Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The pre-order price is really reasonable too (either standalone or as a bundle), I'll definitely be jumping right on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm going to continue my usual policy of listening to everything in order and being really excited about what I'll be hearing four years from now, but I look forward to the reviews in this thread.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Davros1 posted:

I get an email newsletter from BF, and got one today about UNIT, and couldn't help notice this particular wording;

Bolding mine.

Also, the email was sent under the header "The New Series".

Oh god, I'm going to buy my first Big FInish. What have you done to me Oxxidation

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Oh god, I'm going to buy my first Big FInish. What have you done to me Oxxidation

Welcome aboard, Soothing Vapors. Don't worry, it's completely harmless, and you can stop listening at any time. Haha.

Start playing some of the reproductions and tape his eyes open, people. A memory worm and some of Baker's punch and we'll have converted another victim.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Hopefully we'll get Paternoster box sets.

What other non-doctor, non-companion possibilities are there from modern who?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

adhuin posted:

Hopefully we'll get a Paternoster box sets.

I want kid detective series starring Amelia Pond and her best friend Rory.

But no Mels. Never Mels.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

adhuin posted:

Maybe some of the Sarah Smith gang for some individual adventures. River, certainly. Jenny from the Doctor's Daughter. We shouldn't count our chickens before they hatch, though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

adhuin posted:

Torchwood & Georgia Tennant?

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

CobiWann posted:

Someone reloaded his HIGNFY appearance onto YouTube. It's great, especially this scene.

http://youtu.be/Wxsw03U3eCw

"I tried that once, I think it was in The Sontaran Experiment..."
"Did it work?"
"loving disaster."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cruel Rose posted:

"I tried that once, I think it was in The Sontaran Experiment..."
"Did it work?"
"loving disaster."

"Hello. I used to be Jon Pertwee."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I want kid detective series starring Amelia Pond and her best friend Rory.

But no Mels. Never Mels.

Darvill's worked with them before, if they got the licence, I'd imagine a Last Centurion set might be something they'd think about.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
I thought the thread title was woefully out of date, in fact it was shockingly prescient.

Happy Doctor Who Christmas, everyone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

"Hello. I used to be Jon Pertwee."

I love at the end when he turns to the panel and says,"What went right?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Darvill's worked with them before, if they got the licence, I'd imagine a Last Centurion set might be something they'd think about.

Oh please please please please please. More Rory Williams is all I really want out of Who these days.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The only existing Bug Finish stuff I listen to is Jago & Litefoot, but I would love to hear the researchers from Hide in spin-off audios where they investigate spooky Stone Tape/Sapphire and Steel :iiam: things.

It would be less niche than some of the inexplicable garbage ranges they've done multiple seasons for.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Squizzle posted:

It would be less niche than some of the inexplicable garbage ranges they've done multiple seasons for.

Most of the inexplicable garbage ranges I've heard so far are actually the not niche ones, like The Dalek Empire and Cyberman. Gallifrey and Unbound is honestly some of their best stuff.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah, but what is Graceless, and has anyone cared about the answer in the whole history of human giving-a-gently caress? Same question, but this time Vienna?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's happening it's happening it's happening :woop:

Honestly there's a hundred different new who spin offs I'd love to see, but especially anything with Jack Harkness. Get him some non-Torchwood writing and he could be a really great character. Especially if he's teamed up with River being written by someone other than Moffat...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

It's happening it's happening it's happening :woop:

Honestly there's a hundred different new who spin offs I'd love to see, but especially anything with Jack Harkness. Get him some non-Torchwood writing and he could be a really great character. Especially if he's teamed up with River being written by someone other than Moffat...

River and Jack could be amazing. That said I'm kinda sad we wouldn't be seeing them together with the Doctor, because they'd be having so much fun at his expense together.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MikeJF posted:

River and Jack could be amazing. That said I'm kinda sad we wouldn't be seeing them together with the Doctor, because they'd be having so much fun at his expense together.

And Alex Kingston and John Barrowman met on the set of Arrow and are apparently now friends and would totally jump at the chance to do it, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Squizzle posted:

The only existing Bug Finish stuff I listen to is Jago & Litefoot, but I would love to hear the researchers from Hide in spin-off audios where they investigate spooky Stone Tape/Sapphire and Steel :iiam: things.

Jago and Litefoot and the Paternosters!!!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I keep trying to save up for some Dark Shadows plays myself...

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Strange request, can I get a .gif of that cool flourish Capaldi does with his coat at the end of Deep Breath?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's incredibly unlikely, but it'd be amazing if they kept it a secret, and at the end of the first new UNIT set, the UNIT team are trapped by the Autons, but Kate's able to hit some signalling whatsit she's been fiddling with throughout the series...

*VWORRP VWORRP*

"What do we have here? A gaggle of Autons? Welllll, I say a gaggle, more of a swarm really. Wellll, I say a swarm, more like a hive... Tsk, Kate, you have had some cowboys in here."

(Only, y'know, less rubbish dialogue)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L posted:

It's incredibly unlikely, but it'd be amazing if they kept it a secret, and at the end of the first new UNIT set, the UNIT team are trapped by the Autons, but Kate's able to hit some signalling whatsit she's been fiddling with throughout the series...

*VWORRP VWORRP*

"What do we have here? A gaggle of Autons? Welllll, I say a gaggle, more of a swarm really. Wellll, I say a swarm, more like a hive... Tsk, Kate, you have had some cowboys in here."

(Only, y'know, less rubbish dialogue)

If Big Finish pulled that off, even with that exact same dialogue (I know where you’re coming from, Gaz-L, I could hear Tennant’s voice in my head), I would be slamming my credit card against the computer screen yelling “TAKE MY MONEY!”

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

So I bought the Eighth Doctor bundle from the recent sale I can't get Caerdroia to unzip properly :(

I also cannot get anything to download from Big Finish on various Windows machines and have to download them on my Linux box.

Anyone else had problems downloading/unzipping audios?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Failure to unzip sounds like a faulty download. Re-download should fix that.

No idea on the windows-machine failures apart from what the Big Finish itself recommends.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

SpaceCommie posted:

So I bought the Eighth Doctor bundle from the recent sale I can't get Caerdroia to unzip properly :(

You should empty your McGann cache before decompressing Caerdroia, as that particular audio contains significantly more McGanns than your system is used to.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm behind on my Big Finish lately, because I listen to it during my commute normally, and there is no such thing as a commute here in Boston, where all the trains are shut down and the snow is piled up to the windows everywhere.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

adhuin posted:

Failure to unzip sounds like a faulty download. Re-download should fix that.

No idea on the windows-machine failures apart from what the Big Finish itself recommends.

I tried re-downloading but that didn't help.

To be honest the windows thing doesn't bother me too much, just means I have to download all my audios at work.

After The War posted:

You should empty your McGann cache before decompressing Caerdroia, as that particular audio contains significantly more McGanns than your system is used to.

I found a program called Zagreus.sh to do this for me and now all my audios are in another dimension.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

I found a program called Zagreus.sh to do this for me

I was going to make a joke about failing to unzagreus the files, but the syllables not matching made it too clunky. :(

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ask nicely and I'll send you a flash drive of Big Finish's greatest hits...first one's free...

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Remember that video showing off the average face of the Doctor? Well, there's one for the Master now too.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I'm behind on my Big Finish lately, because I listen to it during my commute normally, and there is no such thing as a commute here in Boston, where all the trains are shut down and the snow is piled up to the windows everywhere.

Sounds like a good time to listen to Spare Parts to me

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

I keep trying to save up for some Dark Shadows plays myself...

I intersperse these in with my DW purchases. I finally bit the bullet on the Tony Peterson/Cassandra ones despite being very skeptical of a non-Trask Jerry Lacy character, and him somehow palling around with Angelique and still calling her Cassandra, but I'm glad I did because they own.

I still haven't heard Arthur Darvill's stuff yet, but I have to say Colin Baker's DS debut fell flat. Granted it was kind of a concept story and setting up his future appearances which might be different, but it didn't work for me. I was taken way out of it by him reading the lines for Caroline and Judith. loving hell Lidster, just get over it and hire soundalikes like they're already doing on the DW side with Pertwee (or Frazer and Peter imitating Trougton and Hartnell)!

I'm not so sure Kate Stewart and UNIT are really compelling to me, but I'd be totally down with Captain Jack returning to who, and a Rory Centurion story/series would be a a definite buy for me.

One story I really, really want is Captain Jack working for Torchwood in the 70s (or 80s) and they go to the same alien invasion as UNIT and the 3rd Doctor, he realizes it isn't *his* Doctor and we get a comedy of errors as he has to avoid ruining the Doctor's personal timeline.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Oxxidation posted:

Whatever happens, it's sure to get complicated.

You sir, are an rear end in a top hat. Great job!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Can I just say that, as horrible as The Horns of Nimon is, I enjoy the very last scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZB2vTF6Cwk

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

What are the 4 episodes people normally recommend to try to start with Mcgann. I know it's storm warning and Chimes of Midnight, but I can't remember what the other two are?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Little_wh0re posted:

What are the 4 episodes people normally recommend to try to start with Mcgann. I know it's storm warning and Chimes of Midnight, but I can't remember what the other two are?

Minuet in Hell and Terror Firma :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Little_wh0re posted:

Seasons of Fear is really, really good. After that, eh, whatever

• Locked thread