Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So now the arguement is that parents shouldn't report when their kids commit petty crime because good parents don't snitch on their kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

So now the arguement is that parents shouldn't report when their kids commit petty crime because good parents don't snitch on their kids?

well in this case it is not the snitches who get the stiches

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Trabisnikof posted:

sorry mom and dad but i am reporting you to the police for your excessive speeding on your commute today.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Trabisnikof posted:

The point is that there is no such thing as a safe interaction with the police. If you're a parent and have the best interests of your child at heart, avoid any involvement with the justice system.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

quote:

"I basically framed him with my buddies," Kenzakoski said Tuesday.

Kenzakoski, a 44-year-old Bear Creek Township man employed in construction, said he planted drug paraphernalia in his son's truck about seven years ago, leading to his initial appearance in juvenile court. Fonzo alleges her son's assignment to a juvenile camp on the paraphernalia charge started him on a tortured path through the juvenile and adult court systems that culminated in his suicide last June.

he should've reported himself for purposely framing himself while he was at it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like how the dad was scared that his high school drinking would interfere with his college wrestling scholarship, aka the professional drinking world championship.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Hrmm gee should I frame my child, sabotage his future, and deliver him into one the most dysfunctional and abusive justice systems in the first world so he'll keep playing that sport I like I just don't know. Being a parent is just so damned hard! OH also I'm a loving idiot and my kid shot himself but the cop buddies who put me up to it think those two things probably aren't related.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Woozy posted:

Hrmm gee should I frame my child, sabotage his future, and deliver him into one the most dysfunctional and abusive justice systems in the first world so he'll keep playing that sport I like I just don't know. Being a parent is just so damned hard! OH also I'm a loving idiot and my kid shot himself but the cop buddies who put me up to it think those two things probably aren't related.

if you're Not Paying Attention it's easy to believe that the police are still the friendly neighborhood barney fife types who will scare some sense into your kid. unfortunately this dumbass father learned about the prison-industrial complex the hard way

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Woozy posted:

Pretty much Fargo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if you're Not Paying Attention it's easy to believe that the police are still the friendly neighborhood barney fife types who will scare some sense into your kid. unfortunately this dumbass father learned about the prison-industrial complex the hard way

I honestly thought that you could contact the police and set something up with them beforehand so this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

I honestly thought that you could contact the police and set something up with them beforehand so this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

yeah but control of events is still up to the officer(s) on scene so if they send Ofc. Roidrage out to gently talk some sense into your bratty kid,

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Last time I really had to call the cops in a non emergency I made a point to have them visit me at work and not home, pretty much because of this poo poo and the fact that I live in a shady neighborhood but work in a nice one. On the plus side their advice of "tell the person you called the cops" did get my dog back from someone trying to sell him on an Amazon.com employee black market sooooo, good on him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah but control of events is still up to the officer(s) on scene so if they send Ofc. Roidrage out to gently talk some sense into your bratty kid,

Okay, that's honestly the best point you could make against that. I get it now.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
The cop who shot Akai Gurley in a stairwell, then along with his partner, spent 6 minutes texting his union rep instead of providing aid, will be indicted

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

It was quickly shown that no, that wasn't the argument, that is a separate argument which can also be made convincingly. Would you care to discuss it? Do you think it's good to call the police on your own children, for crimes you didn't make up? Or maybe you'd prefer to let this blow over and post some other canard in a week about what "the argument is."

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

I've represented I don't know how many people reported to the cops by their parents. Nine times in ten it's drug-related or mental health-related, and the police are the absolute nuclear option for situations that have become completely untenable.

The majority of parents I deal with are shocked at the way their children are treated by the police and the criminal justice system, and ultimately come to regret having to rely on them to get basic mental health and substance abuse treatment for their children.

Parents are in the business of helping their children. The criminal justice system is not.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Don't point the police at someone you don't want to kill.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

It was quickly shown that no, that wasn't the argument, that is a separate argument which can also be made convincingly. Would you care to discuss it? Do you think it's good to call the police on your own children, for crimes you didn't make up? Or maybe you'd prefer to let this blow over and post some other canard in a week about what "the argument is."

I think this is an interesting question, those that would report a stranger to the police, would you ever report your own child for Joyriding? What if it was a neighbor's car? What about a neighbor's kid in your car?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

I think this is an interesting question, those that would report a stranger to the police, would you ever report your own child for Joyriding? What if it was a neighbor's car? What about a neighbor's kid in your car?

That's actually a difficult question, I would have to weigh the danger of them killing somebody through reckless driving against the danger of them (and bystanders) being hosed down with bullets by police. I don't think there's a good answer, and "call the police" doesn't really strike me as an answer deserving to be ranked any more highly than the others.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

quote:

The 28-year-old Gurley was killed Nov. 20 by NYPD Officer Peter Liang, who was patrolling the building with his gun drawn. New York City Police Commissioner William Bratton has said that Liang fired his weapon once after Gurley and his girlfriend opened a door to the stairwell, adding that Gurley was “totally innocent.”

Jesus H. gently caress, why in the world would the police patrol with guns drawn?

quote:

“It’s a tragic, tragic, tragic case,” Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association, told the New York Daily News. “I’m sad that he was indicted… I don’t know exactly what transpired in that hallway, but I believe it’s a truly accidental incident.”

Yeah, of course it's an accident that he shot someone for opening a door. The issue is that he went into the building finger on the trigger expecting to shoot someone dead.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
I like that he had to be "innocent" for it to be wrong to shoot him. It clearly is not enough that he was a man.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Randbrick posted:

I like that he had to be "innocent" for it to be wrong to shoot him. It clearly is not enough that he was a man.

I like that the implication is that "innocent until proven guilty in court" is completely out the window. Which it is. But they usually don't admit that.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Zeitgueist posted:

I like that the implication is that "innocent until proven guilty in court" is completely out the window. Which it is. But they usually don't admit that.

Dead men post no bail.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Murderion posted:

Jesus H. gently caress, why in the world would the police patrol with guns drawn?
He was using his weapon-mounted flashlight to see his way down a dark stairwell because NYC can't be bothered to maintain public housing to a basic standard of livability.

Trabisnikof posted:

Or you can blame NYPD for not using their huge budget on buying patrolmen flashlights.
gently caress man. There's MRAPs and sound cannons and fuckin' lasers and sick-tactical ninja outfits to buy! Flashlights are for pussies.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 11, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He was using his weapon-mounted flashlight to see his way down a dark stairwell because NYC can't be bothered to maintain public housing to a basic standard of livability.

Or you can blame NYPD for not using their huge budget on buying patrolmen flashlights.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
So being a cop in New York is actually less scary than Doom 3.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

So after all the times police departments have smeared victims of police shootings we're going to get indignant when this time the cops go out of their way to point out the victim was doing nothing wrong at the time?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jarmak posted:

So after all the times police departments have smeared victims of police shootings we're going to get indignant when this time the cops go out of their way to point out the victim was doing nothing wrong at the time?

Have we really set the bar so low that merely meeting the minimal levels of decency is worthy of praise, despite someone being dead? Your own question already admits how rare this is. Get back to me when it's the rule and not the exception.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Do those flashlights need your safety off for them to work?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

Haha a safety?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Bedshaped posted:

He was carrying a Glock, which don't have external safeties, only a trigger safety.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

Glocks have grip safeties.

Besides don't NYPD guns have some sort of ridiculously heavy trigger pull? It's not like he was startled and it just went off when he flinched.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

Glocks have grip safeties.

Besides don't NYPD guns have some sort of ridiculously heavy trigger pull? It's not like he was startled and it just went off when he flinched.

They don't have a grip safety, only the trigger bar. And yeah their pistols have the New York Trigger "upgrade" which makes the trigger pull like 13 pounds. Heavy enough to be impossible for casual shooters to keep on target, but not heavy enough to prevent reflexively jerking the trigger.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Bedshaped posted:

Assuming it was the ubiquitous-in-policing Glock, they don't actually have a safety. I'm fairly positive that basic trigger discipline would have solved the issue, or if the dude wasn't using his firearm for a flashlight. Which is a terrible idea anyway. I don't care if the department doesn't buy them flashlights, go loving get one before using your fire. They're like $3 for a cheap one and $30 for a nice one.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 11, 2015

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

LogisticEarth posted:

Assuming it was the ubiquitous-in-policing Glock

It was - at least one article identifies Liang's gun as a 9mm Glock.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What kind of idiot walks around with his finger wrapped around the trigger like it's nothing? He doesn't need to be let near anything dangerous. Ever.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

They don't have a grip safety, only the trigger bar. And yeah their pistols have the New York Trigger "upgrade" which makes the trigger pull like 13 pounds. Heavy enough to be impossible for casual shooters to keep on target, but not heavy enough to prevent reflexively jerking the trigger.

Yeah gently caress me I shouldn't post before my second cup of coffee. Remembered no manual safety, don't know where I got the idea in my head it was a grip safety instead of a trigger bar.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

GreyPowerVan posted:

What kind of idiot walks around with his finger wrapped around the trigger like it's nothing? He doesn't need to be let near anything dangerous. Ever.

The same kind that shoots an innocent person and then starts texting. Is this guy currently sitting in jail or is he on paid leave?

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Article said he planned on turning himself in today sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Why not have a manual saftey? Something you have to deliberetly click "on" before firing?

• Locked thread