Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh wow, that segment on Dungeon Lords is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Some Numbers posted:

Oh wow, that segment on Dungeon Lords is amazing.

What time does that start? Because gently caress if I can sit through that. I got through the first guys number ten and turned the video off. He didn't even say anything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

S.J. posted:

What time does that start? Because gently caress if I can sit through that. I got through the first guys number ten and turned the video off. He didn't even say anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8k9Auuw5g&t=1120s

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Hey, wasn't there a goon-made real-time cooperative game supposed to be coming out this year?

Oh, right!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa

Final Attack! is a team battle/survival game. Players pilot component machines of a combining anime Super Robot locked in combat against a gigantic, shape-shifting monster of the week.

The battle takes place over roughly 15-25 minutes. Together, you must fight, combine, survive, and use the Final Attack to win. If you succeed, the Earth is saved for now. If you fail, humanity will be crushed under the onslaught of an unknowable alien menace.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Holy good god he's the dumbest idiot I've seen in ages.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'm somehow flabbergasted Tom Vasel is still riding his own moronic misconception about Dungeon Lords' title as genuine criticism, and how vehement and petty he is about it. I don't think Dungeon Lords is even that overrated in the realm of board games, but I could be wrong.

Quinns didn't like Dungeon Lords either.

Broken Loose posted:

Final Attack!
I just slammed the 'pledge' button with a spiteful vengeance on Tom Vasel and his otherkin.

Good luck.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 10, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I'm somehow flabbergasted Tom Vasel is still riding his own moronic misconception about Dungeon Lords' title as genuine criticism, and how vehement and petty he is about it. I don't think Dungeon Lords is even that overrated in the realm of board games, but I could be wrong.

Dungeon Lords is really good. Really good.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Final Attack!

Not my kind of game but this looks great, best of luck with the KS.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I've never met someone irl who has ever heard of it, it really feels like someone raging against people who like local bands instead of listening to top 40s exclusively

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think the only people I know who have heard of Dungeon Lords, let alone actually played it, heard about it through me or the guy who showed it to me.

I don't remember any of those people disliking it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Good luck BL, I've advertised it on my social media etc.

S.J. posted:

Oh poo poo I was supposed to time stamp it but messed up.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Quinns didn't like Dungeon Lords either.

The funny thing is his original review was pretty positive, he said it was fun but he didn't love it because it felt more like a puzzle than fighting adventurers (i.e. it's a euro). I have to assume he has a lot of people come up to him and say "I love dungeon lords" or something??

Quinns didn't like that you don't build an enormous dungeon and that there's not enough variety in the things you build (this probably explains why he likes Suburbia so much). The game is too dungeon-buildy for Vasel and not dungeon-buildy enough for Quinns. Paul liked it because he's a cool dude who doesn't have ridiculous preconceived notions about what the game is.

VVV yeah I don't play RPGs at all. All I understand is that he loves an older D&D edition or something?

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 10, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Don't be fooled, Paul has some really crappy ideas about game design, they just seem to be limited to RPGs instead of board games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Oh poo poo I was supposed to time stamp it but messed up.

Yeah, you linked to 18 seconds instead of 18 minutes. Timestamping on Youtube is a little unintuitive, so I totally get it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I'm somehow flabbergasted Tom Vasel is still riding his own moronic misconception about Dungeon Lords' title as genuine criticism, and how vehement and petty he is about it.
Is there anything that even implies it's a dungeon crawler? The name screams managing dungeons, much like Dungeon Keeper.

Good luck with the campaign. I'm gonna signal boost it tomorrow when all my friends aren't asleep.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Countblanc posted:

Don't be fooled, Paul has some really crappy ideas about game design, they just seem to be limited to RPGs instead of board games.

Yeah, I was depressed at the time due to life things and backed the new Paranoia KS. I regret it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, you linked to 18 seconds instead of 18 minutes. Timestamping on Youtube is a little unintuitive, so I totally get it.

I always use a ? instead of # the first time I try it because that's how you do context on reddit. Must have gotten mixed up somewhere along the way when fixing that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Is there anything that even implies it's a dungeon crawler? The name screams managing dungeons, much like Dungeon Keeper.

I get the impression that he doesn't understand the concept of dungeon management and the word "dungeon" to him automatically means "dungeon crawler," so because Dungeon Lords is not a dungeon game, it's automatically bad.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

It'd have to be rated first to be overrated, yeah.

Bubble-T posted:

Ironically that's the worst of the three, Sam Healy
Dude is weird as gently caress and also has this weird angry thing going on. Half his picks there I'm fine with and the rest come out of nowhere.

actually gently caress all of these guys their taste is poo poo. None of them can stand a difficult game and they also hate when a "euro" game has any bit of fantasy or sci-fi.

They also pronounce Agricola weird

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

parasyte posted:

They also pronounce Agricola weird

No they don't.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's funny because Vasel speaks like he thinks Dungeon Lords is some sort of Trojan horse employed by deceitful Eurogamers to earn the trust of the valiant Ameritrash players and destroy them from within.

"Look, I also play dungeon crawlers!", said no one about Dungeon Lords, ever.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Good luck on the kickstarter, Broken Loose! If I hadn't spent my budget at CSI about two hours earlier I would've backed. I did hock it on both of my local board game clubs' facebooks though.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
His crazed complaint is that Dungeon Lords has the word dungeon in the title but it isn't a dungeon crawler. He then compares it with Descent which is a dungeon crawler. But Descent doesn't have the word dungeon in the title, so on his own bizarre logic it's just as deceptive. The whole thing is madness and I resent the two minutes that I spent watching his stupidity.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Durendal posted:

Good luck on the kickstarter, Broken Loose! If I hadn't spent my budget at CSI about two hours earlier I would've backed. I did hock it on both of my local board game clubs' facebooks though.

Man, you can come back next paycheck.

Wait, what did you get at CSI? Because if it sucks then you should cancel.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Where do you get the EU board games gang tag?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Viticulture+Tuscany :v:

There are 29 days left, I'm sure I can swing it by next month. I am missing a co-op game in my collection after all...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chill la Chill posted:

Where do you get the EU board games gang tag?

lol

You can link SA-hosted images when buying an avatar. I just linked to the Europe and Board Games thread tags. It was supposed to be a placeholder but really grew on me.

Durendal posted:

Viticulture+Tuscany :v:

There are 29 days left, I'm sure I can swing it by next month. I am missing a co-op game in my collection after all...

I'll hold you to that!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Good luck with this, BL, it looks great.

The $5.000 tier reward made me laugh hard.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Some Numbers posted:

There is a pretty easy way to do it now. You just click the share at specific time and copy the link it gives.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Fat Samurai posted:

Read the challenges. Nice work BL

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Samurai posted:

It doesn't say who pays for lunch. lovely campaign, would not back etc etc.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Rules As Written, "you take me out for lunch" insinuates that you pay for it as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just want to say BL, many thinks for making international shipping reasonably-priced.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Jabor posted:

I just want to say BL, many thinks for making international shipping reasonably-priced.

Yeah, that's pretty nice. Means I might actually be able to back this one myself without breaking the bank.

Only other past board game Kickstarter I backed was Mr Card Game which had a fairly ludicrous pricepoint and also straight up failed to deliver to me unless I plonked down a bunch of extra money for the shipping because they screwed their own money away, at which point I just wrote the thing off as money pissed away and moved on. At this point I think I could straight up buy the game from Amazon for significantly less than it would've cost me to get my Kickstarter copy actually loving sent to the EU.

anyway the point to that story was that I now find Kickstarters sorta dodgy in general so I'm gonna try and convince a friend to back it for our group instead of me because I've been burned on this poo poo in the past while everything this fucker backs turns into gold apparently.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I know the Top Ten Lists is supposed to be somewhat casual but for someone who has been doing this for years, Vasel can't construct an argument very well. About Thurns and Taxis (which I have never played so have no bias towards)

"Its just using cards to connect points on a map with lines"
"...just like Ticket to Ride which you love"
"No no, its bad"

Sure, when you split games down to what they basically do, you can make anything sound terrible, but that DOES sound like TtR, and I thought he'd be able to explain why its different. But then he'd have to go back on his reductive narrative so

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jesus Its worse that I thought.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
And another backer for Final Attack. Better be good, BL.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Not only did Vasel and co. slam DL, but calling Eclipse the 3rd most overrated game? wtf.

EDIT: And calling Agricola a 'bad game' gently caress off.

EDIT2: And of course what people were saying before about Galaxy Trucker. Wtf. Weird mongoloids.

The End fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 10, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SolitarySolidarity posted:

That's actually pretty funny. I hate playing with people like that but love to hear stories about them.

I was going to ask this thread about Cutthroat Caverns. It doesn't have the greatest BGG ranking but I still hear good things about it. I don't want to call it a light game, but it looks like a game that can be learned pretty quickly and I don't really have any of those in my collection (with the exception of Dominion).

Like Gimnbo below you said, Cutthroat Caverns is the game to get if you want Munchkin but don't want, you know, Munchkin. It's really simple and there's a ton of variety in the monsters you can fight. After buying two expansions for it I have a massive pile of encounter cards, some traditional monsters, others logic puzzles the group has to solve together and so on.

The group is supposed to fight nine bosses. The conceit is that although everyone works together to kill the boss, only the guy to hit the last attack actually gets victory points for the kill. Whoever has the most after nine bosses (or maybe ten, there are encounters which might come back to haunt you or turn a player into an extra boss or something) wins the game.

Each encounter is fought in rounds. Players set face down attack cards in front of them and they are then resolved in initiative order. If an attack would kill the boss, the boss dies, otherwise it gets added to the attack stack and then the boss' HP gets taken down. Players can gently caress with each other by playing action cards which might make an attack miss, a boss to attack them instead of you (each boss has their own rules: one might attack the player who did the most damage, one might attack the guy who did the least and the players to each side of them etc) and so on.

The gameplay basically consists of trying to figure out the best way to manipulate the attack queue in a way that sets up you for an easy boss kill, but of course everyone else is doing this at the same time to you as well.

I quite like it. It's not in my all time favourites, but every time I do get it on the table I enjoy myself and everyone else usually does as well. Case in point, when we started our infamous rage quit game, the first boss kill took like 10 minutes because everyone was still figuring poo poo out. After the first round encounters started getting quicker and quicker, and towards the end bosses usually died in the first round as people got better at the game. Everyone (except the rear end in a top hat) really liked the game and said they'd want to play again.

So yeah, I recommend it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Der Shovel posted:

Like Gimnbo below you said, Cutthroat Caverns is the game to get if you want Munchkin but don't want, you know, Munchkin.
No, it's Pax Porfiriana. :colbert:

It kinda overstays its welcome by ~20 minutes (imo) and the card layout gives zero thought to how they'll be actually used, but other than that it's a stellar Good Munchkin. It also has a boring theme* and is surprisingly awkward to explain for honestly rather straightforward gameplay, but just shut up, suck it up and play it.

* If you're a boring dumb baby. Sadly, a lot of people are boring dumb babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jesus Christ. I never did mind Vasel much. His tastes seemed a bit odd but he always seemed like a harmless goof. But this bald motherfucker with the glasses... I've known guys like that. Fat assholes who think they're straight shooters who lay down the law like it is and are always ready with quip when really they're tactless, abrasive shitheads enabled by their friends who forcibly laugh at their dumb poo poo.

E: I'm watching that "most overrated games" list someone linked to earlier if that wasn't clear.