Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

I've sat in there. They made us do it. One guy who refused to laugh was told he'd be asked to leave.

haha what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I know everyone here hates Maher's show but has anyone noticed how bad his audiences are? Like, total hamster-pedal "he brought up something bad" stuff AND there are some conspicuously BIG laughers for some of his clunkers, like maybe that's their job and they need to tone it down a little because it's distracting.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
I love when Bill Maher makes an okay-to-good joke and gets nothing, and then he gets all upset that his audience doesn't understand his genius.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nameless_Steve posted:

I love when Bill Maher makes an okay-to-good joke and gets nothing, and then he gets all upset that his audience doesn't understand his genius.
Actually I do kind of like that about him, in that it's hard for a comic to get away with something like that and sometimes he has a point. Sometimes though yeah it makes his bad joke clunk even harder. Really Bill you thought that was a winner?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nameless_Steve posted:

Haha suffer Bill Maher. That's what you get for doing the comedy equivalent of dumping a bucket of cow organs into a dog kennel.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Bill Maher is kind of an anus regardless of his audience

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I liked him as a host when CC did Politically incorrect. His dickishness worked in that context, and most of the comedians could cut him down when appropriate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

blunt for century posted:

Kind of?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Wasn't Maher the inspiration for the Brian character in Family Guy?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Not as far as I can tell; I can't find anything even hinting that way. As far as I can see he was more of a self-insert for MacFarlane if anything.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Either way, I'm choosing to accept it as fact.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

I mean there's an episode where Brian goes on Real Time and is interviewed by live action Bill Maher and he says Bill is his idol or something buy i don't think he's the actual inspiration for the character or anything

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
OK, you can all exhale now. It's official. The announcement that will define the 2016 Presidential election is finally here.

Bob Corker isn't running.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If you check the early, non terrible seasons, the character of Brian used to be simply the grounded and sane one, before being defined as "liberal douche".

bpower posted:

And the constant "Wooooooooing"? I've seen the audience gently caress up several jokes by bellowing before the punchline landed.

Retakes. He loses his composure suprisingly often.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

blunt for century posted:

It would appear that he's also anti-vax

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Looking at this list, I'm very optimistic about Hillary's chances if she runs because, my God, that's a lovely list of Presidential candidates. I mean, that's really, really bad. The GOP is going to HAVE to nominate Jeb to have a chance, aren't they? Or is there some dark horse candidate I haven't considered yet?

I kind of agree the right has one semi-palatable candidate.

I'd argue the same is true for the left though - if Hillary flames out or breaks a hip or something, who do you run - Biden? Kerry?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I'd argue the same is true for the left though - if Hillary flames out or breaks a hip or something, who do you run - Biden? Kerry?

I'd expect Cuomo to jump in if he thought Hillary wasn't running as he's been positioning himself for a run for years. Biden would run in a heartbeat if Hillary wasn't in - he wants to be President but I think he realizes he's got no shot of beating Hillary.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

I'd expect Cuomo to jump in if he thought Hillary wasn't running as he's been positioning himself for a run for years. Biden would run in a heartbeat if Hillary wasn't in - he wants to be President but I think he realizes he's got no shot of beating Hillary.

Please lord, don't ever let this happen. This would be worse than Dukakis; the Cuomo thing I mean.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

radical meme posted:

Please lord, don't ever let this happen. This would be worse than Dukakis; the Cuomo thing I mean.

Cuomo is pretty widely disliked amongst New York Dems as far as I can tell.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

He's been anti-vax for years (to the point that he seems to legitimately believe that diet and willpower can keep you immune to disease), he's just kept it in check lately because he got some heat for it a few years ago. All this recent stuff with the measles outbreak probably made him feel like he could safely come back out with it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, he's burned a lot of bridges being 'bipartisan'. His antics during the snowstorm where he canceled the subway without telling NYC or the subway itself, only to discover that the subway had to keep running to keep snow off the tracks just without letting anyone on did not help.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I can't think of any group of primary voters that might like him.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, he's burned a lot of bridges being 'bipartisan'. His antics during the snowstorm where he canceled the subway without telling NYC or the subway itself, only to discover that the subway had to keep running to keep snow off the tracks just without letting anyone on did not help.

CaptainCarrot posted:

Yeah this is basically the gist of what I hear; Democrats and Working Families types don't like him because he's sold them out for bipartisan creds, and Republicans hate him anyway because of the D next to his name.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

CaptainCarrot posted:

Like may be a strong word, but maybe ...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Man it's a real shame that Mario Cuomo was a good dude but his sons are so awful.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

evilweasel posted:

And he keeps trying to take money for the new Tappan Zee bridge from tons of places he's got little or no justification taking money from.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

MariusLecter posted:

I always had the sense that he was a Seth McFarland self-insert but I haven't watched that show in a long time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scott Walker's in the news again.

quote:

The American Democracy Legal Fund released a complaint to the Federal Elections Commission saying Walker "is testing the waters for a campaign for president of the United States," and using his 527 political group, Our American Revival, "as his exploratory committee, and in doing so is raising and spending funds that are beyond the contribution limits and source restrictions of the Federal Election Campaign Act."

Citing press reports, the complaint says Walker's group received at least two donations of $25,000 and $100,000. Individual contributions to an exploratory committee are limited to $2,700, the complaint states.

Kirsten Kukowski, a spokeswoman for Our American Revival, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the complaint.

Earlier in the day Kukowski confirmed that the group has leased an office in Iowa, which, as the Des Moines Register first reported, makes Walker the first of the potential 2016 presidential field to open an office in the state.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

amanasleep posted:

I mean, it's not a conspiracy. Warren didn't want to run, but that doesn't mean that she didn't use party base enthusiasm for her candidacy as a bargaining chip to get a better position in the Senate. It also doesn't mean that putting her in that position didn't have any other benefit to the Dem establishment besides foreclosing a presidential bid.

It also doesn't mean that she won't be pushing Hillary to the left, or that centrist establishment Dems won't try to convince her not to do that.

The Senate powers that be didn't do it to stop her from running. They were never worried she was going to, because it was never going to happen. It wasn't an ancillary benefit - it didn't even enter into the decision.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The guy who's cutting $300 million from universities in Wisconsin and spending $250,000 on studying the health risks of wind turbines? Misappropriating funds?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The emails from Jeb's time as governor that he released to promote his campaign include people's Social Security numbers and other personal information. :waycool:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MariusLecter posted:

The character of Brian actually predates Family Guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaYtNtthcpQ

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jon Stewart for president?

Just announced his retirement from The Daily Show.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think he got really depressed when Colbert left. I could see it in his eyes

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

EugeneJ posted:

Jon Stewart for president?

Just announced his retirement from The Daily Show.

Awww gently caress, seriously? drat, not even American and I love that show. :(

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

The character of Brian actually predates Family Guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaYtNtthcpQ

Oh wow, he goes all the way back to... the Family Guy pilot. Seriously, it might have a different name but thats what you posted, it even shares a lot of the same cutaways as the first official episode (drive-by arguments, etc.)

quote:

O'Malley? Jim Webb? They aren't awful candidates, just in a cycle where Hillary has sucked up so much support. Hell, you could probably come up with fifty sitting or former senators and governors who would be "palatable." Most of them wouldn't want to jump in the race but if Hillary leaves someone is going to go in there to be the status quo candidate.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'd like to think that tonight a few prospective candidates are out there thinking to themselves, "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, No More Jon Stewart, Can't Lose"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh wow, he goes all the way back to... the Family Guy pilot. Seriously, it might have a different name but thats what you posted, it even shares a lot of the same cutaways as the first official episode (drive-by arguments, etc.)

It was a completely different concept, and meant to be targeted at preteen audience. The only thing in common are the voices and having a talking dog and a stupid man (neither of which are unusual concepts in cartoons).

That ol Sethy later recycled bits from it in his actual Family Guy pilot just shows he's a bit lazy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'd like to think that tonight a few prospective candidates are out there thinking to themselves, "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, No More Jon Stewart, Can't Lose"

They've got John Oliver instead. Not sure they should be counting their blessings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

They've got John Oliver instead. Not sure they should be counting their blessings.

Truth. John Oliver called FCC chairman Tom Wheeler a dingo.

Tom Wheeler then lowered the Title II boom on telecoms and their prophet Something Awful Forums Poster Kalman.

• Locked thread