Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

BonHair posted:

I decided to check out The Dice Tower, and I hate these guys. I also disagree with them a lot. Their main arguments seem to be "fun", "theme" and "flavour". And that's mostly it. They never try to analyse what happens in a game, how the mechanics work or anything that would be helpful, except "they like it".
Have they done anything that is sensible and/or worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Tom Vasel has always been poo poo and he's also one of those gross Quiverfull people that pumps out a baby every year in order to outbreed athiests and agnotics with his indoctrinated spawn.

He's really really disgusting, bad for the hobby, and a bad person to boot.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 10, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
There really isn't a need for ad hominem attacks against them. They are really bad on their own. Maybe you can retheme Caverna as some sort of missionary/cultural brainwashing worker placement game and see how they review it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Isn't that what Stone Age is? E: Ok well you'd have to re-theme the technology cards.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

sonatinas posted:

There really isn't a need for ad hominem attacks against them. They are really bad on their own. Maybe you can retheme Caverna as some sort of missionary/cultural brainwashing worker placement game and see how they review it.

They like Caverna. Tom likes it because he thinks its a more thematic Agricola and Sam likes it because he can pretend to be a dwarf. No idea bout Zee.

Also, where are you guys finding out he's quiverfull? I mean I wouldn't be surprised, but other than Sam's horrible shirts I never see them really ram to much religion down people's throats in their reviews. Like they mention if its a good game for Youth Group or for a Class, but that isn't really the same thing.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oof. Which cards are ugly? I don't know if I'm ready to do a visual redesign again. I don't think I have the time or patience.

Zombie #246 posted:

Hey BL you had mentioned previously that some of the designs in Space Alert were fixed by things you had implemented in Final Attack, could you expand on that?

The bullet points of Space Alert that I tackled were:
  • In Space Alert, beginner players do not have any guidelines of what to do. In Final Attack! each player gets a K-Machine with a unique role, which reduces some of the early panic attacks of first-time players.
  • In Space Alert, the game has a long real-time period followed by a longer resolution period. In Final Attack! the resolution periods are shorter and more interactive, and as such don't feel like so out of control.
  • In Space Alert, you find out you lost the game well after you actually lost the game, and I mean literally as opposed to a delayed spiral of sorts. In Final Attack! game loss is instant and clear.
  • In Space Alert, it's possible for a player to not contribute anything to a mission. In Final Attack, all players have a minimum participation requirement (get 5 Will, combine, and then use the Final Attack).
  • In Space Alert, the game kind of ends on a wet fart after a long resolution with no fanfare. In Final Attack, the game ends in a real-time segment with a combined shout.

There's a lot of other things I can say were improvements to the formula, but Space Alert wasn't on the mind at those points (things like the Robeast Enemy IDs were simply "how can I make a tabletop game that's impossible to play outside of a tabletop environment?") any more than other games were.

I absolutely love Space Alert and it's one of my favorite things. As I used to say, "It [was] the most fun you could have with a table that doesn't involve cake or lubricant." In fact, SA's comedy comes across better than FA!'s comedy does, which is a result of SA having more flexibility within its theme. I could do some really lengthy design posts about the two once I get some free time.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I like boardgames and all but I can't understand how anyone could watch an hour+ unscripted video of top ten lists, no matter how well put together it was.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Aston posted:

I like boardgames and all but I can't understand how anyone could watch an hour+ unscripted video of top ten lists, no matter how well put together it was.

Eh, after you play enough strategy games, an hour is the same as 3 minutes.

But their top tens are horrible.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

But their top tens are horrible.

Yes, they really truly are. Mostly I find them really strange in that, after all that time playing board games, you'd think they'd start to see some sort of patterns in the games they play, and develop some way of talking about those patterns. At the lowest level, you'd think they'd at least see that in new game B you do the same kinds of things as you did in game A. But they don't even do that: when they do compare games, it's at a hopelessly superficial level like "this game has a similar name or theme to this one" or "both games have cards?!?" or "it's fun".

I find this bewildering; it's like when we have someone experienced apply for a programming job, and when we do the programming challenge it appears they've never programmed before. Even just little things, like they can't find the plus key on a keyboard, and are mystified by what an empty project looks like in their supposed language/editor of choice. Well, and the fact that they can't program... But even if you're a moron and you're not interested, wouldn't you pick up something related to your job over the years, just by accident? If I found myself in a plumbing job it'd be rough for a while, but if I somehow kept at it eventually I'd be able to do routine stuff just by trial and error, and because just doing it would be easier than trying to fake it somehow.

I don't think a reviewer needs to be an expert on game design theory or something, but, again, wouldn't a normal person be expected to intuit some, after years and years and hundreds of games?

My suspicion? First: they're not bright. Second: they don't actually play that many games - they make videos and go to conventions and read rules and whatever, but they're not playing games with any regularity (or at least any variety). VV: Yeah, sure, that didn't really come out how I meant it - what I meant to say is something like "they don't play games for the sake of playing games", which would be how they'd actually get good at games, learn how they work, etc..

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 10, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jmzero posted:

Second: they don't actually play that many games - they make videos and go to conventions and read rules and whatever, but they're not playing games with any regularity (or at least any variety).

I kind of suspect it might be the opposite. Like, the play a poo poo load of games exactly one time, so everything they say about it is limited to the kind of superficial bullshit you can actually deduce from a single play.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EvilChameleon posted:

What's the goonpinion on Euphoria? There is a guy who brings it to board games night every week and the visuals are very compelling but there's just so many dice. What else is new and cool? I feel like I should buy something new but I don't know what has come out lately besides a few things (King of New York, Castles of Mad King Ludwig).

It looks like so many dice in so many colors but those are actually your workers. You will take four of one color and start with two, and place them on the board like you would place workers.

Euphoria is a pretty neat twist on the worker placement game for two reasons: first, it's a worker placement game where people hardly ever block each other. There are large production areas that can hold any number of dice, and most of the single spaces are open placement - you just bump a worker back into its owner's hand, which can be an advantage for them since they don't have to spend an action recalling. The only real blocking takes place when building markets - if you don't get there in time, the market goes up without you, and people can block others from building one if they lack certain materials.

Second, your workers rebel. You need to keep morale up or they won't let you hoard the artifacts you need to buy influence all over the map. You need to keep knowledge down - certain abilities can bump it up, in addition to the more generous production conditions. If you roll the dice and have unused dice plus total knowledge equal to 16 or more, your smartest worker realizes what's really going on and deserts. You can bump someone's workers back in an attempt to get them to trigger this, or to try and get them to lose resources if you've built a market that steals them on a certain die roll.

Honestly I'd at least give it a play unless the guy is rubbish at explaining games.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Euphoria is ok, but it really benefits from five or six players. You can either place or scoop workers, and with more players you start getting more bumping and things. In smaller games a few of the characters are pretty unbalanced.

Edit- what's that game people said is like knife fighting with meeples? Cuthroat worker placement that isn't Dominant Species. I know it's getting a new print run this year and I want to check it out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nevvy Z posted:

Euphoria is ok, but it really benefits from five or six players. You can either place or scoop workers, and with more players you start getting more bumping and things. In smaller games a few of the characters are pretty unbalanced.

Edit- what's that game people said is like knife fighting with meeples? Cuthroat worker placement that isn't Dominant Species. I know it's getting a new print run this year and I want to check it out.

Keyflower?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Keyflower?

Thank you! I was looking for it at a store the other day while flush with tax refund and totally blanked on the name.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Thank you! I was looking for it at a store the other day while flush with tax refund and totally blanked on the name.

Please don't have anything sharp or heavy on the table when you play it. If you do there's a 50/50 chance someone will end up dead mid way through the game

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Please don't have anything sharp or heavy on the table when you play it. If you do there's a 50/50 chance someone will end up dead mid way through the game

Put the knife as part of the final round's bidding.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

GrandpaPants posted:

Put the knife as part of the final round's bidding.

Be sure to be going first with many green meeples.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone sourced decent metal coins for modern/fantasy/old european games?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not sure if you can get them on their own anymore, but the Viticulture metal coins are pretty good, come in 1, 2, and 5 "Lira" increments. Lira is a pretty generic currency symbol so it sort of looks like dollars and pounds and Euros all at the same time, which is nice.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The Viticulture metal coins are big and feel really good to use. I really recommend them if you don't mind them being not quite as cool. The ones that came with Fief, that don't seem to be available anymore but I think came from Conquistador Games, are smaller and aren't as good to handle, but are way cooler.

I use the Viticulture ones most of the time just because of the size.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Not sure if you can get them on their own anymore, but the Viticulture metal coins are pretty good, come in 1, 2, and 5 "Lira" increments. Lira is a pretty generic currency symbol so it sort of looks like dollars and pounds and Euros all at the same time, which is nice.

I just got these last week from Meeplesource. 72 coins for $22. 36 copper 1's, 24 silver 2's, 12 gold 5's. They're big, weighty and nice, though they all have the same design on them which is a minus.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The few times I've played Keyflower it's been generally not too cutthroat. Bidding does ramp up, but the inclusion of the Key Celeste miniexpansion that lets one player lock someone else's bid but get all the meeples from it kind of keeps that down to a reasonable level.

Nobody dropping three meeples on someone else's tile end turn to lock them from it - that's three meeples that could pump up your own endgame conditions after all.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Is Roll for the Galaxy worth picking up if I already have Race for the Galaxy with the first expansion? Race is one of my favorite games and Roll sounds really fun with the dice play and everyone seems to be raving about it. Is it different enough to be worth picking up, or should I just get more Race expansions? I've read Race is a deeper game but I'm looking at it purely from if it does enough different enough to be worth having.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am in the same boat, still can't decide myself.
Also Rahdo just did his videos on RollFTG if that'll help you decide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDOoNy-ZTRM

EBag
May 18, 2006

Yah I listened to it which is why I asked, but it just makes it harder to decide! On the one hand it looks similar (even re-used a lot of the same art?) but it's sometimes hard to get a sense of the feel of the gameplay from a video even though Rahdo probably does it the best of anyone.

If nothing else I like the sound of combining trade/ship and the order of producing before shipping.

EBag fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 10, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

EBag posted:

Is Roll for the Galaxy worth picking up if I already have Race for the Galaxy with the first expansion? Race is one of my favorite games and Roll sounds really fun with the dice play and everyone seems to be raving about it. Is it different enough to be worth picking up, or should I just get more Race expansions? I've read Race is a deeper game but I'm looking at it purely from if it does enough different enough to be worth having.

Roll is great because I can get people to play it. Race is a better game though.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You probably won't see a better price/quality ratio than those Viticulture coins, but I got a bunch of different styles from these guys in a Kickstarter they ran last year. I particularly like their "fire" line for a generic fantasy coin.
The only downside for some games is that none of the coins have denominations, aside from the doofy-looking steampunk set.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

EBag posted:

Roll is really good, check out my post on the game if you want an opinion on it from the perspective of someone who's played a large amount of Race. I think both have a place in a collection, personally.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Drive Thru Reviews also has a review up now:
http://drivethruvideos.com/roll-for-the-galaxy-review/

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You can get decent metal coins from any bank, 100 of them for only a dollar.

Switch up the country if you want something people don't immediately identify as real currency. Get a mix of British coins if you live in the US.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

bobvonunheil posted:

But then your hands smell like pennies... :barf:

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014

Broken Loose posted:

Oof. Which cards are ugly? I don't know if I'm ready to do a visual redesign again. I don't think I have the time or patience.

The bullet points of Space Alert that I tackled were:
  • In Space Alert, beginner players do not have any guidelines of what to do. In Final Attack! each player gets a K-Machine with a unique role, which reduces some of the early panic attacks of first-time players.
  • In Space Alert, the game has a long real-time period followed by a longer resolution period. In Final Attack! the resolution periods are shorter and more interactive, and as such don't feel like so out of control.
  • In Space Alert, you find out you lost the game well after you actually lost the game, and I mean literally as opposed to a delayed spiral of sorts. In Final Attack! game loss is instant and clear.
  • In Space Alert, it's possible for a player to not contribute anything to a mission. In Final Attack, all players have a minimum participation requirement (get 5 Will, combine, and then use the Final Attack).
  • In Space Alert, the game kind of ends on a wet fart after a long resolution with no fanfare. In Final Attack, the game ends in a real-time segment with a combined shout.

There's a lot of other things I can say were improvements to the formula, but Space Alert wasn't on the mind at those points (things like the Robeast Enemy IDs were simply "how can I make a tabletop game that's impossible to play outside of a tabletop environment?") any more than other games were.

I absolutely love Space Alert and it's one of my favorite things. As I used to say, "It [was] the most fun you could have with a table that doesn't involve cake or lubricant." In fact, SA's comedy comes across better than FA!'s comedy does, which is a result of SA having more flexibility within its theme. I could do some really lengthy design posts about the two once I get some free time.

Take my money, my play group are big fans of Space Alert and (my finacee and one friend) of Super Robots, this is the game for us.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

djfooboo posted:

But then your hands smell like pennies... :barf:

Then spray them with sealant or something? Is penny smell actually an issue?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Penny smell is terrible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bobvonunheil posted:

Switch up the country if you want something people don't immediately identify as real currency. Get a mix of British coins if you live in the US.
Six rolls of pennies ($.50 each) and a roll of nickels ($2 each) will run you exactly $5, and will be enough for just about any game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just use clay poker chips. v:shobon:v

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm sure Viticulture coins (as those are the ones I'm familiar with) are cheap pot metal, but they feel heavier/denser/"better" than standard American coinage and also have a much more satisfying "plink" sound when you drop one into a pile.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

lol if you're too poor to use real gems big enough to hold in your game of splendor.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I like gold dollar coins. Nothing better than a pocket full of gold coins.

(Real money is generally cheaper or equivalent in cost to metal gaming coins. Imagine trading real money for fake money at a 1:1 rate.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My biggest critique with Roll for the Galaxy is that it ends just when people are getting engines. Like, I know it's strong design to end a game before it turns into people just running their engines, but the necessary number of points in Roll needed to end the game seems a bit too low. Which fortunately is easily fixed by simply requiring a few more, but yeah. Has anyone ever seen the game end from the "build 12 things" condition instead of the "exhaust [points based on player count]" one?