Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MrPants posted:

With how long it has taken them to get the game into its current half baked state, it seems so pointless to wait for this thing to become a fully featured dick that I can put in my rear end and mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
I can't tell if this is all bitter sarcasm or genuine distaste for the yearly update, and as a result I'm unsure if I should continue running a goon server.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If people want to play in it, I say go for it. If you don't want to run one, don't. I wouldn't let the thread color your opinions on the game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

If someone read this thread they might see all the mods and mistakenly think this game is good

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
Oh no I have fun playing it from time to time, it's not too bad if you don't try to play through entirely to the top tier metals in a night. But I knew others were interested and asking so I figured why not, it's barely using any resources on my machine, but if it isn't going to be utilized at all then I'll find something else to allocate it to.

I am enjoying slowly draining this ocean world completely.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I spent all night building a fancy-rear end space mansion on my starter world out of all the ship walls I've been saving up, can't wait for the next wipe!

Does grass not grow on dirt? Even before I dug everything up today some of the ground I laid has been bare dirt for a while.

Also I haven't really been paying attention so I had no idea there was a goon server, I'll definitely come check it out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I like playing Starbound.
Combat being less lovely went a long way towards that, probably. And I know it's far from finished and many things need work and calling the updates slow is putting it mildly, but I've put a lot of hours into it since the update. Certainly a more than I did before, and I've enjoyed it a lot even in its current state. :shrug:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I like playing Starbound.
Combat being less lovely went a long way towards that, probably. And I know it's far from finished and many things need work and calling the updates slow is putting it mildly, but I've put a lot of hours into it since the update. Certainly a more than I did before, and I've enjoyed it a lot even in its current state. :shrug:

I'm in a similar boat I think. My server is more active than it ever was pre-update with about 10 or so people coming and going as they wind down from work or just before bed and wanna chill out after more hardcore games or whatever and it's working out nice as just a sort of low effort hangout where we circle planets playing songs at each other, dig for random stuff, throw handfuls of gnomes around and build bases or silly stuff. Most of the nitpicks from before are gone or mitigated, all they seem to want now is a way to keep a coordinate list ingame.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I've been working on surface modifiers that can give status effects. I decided to replicate the acceleration and bouncy gels from Portal 2 for the hell of it, as a test.

Accelerator Gel works just as intended:

Bouncy Gel... uh...

Like gently caress am I changing it though. :colbert:

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

I Said No posted:

I've been working on surface modifiers that can give status effects. I decided to replicate the acceleration and bouncy gels from Portal 2 for the hell of it, as a test.

Bouncy Gel... uh...

You're doing God's Cave Johnson's work, soldier. Keep it up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I Said No posted:

Bouncy Gel... uh...

Oh, cool, I was just working at player physics last night too, but from the other end - instead of making the blocks themselves give physics, give physics with status effects, to make weather & biomes more interesting. Like, right now Arctic planets mostly just make you slow and give you damage, that's boring as poo poo. It'd be way better if you were sliding all over the place.

Looking into the public Starbound documentation, they give you access to a ton of poo poo. You can just flat-off turn friction off if you want too, or put it in the negative so that your character goes faster and faster as you move, whatever. They give you enough control over poo poo like ground & air control that I think it'd be very feasible if someone wanted to make a "tighter platforming controls" mod.

Or, hell, tighter platforming could even be a status effect that comes into play automatically in platforming dungeons. Not sure how to make that happen in a microdungeon, but it'd be far from impossible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For these goon servers you guys are mentioning, is there yet a way for anyone playing to see a list of other people currently online? Was there a way before and I just didn't know of it? A friend, months and months ago, was running a server, but unless I typed out his name to add to my party, I had no idea whether he was online, or if anyone else was on too.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It's a real shame that the skyrails require durasteel. I feel like that makes them prohibitively expensive in building.

That and the skyhook really shouldn't be a tech.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
You'll drown in durasteel as it turns out the two ingredients are very common on any mid tier planet

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

You'll drown in durasteel as it turns out the two ingredients are very common on any mid tier planet

I'm at the end game, and have the max level ship. I still feel durasteel is too expensive to build an interesting skyrail system.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The lack of shitposts on this last page is making me kind of uncomfortable. Can you guys go back to talking about how much the game sucks as you sink 1000 hours into it?

Anyways, I still haven't tried the new update, so I should probably do that.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm at the end game, and have the max level ship. I still feel durasteel is too expensive to build an interesting skyrail system.

I could use a break from loving with guns. I'll fix this once I get home tonight.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I guess it all comes down to how willing you are to waste time mining for it.

I'd say it shouldn't be a problem but that's cause playing starbound is a waste of time in the first place.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

After nearly a week of nothing, they've finally updated the devblog!

Hahaha just kidding, they're actually just trying to pump you for more money. Although the OBEY poster is kinda cool.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Hahaha just kidding, they're actually just trying to pump you for more money. Although the OBEY poster is kinda cool.

T-shirts are pretty played out at this point, but they're sitting on a gold mine of posters and nick-nack poo poo

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For these goon servers you guys are mentioning, is there yet a way for anyone playing to see a list of other people currently online? Was there a way before and I just didn't know of it? A friend, months and months ago, was running a server, but unless I typed out his name to add to my party, I had no idea whether he was online, or if anyone else was on too.

I'm actually working on a wrapper that will filter out names of connecting/disconnecting players to create a playerlist on the status page of my server, and I was toying with creating an ingame command but I'm not sure that's too feasible right now.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
What would be the ideal ways for you to mine, Starbound thread?

I want the mod thing I have to not just expand the MM options but to add other mining things.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
someone post burka horse

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

The Mattybee posted:

What would be the ideal ways for you to mine, Starbound thread?

I want the mod thing I have to not just expand the MM options but to add other mining things.

I want a mining laser, both a small handheld one and maybe a large stationary one that is 4 pixels wide to carve out shafts or pathways. It could take that ship fuel stuff or something and when activated, fire until the fuel is empty.

Also, maybe some special high-tech bombs that are crafted to destroy only a single type of block?

In any case, explosions are good.

Finally, I guess Starbound doesn't have any sort of gas simulation? It would be neat to pump some cave full of heavier-than-air gas and then detonate it. Nice way to clean out monsters.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Quarries or automated mining is what I want. Or missions that require me to actually do something interesting like build a mansion using specific materials or craft something complex or discover something awesome. Something singular and game changing that's actually worth working up towards. I've just passed beyond the Floran Party tier and I'm starting to get REALLY tired of the rinse and repeat tiers.

I'll tell you the next mission if you get [armor set].
Ok, go fight [boss] and I'll give you [the next version of the crafting bench/furnace/anvil].
Ok, now go get me [random thing] and I'll give you the [next suit you need to get the next ore].
Ok, I'll tell you the next mission if you get [next armor set]...

At this point I've played the same palette swapped missions over again 3 times. Give me a better early to mid game and give me an actual late game. They put progression and mission structure in an open world game and they want it both ways but instead the missions are boring and the true open world game is locked behind missions so they don't give us EITHER way, really.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

mutata posted:

Quarries or automated mining is what I want. Or missions that require me to actually do something interesting like build a mansion using specific materials or craft something complex or discover something awesome. Something singular and game changing that's actually worth working up towards. I've just passed beyond the Floran Party tier and I'm starting to get REALLY tired of the rinse and repeat tiers.

Ok, go fight [boss] and I'll give you [the next version of the crafting bench/furnace/anvil].
Ok, now go get me [random thing] and I'll give you the [next suit you need to get the next ore].

At this point I've played the same palette swapped missions over again 3 times. Give me a better early to mid game and give me an actual late game. They put progression and mission structure in an open world game and they want it both ways but instead the missions are boring and the true open world game is locked behind missions so they don't give us EITHER way, really.

At this point you might as well make the game good and we can't have that, now can we?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Inverness posted:

I want a mining laser, both a small handheld one and maybe a large stationary one that is 4 pixels wide to carve out shafts or pathways. It could take that ship fuel stuff or something and when activated, fire until the fuel is empty.

Also, maybe some special high-tech bombs that are crafted to destroy only a single type of block?

In any case, explosions are good.

Finally, I guess Starbound doesn't have any sort of gas simulation? It would be neat to pump some cave full of heavier-than-air gas and then detonate it. Nice way to clean out monsters.

It doesn't, but if that's all you want you can just simulate it with a breathable liquid that you pass through with normal air physics, make it invisible or whatever if you want.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mutata posted:

It's only the random object quests that bother me. Because you are completely at the mercy of the RNG in normal gameplay. I got lucky and had everything but the Prison sign for the latest batch gating ship size (okay I also cheated myself a codex). But even then, with all the avian, floran, and Glitch areas I had passed through has basically ONE instance of the item I needed for progress. I beat all the bosses with only the first ship size upgrade.

If they gave you some coordinates or something for where to find completly random scenery items, that would be cool. You'd still have to travel and go get it but hey at least it's not down to blind luck, even if you knew what star/planet types would even spawn such things.

I do think the "Make a full set of Armor before I give you mission" one becomes a bit iffy once you hit Aegisalt and such. You have three kinds of armor of the same tier now, what if you wanted to mix and match? Or does mix and match work?

RE: Miner chat. Flashlight functionality baked into the manipulator from the start would be great, if possible.

Make drills just loving bonkers in dig speed, if you are able to remove the fact they break. How fast do you dig with a diamond drill? As fast as the cursor can reach poo poo (WARNING: Do not use your diamond doom drill near children, the elderly, or containers. Do not attempt to stop with hands or genitals)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 10, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

XboxPants posted:

It doesn't, but if that's all you want you can just simulate it with a breathable liquid that you pass through with normal air physics, make it invisible or whatever if you want.

Thats actually a loving excellent idea

Also everything Mutata posted.

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Hexxus

Hexxus shall be my Ship AI.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/ferngully/images/0/07/The_Leveler.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130627025712

This shall be my steed.

Hail Satan.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

XboxPants posted:

17 dollars for a shirt! It's more than I paid for the game.

I bet the shirts aren't done either, and they will mail you 2 inches of thread every couple of months. :smuggo:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jesus christ

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Eonwe posted:

jesus christ

I require a full focus plan by tomorrow.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Eonwe posted:

jesus christ

Ahahaha, no fun allowed, everyone must be working on the game, even the people who don't program.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
are people in this thread really getting mad at a guy getting mad at the starbound devs for something stupid?

really?

really?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Eonwe posted:

jesus christ

We poo poo on this game a lot but holy poo poo we're actually less dickish to the devs than the fans.

Time to step up our game, people.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

nutranurse posted:

are people in this thread really getting mad at a guy getting mad at the starbound devs for something stupid?

really?

really?

You're the only one getting mad in this thread

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
please be nice to each other in this thread, this is a warm and welcoming community of gamers!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

please be nice to each other in this thread, this is a warm and welcoming community of lamers!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
gaymers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lemurs.

• Locked thread