Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nintendo Kid posted:

And also you didn't have to get your rear end across the Rockies if you were on the West Coast, which was a pretty big thing for people dealing with destroyed travel and poo poo.

Avoiding a personal Donner party is a pretty big incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So if the Devil appeared before you - the one with the pointy horns and tail - and offered you a million dollars in one hand while his other hand clutched a pitchfork, you think a lot of people would take it?

I don't have any problem with authoritarianism but we're not talking Hitler here. We're talking a guy who, when you look at him, makes you realize he'd love nothing more than to burn millions of people and laugh and laugh at their writhing agony.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

NikkolasKing posted:

But why would any normal person choose to go to Flagg? The thing about Flagg is that, just like IT, people felt their evil when talking to them. No matter how much old Randy smiled and promised you the moon, anyone who ever talked to him comments on how he gives them a chill or something to that effect. No matter what he does he radiates malevolence and negativity.

Power, protection, security and charisma. The same things that lead anyone to follow a fascist.

Also, to the guy that liked It and wants a next reccomendation, but isn't sure about the Dark Tower, I'd go with Pet Semetary or possibly Cujo.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
People take the path of least resistance. Yes, people would choose a leader that is Flagg over going cold, hungry, alone and possibly sick. They would then justify the crazy or cruel stuff as "things that happen to other people" and look away.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NikkolasKing posted:

So if the Devil appeared before you - the one with the pointy horns and tail - and offered you a million dollars in one hand while his other hand clutched a pitchfork, you think a lot of people would take it?

I don't have any problem with authoritarianism but we're not talking Hitler here. We're talking a guy who, when you look at him, makes you realize he'd love nothing more than to burn millions of people and laugh and laugh at their writhing agony.

Mitt Romney won about 61 million votes. :v:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Provided that they're not required to personally do anything too horrible and all they've really got to do is just accept the fact that bad things happen to people? Yes, absolutely. No question at all about it.

If you're decently comfortable in your situation with favorable prospects maybe it would be a bad deal, but there are millions and millions of people who would leap at the chance. They could pay off all their student loans. Feed and clothe their kids. They could afford to live somewhere that's not a pestilential shithole in a horrible neighborhood. Own a reliable car instead of an oil-burning heap that's got 30 years and 500k+ miles on it. Get an education. Get a chance to get off that wheel where you work dead end jobs just to keep afloat without the time and energy and money to really improve the situation. It's very easy to refuse that offer when you've already got those things. It's a much different story when you do not.

Yes, there would absolutely be takers. There would be a loving line. I'd probably be in it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nintendo Kid posted:

Mitt Romney won about 61 million votes. :v:

It's so weird that voting isn't mandatory there.

Anyway, I've just started The Gunslinger on my Kindle. I got up to book 4 in 2005, but never finished the series. It's long past time I tried again!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Again you're missing the point. I have no problem with the idea people would work for even the most brutal of dictatorships if it meant improving their lives. The horrors in the Third World or even here in America can't and shouldn't be overlooked. If any of them jumped at the chance to work with [insert dictator here] I would never judge them or condemn them. Well I might but I'd give them a lot of leeway.

But Flagg is not just some despot, he is the Devil's Imp. He is the embodiment of evil. It's not a matter of life and death, it's a matter of souls. I'm gonna guess there' a Heaven and Hell in this verse and quite frankly I'd shoot myself in the head before joining Flagg because a mortal death, mortal pain, is nothing compared to an eternity in Hell. So if my options are starve to death now or suffer for the rest of existence...my options are pretty clear.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Again you're missing the point. I have no problem with the idea people would work for even the most brutal of dictatorships if it meant improving their lives. The horrors in the Third World or even here in America can't and shouldn't be overlooked. If any of them jumped at the chance to work with [insert dictator here] I would never judge them or condemn them. Well I might but I'd give them a lot of leeway.

But Flagg is not just some despot, he is the Devil's Imp. He is the embodiment of evil. It's not a matter of life and death, it's a matter of souls. I'm gonna guess there' a Heaven and Hell in this verse and quite frankly I'd shoot myself in the head before joining Flagg because a mortal death, mortal pain, is nothing compared to an eternity in Hell.

You've got to remember that not everyone believes in heaven or hell. Crazy dreams with some creepy dude who offers safety for servitude or some creepy old lady in a god drat cornfield who offers trials and hard times. That and the whole crossing the Rockies thing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

But Flagg is not just some despot, he is the Devil's Imp. He is the embodiment of evil. It's not a matter of life and death, it's a matter of souls. I'm gonna guess there' a Heaven and Hell in this verse and quite frankly I'd shoot myself in the head before joining Flagg because a mortal death, mortal pain, is nothing compared to an eternity in Hell.

First, nothing in the Stand implies or leads to the conclusion of an afterlife. Second, even if there was, there are plenty of people who are strong believers in heaven and hell that still do obviously lovely things.

Finally, it is very easy to claim that only people who deserved it were crucified/tortured/etc. Flagg doesn't appear to most as the devil, but as an attractive, intensely charismatic individual who may be ruthless but keeps everything in order.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I recall not one instance where anybody so much as looked at Flagg without shivering or feeling sick. I'm making a stab at finishing The Stand and I'm continuing where i left off, with Dayna's death.I cannot recall one single encounter with Flagg where the person didn't feel unsettled by his eyes or his grins or...anything really. Flagg can do nothing without making people feel like they're gonna die. And that's the difference between Randal Flagg and any despot you care to name. Flagg, in every action he takes, radiates malevolence. Because he is malevolence incarnate. The only thing people are grateful to him for is not killing them horribly.

Evil should not wear a big sign and that's what Flagg does. He oozes evil and there is no way I buy anyone siding with him unless they themselves acknowledge they don't care and are willingly malicious.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NikkolasKing posted:

I recall not one instance where anybody so much as looked at Flagg without shivering or feeling sick. I'm making a stab at finishing The Stand and I'm continuing where i left off, with Dayna's death.I cannot recall one single encounter with Flagg where the person didn't feel unsettled by his eyes or his grins or...anything really. Flagg can do nothing without making people feel like they're gonna die. And that's the difference between Randal Flagg and any despot you care to name. Flagg, in every action he takes, radiates malevolence. Because he is malevolence incarnate. The only thing people are grateful to him for is not killing them horribly.

Evil should not wear a big sign and that's what Flagg does. He oozes evil and there is no way I buy anyone siding with him unless they themselves acknowledge they don't care and are willingly malicious.

The thing is the random millions of people who move to Vegas don't all actually hang out with or see him on a regular basis. They have no need to, any more than you need to meet the governor of the state you're living in right now, or the mayor of your city.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

NikkolasKing posted:

Flagg's central court, the people who hang out with him, consists of people like Henreid and Trashcan Man who are too hosed-up to consider running away and are personally loyal to him for raising them up. That's part of the point of the final Vegas sequences. Henreid and Trashcan Man don't know any better than to do what they do. Everyone else, meanwhile, is willing to compromise with pure evil in order to not be hungry, or to have electric lights and heat again. Which is why they're condemned by God, because they sold their souls for a lightbulb.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

NikkolasKing posted:

You're kinda forgetting that everybody who goes to Flagg's side is some combination of a) mentally ill b) vulnerable c) career criminal or d) opportunist. Trash Can Man dreams of Mother Abgail but she scares him and he scares her. The Kid is insane. Lloyd realizes what Flagg is but is in such a bad situation, he has no choice but to go with him. Julie's stupid and most likely an abuse victim. Harold's unable to let go of his past. Nadine was directly manipulated all her life. There's people in Vegas who realize how evil he is but think it's the winning team. Better to be with him than against him. Stray kids running around because its the first place to take care of them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

quite frankly I'd shoot myself in the head before joining Flagg because a mortal death, mortal pain, is nothing compared to an eternity in Hell.

Suicide is a mortal sin!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Finished Revival last night and really enjoyed it! Was definitely not expecting that ending. Spent the whole book wondering when it would get Lovecraftian because of the quote at the beginning and was not disappointed. Some really spooky imagery, I thought.

I thought it was the scariest King has been in a while. I didn't really find 11/22/63 or Doctor Sleep scary at all so it was nice to get that thrill again, even if it was only really in the last few chapters. I feel like I've been so desensitized to written horror, and I think a lot of that has to do with reading It when I was a preteen. Nothing has really lived up to the pure terror I felt reading that book. Maybe I just need to reread like the rest of the thread has been doing haha.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Troposphere posted:

Finished Revival last night and really enjoyed it! Was definitely not expecting that ending. Spent the whole book wondering when it would get Lovecraftian because of the quote at the beginning and was not disappointed. Some really spooky imagery, I thought.

I thought it was the scariest King has been in a while. I didn't really find 11/22/63 or Doctor Sleep scary at all so it was nice to get that thrill again, even if it was only really in the last few chapters. I feel like I've been so desensitized to written horror, and I think a lot of that has to do with reading It when I was a preteen. Nothing has really lived up to the pure terror I felt reading that book. Maybe I just need to reread like the rest of the thread has been doing haha.

I don't think 11/22/63 was supposed to be scary.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't think 11/22/63 was supposed to be scary.

The vision of the future was kind of spooky. And now that I think about it, very similar to Revival's ending.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Only King tangentially, but are the Dark Tower comics any good? I picked up Gunslinger Born and started reading it, and it's pretty good but really just a comic translation of Wizard and Glass. There are a ton of others, are any of them any good?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Medullah posted:

Only King tangentially, but are the Dark Tower comics any good? I picked up Gunslinger Born and started reading it, and it's pretty good but really just a comic translation of Wizard and Glass. There are a ton of others, are any of them any good?

They're alright. They flesh out a fair bit of Roland's backstory, like the battle at Jericho Hill, but at all times it's important to remember that they weren't written by King.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is The Stand miniseries any good? Is the guy who plays Flagg at least good?

I'm really determined to finish the book this time but I'd like to watch the TV adaptation too if it's worth it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm really determined to finish the book this time but I'd like to watch the TV adaptation too if it's worth it.

It's Jamey Sheridan who you might remember as the police chief on Law and Order CI (that's the only thing I remember him from v0v.) He was pretty good/creepy I guess. Good ensemble cast for the time. It suffers the same problems as the book towards the end but it has a strong start, imo.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The production values are weird (a lot of exterior locations are sets) and the dialogue is cheesy as gently caress, but the cast makes it pretty great.

Rob Lowe is Nick Andros, he steals the whole show. Gary Sinise is also awesome as Stu. There's some other pretty good casting, like Ed Harris, and the rear end in a top hat old doctor from Scrubs playing Frannie's dad.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Joyland is 99p for Kindle in the UK at the moment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MLDUBEE/ref=docs-os-doi_0

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hedrigall posted:

The production values are weird (a lot of exterior locations are sets) and the dialogue is cheesy as gently caress, but the cast makes it pretty great.

Rob Lowe is Nick Andros, he steals the whole show. Gary Sinise is also awesome as Stu. There's some other pretty good casting, like Ed Harris, and the rear end in a top hat old doctor from Scrubs playing Frannie's dad.

Yes the casting was pretty strong. Ray Watson as Glen Bateman and Matt Frewer as Trashcan Man was pretty good too. I don't remember Ed Harris in it (I had to Google that).

I feel stupid for being excited for both The Stand and IT movies. Given the history of King movies I am bound to be let down. I have the most hope for the IT movies since Fukunaga is directing (his 6 minute continuous shot in True Detective was amazing), and I like that the plan is for it to be 2 movies. That said The Stand in 4 movies? Seems overkill. What does excite me is it seems these movies are being made my people who seem truly influence by these books. That said I wonder if both will get made. They are still listed as in development with only the directors attached.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you like denim?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

savinhill posted:

Do you like denim?

I really think that guy rocked his portrayal of Flagg, denim included.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Good to be back in this thread. Havent read King since Full Dark, No Stars but Ive read reviews that Revival was pretty good and it has been!

Just under 100 pages left so ive got quite a bit to go but was anyone else disappointed that (towards the end spoilers) Jacobs' pawn to get Jamie to visit him was Astrid? I mean yea that was his first and all but he hadnt seen her in 50 years. I wouldve cared a lot more if it was Bree or a family member or hell even Hugh.

I havent been spoiled on the ending yet so things probably will ratchet up

VVVYea thats probably part of the underwhelmed feeling VVV

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 11, 2015

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

the_american_dream posted:

Good to be back in this thread. Havent read King since Full Dark, No Stars but Ive read reviews that Revival was pretty good and it has been!

Just under 100 pages left so ive got quite a bit to go but was anyone else disappointed that (towards the end spoilers) Jacobs' pawn to get Jamie to visit him was Astrid? I mean yea that was his first and all but he hadnt seen her in 50 years. I wouldve cared a lot more if it was Bree or a family member or hell even Hugh.

I havent been spoiled on the ending yet so things probably will ratchet up

I thought it was incredibly odd and felt way too obvious "plot device"ish than anything else.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I finally finished it. It took me like two years but I finished The Stand.

Favorite characters were Nick, Glenn and Flagg Although, in a lot of ways, Larry is the star of the book. I hated him at first but he really comes into his own. His development is one of the high points of all three books.

I think the first Book was the best to be honest. Captain Trips.

The ending was...abrupt. A lot of it feels rushed. All that build up to Nadine being Flagg's "bride" and he just randomly kills her in a fit of rage? I get King was really trying to hammer home the ineffectiveness of evil and how it's self-destructive and all that but it still feels like a huge waste. Poor Trashcan Man though.

But I really liked Flagg and I'd like to see more of him. I might start The Eyes of the Dragon. Or maybe I should take a break from all the cosmic stuff. I'm surprised so many people seem to recommend and like Pet Sematary. Then again, I shouldn't judge it by the movie.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I finally finished it. It took me like two years but I finished The Stand.

Favorite characters were Nick, Glenn and Flagg Although, in a lot of ways, Larry is the star of the book. I hated him at first but he really comes into his own. His development is one of the high points of all three books.

I think the first Book was the best to be honest. Captain Trips.

The ending was...abrupt. A lot of it feels rushed. All that build up to Nadine being Flagg's "bride" and he just randomly kills her in a fit of rage? I get King was really trying to hammer home the ineffectiveness of evil and how it's self-destructive and all that but it still feels like a huge waste. Poor Trashcan Man though.

But I really liked Flagg and I'd like to see more of him. I might start The Eyes of the Dragon. Or maybe I should take a break from all the cosmic stuff. I'm surprised so many people seem to recommend and like Pet Sematary. Then again, I shouldn't judge it by the movie.

Yeah, there's a lot of subtle stuff about Louis Creed's doubts and urges that the movie excises - possibly rightly so - in the name of adaptation, and some scares that are chilling on the page, but fall flat in the movie, because existential angst and dread, as explained by the book's narrator, doesn't translate well sometimes! The book is a favorite of mine, because it gets under my skin, but I have no desire to see the movie again.

This litreactor column here:

http://litreactor.com/columns/book-vs-film-vs-unmade-film-pet-sematary

is full of spoilers for both as it compares them, and there's a quote towards the end that kind of lends us at least the possibility of hope that the upcoming new movie adaptation is a fresh take on the book, not a mere remake of the movie.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Many thanks due to the goon in this thread (can't remember who, was it Nate Fisher?) who mentioned Ticktock by Koontz thereby indirectly inspired this new thread: Wikipedia book trivia: In a fit of rebellion, he eats 2 cheeseburgers http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700491

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
just came here to post revival was really good and everyone who's given up hope on him should check it out. very good take on weird fiction.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Joyland is 99p for Kindle in the UK at the moment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MLDUBEE/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Was this any good? I just finished Mr Mercedes, and for a book that I didn't really like for the first 25% or so of it, it got really good and I ended up really liking it. I'm looking for something else to read, and I'm torn between something else new (Joyland or Revival) or one of the classics that I never got around to reading (Pet Sematary, The Shining, IT).

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I was a little surprised to read:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/12/james-franco-star-stephen-king-time-travel-series

quote:

Hulu has found a star for its first big drama series, signing James Franco to topline its time-travel thriller 11/22/63.

The Interview and 127 Hours actor will star as a high school English teacher who travels back in time to try and stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy. The project is a nine-hour event series produced by J.J. Abrams and writer-producer Bridget Carpenter and based on Stephen King’s 2011 bestseller of the same title.

The series will mark the return of Franco to the small screen, where he launched his career in Fox’s cult-favorite Freaks and Geeks in 1999 and had a recurring role on General Hospital.

Hulu’s 11/22/63 is expected to fully cover the self-contained story in King’s novel. What happens after that will likely depend on the project’s performance, but the show presumably could be a franchise that includes additional seasons tackling different historic events.

I didn't picture Jake Epping to look like Franco, but I think he can pull it off. It will be good to see him returning to more serious roles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm pretty sure the point of most of King's novels is that if a pitchfork-wielding cash-dispensing devil shows up at your door, you should not be afraid of him or the decisions you make, but you should be loving terrified of your neighbors.

I was thinking about Stephen King books last July when one of my car's tires blew out on the way to a work thing. I managed to navigate it into a little non-gated condo development that looked to be about 20 units clustered around a square parking lot. I got the car into one of the non-reserved spots and had a lot of time before help arrived. After like 15 minutes, a police car came by. They'd been called by one of the residents of the condos. This is around 1 pm on a Thursday afternoon, mind you. The cops actually seemed kind of sheepish about the whole thing. After they left I was just looking into all the curtained windows surrounding the parking lot, wondering who had made the call. The kind of person who would do that, that's a character from a Stephen King novel.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Was this any good? I just finished Mr Mercedes, and for a book that I didn't really like for the first 25% or so of it, it got really good and I ended up really liking it. I'm looking for something else to read, and I'm torn between something else new (Joyland or Revival) or one of the classics that I never got around to reading (Pet Sematary, The Shining, IT).

I really liked Joyland, more so than revival, and I'd say that it is more in line with Mr Mercedes. That said, IT and the shining are among the best things I've ever read.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

joepinetree posted:

I really liked Joyland, more so than revival, and I'd say that it is more in line with Mr Mercedes. That said, IT and the shining are among the best things I've ever read.

The audiobook of Joyland is really good as well. My only complaint is that maybe they could've done without the slight supernatural tint to it, but I get that's the driving force behind the whole plot. Still, it shows how good that King can be that I'm on the other side of the world and I can picture exactly everything he writes about.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

joepinetree posted:

Seconding It and The Shining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

NikkolasKing posted:

So there's something I want to comment on and then ask you all about.

Having finished IT, I see some similarities between IT and Randal Flagg. Namely in the department of "they can be nice, they can be alluring, but you still know they're evil." They both represented Evil at its most basic, fundamental level. They were creatures and personifications of it.

But the problem is, while this is fine and dandy for IT, Flagg bothered me. He was supposed to be a leader, someone a lot of people would flock to. And not just the evil or insane or te vindictive, but normal people too. Not everyone in his camp was actually supposed to be bad as far as I can recall. A lot of them were normal people.

But why would any normal person choose to go to Flagg? The thing about Flagg is that, just like IT, people felt their evil when talking to them. No matter how much old Randy smiled and promised you the moon, anyone who ever talked to him comments on how he gives them a chill or something to that effect. No matter what he does he radiates malevolence and negativity.

And so my question again why would anyone side with him apart from the most depraved? Yes I understand people were scared and desperate but this isn't a case of being fooled. I don't care how scared and desperate you are, if a guy fills you with mortal terror when you so much as dream about him, why would you go to him?

I think evil should be more...subtle.

Sometimes people interpret that instinctual fear as just a thrilling tingle and it is alluring.