Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Dr_Amazing posted:

He always seemed to be well on the path to be a super villain instead of a hero. Given the setting, picking on someone with no quirk would be like someone in our world flipping over people in wheelchairs and mocking them for not being able to walk.
Don't forget, should any of them have the audacity to learn to walk, it's up to him to cripple them again. Those third-class schmucks need to know their place.

Yeah, nah, maybe I'll come around to the guy once he demonstrates the capacity to be anything other than a Grade A dickweed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Don't forget, should any of them have the audacity to learn to walk, it's up to him to cripple them again. Those third-class schmucks need to know their place.

Yeah, nah, maybe I'll come around to the guy once he demonstrates the capacity to be anything other than a Grade A dickweed.

I'd love for him to still be one of the good guys but just a complete loving rear end in a top hat the whole time. Granted that wouldn't really be any character development (and we've already seen hints that he's growing), but I don't think I'd ever want to see him being nice and buddy buddy with people. Bakugou should stay an angry prick, just maybe verbally rather than physically.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying he's gotta pull a 180 or anything, but some volume control would be nice, maybe a few extra channels.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

man copycat teaming up with eraserhead would be a ridiculous combo

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

chumbler posted:

I'd love for him to still be one of the good guys but just a complete loving rear end in a top hat the whole time. Granted that wouldn't really be any character development (and we've already seen hints that he's growing), but I don't think I'd ever want to see him being nice and buddy buddy with people. Bakugou should stay an angry prick, just maybe verbally rather than physically.

Look, Vegeta may have became a good guy, but he was still a loving rear end in a top hat, so there's precedent.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

man copycat teaming up with eraserhead would be a ridiculous combo

If he ever gets the bright idea to copy Deku he will end up pulverised. He will way underestimate the control/physique required and completely ruin himself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't care if Bakugou becomes a sweet boy who's kind to old ladies or not, but I'd at least like him to smarten up. As it stands he's never going to amount to anything as a hero and everybody but him knows it. It would be nice if he'd figure out that he needs to either (a) become a nice guy; (b) pretend to be a nice guy; or (c) turn heel officially.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Part of me thinks that a lot of this is setting him up to massively fail in the face of a bunch of people that are either more powerful than him, better disciplined, or both and then to cast his lot in with the villain crew that obviously need some talent and gives him an opportunity to beat Deku and other heroes in front of the world to prove his superiority. That feels cliché though so I kinda want something more surprising.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Personally, I hope he fails out of the academy, and when the villains come to recruit him, he beats the hell out of them. I want him to be a standalone vigilante proving himself on the streets. He needs to be the angry grenade Batman to Deku's Superman.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Squidster posted:

Personally, I hope he fails out of the academy, and when the villains come to recruit him, he beats the hell out of them. I want him to be a standalone vigilante proving himself on the streets. He needs to be the angry grenade Batman to Deku's Superman.

He's Marvel to Deku's DC.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Now we know what happens to a frog that gets hit by lightning :v:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Radish posted:

Part of me thinks that a lot of this is setting him up to massively fail in the face of a bunch of people that are either more powerful than him, better disciplined, or both and then to cast his lot in with the villain crew that obviously need some talent and gives him an opportunity to beat Deku and other heroes in front of the world to prove his superiority. That feels cliché though so I kinda want something more surprising.

Right you basically just described Sasuke.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

We are 30 issues in and people are already worried that a character in the antagonist-ally role is going to turn into Sasuke despite already having a drastically different personality and relationship with the cast. What?

Sasuke was annoying because he was a sullen dick without a personality who everyone fawned over, and this never really changed over the course of the manga. Even when he would get shown up by Naruto he would just asspull some special ability 4 issues later and be back to being too cool for school. Bakugou is already more interesting than Sasuke was at any given point in Naruto.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Soylentbits posted:

He's Marvel to Deku's DC.

I can't see Deku ripping anyone's arms off though

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

dordreff posted:

I can't see Deku ripping anyone's arms off though

Maybe his own, accidently.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Squidster posted:

Deku is Golden Age Superman, Kacchan is EXTREME 90's Batman.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy A. Person posted:

We are 30 issues in and people are already worried that a character in the antagonist-ally role is going to turn into Sasuke despite already having a drastically different personality and relationship with the cast. What?

Sasuke was annoying because he was a sullen dick without a personality who everyone fawned over, and this never really changed over the course of the manga. Even when he would get shown up by Naruto he would just asspull some special ability 4 issues later and be back to being too cool for school. Bakugou is already more interesting than Sasuke was at any given point in Naruto.

This post brings up something I really like about Bakugou's characterization and the writing of the series as a whole. At least the way I seem to be reading it, most people aside from Deku don't even like him much because he's a huge angry dick all the time. He's strong, of course, and people would line up to team with him because of that. But it doesn't seem like too many other characters really like him. Unlike the aforementioned example of Sasuke where everyone seemed to constantly fawn over him and bend backwards to make sure he was the most important person in the plot.

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't care if Bakugou becomes a sweet boy who's kind to old ladies or not, but I'd at least like him to smarten up. As it stands he's never going to amount to anything as a hero and everybody but him knows it. It would be nice if he'd figure out that he needs to either (a) become a nice guy; (b) pretend to be a nice guy; or (c) turn heel officially.
I'm going to have to echo sentiments that he should stay the excitable, angry jerk he is but he does need to smarten up a bit and something like placing dead last in this event thanks to copy-kid might be a shock enough to kick that off.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
This manga made me actually just buy a Weekly Shonen Jump subscription.
I really like it. It's scratching a superhero itch that I don't feel like any western stuff is even trying for right now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really see where this whole "Bakugou will become a villain" thing is coming from because it seems like the dude obviously wants to be a superhero. He's grown up his whole life being looked up to because of his powers, and he lives in a world that worships popular heroes. He and Deku were the only ones in their class to apply to UA. What's being a villain gonna get you? People would fear him, but it seems like Baku wants accolades and adoration over fear. Being a superhero lets him rub his superiority over villains and other heroes. It might not be for the right reasons, but his goal of being a superhero isn't a bad one. Becoming a villain would be like an admission of giving up and admitting that he wasn't cut out for the job.

Hell, when he was faced with his limitations (too hot-headed and existence of a dude with even more broken powers) he just decided that he would do his best to become the best, as opposed to Sasuke's tactic of teaming up with whoever was likely to give him a power boost. All his loss did was make him reaffirm his goals. He outright told All Might his intentions of surpassing him.

I like Bakugou. I like that he is getting some character development, and I look forward to seeing what the author will do with him.

Hell, if anything, Icyhot is more like Sasuke. He comes from a noted family, is calm (thought not half as aloof as Sasuke), apparently has a complex (father, as opposed to brother), and is considered a genius / top player. Still a fuckton more humble and nicer than Sasuke though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't really see where this whole "Bakugou will become a villain" thing is coming from because it seems like the dude obviously wants to be a superhero. He's grown up his whole life being looked up to because of his powers, and he lives in a world that worships popular heroes. He and Deku were the only ones in their class to apply to UA. What's being a villain gonna get you? People would fear him, but it seems like Baku wants accolades and adoration over fear. Being a superhero lets him rub his superiority over villains and other heroes. It might not be for the right reasons, but his goal of being a superhero isn't a bad one. Becoming a villain would be like an admission of giving up and admitting that he wasn't cut out for the job.

Hell, when he was faced with his limitations (too hot-headed and existence of a dude with even more broken powers) he just decided that he would do his best to become the best, as opposed to Sasuke's tactic of teaming up with whoever was likely to give him a power boost. All his loss did was make him reaffirm his goals. He outright told All Might his intentions of surpassing him.

I like Bakugou. I like that he is getting some character development, and I look forward to seeing what the author will do with him.

Hell, if anything, Icyhot is more like Sasuke. He comes from a noted family, is calm (thought not half as aloof as Sasuke), apparently has a complex (father, as opposed to brother), and is considered a genius / top player. Still a fuckton more humble and nicer than Sasuke though.

The idea with Bakugou is pretty much the idea that he might snap. The guy is wound up tight as all hell, and constantly getting 'screwed over' by having some no name, no quirk kid from his old school beat him at things isn't helping. Of all the good guy heroes he is the one who has most of the traits you'd associate with a villain, and it really isn't hard to see him losing it on someone and getting kicked out, or being given an offer by a bad actor that would make him stronger. Frankly I feel like its less Sasuke and more Buu Saga Vegeta for the mold of villain he'd become, someone who gets so sick of getting beat by someone he sees as inferior that he makes a few really dumb decisions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honestly, I'm a little confused as to why everyone in the comic acts like Bakugou's power is particularly useful. I mean, it's kind of useful in terms of mobility, but it has virtually zero offensive utility in the context of being a hero (since you don't want to maim people/blow their faces off). Even ignoring that, it still seems like a bunch of the other quirks we've seen are way more useful (like the guy who can harden his skin for instance; he's presumably immune to bullets, which instantly puts him above most of the other heroes). Ice/Fire guy is obviously way more powerful, and I wouldn't be surprised if shadow bird guy is also better in a fight.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's flashy and it's powerful. Considering that being a superhero is mainly about grabbing as much attention as possible (see: Mt. Lady) even if you have to steal it from other heroes (see: Mt. Lady) it doesn't come as a surprise that Bakugou's power is seen as great. Also, it's not like villains are always gonna be weak, or even human for that matter. Most of the villains during the USJ arc were particularly weak, with the only notable exceptions being the main 3 and maybe the electric guy who jammed communications in the first place. You had monsters like Noumu who could tank a blow from All Might, and there's always robots. You want robots destroyed? Bakugou can do it and he can make it look good. Fly all over the place with his explosions, let out a massive blast that just fucks that poo poo up.

He also does appear to have control over his explosions, and it's not like a single explosion is always guaranteed to main. It also augments his hand-to-hand combat skills, as shown during his battle against Deku.

Skin-hardening guy has no presence cause his abilities don't really turn heads, and that's like a complex for him. The guy thinks of his own quirk as generic, and the presence of someone else with pretty much the same quirk comes as a blow to him during the first race.

It may not be the most broken, the most useful, or the most interesting, but it's an awesome quirk in my opinion, and fun to watch.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Caros posted:

The idea with Bakugou is pretty much the idea that he might snap. The guy is wound up tight as all hell, and constantly getting 'screwed over' by having some no name, no quirk kid from his old school beat him at things isn't helping. Of all the good guy heroes he is the one who has most of the traits you'd associate with a villain, and it really isn't hard to see him losing it on someone and getting kicked out, or being given an offer by a bad actor that would make him stronger. Frankly I feel like its less Sasuke and more Buu Saga Vegeta for the mold of villain he'd become, someone who gets so sick of getting beat by someone he sees as inferior that he makes a few really dumb decisions.

I don't know about that. Seems to me that snapping is more for people who bottle up emotions and that's obviously not Bomberman. So far we've seen him get really goddamned pissed once against Deku and that's when he seemed to control himself best.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nuebot posted:

I'm going to have to echo sentiments that he should stay the excitable, angry jerk he is but he does need to smarten up a bit and something like placing dead last in this event thanks to copy-kid might be a shock enough to kick that off.

The whole thing with him and Deku is that having to compete with the kid he picked on since they were 4 is one constant humbling experience that he super hates but has clearly learned from. Loosing to Deku is enough for him without Copycat entering into it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Right you basically just described Sasuke.

I watched half an episode of Naruto and a Giantbomb quicklook on the subject so I guess I have some kind of mystical bond with that comic is what I'm saying.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's powers are anime explosions, meaning you can beat people up with them and knock them out and the results are crosshatches and smoke rather than say 3rd degree burns and dismemberment.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Radish posted:

I watched half an episode of Naruto and a Giantbomb quicklook on the subject so I guess I have some kind of mystical bond with that comic is what I'm saying.

I am so sorry about your condition

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I am so sorry about your condition

Believe it :smith:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just noticed on a re-read that the principal is in the corner there throwing his hands up at Deku's sick robot punch. :3:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
What was the villain with the hands' power?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Apocron posted:

What was the villain with the hands' power?

Anything he touches disintegrates.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://bato.to/read/_/304574/boku-no-hero-academia_ch30_by_fallen-angels/3

New chapter and lots of last minute action.

Glad to see Icy Hot is self-aware enough to realize he hosed up with his self-imposed promise.

Haha Kaminari's herptalk. :3:

Endeavor's facial hair is on the next level.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 16, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou remains rad as all hell.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Harvey Birdman is alright too.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Deku cried so hard, his feet are in the ground. Could probably knock someone out with that amount of tears.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

A Bystander posted:

Deku cried so hard, his feet are in the ground. Could probably knock someone out with that amount of tears.

Could this be a facet of One for All that All Might doesn't like to talk about?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So Endeavor must be Icy Hot's dad right?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dr_Amazing posted:

So Endeavor must be Icy Hot's dad right?

...This has been explicitly stated, I'm fairly certain. Like, multiple times.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Vengarr posted:

Harvey Birdman is alright too.

That was something I really appreciated. The mangaka really does understand that Midoriya's team winning is not the same as Midoriya himself being the one to get the win. In this case its not even something he deliberately set up, but just Fumikage taking advantage of everyone being distracted. Means the story can still progress, but the exact conclusion isn't set in stone. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

...This has been explicitly stated, I'm fairly certain. Like, multiple times.

I'm starting to suspect that All Might could actually be that skinny dude who keeps showing up.