Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

chunkles posted:

The west is wide open, they're only one rookie away from making the playoffs for sure

Yeah as soon as someone in the West implodes (and its going to happen), Denver, PHX or NO are going to pounce. Minny has to bide their time.

I do wonder who is going to drop out first. Dallas, Memphis and SAS are the oldest teams, but they are also some of the best run. Morey could swing and miss chasing another free agent, but Harden by himself could probably drag Houston into the playoffs. OKC could lose Durant and Portland could lose Aldridge, Lopez and Matthews, but who knows how likely those things are. And GSW are probably here to stay.

I'm going with LAC as the first good West team to miss the playoffs (assuming OKC gets in this year). They are pretty old, have made some mistakes (Hawes, Dudley, etc), don't have a first round draft pick this year, and I could easily see Rivers trying to do a repeat Celtics Big 3 trade and failing miserably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah as soon as someone in the West implodes (and its going to happen), Denver, PHX or NO are going to pounce.

One of those teams does not belong

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Cool Buff Man posted:

One of those teams does not belong

I still believe in Denver. Give them a coach who isn't openly feuding with his players and a healthy roster and they will be in the mix for the 8th seed. Plus they have the protected Memphis and OKC picks, and a 2016 pick swap with NY.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I still believe in Denver. Give them a coach who isn't openly feuding with his players and a healthy roster and they will be in the mix for the 8th seed. Plus they have the protected Memphis and OKC picks, and a 2016 pick swap with NY.

I just looked at Denver's contracts and was surprised to see the only player they have guarenteed for the 16/17 season is Ty Lawson. (I assume they will use their team option for Jusuf Nurkic.) NBA needs to do away with marijuana testing so Denver can have a free agency advantage.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 10, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was havin' a lil fun looking for games on BBR, since '85 when they started recording FGA, there've been 42 Perfect 10 shooting games in NBA history where someone takes 10 or more shots and hits them all. Malone and Kareem did it twice. Ibaka in 2012 against the Spurs is the only playoff entry.

An article on Payton's 14/14 game -- http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2026&dat=19950105&id=ZbsjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=m9AFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5740,415582
George Karl was pretty cool and let him go in during a 28 point blowout to set the franchise record

And of course it ain't listed there but Wilt holds the real records with a 15/15, a 16/16 and an 18/18

MourningView posted:

Maybe he can get more minutes and start playing well in Minnesota but if not I am never praising a senior NBA Draft prospect ever again. I thought he was going to be perfect for the Hawks but so far it seems like I was overrating him based on him beating up on guys way younger.

What do you mean senior nba draft prospect? Like a 4 year college guy?

Has there been a 4 year player drafted this millennium (excludes Nash and Duncan) who wound up real good other than Damiaen Lillard?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

yes

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
That Mo Williams deal seems kind of bad. Teams like Charlotte and Detroit were more in need of him than the TWoves were in need of letting him, go, might as well use that leverage to try and get some better assets out of it, particularly if they were willing to part with one of their 1st round picks in the deal instead of using it on the Payne deal.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I dunno man their defense is real bad (8th worst DRtng) and I'm not sure they got the roster to shore it up even with a replacement coach. Nurkic isn't that good yet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Max Awfuls posted:

That Mo Williams deal seems kind of bad. Teams like Charlotte and Detroit were more in need of him than the TWoves were in need of letting him, go, might as well use that leverage to try and get some better assets out of it, particularly if they were willing to part with one of their 1st round picks in the deal instead of using it on the Payne deal.

Neither of those teams were going to give a first rounder for Mo Williams rental. He only has a 1 year deal so you don't even have bird rights to resign him if he plays well.

I agree I am not in love with this trade, but I think your expectations of what you can get for 30 games of Mo Williams might be off.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

EvanTH posted:

I was havin' a lil fun looking for games on BBR, since '85 when they started recording FGA, there've been 42 Perfect 10 shooting games in NBA history where someone takes 10 or more shots and hits them all. Malone and Kareem did it twice. Ibaka in 2012 against the Spurs is the only playoff entry.

An article on Payton's 14/14 game -- http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2026&dat=19950105&id=ZbsjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=m9AFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5740,415582
George Karl was pretty cool and let him go in during a 28 point blowout to set the franchise record

And of course it ain't listed there but Wilt holds the real records with a 15/15, a 16/16 and an 18/18

Has there been a 4 year player drafted this millennium (excludes Nash and Duncan) who wound up real good other than Damiaen Lillard?

Draymon Green isn't going to be 1st Team NBA good, but he's pretty good. He's probably the best 4 year guy right now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PotatoJudge posted:

Draymon Green isn't going to be 1st Team NBA good, but he's pretty good. He's probably the best 4 year guy right now.

Chandler Parsons, David West, Jeremy Lin, Roy Hibbert, and JJ Redick all went for four years.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Just remembered that Gary Neal used to be good in his limited role with the Spurs. Any chance he could end up with his ex-coach in Atlanta now?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Oo looks like also George Hill too but nobody calls him good no more. And I guess Lin went undrafted so he's a weird aside. Robert Covington is actually looking pretty good too, but again he was undrafted (he and Wes Matthews can have their own category together). I can conclude:

1) Indiana Pacers love to use college basketball players
2) Chandler Parsons and Lillard are the only Pretty Good 4 years drafted in the last five years?

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 10, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

e: just looked it up and Lillard isn't a 4-year guy? Huh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Both the Spurs and Bulls make back-up PGs look like gods at times, but unlike the Bulls PG, Spurs PG always get bigger checks and bigger salary sinkholes after their tenure.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Lillard spent four seasons at Weber St., it's got to be some kinda NCAA thing that I don't understand if he wasn't a senior.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Lillard spent four seasons at Weber St., it's got to be some kinda NCAA thing that I don't understand if he wasn't a senior.

He missed most of his junior year and got a medical redshirt, then exploded in his RS Junior year and went pro.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Libertine posted:

Why would Minnesota ever trade away a future first round pick? They are pretty much always terrible so those picks tend to always be valuable.

It's lottery protected from 2017-2020.

I mean Payne was the 15th pick in a strong draft this season. So it's not a terrible move if there was something they liked in him. On the other hand I'd be skeptical of trading with a team who wants to move the guy they just drafted so quickly for a future asset. That should be a red flag.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They must really like him if they're willing to handcuff their draft picks like that.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
It seems like a fucken terrible deal to me

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Does anyone know why Adreian Payne got barely any playing time for the Hakws? Was it just a case of him being stuck behind veterans or was he struggling as well? In theory, I like acquiring him, because the Wolves lack size up front. I don't remember too much about Payne from the draft, but a bigger PF, who can rebound and play D is definitely a need. Young is more of a SF masquerading as a PF and Deng is frustrating. He'll have some nice games, but he still gets pushed around way too easily and has a tendency to make baffling decisions with the ball in his hands.

As for Mo Williams, I wasn't thrilled with him in his limited time with the Wolves. He's a volume scorer, who looks to pass as a 2nd or 3rd option, he isn't great at running offenses, he's not a great defender, and he loves taking quick jumpers in transition and wasting possessions. He's played better as of late, so it feels like Saunders is selling high on him. It was also nice to see that Taylor got another 2nd pick that he can sell. I really wish that the NBA would ban selling picks, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Dealing Daniels is annoying. I wasn't fond of acquiring him in the 1st place, but it now means that the Wolves got absolutely nothing in return, other than a salary dump, for moving Brewer. I'm also not thrilled about dealing a future 1st round pick, I have nightmares of Marko Jaric whenever they do that.

I'd like to see the Wolves move Martin and/or Pekovic, since Martin doesn't fit long term and is just taking minutes away from Muhammad and Pekovic is hurt all of the time and doesn't offer anything more than a big body on defense. He is a notoriously slow starter and just seems to be coming into his own after being hurt, but I think his contract is unmoveable and trading him would lead to more Deng awkwardly playing C.

At least the Wolves have some young pieces that are developing, but all of the injuries at the beginning of the year hurt, though they did allow for Wiggins to accelerate his development.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

morestuff posted:

They must really like him if they're willing to handcuff their draft picks like that.

Flip Saunders is friends with Tom Izzo, so presumably he would have good information on Payne.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

This week on Joel Embiid fatgate

http://instagram.com/p/yvBNKTTcMS/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OdqsZUqYDk

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
All is not sunshine and roses in Swaggy P's world. :ohdear:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Tae posted:

Both the Spurs and Bulls make back-up PGs look like gods at times, but unlike the Bulls PG, Spurs PG always get bigger checks and bigger salary sinkholes after their tenure.

What in the gently caress are you talking about? How many Spurs PGs have big sinkhole salaries? George Hill is probably overpaid a little bit. And?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Someone photoshop Nick Young into that King of the Hill episode

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
And Tony Parker :twisted:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

chunkles posted:

And Tony Parker :twisted:

Rude, and I'm thinking he doesn't count because he's still with the Spurs.

And I'm letting the dumb Thibs is the PG whisperer or whatever alternate universe plotline slide.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bashez posted:

Rude, and I'm thinking he doesn't count because he's still with the Spurs.

Numbers don't lie

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I will make no argument that Tony Parker hasn't been absolutely terrible. Cory Joseph has been the Spurs best PG and he's the third string.

I'm still holding out hope it's an injury thing he'll get over. He's even been looking good for entire halves before/after being poo poo the other half.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm mostly just piling on, RAPM spits out some weird results.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

morestuff posted:

I'm mostly just piling on, RAPM spits out some weird results.

I like RAPM, for the most part. Tony Parker is losing the Spurs games.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't realize how bad Parker has been this season. Makes me feel a little better about Rose sucking.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Bashez posted:

I will make no argument that Tony Parker hasn't been absolutely terrible. Cory Joseph has been the Spurs best PG and he's the third string.

I'm still holding out hope it's an injury thing he'll get over. He's even been looking good for entire halves before/after being poo poo the other half.

He did miss more than a month with a leg injury and it hasn't fully healed.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Is Dion Waiters showing up at both 443 and 467 for anyone else?

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Is Dion Waiters showing up at both 443 and 467 for anyone else?

it must be split by teams, lance thomas is on that page twice as well

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Second year in a row the internet rumor mill is almost silent other than some pretty minor poo poo this time of year. The midseason trade is on life support.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rick posted:

Second year in a row the internet rumor mill is almost silent other than some pretty minor poo poo this time of year. The midseason trade is on life support.

I feel like there is such and even playing field this year that all the contenders are hedging their bets instead of trading for now

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Rick posted:

It's the No balls association. Simmons out. *Drops mic*

Seriously though, trade deadline day used to be one of the most exciting times of the year and now it's pretty much always lame, or it's like two major teams swapping a 10th man for a 2nd round pick or cash considerations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dwayne Wade is out of the ASG, and he's hoping Brandon Knight can be put in his place.

I hope he is, because I freaking love Knight.

http://espn.go.com/nba/allstar2015/story/_/id/12306111/dwyane-wade-miami-heat-play-2015-nba-all-star-game

E:Beaten!

PantsFreeZone posted:

Dwyane Wade says he's not going to play in the All-Star Game and that if he could pick his replacement, he'd like to see Brandon Knight make it.

Wade is the best. /sticks fingers in ears

• Locked thread