Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

it goes:

1st class - 70%
2:1 - 60%
2:2 - 50%
3rd - 40%
fail

wow that's a dumb class system no wonder haskell is so popular in the uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
a former coworker of mine made an autotools project, but did not include all the files needed for autoreconf to do its job. Thankfully though he included a script which creates the necessary files and then runs autoreconf for you. :laffo:

i committed the needed files (AUTHORS, NEWS, Changelog) and deleted the lovely script.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

the only place this could be a real grading system is britain
idk in latvia it's n-1-10 with n to 3 being different flavours of fail, 4 being 60% and 8 being 100%

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Ivy League College
Decent College
Community College
Trade College
lolage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kalstrams posted:

different flavours of fail

moooooods

290 Flavours Of Fail

PLEEEEEEASE

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bhodi posted:

Ivy League College
Decent College
Community College
Trade College
lolarcheage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brave GNU World
Nov 1, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shaggar posted:

I was doing some requirejs stuff today. seems kind of interesting I guess.

why would you use requirejs instead of commonjs.

shitface posted:

ok so I need to learn a bit of js but I have no interest or need for web/browser poo poo. any recommended reading? everything I've found so far is browser focused

read eloquent javascript and just ignore the last few browser focused chapters.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Valeyard posted:

so I already signed a contract for a grad job on the (standard) condition I get atleast a 2.1

now I am panicking about whether I will be able to do this or not

how iron clad is that?

im thinking about applying somewhere else with a lower req and having it as a backup, but dont really know what would go down if I ended up fufilly choice 1

this is how i got my first job and i started working before my results came out and i got my results and got 2:1 and after that no one cared because i had already been working in the industry

if you didnt arrange a start date a month or two before results are out then lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

get in

there's a good post up about the clr running on os x (http://praeclarum.org/post/110552954728/building-and-running-nets-coreclr-on-os-x). it's really new so it's a lot of crap involved to get things running at first but a huge step. I really wish ms would just buy xamarin out already though and take total control of mono or just do their own native implementation of the compiler

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

this is how i got my first job and i started working before my results came out and i got my results and got 2:1 and after that no one cared because i had already been working in the industry

if you didnt arrange a start date a month or two before results are out then lol

there wasnt really much wiggle room to negioate, or thats what i thought anyway. I interned with them during the summer so ive already worked for them for 3 months, yet they are still adament that anything less than a 2.1 means they dont want me back even if they likedf me

also what is the easiest way to flatten an array of maps into 1 map?

code:

Map<String, Float> values = new HashMap<String, Float>();
	for(Map<String, Float> e: ob.getDatapoints()){
		for(String key : e.keySet()) {
			values.put(key,e.get(key));			 
		}
this doesnt work and the resulting map values just contains one entry, the last map values from the loop

i tried creating a new map on each iteration of the loop, copying the values in, and then putting that new map into values but same result

i get that its all to do with referncing but i still think one of those two approaches should work

code:

Map<String, Float> values = new HashMap<String, Float>();
	for(Map<String, Float> e: ob.getDatapoints()){ //iterate through the existing array of maps, turning into one map
		Map<String, Float> temp = new HashMap<String, Float>();
		for(String key : e.keySet()) {
			temp.put(key,e.get(key));    
		}
		values.putAll(temp);
	}
that should work as well :confused:

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 10, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Valeyard posted:

i get that its all to do with referncing but i still think one of those two approaches should work

i don't think it has anything to do with referencing

try printing out the values (and keys) as they get iterated over, and make sure they're what you expect

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Valeyard posted:

there wasnt really much wiggle room to negioate, or thats what i thought anyway. I interned with them during the summer so ive already worked for them for 3 months, yet they are still adament that anything less than a 2.1 means they dont want me back even if they likedf me

lol owned

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
if the keys are the same in every map you're combining then the values will be trampled every iteration, so it makes sense why only the last map's values would show up

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flat Daddy posted:

if the keys are the same in every map you're combining then the values will be trampled every iteration, so it makes sense why only the last map's values would show up

wow brain fart, i have something like

[{maturity=2.0, yield=1.0}, {maturity=5.0, yield=2.0}, {maturity=10.0, yield=3.0}, {maturity=30.0, yield=4.0}]

and was forgetting i was trying to squash it down while still using the string literal "maturity" and "yield" keys

yes, dumb as hell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Brave GNU World posted:

why would you use requirejs instead of commonjs.

requirejs is what knockoutjs uses by default and also it looks like commonjs is both deprecated and developed by someone at Mozilla so lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

knockout is some serious ownage not least because it cut about 90% of the razor i have to write in my views

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
normally I'd just use mvc/razor and not use knockout for the most part but this has to be all client side so its hella javascript and knockout makes that easy. im using requirejs to try to simplify all the modules i have.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
do you guys use any javascript routing libraries and if so which ones?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
valeyard what are you trying to even do that code is ridiculous. are you looking to maybe end up with a map of lists of the values?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Shaggar posted:

do you guys use any javascript routing libraries and if so which ones?

https://github.com/flatiron/director suits my needs but I don't do anything particularly complicated, mileage may vary and all that. Supports html5 push state and hashroutes/real routes, although I've only been using hashroutes for my stuff.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

valeyard what are you trying to even do that code is ridiculous. are you looking to maybe end up with a map of lists of the values?

I had to consume a json and map it to some object and ended up with a List of Maps, because that is the structure of the json.

Then I was being retarded trying to squish this down into a single map, I was thinking "ah yeah I know all these numbers are gonna be unique" but then used the same key over and over again

I know what I should have done, create a Mao named yield and have the keys be maturity years and values be the yield, that was super dumb

Using Json makes sense in JavaScript. But not in Java

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 10, 2015

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Valeyard posted:

I had to consume a json and map it to some object and ended up with a List of Maps, because that is the structure of the json.

Then I was being retarded trying to squish this down into a single map, I was thinking "ah yeah I know all these numbers are gonna be unique" but then used the same key over and over again

I know what I should have done, create a Mao named yield and have the keys be maturity years and values be the yield, that was super dumb

Using Json makes sense in JavaScript. But not in Java

why are you using maps for this?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HappyHippo posted:

why are you using maps for this?

well its originally because of the structure of the json im getting. it was something of the form like {"id":"whatever", "datapoints":[{"whatever:1, "wahtever2":69}, ....]}

bigger laugh though

so we have a BIG DATA class, which apparently so badly run last year that they hauled the lecturer up to the school senate and some wrists were slapped

so this year was to be an improvement, and then these posts start to crop up

so they are all getting owned because everyone else is tseting their code using the cluster the uni gives them to process the poo poo ton of data they need to use. the final solution has now appeared:

each team gets an alloted slot of processor time and this poor guy ends up with 20:30 till 22:00 on a Friday night

owned

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

if you're taking a big data class you deserve everything you get

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Valeyard posted:

well its originally because of the structure of the json im getting. it was something of the form like {"id":"whatever", "datapoints":[{"whatever:1, "wahtever2":69}, ....]}

bigger laugh though

so we have a BIG DATA class, which apparently so badly run last year that they hauled the lecturer up to the school senate and some wrists were slapped

so this year was to be an improvement, and then these posts start to crop up

so they are all getting owned because everyone else is tseting their code using the cluster the uni gives them to process the poo poo ton of data they need to use. the final solution has now appeared:

each team gets an alloted slot of processor time and this poor guy ends up with 20:30 till 22:00 on a Friday night

owned

what is this 1964

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

what is this 1964

literally "hey mom get off the phone!!", its amazing

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
so retro they had to hire the BOFH

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?
has anybody in here used flexnet embedded? i'm having a hell of a time with this thing, just trying to compile one of their examples

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

so retro they had to hire the BOFH

when i was in college the shared build server was literally the BOFH's desktop, physically underneath his desk

running unpatched solaris with X11 ports open to the entire resnet :getin:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

https://github.com/flatiron/director suits my needs but I don't do anything particularly complicated, mileage may vary and all that. Supports html5 push state and hashroutes/real routes, although I've only been using hashroutes for my stuff.

this is very needs suiting so far. using the "adhoc" routes to add routes from external modules is cool and makes it ez to lazy load scripts/components based on routes.

master of the sea
Apr 16, 2003

*skweeeeeee*
terrible programmer status: started looking at fog and their vsphere implementation, now I'm fixing some stuff they couldn't test like provisioning against distributed switches etc, it's fun and I can use it at work

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squinty Applebottom posted:

if you're taking a big data class you deserve everything you get

what's wrong with taking a big data class?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
what the gently caress sort of magic does postman do that an normal ajax request doesn't do that makes it loving work in postman but spit a bunch of CORS errors otherwise

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
making an HTTP request in a HTTPS page?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i hate cors and whatever all that poo poo is

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MeruFM posted:

making an HTTP request in a HTTPS page?

no; if i make a http request it redirects appropriately and craps out anyway

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

uncurable mlady posted:

what the gently caress sort of magic does postman do that an normal ajax request doesn't do that makes it loving work in postman but spit a bunch of CORS errors otherwise

sets the appropriate extension permissions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the uk is weird man

we had some english guys come and teach us some vhdl last week which they all love over there and that language is hosed up.

any language where you have to overload all the +, -, * and so on operators right out of the gate because you didn't include a type that anyone uses in the original language is a dumb language, probably designed by some idiots like the DoD or something :colbert:

• Locked thread