Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

hey look theyve got ad copy now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
if you think about it, running a jitney cab service is a lot like ending segregation

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

duTrieux. posted:

like, seriously, that poo poo's a loving bar fight if it's ever said out loud

Ah ha, hush that fuss
Everybody move to the back of the bus

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

hey look theyve got ad copy now

Thats a joke, right?

Apr 7, 2003

Uber: Your own Underground Railroad®

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah just a lil somethin i whipped up

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Its hard to tell because we are already through the looking glass with poo poo like that

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

get it spreading through twitter as a purported upcoming ad campaign

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

Its hard to tell because we are already through the looking glass with poo poo like that

it'd be so fuckin evil too because it has this initial read of "yeah sista! go get that uber ride and tell The Man to piss off!" but the reality is that the focus could also be on the white dude who's like oh my god i wish there was a way i could get off the bus away from this nnnnnnnnnNO CARRIER

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Necc0 posted:

don't think you're allowed to be this blatant when abusing h1-bs but i'm not a lawyer

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...tors_picks=true

if we can send every last scrap of our manufacturing out of the country, the only thing stopping sending everything else is the education level of the 2nd and 3rd world, and it is being raised for precisely that reason

lust for death etc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i still haven't gotten used to the GAR-BAGE DICK avs being the new generic stupid newbie avatars and it's making me think everyone who has one is the same person.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

don't think you're allowed to be this blatant when abusing h1-bs but i'm not a lawyer

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...tors_picks=true

isn't the whole excuse of the h1b visa that you are bringing in someone from oversees because you couldn't find anyone local to do the job?

how does that fig leaf hold up when you are having the existing employees train the h1b holds?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
do you think anyone that matters will ever ask that question

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wulfolme posted:

do you think anyone that matters will ever ask that question

no, but they used to try to pay lip service to the premise

maybe they're taking cues from their neighbour to the north. our TFA program has seen rousing success replacing unskilled restaurant and service industry workers with purpose-hired fast-tracked TFAs housed in company dorms and cheap bunkhouses

no one even noticed until one of the banks tried to pull that poo poo on some white IT workers

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sf has absolute poo poo public transport and lol if you pay rent in that fuckin city.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

no, but they used to try to pay lip service to the premise

maybe they're taking cues from their neighbour to the north. our TFA program has seen rousing success replacing unskilled restaurant and service industry workers with purpose-hired fast-tracked TFAs housed in company dorms and cheap bunkhouses

no one even noticed until one of the banks tried to pull that poo poo on some white IT workers

based on lots of casual observations and discussions with people around bentonville, walmart is running some fuckin kind of shimmy shake through canada, lots of people that by every observable notion were mainland chinese, but all swore up and down that they were from Canadian As gently caress from vancouver

i dont know exactly what it is, but the term "year and a day" probably factors in somewhere

e: i am fully aware of the strong actual asian immigrant presence in vancouver and BC. this was not that.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Jonny 290 posted:

e: i am fully aware of the strong actual asian immigrant presence in vancouver and BC. this was not that.

are you? canada, british columbia in particular, has a very strong anti-assimilation culture. i live in richmond, bc which is where the pre-china handover hong kong diaspora (so 20+ years ago at this point) settled and many of my neighbors speak literally zero english. they don't have to. it's perfectly possible to spend months in richmond without ever needing to speak english. almost every store and government service is available in cantonese. if you speak mandarin you've got burnaby and coquitlam. filipinos have the kingsway corridor in east van. the indian subcontinent has the largest city in british columbia -- surrey. it's not just asian either. there are italians who have lived in east van and north burnaby since the 30s who still speak no english. canada isn't the usa, speaking english or adopting north american culture is completely optional

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah canada loves to brag about that, especially in comparison to the usa's melting pot concept

in canadian elementary school they will say "oh, yes, there are lots of immigrants in the usa, but everyone has to be an american first and foremost. they all melt together. in canada we're more like a mixed salad, where everyone gets to keep their own distinctiveness while still making a whole!"

then i had a girlfriend who was born in romania who utterly hated the concept and thought the melting pot was a way better idea. because everywhere she'd go they'd ask (hearing her accent) "where are you from?" and she'd say "toronto" having lived there most of her life and they'd say "yeah but where are you REALLY from" -- trying to be ~so understanding~ but actually just being big ol' racists

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

the talent deficit posted:

are you? canada, british columbia in particular, has a very strong anti-assimilation culture. i live in richmond, bc which is where the pre-china handover hong kong diaspora (so 20+ years ago at this point) settled and many of my neighbors speak literally zero english. they don't have to. it's perfectly possible to spend months in richmond without ever needing to speak english. almost every store and government service is available in cantonese. if you speak mandarin you've got burnaby and coquitlam. filipinos have the kingsway corridor in east van. the indian subcontinent has the largest city in british columbia -- surrey. it's not just asian either. there are italians who have lived in east van and north burnaby since the 30s who still speak no english. canada isn't the usa, speaking english or adopting north american culture is completely optional

when is the last time you actually went to richmond because it hasn't been the territory of hongers for almost a decade. It's all mainlanders with x5's and ferraris these days.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Well I can safely scrub the io programming language of things to try, knowing that the creator owns truly dumb statements such as the above.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

then i had a girlfriend who was born in romania who utterly hated the concept and thought the melting pot was a way better idea. because everywhere she'd go they'd ask (hearing her accent) "where are you from?" and she'd say "toronto" having lived there most of her life and they'd say "yeah but where are you REALLY from" -- trying to be ~so understanding~ but actually just being big ol' racists

this usually just means "where's your family from" and nobody gives a gently caress its a conversation starter, lmao if you think the US has a better immigrant culture

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

this happens in america too, unfortunately

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

yeah canada loves to brag about that, especially in comparison to the usa's melting pot concept

in canadian elementary school they will say "oh, yes, there are lots of immigrants in the usa, but everyone has to be an american first and foremost. they all melt together. in canada we're more like a mixed salad, where everyone gets to keep their own distinctiveness while still making a whole!"

I think they just wanted to know where she was from because they knew she was full of poo poo by saying toronto

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"where are you from"
"toronto"
"no but where are you really from"
"oshawa :smith:"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pinterest Mom posted:

"where are you from"
"toronto"

lol

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Asking where someone is from is racist, especially if they're too insecure to give you a non-bullshit answer

Apr 7, 2003

I'm from Pittsburgh.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

our TFA program has seen rousing success replacing unskilled restaurant and service industry workers with purpose-hired fast-tracked TFAs housed in company dorms and cheap bunkhouses

whats tfa

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

emoji posted:

Asking where someone is from is racist, especially if they're too insecure to give you a non-bullshit answer

what if you're not from the place you're asking in? like you're not from the US, in the US, and asking if another person is from the US?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

graph posted:

whats tfa

it's tfw, temporary foreign workers

a special kind of visa in which companies can bring in foreign workers ("only if there are no canadian workers available" lol) to do work, and they can only stay in the country as long as they're employed by the company that brought them in.

an innovative new way to skew the management/worker dynamic even further in management's favour.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Condiv posted:

what if you're not from the place you're asking in? like you're not from the US, in the US, and asking if another person is from the US?

how about when you meet another american while you're overseas, and you're curious about what part of the country they're from?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Condiv posted:

That's normal.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

emoji posted:

That's normal.

super glad i pass the nonracist test once again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's tfw, temporary foreign workers

thanks, i wrote that up last night and somehow didn't notice.

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

this usually just means "where's your family from" and nobody gives a gently caress its a conversation starter, lmao if you think the US has a better immigrant culture

i get asked this constantly, i was born and raised here and my mother's family is like fourth or fifth generation french-canadian. they always keep pressing though because apparently i have some bizarre unidentifiable accent, and besides no one's "from" canada right?

eventually i just tell them my father's from malta (he came over at age 3) and this seems to satisfy them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

"where are you from"
"toronto"

haha nice. whenever i meet someone here (seattle) with an ontario accent i always guess thorn hill and i am batting like .850

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this happens in america too, unfortunately

i was having a nice dinner with a lady once when some random old dude stopped as he was walking by my table and loudly asked where i was from. born and raised in southern california, just outside of LA.

"no, i mean, before that"

gently caress you, old dude.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
do you have a strange accent. if you do it's a reasonable question

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

emoji posted:

yeah, it's totally reasonable to go up to somebody you don't know in a restaurant and immediately ask where they're from. nothing offensive about that at all.

also

duTrieux. posted:

born and raised in southern california

i'm pretty sure that southern californians are used to the southern california accent.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

emoji posted:

no, just mind your own business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

i was having a nice dinner with a lady once when some random old dude stopped as he was walking by my table and loudly asked where i was from. born and raised in southern california, just outside of LA.

"no, i mean, before that"

gently caress you, old dude.

you just come off as smug. what you typed doesn't seem to be racist on the part of the old guy, who is probably just friendly and a little dumb. somehow i doubt he was singling you out on the basis of your race as if he had never seen your skin color before, in southern california, where every ethnicity on the planet is represented

• Locked thread