Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Guys, obvious mcmagic bait is obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rimusutera posted:

Guys, obvious mcmagic bait is obvious.

Don't you tell me how to live my life. :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, the card that comes out infinity turns into the game is more annoying than the Rhino or Roc.

If they got to Ugin you lost 2+ turns ago McMagic, him being dropped is a formality.

That wasn't the case before he was printed though.

Count Bleck posted:

Ugin isn't the thing that lost you the game, it's just the thing that's killing you.

This would be true if there was a good UB Control finisher in the pre-Ugin standard. There wasn't. It's especially not true for decks that ramp into Ugin on T5 or 6.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, the card that comes out infinity turns into the game is more annoying than the Rhino or Roc.

If they got to Ugin you lost 2+ turns ago McMagic, him being dropped is a formality.

This is the point when an opponent should concede to the control player but won't and say it was the control player's fault when the game took too long with the 3 damage pings. Especially against Abzan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cernunnos posted:

In fact they already do.

The insert has a decklist for both of the individual decks on one side and a list for the proposed combined deck on the other.

I actually have both of them but I never really looked at the materials inside.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

That wasn't the case before he was printed though.

This would be true if there was a good UB Control finisher in the pre-Ugin standard. There wasn't. It's especially not true for decks that ramp into Ugin on T5 or 6.

It turns out formats change when new cards get printed, I guess???

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

The funniest part is when he gets mad after you call him out on his nonsense. They should give mcmagic a special pro tour invite but mic him up. It'd be the best event.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

The funniest part is when he gets mad after you call him out on his nonsense. They should give mcmagic a special pro tour invite but mic him up. It'd be the best event.

He declines invites to tournaments in his honor though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

Right. A new card that made an annoying deck to play against much better. Just like I said.

jassi007 posted:

It seems like you're much more mad than I am since you take the time out of your day to post an assholeish, poo poo post response to literally every post I make.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Right. A new card that made an annoying deck to play against much better. Just like I said.

It seems like you're much more mad than I am since you take the time out of your day to post an assholeish, poo poo post response to literally every post I make.

Literally half the thread must be furious then

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
We're all mad - we pay hundreds of dollars for cardboard to play with our need friends. We need to be committed for our own safety.

Seriously though please don't play the "who's more mad" game. You both have terrible opinions.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
To jassi's defense he plays good decks in modern and recognizes that arcbound ravager is a good card.

Can we get the mcmagic review on arcbound ravager's viability as a card?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
ITT: angry_birds_wingmate_roc_token.jpg

(According to Google this doesn't actually exist, it should. :smith:)

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 10, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rimusutera posted:

ITT: angry_birds_wingmate_roc_token.jpg

(According to Google this doesn't actually exist, it should. :smith:)

Only if you have the appropriate lovely alter for the actual Roc.

On the subject of alters, does anybody know where one could acquire a good quality commission? I really want to get Norin the Wary without Norin in the actual art.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Does that exist? I couldn't find it either but could have sworn I've seen it before.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

This is the point when an opponent should concede to the control player but won't and say it was the control player's fault when the game took too long with the 3 damage pings. Especially against Abzan.

Current control is so light on finishers and Ugin is killed by the most popular removal spell in the format that the game could still easily go either direction. If you can't kill Ugin the following turn and they get to have counter mana open, then yeah, probably, but landing Ugin is not an automatic game ender.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
We're back to the smug circle jerk session where we pile-on mcmagic yet again? :rolleyes:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

We're back to the smug circle jerk session where we pile-on mcmagic yet again? :rolleyes:

It'll be your turn in a month, be patient

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Current control is so light on finishers and Ugin is killed by the most popular removal spell in the format that the game could still easily go either direction. If you can't kill Ugin the following turn and they get to have counter mana open, then yeah, probably, but landing Ugin is not an automatic game ender.

PLA is still an inevitable thing, and you are probably not going to have a hand when Ugin drops.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

He hasn't stopped posting (bad posts) so

TheKingofSprings posted:

PLA is still an inevitable thing, and you are probably not going to have a hand when Ugin drops.

How was PLA not a control finisher? It's no aetherling but it's a fatty that self protects and that is classic control finisher material. As an added bonus it has flash.

I mean like, Ugin owns but it's not like U/B wasn't able to finish games before.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 10, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

And not a single sorin pun, poo poo be lame :(

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mcmagic is a troll, Angry Grimace has wrong opinions, Zoness is a pedant and I'm the worst person ever because I play UW control in every format I can with lands in front facing my opponent.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Would an enchantment that gives your creature cards Raid DASH for their mana cost be cool or maybe too good? I think it could maybe work if the cost is unsplashable, like 1RRR or something.

e: in Standard, specifically; it'd be busted as gently caress in eternal formats.

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 10, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

redstormpopcorn posted:

Would an enchantment that gives your creature cards Raid for their mana cost be cool or maybe too good? I think it could maybe work if the cost is unsplashable, like 1RRR or something.

uhhh, Raid what? Raid just means if you have attacked this turn do 'X'. What would 'X' be in this example?

Do you mean Dash?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I just moved to the Manassas VA area, are there any game stores I should prefer or avoid?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Madmarker posted:

uhhh, Raid what? Raid just means if you have attacked this turn do 'X'. What would 'X' be in this example?

:cripes: I'm thinking of Dash, jesus christ I need more coffee.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

redstormpopcorn posted:

If it's dash there's an enchantment that gives any creature dash (except it dies instead of bounces) for 3R and R for eternal formats so I don't think it would be playable.

For standard it seems interesting at least, you're still paying the cost of the creature, it would make goblin shortcutters really strong but I think such an effect could be fairly costed.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 10, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

He hasn't stopped posting (bad posts) so

How was PLA not a control finisher? It's no aetherling but it's a fatty that self protects and that is classic control finisher material. As an added bonus it has flash.

I mean like, Ugin owns but it's not like U/B wasn't able to finish games before.

Where did I say it was bad or not a control finisher? It's an inevitable card.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

redstormpopcorn posted:

Ah well, in that case, it wouldn't be busted at all. Hell you could probably print it at 1R or as Zones said R and it would be fine.

Though I would love a Snapcaster Mage with Dash.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
If you can deal with Ugin when he lands, then sure the game can swing still. Of course the same was true of Pearl Lake, it however has the built in ability to dodge Hero's Downfall.

This is why mcmagic's opinion is bad. Can we stop arguing about it now?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

redstormpopcorn posted:

e: in Standard, specifically; it'd be busted as gently caress in eternal formats.

I dash Emrakul for 15

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Where did I say it was bad or not a control finisher? It's an inevitable card.

I wasn't disagreeing with you though - it was a follow up the point that at that mana cost the control deck has winning options and it's not necessarily ugin that needs to do the winning.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rimusutera posted:

If you can deal with Ugin when he lands, then sure the game can swing still. Of course the same was true of Pearl Lake, it however has the built in ability to dodge Hero's Downfall.

This is why mcmagic's opinion is bad. Can we stop arguing about it now?

LOL @ someone comparing the power levels of Pearl Lake and Ugin calling MY opinion bad.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Madmarker posted:

Ah well, in that case, it wouldn't be busted at all. Hell you could probably print it at 1R or as Zones said R and it would be fine.

Though I would love a Snapcaster Mage with Dash.

I'm probably overvaluing pain-in-the-rear end ETB effects beyond Standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ someone comparing the power levels of Pearl Lake and Ugin calling MY opinion bad.

Yeah those loser nerds comparing the power level of Elspeth and Aetherling, such plebeians :smug:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

redstormpopcorn posted:

It's just that in legacy sneak attack already exists.

If you pay full cost for a creature most of the time you'd rather that creature stay in play, although it depends whether or not a creature is more of a creature with a spell attached (siege rhino) or a spell with a creature attached (goblin shortcutter kinda, snapcaster mage). Dash is generally more valuable on the latter.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

mcmagic posted:

I mean, if all you have is a LOL rather than an actual response...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

redstormpopcorn posted:

Not quite. You are undervaluing how much of a loss a card is when it doesn't necessarily do anything. That card really doesn't do anything super-special. It doesn't impact the board the turn it is played and does not act as a threat on its own. It is only as good as the card you are dashing, and that can be really good, but every time you dash you are neglecting your own board position. Now, there are cards that it would be silly with, namely Thragtusk, but what of all the times its in your deck without the good dash creature. Or all the times the creature gets countered, or where they have a large blocker on the field so you lose out on the benefit of haste?

Now it would most assuredly be busted if it was something like Anger, where it had its effect while in the graveyard, but thats another matter entirely.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Okay, in the perfect scenario where they've drawn and played and managed to keep their PLA on the board and they follow it up with an Ugin and you are topdecking, yes, that is game. There are just about a million scenarios where that's not going to be the case. The only deck that should be making GBS threads its entire hand against a deck that might feasibly be playing Ugin (and probably other board wipes too) is all-in red aggro that has to win by turn 4 or 5 at the latest anyway. The most popular deck in the format is a midrange deck that plays Hero's Downfall.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah those loser nerds comparing the power level of Elspeth and Aetherling, such plebeians :smug:

PLA isn't CLOSE to either Elspeth or Aetherling as a finisher. Also there was no UB Control deck (the deck I was talking about) in the same standard as Aetherling and it can't cast Elspeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

redstormpopcorn posted:

Would an enchantment that gives your creature cards Raid DASH for their mana cost be cool or maybe too good? I think it could maybe work if the cost is unsplashable, like 1RRR or something.

I can just picture the wailing and gnashing of teeth over Siege Rhino with Dash.

• Locked thread