Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Frostwerks posted:

Really? That's the only way you can enjoy her screen time?

Well the other reason goes without saying :pervert:!

Though I am glad they are finally clothing her, as it was a little silly that she's been running around with a dirty corset for the past 3 weeks.

E: Top of page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dirty Corset is the name of my Swedish metal band.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This seasons metaplot of "Cleaning up the mess" has grown on me. The heros don't just get to live happily ever after, and they don't get to ride off into the sunset to find the next Big Threat. Ending the apocalypse at the last possible second had consequences, and they have a mess to clean up.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

Dirty Corset is the name of my Swedish metal band.

Katia Winter is Swedish and could be in that band. In her dirty corset.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

BrianWilly posted:

Well it's one thing for her to be a naturally untrustworthy person and I actually liked it when that sort of thing caused a legitimate rift between her and Ichabod earlier this season, but just going all out and making Ichabod's wife an evil witch giving in to dark magic (because she's just...intrinsically...prone...to the dark side...or something...?) feels icky to me.

I just read it as, she has never really used that stuff before, and when she confronts Solomon, she realizes he can and the temptation to use it again is really strong because the dark side of the force is easier, etc.

I admit if I suddenly found a much easier way of doing everything it would be really tempting even if I knew I shouldn't. And I'm not even trying to stop an apocalypse.

But yeah, it does sort of feel like the writers are trying to move her away from Ichabod and can't think of any other way to do that than to make her evil. I don't like that convention, it seems lazy and a disservice to the characters. But this episode did have a theme of people going bad because they chose to accomplish their goals the wrong way.

Whatever happened with Irving seems like it's been in the works for a while, but it appeared out of nowhere. Last time he interacted with Henry he was decidedly against having anything to do with him, but then he just meets up with him like they're old friends. It doesn't seem like he's under Henry's control, but he's not the same person as before. So something happened but what? Is this the real Irving?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Croisquessein posted:

I just read it as, she has never really used that stuff before, and when she confronts Solomon, she realizes he can and the temptation to use it again is really strong because the dark side of the force is easier, etc.

I admit if I suddenly found a much easier way of doing everything it would be really tempting even if I knew I shouldn't. And I'm not even trying to stop an apocalypse.

But yeah, it does sort of feel like the writers are trying to move her away from Ichabod and can't think of any other way to do that than to make her evil. I don't like that convention, it seems lazy and a disservice to the characters. But this episode did have a theme of people going bad because they chose to accomplish their goals the wrong way.

Whatever happened with Irving seems like it's been in the works for a while, but it appeared out of nowhere. Last time he interacted with Henry he was decidedly against having anything to do with him, but then he just meets up with him like they're old friends. It doesn't seem like he's under Henry's control, but he's not the same person as before. So something happened but what? Is this the real Irving?

He is under Irving's control, he simply doesn't realise it. The best slaves are the ones who think they're free.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
While Katrina hasn't been outright evil, she has been morally ambiguous and not outright good from the start. Her coven of good witches killed her for not being purely good, she killed an old friend of Crane's out of jealousy, she lied about said murder, she used admittedly dark magic to unbind or whatever the spirit of the girl she murdered which did help save the day, but also helped cover up the murder, she more or less had an affair with Crane while she was involved with Abraham, and she's continued to lie to everyone. I assumed she'd emerge as the big bad ever since the apocalypse was diverted and Orion never got established.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 5, 2015

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Yeah I've been seeing her as either shady or criminally inept at her job from day one. Every request the gang makes of her ends up with either "Oh I can't do that anymore" or "Ok but it will take a while to complete, even though the demons are beating down the doors as we speak." Its more interesting to assume she's hiding something intentionally.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

but at this point it's as if the audience is being led to think "Ha ha that lying [insert female-specific derogatory term] is getting what's coming to her"

:rolleyes:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Boru posted:

Yeah I've been seeing her as either shady or criminally inept at her job from day one. Every request the gang makes of her ends up with either "Oh I can't do that anymore" or "Ok but it will take a while to complete, even though the demons are beating down the doors as we speak." Its more interesting to assume she's hiding something intentionally.

She's been in Purgatory for 200 years, I think? I don't follow this show that hard. If that's the case, I'm sure 200 years in that hosed up place made her a different person, I feel it'd be bad writing if she WASN'T changed.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
This season is not good, and it can't all be blamed on Hawley and Katrina.

There have been several scenes with atrocious dialogue between Ichabod and Abbie, as well as contrived seemingly out of no-where tension between them. And also between Ichabod and Katrina, and Ichabod and Irving, and Irving and Abbie... urgh, the show lost its charm and appeal somewhere during the train-wreck that was the lead up to Moloch being destroyed because a 200 year old has daddy issues.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I've been to Katia Winter's Twitter page. By what I read there she is both adorable and hilarious. I think the show would be massively improved if it killed off Katrina and replaced her with "Katerina Gundervoot"(or some other Swedish-style name), a Swedish occult expert and novice witch who thinks she's the reincarnation of Katrina Crane, her long-dead distant relative.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
New episode starts in 12 minutes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Instant-gram

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey its Jones!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WHAT.

Edit: It's loving Jefferson.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 10, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holographic Jefferson, cool.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He's totally lying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Remember the pilot?

Remember Headless with a shotgun?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They couldn't have taken a few books out? Or were they all holograms?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ichabod cracked the Liberty Bell. I thought it was the gang at Paddy's.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wizards going to take over the world.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Holographic simulated Thomas Jefferson is BAAAAACK

Man, why'd they have to blow up Jefferson like that. He coulda been an advisor. :(

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'm sure it was intended to be written some other way? but it seemed weird that they got the workers out without messing the place up and their first option (given they didn't say there were other ways out, once the seal is broken it can't be re-sealed or whatever) was that they didn't just lock the place up and come back later with back up and clean the place up with bigger guns and strobe lights or something.

Or why they didn't take any of the books, even if they couldn't save it all. I'd take a few stories where they root through the books to find/retrieve cool artifacts or something related to witness-ing rather than waiting for a monster of a week to place Sleepy Hollow population control.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Sober posted:

I'm sure it was intended to be written some other way? but it seemed weird that they got the workers out without messing the place up and their first option (given they didn't say there were other ways out, once the seal is broken it can't be re-sealed or whatever) was that they didn't just lock the place up and come back later with back up and clean the place up with bigger guns and strobe lights or something.

Or why they didn't take any of the books, even if they couldn't save it all. I'd take a few stories where they root through the books to find/retrieve cool artifacts or something related to witness-ing rather than waiting for a monster of a week to place Sleepy Hollow population control.

It's possible the books themselves were holographic - you'll note the hologram was able to pick up both that chest, and books from the shelf, despite not being solid - Crane passed his hand through him.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Lord Bude posted:

It's possible the books themselves were holographic - you'll note the hologram was able to pick up both that chest, and books from the shelf, despite not being solid - Crane passed his hand through him.
Except Holo-Jefferson picked up the book and Crane grabbed the book from him.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sober posted:

Except Holo-Jefferson picked up the book and Crane grabbed the book from him.

Forcefields? Could be the place is one giant witchcraft powered holodeck.

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
That was a pretty cool episode, I really didn't want them to blow up the library Jefferson made,I feel they could've taken care of the monsters things without bombing the entire place with something other weapons or something,get a few more dudes,get a flame thrower or some machine guns or some poo poo,don't just blow up an awesome place full of useful books dipshits.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
Stupid to blow up the place. They seemed to be doing al-right with a pistol and a crossbow.
Why didn't they just come back later with better weapons?

Kinda over this show :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure how Ichabod and Abbie were supposed to use that place what with zombies running around everywhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarrgh posted:

Stupid to blow up the place. They seemed to be doing al-right with a pistol and a crossbow.
Why didn't they just come back later with better weapons?

Kinda over this show :(

Or swords even. They're basically up against zombies. It couldn't possibly have been that hard to clear the place, then they'd have had a sweet base with holofoundingfather accessory. Hell they could have brought katrina in to fireball them, or at least conjure up some bright lights to dazzle them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I understand why they couldn't keep Jefferson's holodeck -- it had too many answers, and that's not how the show operates -- but I hate that kind of story in general.

Good Irving/Bad Irving was interesting if only because it explained the reflection.

And John Noble is just a fabulous actor. The way he was looming over Katrina with that grin was masterful. All he wants is his mommy's approval.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They wouldn't be able to go back in and kill all the Reavers with better weapons cause getting those guys out of their would get the police involved.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

mr.capps posted:

They wouldn't be able to go back in and kill all the Reavers with better weapons cause getting those guys out of their would get the police involved.

I understand that for these kinds of stories, it's "the hero's fight" and outside authorities shouldn't be a part of it. But how bad would that be, really?

"There's some hosed up poo poo going on, and here's proof, so help us out," doesn't seem so terrible. More red tape, but probably preferable to 2 people and their immediate friends and family trying to fight an army by themselves.

The usual fear that the heroes would look insane is less relevant, since there are literal monsters that are observable. You can actually see the headless man walking around, or the deformed demon ninjas or corpse guards or whatever. They just exist, objectively.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wow, this was an awful episode and it really exemplified how the show has gone off the rails. It was like the episode was a mission statement all about how they were just going to spin the wheels indefinitely.

Here's a magic library with all the answers to questions so banal that viewers have given up caring about it. If it stuck around in the narrative it would be indistinguishable from the existing archives other than the addition of the Emergency Holographic Founding Father, but it must be destroyed to preserve the status quo. Never mind that they can't even come up with a reasonable excuse to do this; if it was damaged in the rescue it would still be annoying but they were out and safe and just decided, "Hey, we have to set things back to how they were at the start of the episode."

But then there's the whole coda at the end about how people shouldn't know about extremely dangerous public safety issues. Hey, Mills, a man is dead because you two don't bother warning people about easily documented supernatural threats in the city. Maybe if he knew that supernatural things actually existed they would have called you in to deal with it instead of poking around with the seal. That speech about how people didn't need to know about these things was absurdly wrong headed and that reporter should have called her out on it since that's one of the cornerstones of his profession.

If they don't want to deal with the consequences of something in the narrative then the correct answer is to not introduce them in the first place. The actual plot lines that they let develop in this episode would have been better as the focus so they could keep things moving.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm starting to believe the witnesses need a huge improvement in firepower if a bunch of 200 years old starved zombies give them that much trouble.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought it was kinda interesting in the Orion episode where he mentioned how unusual it is for Witnesses to be proactively participating in the war against evil. Because, yeah, it kind of is, isn't it? Because they have no extra powers of any kind that would make them any more suited to fighting the supernatural than anyone else? All they really have is information. In particular, I feel like they've kind of...amplified...Ichabod's obscure occult knowledge base since the beginning of the show where he only kinda barely knew about the supernatural world and only because he had a bunch of smarter friends who knew more than he did.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

I thought it was kinda interesting in the Orion episode where he mentioned how unusual it is for Witnesses to be proactively participating in the war against evil. Because, yeah, it kind of is, isn't it? Because they have no extra powers of any kind that would make them any more suited to fighting the supernatural than anyone else? All they really have is information. In particular, I feel like they've kind of...amplified...Ichabod's obscure occult knowledge base since the beginning of the show where he only kinda barely knew about the supernatural world and only because he had a bunch of smarter friends who knew more than he did.

See, you'd think that would have been a use for an actual expert on the supernatural, like, I dunno, a powerful witch. But I guess not.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The show has hit the peanut butter point where nothing is allowed to change measurably and everyone is kind of stuck in a rut doing the same thing. Can't wait for next episode where they fight a one episode threat while there is a joke or two about the modern world, maybe a reference to colonial history/the occult, and then 5 minutes of Henry is bad/Irving is conflicted/Ichabod and Abbie have to make sacrifices but overcome it emotionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I feel that in the first season, this show would have had the balls to keep the library and use it as a big new plot device to take the show in a new direction.

For a second, that's what I hoped would happen :sigh:

• Locked thread