final value all wrong when combined with the others. It's okay if it's the only one you use, like with snakes or something. Mix it with HEIGHT and BROADNESS stuff and it all goes mad.
...how long has this tiny thing been doing this, exactly?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

gently caress, I dunno. For the past 5 years? The bug report was filed shortly after v31.01 went up.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

Dwarves will stand on the tile furthest from the archery target, within the designated area of the archery range.

:aaaaa:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

RedTonic posted:

For people who are experiencing sudden crashes, you might be hitting the same bug I was last night. If you attempt to build anything over any part of a tree (even foliage), the game crashes. It's a known bug.

Oh! That's exactly what was happening, thanks! Serves me right for not clearcutting like a proper dwarf.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Is there no way to build a barrier into standing water?

e. ^ No problem! I had a frustrating time with it last night until I finally, finally found out what was happening. I was streaming, too. Embarrassing!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pump (or cheat)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

Pump (or cheat)

Ah, so no way to actually build it into a body of standing water that continues off-map. How irritating. I thought we were able to collapse cavern sections in, but that does not appear to work (if it ever did).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you collapse 2 or more layers of terrain onto water it will plug it, but that doesn't help you with aboveground water since you'll never have terrain overhanging it. If you're talking about underground water yes you should be able to drop layers of rock into it and plug it I think, it has always worked that way for puncturing aquifers for example. Haven't messed with that in quite a while though because aquifers are a massive pain in the balls.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

you'll never have terrain overhanging it.

Someone needs to think with magma and pump stacks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you can pump magma yeah, just drop it into the water and it will become obsidian, although I'm not clear on how that works with multiple Z-depths of water. I have had maps before with a volcano and the caldera was completely surrounded by higher-level water, which flooded in and capped it, but I've never taken the trouble to try what you're talking about. What happens?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
My guess would be "steamed dwarf dim sum."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When I first started playing DF I had an idea for a trap that put enemies in an open pit shaft over a grate, with lava below the grate, and you pour water into the shaft and the lava heats up the water and turns it to steam and blasts the hapless goblin into space but unfortunately

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have seen screenshots of what otherwise looks like the Phoebus tileset with angled corners instead of rounded ones, which makes diagonal walls look really sharp. How they do that?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The Phoebus pack should come with a tileset customizer.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The customizations that come with the PyLNP let me pick a diagonal tileset which makes the walls look entirely different.

I am trying for the Bronzestabbed look, where the walls have a very similar texture to the regular Phoebus_16x16 but with angled corners.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Nietzschean posted:

To the left and one z-level up is the archery range. If you are not familiar with the Phoebus tile set, that thing on the right is a building destroyer-proof airlock that is 20x5 tiles, with fortifications carved into the walls north and south of it. This design has been done to death on the Wiki as part of an entrance corridor, and while it is a great isolation chamber for your entrance it is also the very best archery training method I have so far found.

Can you explain (or just link to the wiki or something) how to use that as part of an entrance? That's something I've never bothered with and never had the patience to read about in the wiki thanks in part due to the fact that there are like a dozen different "design" pages that all seemingly cover similar topics.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

The customizations that come with the PyLNP let me pick a diagonal tileset which makes the walls look entirely different.

I am trying for the Bronzestabbed look, where the walls have a very similar texture to the regular Phoebus_16x16 but with angled corners.

Yeah, you're looking for the "Crenellated" option.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

Can you explain (or just link to the wiki or something) how to use that as part of an entrance? That's something I've never bothered with and never had the patience to read about in the wiki thanks in part due to the fact that there are like a dozen different "design" pages that all seemingly cover similar topics.

Sure!

The basic idea is that you have a stretch of hallway, in this case a 20x5 section going East-West but it can be any length or orientation that fits for you, and the ability to seal off both ends of it. People often do this with bridges, since raised bridges are immune to building destroyers. In the picture there is room to add bridges at the left and right sides, where there are up-ramp triangles; but, right now I have chosen to seal the area with doors on the next level up. In a previous post, I explained how that kind of airlock works. The long and short of it is that a door at the top of two ramps is immune to building destroyers from either side, regardless of whether it is passable, forbidden, or operated by mechanisms. Since you can instantly pause the game and forbid a door, whereas a bridge requires a non-zero length of time for a dwarf to get to a lever, I find that kind of seal superior to bridges.

Anyway! Once you have your corridor dug out that you want to be your entrance tunnel isolation area, you have some choices.

If you want to fiddle with liquids, then you can engineer a way to flood the enclosed space with magma and/or water to burn, drown, or encase in obsidian your enemies. That last option, encasing in obsidian, is particularly attractive since it is one of the few ways to safely deal with procedurally generated enemies (demons, forgotten beasts, titans) with the worst possible combination of abilities: consider, there is a non-zero chance that you will encounter a blob of adamantine that shoots webs, or even better farts clouds of rotting death syndrome. In the picture, I have opted to make this a shooting gallery for marksdwarves instead, by digging a channel on either side of my isolation corridor and carving fortifications into the walls.

With a bunch of fortifications, I can station marksdwarves where they can see and shoot at the enemy but cannot engage in (or be engage by the enemy) melee combat. Since part of the goal of this isolation chamber for me is live fire training I really do not want my dwarves walking up to the enemy and bashing them in the head, because a dead enemy no longer provides a target for training. It is when you deal with things that can shoot back that the channel comes into play: by channeling out one or more tiles between the fortifications and the main area of the isolation corridor, you prevent regular goblin bowmen from being able to shoot back at your dwarves because low-skill archers must be adjacent to a fortification in order to shoot through it. Note that this setup does not protect against Master Bowmen, who can shoot through non-adjacent fortifications, nor does it protect against any creature with a breath, cloud, or web attack; e.g., dragons, procedurally generated monsters, spiders, etc.

In practice, what you do is you wait until the enemies you want to isolate path into your chamber, then you lock the door that is in front of them and the door that is behind them; then, you order your marksdwarves to Station near the fortifications.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

Yeah, you're looking for the "Crenellated" option.

That does not seem to be an option in the PyLNP customization area. :shobon:

Is this something I am going to have to go find and manually install? If so, then how?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The LNP doesn't come with the whole package. I think it used to be included in DF2010 releases, not sure why they'd drop it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gotcha, thanks. For some dumb reason I was thinking that the up-ramps next to the fortifications were on the same z-level as them and didn't realize that that was just a channel. I thought there was some crazy strategy/shenanigans to letting people climb up on them or something goofy like that.

Also thanks for linking to that mech guy's stuff, that finally got me to switch to quantum stockpiles. Does he have a youtube or twitch account or anything? I'd love to see how he organizes his fort to get some more workshop layout ideas that actually use the quantum stockpiles.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Since we're talking about tilesets, I've noticed something odd in the Mac version of 40.24 (with the almost-current version of MacNewbie). Certain tilesets seems to slow the game down. Obsidian is the worst. When I install it, there's a noticeable delay in the main menu, and the game is too slow to play. Phoebus is better, but gameplay is still slower than normal. Running it with Spacefox or Ironhand makes the game play similarly to 34.11. Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mr. why posted:

Since we're talking about tilesets, I've noticed something odd in the Mac version of 40.24 (with the almost-current version of MacNewbie). Certain tilesets seems to slow the game down. Obsidian is the worst. When I install it, there's a noticeable delay in the main menu, and the game is too slow to play. Phoebus is better, but gameplay is still slower than normal. Running it with Spacefox or Ironhand makes the game play similarly to 34.11. Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

Hmm. I might have to try out Ironhand or go back to adorable Spacefox. I cannot imagine why this would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Nietzschean posted:

Hmm. I might have to try out Ironhand or go back to adorable Spacefox. I cannot imagine why this would be.

It's strange. I forgot to mention that FPS seems to hover around 100 with each set (at least that I've observed offhand).