Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

idk nginx but try removing everything but the bare minimum ssl config and see if it works. also make sure w/e user nginx is running as can access your key (both file permissions + password if it has one)
bare minimum ssl didn't work either, at least when i tried what i thought to be bare minimum. nginx user has full (relatively) access to directory and cert/key/dhparam files

Sniep posted:

oh yea didnt think bout that, did you password the key and is nginx able to unencrypt it?

i mean drat man you gotta have some sort of logs of the ssl part bitching somewhere, im just not that familiar with nginx logs
i did decrypt private key, its unpassworded
ill try to find some ssl-specific logs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
tbh shaggar i do not like ur new avatar as much as the old one... its like u r going emo w/that becasse u use windows only o iget it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
hey pull the "listen 443 default ssl;" out of your nginx.conf and leave it in the other one

having it declared twice might be loving something?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

hey pull the "listen 443 default ssl;" out of your nginx.conf and leave it in the other one

having it declared twice might be loving something?
apparently, though i thought that it shouldn't affect that
i commented out both listens from nginx.conf and it works
youre nginx wizard now

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ok cool

now consolidate the two drat loving config files so you arent doing bullshit here and other bullshit there that are the same drat configuration spec

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

kalstrams posted:

apparently, though i thought that it shouldn't affect that
i commented out both listens from nginx.conf and it works
youre nginx wizard now

after looking at the docs

listen 443 ssl;

and

listen 443;
ssl on;

are the same things and the first one is recommended so who knows if doing
listen 443 ssl;
ssl on;

fucks it up. try removing ssl on; from what you originally posted and see if that works.

who the hell even knows. Linux is poo poo and nginx seems poorly documented for something that seems relatively popular.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

now consolidate the two drat loving config files so you arent doing bullshit here and other bullshit there that are the same drat configuration spec
i think i won't touch nginx.conf until it breaks again, i configure stuff in separate *.conf files for each app and this is first one to break

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

like u could have setup an entire IIS cluster in the time it took for me to post this

and gotten it hacked five times over as well

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
iis - worse than php

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what does determine permissions for when i make service in systemd?
i am trying to create service test.service from a java file test.jar in directory /usr/test/
both folder and file are, for testing purposes, chmoded to 777 and chowned to test:test
yet when i try to launch service like
code:
Unit]
Description=test instance
After=network.target syslog.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/test java -Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=250M -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar test.jar <port>
User=test
StandardOutput=syslog

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
it gives me back
code:
Feb 07 19:24:11 pos systemd[9232]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/test: Permission denied
normally i'd continue digging somewhere, but i tried, for sake of test, to change user to root in the service, and still got permission deneied, and thus now im wondering how exactly these things work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

and gotten it hacked five times over as well

lol. iis is more secure than any other web server..

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kalstrams posted:

what does determine permissions for when i make service in systemd?
i am trying to create service test.service from a java file test.jar in directory /usr/test/
both folder and file are, for testing purposes, chmoded to 777 and chowned to test:test
yet when i try to launch service like
code:
Unit]
Description=test instance
After=network.target syslog.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/test java -Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=250M -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar test.jar <port>
User=test
StandardOutput=syslog

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
it gives me back
code:
Feb 07 19:24:11 pos systemd[9232]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/test: Permission denied
normally i'd continue digging somewhere, but i tried, for sake of test, to change user to root in the service, and still got permission deneied, and thus now im wondering how exactly these things work

It's trying to execute /usr/test, which is a directory.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

It's trying to execute /usr/test, which is a directory.
alright ill take documentation then since in my understanding i was asking it to run 'java -Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=250M -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar test.jar <port>' in the '/usr/test' folder

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
how do you debug a full screen application in xcode? like, when it hits a breakpoint, all I end up with is a frozen console.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kalstrams posted:

alright ill take documentation then since in my understanding i was asking it to run 'java -Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=250M -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar test.jar <port>' in the '/usr/test' folder

it doesnt work that way you should do this instead

ExecStart=/usr/bin/java -Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=250M -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar /usr/test/test.jar 42021969

(idk if your java lives there but for example)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

it doesnt work that way you should do this instead

ExecStart=/usr/bin/java -Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=250M -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar /usr/test/test.jar 42021969

(idk if your java lives there but for example)
oh, thank you - this worked
i did try it like /usr/bin/java /usr/test/ java -Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=250M -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar test.jar <port> in the attempt prior to the one posted, didnt though of putting it the way you proposed
now it's gateway 502 tho but that's a non-issue thankfully

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
why does the volume change on my iphone by pressing the volume buttons have to be so extreme? can i make it smaller somehow?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

why does the volume change on my iphone by pressing the volume buttons have to be so extreme? can i make it smaller somehow?

yeah get a regualr 6 its smaller than the 6+

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

bobbilljim posted:

yeah get a regualr 6 its smaller than the 6+

no what i mean is when i press the volume buttons the volume change is too much. i want it to go up or down in smaller increments

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

your listening 2 it wrong(ly)

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

earplugs, op

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Dolomite posted:

earplugs, op

i'd like it to have at least a half but more like a quarter volume change of what it is now when i push the buttons. it's way too much. if there's no way to change this then that's a huge Apple Fail(TM)

also what do you think op means?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

everyone is the op of their own post

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

overpowered

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

try pressing the volume down button lightly

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

bobbilljim posted:

try pressing the volume down button lightly

doesn't seem to matter OR i don't know my own strength

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Jailbreak and then replace the sound driver with one of your own creation

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm just going to write a letter to apple

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

we're getting new netapp hardware to replace our current old as poo poo and imploding units. the storage network is running on 1gig twisted pair and my boss is being cheap and poo poo and not forking up the money 10gig switches like I need and making me limp along with the old poo poo. our bottleneck has always been the old units disk and never the network links getting saturated, but that's about to invert. how does vmware handle saturation of the storage fabric when the disk still has capacity? I'm hoping I can aggregate together enough interfaces to get 6gig total (currently only 2) but thats nothing compared to the 20gig minimum I would have from new switches

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

we're getting new netapp hardware to replace our current old as poo poo and imploding units. the storage network is running on 1gig twisted pair and my boss is being cheap and poo poo and not forking up the money 10gig switches like I need and making me limp along with the old poo poo. our bottleneck has always been the old units disk and never the network links getting saturated, but that's about to invert. how does vmware handle saturation of the storage fabric when the disk still has capacity? I'm hoping I can aggregate together enough interfaces to get 6gig total (currently only 2) but thats nothing compared to the 20gig minimum I would have from new switches

what are u gonna use (theoretically) for the 10g switches

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

what are u gonna use (theoretically) for the 10g switches

two powerconnect N4032F's hooked together on an mlag

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

also I need one of those rack mount monitors that slides out and flips down so it only eats up 1U in the rack but I have no idea who makes them

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Twice now i have shut down my computer and after shutting off for maybe ten seconds it turns itself back on, no input from me at all

Do momentary switches ever go bad and just randomly make contact?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

also I need one of those rack mount monitors that slides out and flips down so it only eats up 1U in the rack but I have no idea who makes them

hp does

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

Twice now i have shut down my computer and after shutting off for maybe ten seconds it turns itself back on, no input from me at all

Do momentary switches ever go bad and just randomly make contact?

I get that sometimes it's a bios bug

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

okay yeah "console" is the more general term I should have been using. thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

i got one of these used a while ago and it was fine for loving around with an xserve:
http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/rw119-n-101.html

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
WTF is the below mouse pointer icon? every few days it replaces the normal mouse pointer icon in outlook and on the desktop, but not in any browser or in word/excel, and persists until I reboot. the area inside the red swoosh/arrow is not transparent, it is always white. any idea?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Alereon posted:

WTF is the below mouse pointer icon? every few days it replaces the normal mouse pointer icon in outlook and on the desktop, but not in any browser or in word/excel, and persists until I reboot. the area inside the red swoosh/arrow is not transparent, it is always white. any idea?

graphics driver problems? it looks like the red swoosh is part of a circle-slash prohibitory symbol to me and it's mixing up two cursors

sometimes i get the comb cursor on my ati card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Alereon posted:

graphics card issue, some kind of memory corruption