Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Broken Loose: Everyone I've linked that kickstarter to has complained about the card templates being ugly. I just thought I would pass along the feedback. They like the mechanics though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I honestly like watching Vasel's reviews once in a while, if I hear he disliked a game. He's got this wonderfully kindergarten-y whiny way of speaking about things he dislikes. That oftentimes his critique also remains on the kindergarten level only increases the amusement. It probably isn't much different than a million whining fat nerds one can find on youtube, but there's certain something about Vasel being childish that I find more funny than annoying.

My favourite is probably the Chaos in the Old World review, which is literally 12 minutes 50 seconds of two fat dudes repeating "I guess the game is good, probably, but I really don't like the theme, so I don't know, this is our review I guess." That meltdown where he destroyed some boring eurogame while whining and making snide remarks, because he was so pissed that some bgg dudes dared to disagree with his critique (which basically amounted to "idk , this is some boring euro poo poo", which to give him his due seemed like a fairly accurate description) was also pretty funny.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I genuinely feel dumber for having watched any of that video. And I know people who value these guys' opinions. :suicide:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's generally that video which made me realise that Vasel is either dumb or dishonest. It just feels that he saw the Dungeon Lords title, thought it was a dungeon crawler, played it, realised it was a euro and felt cheated out of it. Unless there were people that earnestly said 'this heavy euro is actually a dungeon crawler!' which I doubt. Also lol at 'there are only 16 choices to make'.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

It's generally that video which made me realise that Vasel is either dumb or dishonest. It just feels that he saw the Dungeon Lords title, thought it was a dungeon crawler, played it, realised it was a euro and felt cheated out of it. Unless there were people that earnestly said 'this heavy euro is actually a dungeon crawler!' which I doubt. Also lol at 'there are only 16 choices to make'.

Despite having 'munch' in the title, little to no elements of Munchkin involve eating! What is this bullshit?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Hey guys, if anyone is going to throw Broken Loose $500+, we need to make Rutibex star in his game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Hey, wasn't there a goon-made real-time cooperative game supposed to be coming out this year?

Oh, right!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa

Final Attack! is a team battle/survival game. Players pilot component machines of a combining anime Super Robot locked in combat against a gigantic, shape-shifting monster of the week.

The battle takes place over roughly 15-25 minutes. Together, you must fight, combine, survive, and use the Final Attack to win. If you succeed, the Earth is saved for now. If you fail, humanity will be crushed under the onslaught of an unknowable alien menace.

Backed, shared on facebook, retweeted to all six of my followers. Godspeed goon.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I've backed it, BL! I don't like the video or the card template, but the game and its mechanics sound great.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Fat Turkey posted:

I know the Top Ten Lists is supposed to be somewhat casual but for someone who has been doing this for years, Vasel can't construct an argument very well. About Thurns and Taxis (which I have never played so have no bias towards)

"Its just using cards to connect points on a map with lines"
"...just like Ticket to Ride which you love"
"No no, its bad"

Sure, when you split games down to what they basically do, you can make anything sound terrible, but that DOES sound like TtR, and I thought he'd be able to explain why its different. But then he'd have to go back on his reductive narrative so
I've only watched T&T being played but it definitely seemed like more interesting TTR. More complicated scoring and more of a push-your-luck element iirc?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Hey, wasn't there a goon-made real-time cooperative game supposed to be coming out this year?

Oh, right!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa

Final Attack! is a team battle/survival game. Players pilot component machines of a combining anime Super Robot locked in combat against a gigantic, shape-shifting monster of the week.

The battle takes place over roughly 15-25 minutes. Together, you must fight, combine, survive, and use the Final Attack to win. If you succeed, the Earth is saved for now. If you fail, humanity will be crushed under the onslaught of an unknowable alien menace.

I only back games that achieve the perfect balance of strategy and luck.

Seriously, I wish the friends I'd play this with were still around, but I'll still throw a couple bucks out of principle. The world needs this game to exist.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They even say things like "just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad game" and then go and dump all over games just because they didn't like them. Just sooooo many people with questionable taste in that video.
"I love the art in Sentinels of the Multiverse!"
"Lords of Waterdeep is thematic!"
"The makers of Dixit are so lazy, they didn't even put any words on the cards!"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

homullus posted:

They even say things like "just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad game" and then go and dump all over games just because they didn't like them. Just sooooo many people with questionable taste in that video.
"I love the art in Sentinels of the Multiverse!"
"Lords of Waterdeep is thematic!"

Pictured: The least lazy game design. Just look at all them words!

The game is Opus Dei, and it is not great. And all the words are flavour text, so they have zero relevance to the actual gameplay, except people will read in during play and thus not pay attention.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

e: nevermind, my tash-kalar is shipping today!!! finally

When buying tash-kalar I should look for the CGE logo to get the new version, correct?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

homullus posted:

You couldn't put words on the Dixit cards, that would defeat the whole point of the game, what the hell

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm surprised anyone would even consider listening to the opinions of anyone living in Florida.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
To compensate for being a bad playtester, I got the Deluxe edition ordered. Best of luck, BL!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm surprised anyone would even consider listening to the opinions of anyone living in Florida.

Yeah I mean, this kickstarter thing that just got posted, who would listen to *that* designer??

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

ETB posted:

To compensate for being a bad playtester, I got the Deluxe edition ordered. Best of luck, BL!

Same here. I shared and tweeted as well, which is high praise from me.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

When buying tash-kalar I should look for the CGE logo to get the new version, correct?

I didn't want to take the risk, tbh, so I just went with CSI since they made it very clear that I'm buying the 2nd edition.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tightest grouping we've had in Caylus. 3 player game, first place was the black player with 72 points, Second place was the blue player(me) with 71 points and third place was the red player with 69 points. Also first time I've used the money track for anything, worked better than I thought it would.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 10, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Indolent Bastard posted:

The CGE logo is on both versions.

The old version includes a ZMan Games logo, the new one does not.

The new one also features a BGG "Golden Geek Award" logo.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I mean, this kickstarter thing that just got posted, who would listen to *that* designer??

Yeah but, nobody who spends their nights screaming at people to give him coolant and balance could be a bad person.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah but, nobody who spends their nights screaming at people to give him coolant and balance could be a bad person.

Broken Loose posted:

I wish you were banned. You're a terrible loving gimmick, and if you aren't a gimmick, I wish nothing but absolute agony on you. I hope you wake up to your loved one's cold corpse in the passenger seat of your car, leaving you nothing a barrage of bile and hatred from her family and a piercing trauma that gives you panic attacks each time you see the loving sun rise. The fact that a person like you could conceivably exist and is keeping this company afloat is why McCain and Palin achieved more than 0 votes in the 2008 election. You are proof that this world is hell. I would rather these forums be populated by nothing but 7thBatallions, Noctis Horrendaes, TheBluePyramids, and Hollismasons all hopped up on drugs, fashioning greenstuff teeth for each other and bashing together Hammerheads out of dog poo poo and chicken bones, than ever be confirmed that you genuinely believe the puke-ocalypse of fanaticism and horseshit that you expouse online. gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Back that kickstarter folks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vasal and Broken Loose living in the same area would explain a lot of things.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Good god, that's what BL is actually like? I TAKE BACK MY PLEDGE IMMEDIATELY

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Good god, that's what BL is actually like? I TAKE BACK MY PLEDGE IMMEDIATELY

To be fair, he was arguing with a serious gaylord.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Vasal and Broken Loose living in the same area would explain a lot of things.

Or they're the same person. It would explain why I've never seen them together. :ohdear:

Edit: Final Attack Internet Diatribe!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I was going to make a joke that Broken Loose had completed his apotheosis into David Sirlin, but he already basically admitted it, so there went my fun.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Bosushi! posted:

I was going to make a joke that Broken Loose had completed his apotheosis into David Sirlin, but he already basically admitted it, so there went my fun.

There are pandas in Final Attack?!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Madmarker posted:

Assuming you mean forum poster serious gaylord, I'm down with that. His rant isn't up there with the Usenet classics of my youth ("festering poxbottle" being a highlight), but it's a decent LART nonetheless.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Trynant posted:

There are pandas in Final Attack?!

Here's the first crossover promo stretch goal.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Madmarker posted:

I would have added ironicat but I thought that would have been too on the nose

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's not too late to announce Cthulhu and Zombie robeasts and make millions of dollars.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Hey BL you had mentioned previously that some of the designs in Space Alert were fixed by things you had implemented in Final Attack, could you expand on that?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Rutibex posted:

It's kind of disingenuous to look at "prisoners per 100,000" on an island with a population of 84,000.

I'd say it's more of an equal comparison than comparing the number in prison between a country with 84,000 people and one with 318 million people.

Lorini posted:

This is where our hobby not being digital hurts because whether they are deliberately creating scarcity or scarcity is happening because of economics, it is my personal biggest issue with boardgaming. You end up buying games not because you want to play them soon but because you don't want to pay an arm and a leg when you do want to play them. I'm personally hoping that more games go PnP so that even if they aren't being published by the publisher anymore, at least there's still a way to play them.

It's not just with board games. Toys, art, sporting goods, etc.

I'm into movies and you have your companies get a license to put out some horror film for a short time and then if you didn't pick it up, now you could be looking at paying $100 for a $13 DVD. Looking to get in on that action? Pick up titles Code Red puts out. The guy that runs it is a complete moron. He used to have a distributor but lost it a few years ago and decided to do it all himself. So he'll put some title up on his crappy looking site, people order some stuff and then he shuts off the ordering because he has to go post on facebook that he has a hundred orders to ship out himself and if you email him to complain about the wait time on your order, he just cancels it and refunds it.

So what ends up happening is he has poor sales on a title and in some cases, the rights owner gets pissed and pulls the rights back, so Code Red ends up not making any money off of it. Then he complains about titles having poor sales and not really getting why any of this is happening. Plus the titles he picks to put out aren't all that great a lot of the time.

$75 - http://www.amazon.com/Madman-Year-Anniversary-Gaylen-Ross/dp/B003TX8Q6K/ref=sr_1_1
$180 - http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Are-Alive-Alex-Cord/dp/B003O7I6MU/ref=sr_1_3

I got in back when he lost his distributor and bought a bunch of titles from Amazon and other places before they all went away. If you shop at the site and regularly check it, like daily, you can make some decent cash if you wait a bit for him to pull it again and prices on Amazon/ebay go up.

On topic, you guys got me to look at Terra Mystica with the Catan comparison. Looks fun and I wish Barnes & Noble carried it. Just found out these games all count towards the kids club, so in addition to a good percentage taken off with the card/20% coupons/membership discount, I've started getting $5 gift certificates.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I decided to check out The Dice Tower, and I hate these guys. I also disagree with them a lot. Their main arguments seem to be "fun", "theme" and "flavour". And that's mostly it. They never try to analyse what happens in a game, how the mechanics work or anything that would be helpful, except "they like it".
Have they done anything that is sensible and/or worth watching?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Just like Exploding Memes and Cards for Racism make me realize how unfair I've been to Catan, dice tower makes me appreciate SU&SD so much more.

E: Dicetower is maybe useful to get a closer look at the "Sam" gamer archetype without having to personally interact with one. Like a little terrarium where you can observe the reasoning of the guys in your game store

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 10, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Just like Exploding Memes and Cards for Racism make me realize how unfair I've been to Catan, dice tower makes me appreciate SU&SD so much more.

Relativity is everything.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BonHair posted:

I decided to check out The Dice Tower, and I hate these guys. I also disagree with them a lot. Their main arguments seem to be "fun", "theme" and "flavour". And that's mostly it. They never try to analyse what happens in a game, how the mechanics work or anything that would be helpful, except "they like it".
Have they done anything that is sensible and/or worth watching?

No. Pretty much the only good thing about them is how prolific they are. I often first hear about games by scrolling through their list of videos and checking out ones that seem like the game isn't Cthulutan Exploding Kitten Quest: Journey to Save Flutttershy and then look up the game elsewhere.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

BonHair posted:

Welcome to your average boardgame review, where talking about mechanics is too hard unless you're just reiterating the rules for 90% of your video. Also the answer to your other question is no, unless you want enjoy cringing at people, then by all means, marathon that poo poo.