Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Just... just read the wiki page about him. That's the simplest way to introduce yourself to the madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god, the thread title.

I hope Firestorm never gets his own show, we'd be lost without Caitlynn here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pastrymancy posted:

Please elaborate on this

He started out just using top themed weapons like top bombs and stuff. Then he taught himself to spin very fast which gave him mind powers.

Then it gets crazy.

His spinning actually like overheated his brain or whatever so he died. But his brain was too powerful to stay dead so he started possessing people, culminating in him possessing Barry's dad and having a showdown where he threatens to shoot himself in his (i.e. Barry's dad's) head.

Then he went away for awhile but came back and possessed a senator to try and mess with the Flash again but got caught. Eventually his mind caused the senators body to actually rewrite itself to mimic the Tops, right down to having his fingerprints change.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Guy A. Person posted:

He started out just using top themed weapons like top bombs and stuff. Then he taught himself to spin very fast which gave him mind powers.

Then it gets crazy.

This character is increasingly sounding like Your Uncle Who Works at Nintendo. Whose deeds are legend, and all evidence that he's made-up is actually further proof he is real, merely adding to his power.

I hope Firestorm doesn't get his own show, because how goddamn many of these shows can they sustain? Just in terms of available IP and quality of the writing. Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and then hypothetical ATOM, Green Lantern, and Firestorm shows would be like 90+ hours of content a year.

I'd be cool with them cutting seasons in half and doing more intertwined arcs, though. Like, 13 episodes of Arrow, then 13 of ATOM with a related arc. Basically the way Marvel's Netflix series are doing it, I guess.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Xealot posted:

This character is increasingly sounding like Your Uncle Who Works at Nintendo. Whose deeds are legend, and all evidence that he's made-up is actually further proof he is real, merely adding to his power.

I hope Firestorm doesn't get his own show, because how goddamn many of these shows can they sustain? Just in terms of available IP and quality of the writing. Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, and then hypothetical ATOM, Green Lantern, and Firestorm shows would be like 90+ hours of content a year.

I'd be cool with them cutting seasons in half and doing more intertwined arcs, though. Like, 13 episodes of Arrow, then 13 of ATOM with a related arc. Basically the way Marvel's Netflix series are doing it, I guess.

Don't forget TNT's Teen Titans.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Green Lantern is a really far-fetched dream because good CGI alone would be like 90% of the show's budget if they want to avoid the mistakes of Green Lanterns Past.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Xealot posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I want 5 CW superhero shows, one for each weekday, so that there can be an annual week long crossover event. We have Arrow, Flash, Atom confirmed...(will supergirl be on CW?). Add Green Lantern to the mix and we're all good.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I want 5 CW superhero shows, one for each weekday, so that there can be an annual week long crossover event. We have Arrow, Flash, Atom confirmed...(will supergirl be on CW?). Add Green Lantern to the mix and we're all good.

Supergirl on CBS, but it's made by the same people behind Arrow/Flash and confirmed to be in the same TV continuity I believe.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Eddain posted:

Supergirl on CBS, but it's made by the same people behind Arrow/Flash and confirmed to be in the same TV continuity I believe.

It's been confirmed to be the opposite, actually.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Scyantific posted:

Green Lantern is a really far-fetched dream because good CGI alone would be like 90% of the show's budget if they want to avoid the mistakes of Green Lanterns Past.

John just drives around a town car, with an assault rifle, that he's both spray painted neon green.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We were speculating that GL will be tv off limits because of the existing and future film. Barry had already been introduced on Arrow and his pilot was shooting before the announcement of the new film.

The solution is to make Diggle a Darkstar.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Diggle for Tyroc.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So here's my take on Wells/Reverse Flash. My guess is that the Wells we know is farther in the future than the Reverse Flash who's kicking around. I think it goes something like this:

Timeline I

21st Century
Barry Allen becomes the Flash
Barry Allen saves the world during the Crisis and dies.

25th Century
Young Eobard Thawne gets obsessed with the Flash, possibly because Barry himself ends up time travelling forward and meets him, and goes back in time and creates Timeline II

Timeline II

20th/21st Century
Reverse Flash Thawne fucks things up somehow, and in doing so, keeps the Flash from saving the world. The world ends in the Crisis. Right before it ends, Thawne sends himself back in time to fix what he's done and creates Timeline III.

Timeline III *Current Timeline*

21st Century
Not as young Thawne ends up in early 21st century with his powers depleted. He assumes the identity of Harrison Wells (H.G. Wells' "Time Traveller") and engineers the creation of the Flash, at least partially undoing his younger self's work. Wells keeps himself on station to try and shepherd Barry to his final destiny in the Crisis while also attempting to find ways to restore his fading powers.

I think the critical piece of evidence is when Wells is speaking to the caged Reverse Flash at STAR Labs. The way he emphasizes "DETECTIVE THAWNE" is a warning to his younger self that "Hey dipshit, that guy's our ancestor. DON'T KILL HIM!" That suggests to me strongly that the Reverse Flash isn't a future Wells, because he would already know who Eddie was. Ergo, if Reverse Flash is Wells but doesn't know who Eddie is, he must be a younger version than the wheelchair Wells we know. Furthermore, the Wells we know's powers are crippled, while the Reverse Flash who beat the poo poo outta Barry is clearly in his prime. That reinforces the idea that Wells hosed his powers up when he came back in time the second time.

Anyway, that's my guess. I think it holds together with the evidence we've got to date, but I'm willing to adjust my speculation as we go deeper into the show and new evidence appears.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

jng2058 posted:

So here's my take on Wells/Reverse Flash. My guess is that the Wells we know is farther in the future than the Reverse Flash who's kicking around. I think it goes something like this:

Timeline I

21st Century

25th Century
Young Eobard Thawne gets obsessed with the Flash, possibly because Barry himself ends up time travelling forward and meets him, and goes back in time and creates Timeline II

Timeline II

20th/21st Century
Reverse Flash Thawne fucks things up somehow, and in doing so, keeps the Flash from saving the world. The world ends in the Crisis. Right before it ends, Thawne sends himself back in time to fix what he's done and creates Timeline III.

21st Century
Not as young Thawne ends up in early 21st century with his powers depleted. He assumes the identity of Harrison Wells (H.G. Wells' "Time Traveller") and engineers the creation of the Flash, at least partially undoing his younger self's work. Wells keeps himself on station to try and shepherd Barry to his final destiny in the Crisis while also attempting to find ways to restore his fading powers.

I think the critical piece of evidence is when Wells is speaking to the caged Reverse Flash at STAR Labs. The way he emphasizes "DETECTIVE THAWNE" is a warning to his younger self that "Hey dipshit, that guy's our ancestor. DON'T KILL HIM!" That suggests to me strongly that the Reverse Flash isn't a future Wells, because he would already know who Eddie was. Ergo, if Reverse Flash is Wells but doesn't know who Eddie is, he must be a younger version than the wheelchair Wells we know. Furthermore, the Wells we know's powers are crippled, while the Reverse Flash who beat the poo poo outta Barry is clearly in his prime. That reinforces the idea that Wells hosed his powers up when he came back in time the second time.

Anyway, that's my guess. I think it holds together with the evidence we've got to date, but I'm willing to adjust my speculation as we go deeper into the show and new evidence appears.

That sounds right and I think you are on to something.

My only problem I have is that wouldn't Reverse Flash know that Wells is his future self? Like if RF fucks something up that badly, why can't Wells just tell Reverse Flash "I'm you from the future idiot, if we want to avoid the horrible future we need to avoid doing X?" It also doesn't completely explain why RF decided to beat the crap out of Wells (himself), it got him out of the field but he didn't have to go that far.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
STRANGELY COMPELLING

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Shadoer posted:

It also doesn't completely explain why RF decided to beat the crap out of Wells (himself), it got him out of the field but he didn't have to go that far.

Same reason Oliver shot Barry in the back, he can heal fast.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Angry Walrus posted:

Same reason Oliver shot Barry in the back, he can heal fast.

Not necessarily. Wells powers are crippled, he can't be too sure his healing factor isn't compromised as well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Timeline I

21st Century

25th Century

Timeline II

20th/21st Century

21st Century

If Reverse Flash Thawne of Timeline II sends himself back in time to create Timeline III, then who is the Reverse Flash in Timeline III? It can't be his younger self, since he won't be born for another four centuries.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

If Reverse Flash Thawne of Timeline II sends himself back in time to create Timeline III, then who is the Reverse Flash in Timeline III? It can't be himself, since he won't be alive for another four centuries.

The Reverse Flash from Timeline II, his younger self. The Reverse Flash that probably just traveled back in time, but before this "crisis" happened that causes him to go back again to pose as Wells.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Shadoer posted:

Not necessarily. Wells powers are crippled, he can't be too sure his healing factor isn't compromised as well.

It seemed really obvious Wells is trying to tell RF this, that Wells can heal quickly (or will once he has the tachyon device) when he tells him about how RF's powers allow him to heal very quickly.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

It seemed really obvious Wells is trying to tell RF this, that Wells can heal quickly (or will once he has the tachyon device) when he tells him about how RF's powers allow him to heal very quickly.

That's true, in their talk he does give him all the hints he needs to figure out how to escape. However that doesn't explain why RF hasn't just gone "Future self, wtf is going on."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I still don't quite get how RF beat up wells and stole the tachyon device, and somehow Wells ended up with it.

Are they collaborating behind the scenes?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I still don't quite get how RF beat up wells and stole the tachyon device, and somehow Wells ended up with it.

Almost certainly, but Reverse Flash I doesn't seem to know everything Wells knows for some reason.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

If Reverse Flash Thawne of Timeline II sends himself back in time to create Timeline III, then who is the Reverse Flash in Timeline III? It can't be his younger self, since he won't be born for another four centuries.

In my interpretation, Wells as we know him on his second time jump backwards doesn't go as far back as Nora Allen's murder. I think he ends up somewhere in the late '90s, early 2000s or so around the time "Harrison Wells" starts gaining notoriety as a scientist. Therefore, his younger self is still out there, and likely still obsessed with jacking Barry up. Also, TL2 Rverse Flash hasn't had the transformative "I watched the world die" event that manufactures Wells. Which means that TL3 Wells has to walk a fine line between keeping his younger self working with him without revealing that his actual goal is to preserve Barry, not kill him the way TL2 RF wants.

Time for some crappy ASCII art!

TL1:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Barry Saves World

TL2:

-----------------------------------------* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > (Barry Saves World)
............................................\
.............................................. ---------------------------------------------------------> Barry Killed by RF, World Ends

TL3:

-----------------------------------------* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > (Barry Saves World)
.............................................\
................................................-------------------------** - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> (Barry Killed by RF, World Ends)
..............................................................................\
................................................................................ --------------------------> Still in progress, as of the last time Wells looked at his newspaper, Barry Saves World

--------------------------> Active Timeline
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - > Invalidated Timeline
* = Reverse Flash goes back in time and changes history
** = Wells goes back in time and alters events from a later point than RF's first arrival.
......................... = Spacing dots. Ignore these.

Therefore, both Reverse Flash and Wells exist in the later parts of TL3. The question is what happens at the Crisis Point if the world isn't ending and Wells doesn't go back to create TL3? Of course that's quite a ways off yet....

Shadoer posted:

Almost certainly, but Reverse Flash I doesn't seem to know everything Wells knows for some reason.

I think Wells is playing RF for a sucker. He knows (or believes) that without seeing the world about to end because of his actions that RF won't give up his quest to kill Barry. Therefore, Wells is lying to himself about what Wells wants and is pretending to help the RF while in fact trying to keep his younger self from accomplishing his goal without said younger self figuring it out. It's a complicated tightrope that the guy in a wheel chair is trying to walk. :aaa:

Or, you know, I could be totally wrong about all this. But I dunno, this feels right with the data we have so far.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Imagine four Tom Cavanaghs on the edge of a cliff.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Whizbang posted:

Imagine four Tom Cavanaghs on the edge of a cliff.

Michael Ian Black walks by. "Hey Magic!" they yell in unison.

The Speed Force works the same way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The problem with this theory is RF bluntly tells Barry "it is your DESTINY to lose to me, FLASH." I mean I guess he could just be talking poo poo but that seems super unlikely, it really was heavily emphasized when he said tha. also we know it's Tom Cavanagh in the suit/saying that line and it seems really out of character for him

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Time for some crappy ASCII art!

TL1:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Barry Saves World

TL2:

.............................................. ---------------------------------------------------------> Barry Killed by RF, World Ends

TL3:

................................................-------------------------** - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> (Barry Killed by RF, World Ends)
................................................................................ --------------------------> Still in progress, as of the last time Wells looked at his newspaper, Barry Saves World

** = Wells goes back in time and alters events from a later point than RF's first arrival.

Therefore, both Reverse Flash and Wells exist in the later parts of TL3. The question is what happens at the Crisis Point if the world isn't ending and Wells doesn't go back to create TL3? Of course that's quite a ways off yet....

Hmm well to build on this, let's add in some other hints to we've gotten.

TL1:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Barry Saves World and disappears in 2024 (according to Well's Newspaper)

In this timeline Barry was raised by both his parents (mom is alive, dad not in jail) and he becomes the Flash later in life.

Assuming Wells/RF is ancestor of Detective Thawne, at somepoint Thawne has at least one kid.

TL2:

For unknown reasons Wells/RF travels back in time to kill the Flash before he becomes the Flash. Now the disaster of 2024 is unavoidable and the world ends. Before this occurs, Wells travels back in time again.

TL3:

Wells goes back and manages to save Barry from himself, however Barry's mom is killed and his father is imprisoned. Wells then proceeds to go to extraordinary lengths to create the particle accelerator accident in order to ensure that Barry becomes The Flash. Even more he's trying to build up the Flash's power and going out of his way to protect him. He's manipulating his younger self to help him and is probably preventing RF from killing Barry yet. At the same time, he is trying to restore his own powers and abilities which were crippled in an unknown event.

Edit:

Flesh Forge posted:

The problem with this theory is RF bluntly tells Barry "it is your DESTINY to lose to me, FLASH." I mean I guess he could just be talking poo poo but that seems super unlikely, it really was heavily emphasized when he said tha. also we know it's Tom Cavanagh in the suit/saying that line and it seems really out of character for him

It's possible that Wells/RF is the reason for the 2024 crisis. In the first timeline the world is saved but Flash disappears, presumably dead. If we take it that RF was the cause, RF killed the Flash but was unable to complete his plan. In the 2nd timeline, RF kills the Flash again. Right now in the 3rd timeline, RF is basically Flash's mentor and can kill Flash whenever he wants. So yeah, it is currently Barry's destiny to lose to RF.

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 10, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I feel like I need to re-watch Primer here...

...unless I haven't watched it for the first time yet. :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Either Wells has the device from a different point in time, or the other Reverse Flash (whether it's Wells at a different time or someone else entirely) was in on it even then and put it in the secret room during his escape.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Shadoer posted:

Lots of stuff

Yeah, that's pretty much got it surrounded as far as I'm concerned. With the usual "pending more data" caveats, of course.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The multiple timeline thing jng2058 mentioned is almost exactly my current Wells/RF hypothesis, although I think splitting it into multiple timelines like that is misleading. It's all one timeline, with the various changes (for example, the 'no more Flash' future mentioned in Power Outage) laid on top of one another.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Technogeek posted:

The multiple timeline thing jng2058 mentioned is almost exactly my current Wells/RF hypothesis, although I think splitting it into multiple timelines like that is misleading. It's all one timeline, with the various changes (for example, the 'no more Flash' future mentioned in Power Outage) laid on top of one another.

Now you're just arguing time-travel mechanical models, which is pointless, because every single work of time-travel fiction has its own arbitrary rules for the mechanics and philosophical implications of time-travel, and we don't yet know the rules for The Flash.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
I like the theories, but I don't think they're what's happening right now. The problem is that they are remarkably complicated, and this is a CW show. They need an explanation that is understandable to an average CW viewer when laid out in seven sentences, and what we have right now in the thread just isn't that simple.

The "RF beating up Wells" will, I think be explained by time travel trickery. The tachyon device gives him his powers back, but he uses most of the power provided to jump back in time a few days to steal the device, which he leaves for himself to find after the fight, which gives him his powers back, but he uses most of the power...

A simple three-day loop, with slightly older RF returning to do all of the things needed to get that tachyon device into his hands. And if Bill and Ted could explain something as simple as that (it's the keys trick, just with the tachyon device), so can a CW show.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Byers2142 posted:

I like the theories, but I don't think they're what's happening right now. The problem is that they are remarkably complicated, and this is a CW show. They need an explanation that is understandable to an average CW viewer when laid out in seven sentences, and what we have right now in the thread just isn't that simple.

What's not simple about it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Byers2142 posted:

The "RF beating up Wells" will, I think be explained by time travel trickery. The tachyon device gives him his powers back, but he uses most of the power provided to jump back in time a few days to steal the device, which he leaves for himself to find after the fight, which gives him his powers back, but he uses most of the power...

I'm pretty sure it's not even going to be this complicated.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Whizbang posted:

What's not simple about it?

P.much

Outside of timelines and stuff, it boils down to this:

Wells is a time traveler from the future who has the Flash's powers. For unknown reasons he traveled back in time to kill the Barry before he became the Flash and succeeded. However he then realized that doing this screwed everything over, so now he's traveled back in time again to stop his younger self and fix the damage he caused.

It's basically the plot of most Time Travel fiction where someone travels back in time and everything gets messed up and then they have to fix the change they made. Only difference is in those stories we'd be seeing it through Well's eyes, in this we are seeing it from the character who's life is being changed by time travel.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Either Wells has the device from a different point in time, or the other Reverse Flash (whether it's Wells at a different time or someone else entirely) was in on it even then and put it in the secret room during his escape.

The tachyon device RF stole could have been fake, switched out by wells beforehand.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nah, they're pretty clear about RF being able to actually feel or smell tachyons, I tend to doubt Wells could fake him out that easily. I mean if Wells can manufacture tachyons to bait-and-switch RF then what does he need the tachyon generator from Amanda Pays for.

e: I still feel pretty sure that Wells' story is going to be told backwards, over a period of at least a couple of years, and will be the backbone metaplot for the entire series. There will probably be lengthy departures from it to deal with other important arcs like Grodd but I can't see them shooting their wad with RF/Wells in the next 6 10 weeks.

oops, long season

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Meaning, you think they'll treat it like Oliver's backstory? I think there's a good chance we get a lot more story than you think we'll get, but I think it'll be a plot line for a long time. I just wonder if he's going to be the big bad for Season 2 or something.

• Locked thread